11 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

From John Heald:

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE’S NEW RESTAURANT CONCEPT ‘IL VIAGGIO’

WILL EMBARK GUESTS ON A CULINARY JOURNEY ABOARD CARNIVAL VENEZIA

Reservations Open for New Specialty Dining Experience

image.thumb.png.4fb2b49a4b5f5558301b79298b95027b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are doing the 15-day Venezia in September 2023 for $100 pp.  So, it was a no brainer to book the steakhouse, Il Viaggio, and Bonsai Teppenyaki on 3 of the 7 Sea days.  Just an extra date night with my love as we travel through the Southern Caribbean.   We are excited!  While the price may be a little high, hopefully the experience will be worth it.  My wife was excited by the menu, and that RARELY happens, so I'll take it!

• Like 1

Would love to see an actual menu. On HAL, the Italian specialty is $19/pp, while the steakhouse price aligns w/Carnival's. However, Canaletto (the Italian place) does not have it's own room - it is carved out of former Lido space, so maybe it's not considered "high end specialty " enough to warrant the higher charge.

Or maybe Carnival decided to charge more for Il Viaggio because it's a "new" specialty themed ship. 

We were able to book for both nights on a B2B in Sept, along w/Steakhouse, Teppanyaki, and GEAH. So they're getting specialty dining $$ from my group (no OBC to use). We will monitor reviews and cancel if they're not favorable, so possibly some last minute openings down the road. 🙃

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment

On 5/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, kona_wahine said:

It will be almost $100 for the 2 of us, but doing it instead of the usual steakhouse. My hubby says “$100 for spaghetti?” 🤣 I showed him a picture of the steak, which looks pretty good. I really want to because it’s the Italian ship. 12 day cruise so something a little different. 

$112 canadian dollars...ouch

19 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Would love to see an actual menu. On HAL, the Italian specialty is $19/pp, while the steakhouse price aligns w/Carnival's. However, Canaletto (the Italian place) does not have it's own room - it is carved out of former Lido space, so maybe it's not considered "high end specialty " enough to warrant the higher charge.

Or maybe Carnival decided to charge more for Il Viaggio because it's a "new" specialty themed ship. 

We were able to book for both nights on a B2B in Sept, along w/Steakhouse, Teppanyaki, and GEAH. So they're getting specialty dining $$ from my group (no OBC to use). We will monitor reviews and cancel if they're not favorable, so possibly some last minute openings down the road. 🙃

Remember that Cucina del Capitano (the specialty Italian on other Carnival ships) is $18pp. I'm guessing this is a completely different experience.  Perfect for their Italian ships.  I'm confident it'll be added to Firenze as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

John posted the full menu:

image.thumb.png.6a71b034171b1730b34fd30a4b2887d4.png

Thanks for posting.   I'm sure this will appeal to folks in areas where Italian restaurants that serve something other than chicken parm and pizza are not easy to find.   I live in the NY Metro, and I suspect on this ship there will be a large number of folks from the area as well, and these dishes seem common in most area Italian eateries.   Not really enough for me to plunk down land-priced money to eat there when I can eat the same on land.   When I cruise, I tend to like to try experiences that are different than what I might not normally eat.   I don't always get to do this, I mean I'll have a steak if I go to the steakhouse and the cruise line steaks are usually very good. This just looks like what I can get at 4-5 local places that serve upscale Italian dishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, steveknj said:

Thanks for posting...Not really enough for me to plunk down land-priced money to eat there when I can eat the same on land.   When I cruise, I tend to like to try experiences that are different than what I might not normally eat...This just looks like what I can get at 4-5 local places that serve upscale Italian dishes.

Also appreciative of seeing the menu to help make a more informed decision on spending basically $100. While I live in a major Metro area (DFW), I don't have easy access to an abundance of authentic quality Italian restaurants (investors/chefs/transplants take note of an opportunity) so I was excited to hear about the addition of Il Viaggio on my upcoming cruises.

Truly wish the price was more in line with Italian specialty dining on CCL other ships.

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Also appreciative of seeing the menu to help make a more informed decision on spending basically $100. While I live in a major Metro area (DFW), I don't have easy access to an abundance of authentic quality Italian restaurants (investors/chefs/transplants take note of an opportunity) so I was excited to hear about the addition of Il Viaggio on my upcoming cruises.

Truly wish the price was more in line with Italian specialty dining on CCL other ships.

I think the Fine Dining Experience, of Il Mulino New York Trattoria.

"Il Mulino New York Trattoria is based on a bistro voted best Italian restaurant in New York City for 2 decades by Zagat."  

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/swan-hotel/il-mulino-new-york-trattoria/

Edited by gkbiiii

12 hours ago, steveknj said:

Thanks for posting.   I'm sure this will appeal to folks in areas where Italian restaurants that serve something other than chicken parm and pizza are not easy to find.   I live in the NY Metro, and I suspect on this ship there will be a large number of folks from the area as well, and these dishes seem common in most area Italian eateries.   Not really enough for me to plunk down land-priced money to eat there when I can eat the same on land.   When I cruise, I tend to like to try experiences that are different than what I might not normally eat.   I don't always get to do this, I mean I'll have a steak if I go to the steakhouse and the cruise line steaks are usually very good. This just looks like what I can get at 4-5 local places that serve upscale Italian dishes.

