Wine list

JerseyShore

There are several threads postings LIVE from Sapphire and Discovery this week. I happened to find this page posted today. Page from Vines, I think. See previous post where I copied it.

Edited by CruzeQueen2

57 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

This thread from April 2022 has photos provided by HaveDogWillTravel although availability can vary due to supply issues.

This is over a year old and likely no longer accurate, especially with the increase in Plus and Premier packages and the corresponding increases in menu prices.

9 hours ago, Teechur said:

If I buy wine at various ports, can I pay the corkage fee with On Board Credit?

The corkage fee is charged to your onboard account & would use available OBC as payment. OBC is a credit to your account from which any debits are deducted except when purchasing FCDs which are directly charged to the creditcard you’re using to pay your account’s balance.

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

The corkage fee is charged to your onboard account & would use available OBC as payment. OBC is a credit to your account from which any debits are deducted except when purchasing FCDs which are directly charged to the creditcard you’re using to pay your account’s balance.

Mahalos! 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Ughhhh.... They're back to listing Plus wines by just varietal and not vineyard.

At least the jug, box , or bag has a varietal on it. --------- or does it? Princess at one point did a whole promo on the wine sommelier and the selections at sea , best at sea Blah , blah,  ------ so maybe the box doesn't have a varietal and the sommelier earns his keep sitting in the back of the kitchen and is  "like well this box is a little like carmenere , we will call it that , the internet stinks at sea people won't be able to look it up, and most people will not know what that is -- carmenere, 'nest jug this is a little different  ---" red blend" ok guys my job is done". 

honestly with this method of plus wine selections; if i was that guy i'd ask to have my name and likeness taken of the web site. this method does not speak highly of him.  

At bars I've always seen wine (even the Plus swill) poured from a bottle (with a label).  But in the MDR you won't see what bottle it was poured from, and the waiter may not even know what swill du jour they're serving today until they go to pour it.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

At bars I've always seen wine (even the Plus swill) poured from a bottle (with a label).  But in the MDR you won't see what bottle it was poured from, and the waiter may not even know what swill du jour they're serving today until they go to pour it.

On the Sapphire over the holidays we were seated several nights backing up to a servers station, the red wine was definitely out of a box.  At the bars always asked what wine they were pouring.   

4 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

On the Sapphire over the holidays we were seated several nights backing up to a servers station, the red wine was definitely out of a box.  At the bars always asked what wine they were pouring.   

Not the case on Sky last month. Wine was served from the same bottles as in the bars (eg Take 5, Crown Grill etc)

If the Plus package allows you drinks for up to $15, how come the only wines available are a lot less than that, $12 maximum?

Does anyone, maybe currently onboard, know what you get as a Merlot or a Cabernet Sauv? Is it just any old stuff they have to hand because it seems very sneaky not to specify what the wine is. I'm sure it used to be much more specific...

5 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

If the Plus package allows you drinks for up to $15, how come the only wines available are a lot less than that, $12 maximum?

Does anyone, maybe currently onboard, know what you get as a Merlot or a Cabernet Sauv? Is it just any old stuff they have to hand because it seems very sneaky not to specify what the wine is. I'm sure it used to be much more specific...

What we do is buy the more expensive wines, and then pay the difference. ie pay $3.54 for an $18 glass.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What we do is buy the more expensive wines, and then pay the difference. ie pay $3.54 for an $18 glass.

Yes I saw that option from the list. You're right, the Duckhorn Paraduxx and Silverado Cab Sauv are very good quality wines for not an awful lot more.

But I'm still interested in 'not an awful lot more' than what? There was another thread on here where someone posted a similar/same Plus list as above, but seems to have asked the barman to show the bottles he was offering. There was a very ropy Canyon Road. But then next to it, A Duckhorn Decoy Merlot. That's not too bad at all. Is one likely to get that onboard? Is it really pot luck and they just serve you a Canyon Road if you don't say, no thanks to that?

26 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

Yes I saw that option from the list. You're right, the Duckhorn Paraduxx and Silverado Cab Sauv are very good quality wines for not an awful lot more.

But I'm still interested in 'not an awful lot more' than what? There was another thread on here where someone posted a similar/same Plus list as above, but seems to have asked the barman to show the bottles he was offering. There was a very ropy Canyon Road. But then next to it, A Duckhorn Decoy Merlot. That's not too bad at all. Is one likely to get that onboard? Is it really pot luck and they just serve you a Canyon Road if you don't say, no thanks to that?

To be honest,  you more or less have to take what is offered. 

If you ask for a Merlot, you get whatever Merlot there is behind that particular bar. You don't normally have any choice in the matter. 

Our "go to" choice was the Malbec or Pinot Noir - neither would win any prizes,  but were OK for session wines. We would then trade up in the evenings.  

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be honest,  you more or less have to take what is offered. 

If you ask for a Merlot, you get whatever Merlot there is behind that particular bar. You don't normally have any choice in the matter. 

Our "go to" choice was the Malbec or Pinot Noir - neither would win any prizes,  but were OK for session wines. We would then trade up in the evenings.  

How disappointing given what appeared to be the case before.

But I think your solution makes sense, trading up in the evening. There's some good stuff at the higher price level and as you say, only a few bucks extra.

Sometimes, when discussing wine prices on a cruise, it is like entering a parallel universe, where normal pricing no longer exists.

Yes, I know that there will be an enormous mark up, as there is in a land based restaurant,  and that many cruisers will have a package.

But, take the case of the Silverado Cab Sauv. $18 a glass, or $21 with service charge. Lets assume a generous 4 pours to a bottle - so $84 a bottle. For a Brit like me,  that equates to almost £70 a bottle!

Silverado is perfectly pleasant,  but the markup  is getting on for over 650%, when compared to similar wines available in the UK, and I guess in the US as well. 

I just wonder if Princess have thrown the pricing manual out of the window,  now that so many of us have a package, and just slot wines into either a sub $15 or sub $20 category, regardless of the base cost  of  the wine.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sometimes, when discussing wine prices on a cruise, it is like entering a parallel universe, where normal pricing no longer exists.

Yes, I know that there will be an enormous mark up, as there is in a land based restaurant,  and that many cruisers will have a package.

But, take the case of the Silverado Cab Sauv. $18 a glass, or $21 with service charge. Lets assume a generous 4 pours to a bottle - so $84 a bottle. For a Brit like me,  that equates to almost £70 a bottle!

Silverado is perfectly pleasant,  but the markup  is getting on for over 650%, when compared to similar wines available in the UK, and I guess in the US as well. 

I just wonder if Princess have thrown the pricing manual out of the window,  now that so many of us have a package, and just slot wines into either a sub $15 or sub $20 category, regardless of the base cost  of  the wine.

I have to agree with your summation.

BTW- What are your favorite reds and whites?

1 minute ago, nini said:

I have to agree with your summation.

BTW- What are your favorite reds and whites?

I'm not a connoisseur.  But, I enjoy a full bodied rioja, and a meaty Malbec. White wine - again,  a good white rioja,  although not that easy to find. 

• Like 1