Probably the most boring topic on here today

WexIrl

After reading another forum post, it motivated me to try something!

For the first time of my cruise 'life' 😆 I just tried to book my cruise again after I had put down the original deposit to to see the price difference.

The same cruise (with everything included in each price point), a like for like comparison.

That is including the deposit I paid for 4 of us back in 2022.

My booking with 50% off is more expensive than the current offer of 35% off with all the same additions etc (there is no difference in the room or package)

If I cancel and re book I save money! 🙃

#Please advise

Yes cancelling and rebooking can be worth it in your case even with the loss of deosit.
In the US they can reprice without a penalty, we can't in Europe.

I tend to wait until after final payment then do a paid upgrade, I have gone from inside to balcony before for £10 per person.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

Not boring at all.  Just call your TA or if you booked directly with NCL call them.  Tell them the situation and ask for the adjustment.  No need to lose your deposit if you don't have too.  That would be the worst case.  

Saving money is simply saving money.  Good for you for doing your due Diligence. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

Not at all boring.

You have to choose between losing your deposit but getting a better price. You may also get an on-board credit with a simple phone call.

If it's past the final due date, expect nothing. That's just the way it is.

Unfortunately, we're using multiple CruiseNext credits. If we cancel and rebook, they're gone.

10 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Not at all boring.

You have to choose between losing your deposit but getting a better price. You may also get an on-board credit with a simple phone call.

If it's past the final due date, expect nothing. That's just the way it is.

Unfortunately, we're using multiple CruiseNext credits. If we cancel and rebook, they're gone.

I thought if you canceled the CN credits went back into your account, am I wrong?

3 minutes ago, redmomof4 said:

I thought if you canceled the CN credits went back into your account, am I wrong?

I honestly don't know. Maybe you can try it and let us know.  😂 I'm not risking my CN credits.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

I honestly don't know. Maybe you can try it and let us know.  😂 I'm not risking my CN credits.

no thanks, but I'm pretty sure when I cancelled a cruise once before mine were back in my account per my PCC and I used them on my next one. Maybe a call to your PCC if it ever comes up and a big savings would make a difference

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

If you cancel, your credits go back into your account.  Done it many times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RB9643 said:

Are you sure about that?  I thought that CruiseNext certs just returned to the account if the cruise is cancelled.  Are there any experts out there who can confirm????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you sure about that?  I thought that CruiseNext certs just returned to the account if the cruise is cancelled.  Are there any experts out there who can confirm????

I'm talking about cancel and rebook on the same cruise with the same CN credits. And I'm mostly referring to trying this past the final due date.

Yes, any experts would be appreciated.

47 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

I'm talking about cancel and rebook on the same cruise with the same CN credits. And I'm mostly referring to trying this past the final due date.

Yes, any experts would be appreciated.

ahhh, past final payment date doesn't make any sense to cancel and rebook as you would lose everything, cn certs, and all your $$$. But you could call and ask for a FCC if the price has gone down, or try to upgrade at minimal cost also if the prices have dropped

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Not boring at all.  Just call your TA or if you booked directly with NCL call them.  Tell them the situation and ask for the adjustment.  No need to lose your deposit if you don't have too.  That would be the worst case.  

Saving money is simply saving money.  Good for you for doing your due Diligence. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

This is incorrect, as I already posted, the price can't be adjusted without penalty for the OP, they are not in the US.

Maybe I read it wrong, but the 35% off promo is actually 35% off both guests 1 and 2. So it's actually 70% off in total which is bigger than 50% off (assuming they haven't first raised prices before giving the bigger discount, which they're notoriously famous for).

13 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Yes cancelling and rebooking can be worth it in your case even with the loss of deosit.
In the US they can reprice without a penalty, we can't in Europe.

I tend to wait until after final payment then do a paid upgrade, I have gone from inside to balcony before for £10 per person.

This is true for us in the Uk as I’ve just repriced a cruise that had dropped in the latest sale.£35 per person to have it repriced, my cruise final payment isn’t until December but I paid it off two weeks ago! Now I am waiting for them to put £130 back on my credit card.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, di T said:

This is true for us in the Uk as I’ve just repriced a cruise that had dropped in the latest sale.£35 per person to have it repriced, my cruise final payment isn’t until December but I paid it off two weeks ago! Now I am waiting for them to put £130 back on my credit card.

I'm pretty sure it is the case for all of Europe, it's certainly the case for the UK & Ireland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I'm pretty sure it is the case for all of Europe, it's certainly the case for the UK & Ireland.

Hi. Based in Ireland. Any other options apart from paid upgrade in case of price drop after final payment? Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, Nataly1982 said:

Hi. Based in Ireland. Any other options apart from paid upgrade in case of price drop after final payment? Thanks. 

Yes, as long as you are not booked in a guarantee, you can request a price match, if accepted you will receive portion of the difference as a FCC to be used on another cruise within a year. our current cruise dropped £400 after final payment, we were refused as we booked a guarantee. Our friends dropped £430 and they got a £390 FCC.

• Thanks 1

There is another scenario wherein you can lose a cruise next credit, I used one that had an expiry of December 31st 2022 but could be used for a sailing up to December 31st 2023. If I were to cancel the 2023 cruise now, that cruise next credit would promptly disappear into the ether never to be seen again. It was one that I had purchased pre-covid and had its expiry date extended as a result of that. 
for European customers our deposit is theoretically forfeit for any cancellation beyond 14days from original booking and the 14 days window is an EU rule to allow “cooling off” for online purchases, e.g. you were madly intoxicated when you made the booking and when you sobered up you realised you didn’t want it anymore. 
However if you are outside the final payment date and get ahold of a cooperative NCL person on the phone they may be able to move your deposit to a different sailing,  it’s the flat out cancellations they want to avoid. 

5 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Yes, as long as you are not booked in a guarantee, you can request a price match, if accepted you will receive portion of the difference as a FCC to be used on another cruise within a year. our current cruise dropped £400 after final payment, we were refused as we booked a guarantee. Our friends dropped £430 and they got a £390 FCC.

Thanks, this is great info. Would appreciate if you could explain how the process of price match works please. We are sailing next Sunday. Many thanks. 

Edited by Nataly1982

Thank you all for the informative replies, much appreciated.

Quick update.

I called NCL last night and was put through to a US representative who advised me that they no longer look after European customers and that I should call back during office hours on Sunday.

Today I called again and got through to a very nice representative (Millie), I outlined very politely the price difference etc, and Millie had a look and after a while on hold advised that I was only 7 weeks away from my cruise and I was outside of the time frame where she could help (she did initially at the start of the call mention upgrades etc for the price difference).

Millie did advise that she was passing my inquiry to another team and they will be in contact with me in the next week to see if they can do anything for me.

No wait time on either call, I was connected straight away and both representatives were very nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WexIrl said:

Thank you all for the informative replies, much appreciated.

Quick update.

I called NCL last night and was put through to a US representative who advised me that they no longer look after European customers and that I should call back during office hours on Sunday.

Today I called again and got through to a very nice representative (Millie), I outlined very politely the price difference etc, and Millie had a look and after a while on hold advised that I was only 7 weeks away from my cruise and I was outside of the time frame where she could help (she did initially at the start of the call mention upgrades etc for the price difference).

Millie did advise that she was passing my inquiry to another team and they will be in contact with me in the next week to see if they can do anything for me.

No wait time on either call, I was connected straight away and both representatives were very nice.

Strange but normally you get a response in 24 to 48hrs.

• Like 1