New Yorkers do pay top dollar for Il Mulino New York Trattoria.  I've been to both the Disney property and the one in Sunny Isles Beach, "Florida's Riviera." 

13 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

New Yorkers do pay top dollar for Il Mulino New York Trattoria.  I've been to both the Disney property and the one in Sunny Isles Beach, "Florida's Riviera." 

Not saying no, but what I'm saying is that the dishes are common in lots of Italian places in the metro area.   And while people pay top dollar for "trendy" restaurants, often they are just that, trendy.  The better places are often local, unknown places that are probably half the price.   I always argue with pizza lovers who spout this or that Manhattan joint that the best pizza is not in Manhattan but the neighborhood places in the outer boroughs.   Stuff in Manhattan is pricey but no better, because they cater to the tourists and snobs.

I wish there was something different in the menu I couldn't get elsewhere.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, steveknj said:

Not saying no, but what I'm saying is that the dishes are common in lots of Italian places in the metro area.   And while people pay top dollar for "trendy" restaurants, often they are just that, trendy.  The better places are often local, unknown places that are probably half the price.   I always argue with pizza lovers who spout this or that Manhattan joint that the best pizza is not in Manhattan but the neighborhood places in the outer boroughs.   Stuff in Manhattan is pricey but no better, because they cater to the tourists and snobs.

I wish there was something different in the menu I couldn't get elsewhere.

I love Italian food and agree that each borough of NY has there best Italian restaurant. If     we decide to do NYC anytime soon, Carmines in the theatre district has my vote. 

13 minutes ago, nanamobo said:

I love Italian food and agree that each borough of NY has there best Italian restaurant. If     we decide to do NYC anytime soon, Carmines in the theatre district has my vote. 

And for the huge number of Venezia passengers that do not live in/near NYC, there's an option to dine at Il Viaggio...

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the menu.

As an Italian, I can tell that something on the menu is wrong.😉

the burrata from Lombardy... (the burrata is from Puglia)
the (pasta) genovese...from Liguria.... is actually a typical dish of Naples...Campania.
cacciucco with polenta .. from Campania (it is a typical Tuscan dish)

26 minutes ago, dalsnibba said:

Thanks for posting the menu.

As an Italian, I can tell that something on the menu is wrong.😉

the burrata from Lombardy... (the burrata is from Puglia)
the (pasta) genovese...from Liguria.... is actually a typical dish of Naples...Campania.
cacciucco with polenta .. from Campania (it is a typical Tuscan dish)

Well that's not a good start. Hopefully they are well made...

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2023 at 2:07 AM, ilovesparky13 said:

Yeah I’m not interested in even more Italian food. *yawn* Let me know when they implement something that’s actually interesting. 

It's Costa by Carnival on an Italian influenced ship called the Venezia, which if you can look at the spelling implies Venice, so there is a full sized gondola on board.  So, it goes without saying that there will be a top end Italian restaurant on board.

Please educate us with what your best case scenario would be regarding "something that's actually interesting."

On 5/9/2023 at 1:07 AM, ilovesparky13 said:

Yeah I’m not interested in even more Italian food. *yawn* Let me know when they implement something that’s actually interesting. 

Respectfully, it's an Italian themed ship - perhaps you should consider booking a different ship.

After perusing the menu, we'll be passing.  Onda by Scarpetta is an optional Italian specialty venue on a few of the NCL ships (Encore, Prima, Viva) and provides a much better offering and their veal milanese doesn't have a $20.00 upcharge that this new venue on the Venezia has.

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/onda-1.jpg.optimal.jpg

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/onda-2-1.jpeg.optimal.jpeg

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/onda-dessert-3.jpeg.optimal.jpeg

Above are links to the actual menu.  Most cruisers use a specialty meal credit, so you can ignore the pricing.  But, as a couple you could get a pizza and an app or two apps, a pasta dish pp, an entree pp, a side pp and a dessert pp.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

After perusing the menu, we'll be passing.  Onda by Scarpetta is an optional Italian specialty venue on a few of the NCL ships (Encore, Prima, Viva) and provides a much better offering and their veal milanese doesn't have a $20.00 upcharge that this new venue on the Venezia has.

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/onda-1.jpg.optimal.jpg

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/onda-2-1.jpeg.optimal.jpeg

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/onda-dessert-3.jpeg.optimal.jpeg

Above are links to the actual menu.  Most cruisers use a specialty meal credit, so you can ignore the pricing.  But, as a couple you could get a pizza and an app or two apps, a pasta dish pp, an entree pp, a side pp and a dessert pp.

@CruizinSusan70 what menus are these - NCL?

• Thanks 1