Cruises with More Sea Days or Cruises with More Port Days

Port days, but probably for a different reason than most. The ship is my destination. I get on and I don't get off again until I have to. I like port days because most people are off the ship and I can enjoy the amenities and the quiet. I like some of the sea day activities, but I'm willing to forego them to have an uncrowded ship.

• Like 4

It really depends on my objective for the particular cruise. I've been on crossings and enjoyed the relaxation of many peaceful sea days in a row. I've been on port intensive cruises in the Caribbean and Europe with one sea day in a 7 or 8 day cruise and enjoyed that. If I want a break, I can always choose some port days to follow a relaxed schedule - go off the ship on my own to enjoy the local town for a few hours and then return to spend some quiet time on the ship instead of trying to fit every possible thing in. 

On an 18-day cruise early in the return to sailing after COVID, we pre-booked an excursion for every port because of concern that the ports might only allow leaving the ship on a ship excursion. That's the one thing I found I didn't enjoy. It was too hectic and regimented. I ended up cancelling some of the ship excursions to be more relaxed.

• 2 weeks later...

If Europe more port days since most of Europe is new to me ( have done just 2 European cruises)

if Caribbean more sea days have done about 60 Caribbean cruises and just want to relax on the ship .

With more than 50 years of extensive cruising under our belt, we do not see this as an either/or issue.  DW and I enjoy both sea days and port days.  To us, the ideal cruise is at least a month long with about a 50-50 mix of both port days and sea days.  On a relatively short Caribbean cruise (assume no more than 14 days) we really do not care as we stay aboard the ship at some ports for which we have little interest (been there...done that).  

We are currently thinking about booking a 35 day cruise which involves both a transatlantic component and Med cruise.  Much of the first 10 days are sea days and the last two weeks are almost all port days.  While we are fine with staying on the ship in most Caribbean ports, the Med is somewhat different since the ports are quite interesting (even though we have been to most of them many times).  But, in Europe, we can compromise and turn a port day into a very relaxing day by limiting our touring and having a nice long lunch ashore.

My message to fellow cruisers is quite simple.  Port days can always be treated as "sea days" by simply staying aboard and enjoying a near empty vessel.  But sea days can only be sea days although folks can certainly vary what they do from many activities to just a lazy day eating, drinking, and reading.

We have often talked to fellow cruisers in Europe who complain they are worn out from all the long port days.  That prompts the question, "why don't you just go off on your own and plan a relaxing day?"  

Hank

• 5 weeks later...

Right so this is how it played out.

Day 1. Arrived Rome.

Day 2 Sicily. Excursion was cancelled by provider. Stayed on ship. Also slightly hung over.

Day 3 sea day

Day 4 santorini.

Did volcanic ash beach visit. Then walked down the 580 steps back to ship. Hated it. Felt sorry for the poor donkeys. Cruelty to animals.

Day 5. Mykonos

Stayed on ship. Looked nice though.  Hung over part 2.

Day 6. Istanbul.

Afternoon on Bosphorus then a trip to the grand bazaar.

Day 7. Istanbul 

Stayed on ship

Day 8. Kusadasi

Trip to ephesus. Loved it there. Kusadasi is wonderful

Day 9. Athens 

Acropolis visit. Not as good as i had hoped.  Roads were horrendously busy.

Day 10 sea day incl rescue incident. 

Day 11 naples

Just hoped off boat for an hours look round. More of sea day. Very very hung over.

Day 12 back to Rome 

So i reckon that's 5.5 days on ship 4.5 on land.

Not bothered if I never go back to santorini ever again. Biggest disappointment of cruise.

Edited by DarrenM

I personally love sea days. I find looking at the ocean very relaxing. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy exploring ports as well. And with port days there is always the option of just staying on the ship.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2023 at 5:55 PM, caribe123 said:

Sea days… a mix of half and half

No so long ago the perfect cruise would have had zero sea days.  Now, being a little older and perhaps needing a few "rest" days, we appreciate some sea days.  But still, we would want the majority of days to be at port.  It is hard to say what the perfect mix might be.   If I have to I would say up to 1/3 sea days.   I think half sea days on a great itinerary would be good too, but that would probably be our max.  

Edited by ldubs

I like about half and half. If there are too many port days, I may not get off in a particualr port at all, especially if it is one i have been to before and did not particularly enjoy. These Slef-created sea days are some of the most relaxing.