Visa for cruise to Vietnam

daveb714

In August I am traveling on a Royal Caribbean Cruise that stops in Vietnam along with several other countries.  I know that Vietnam requires a Visa for US citizens but I am trying to determine if this will be provided on the ship on arrival to Vietnam.  I found one topic on Cruise Critic that says it will be provided on the ship but I really want to see something in writing from Royal Caribbean.  I called Royal Caribbean and they referred me to Visa Central.  Visa Central said the Visa would be provided on the ship but I still have nothing in writing.  Is anyone able to point me to something from Royal Caribbean that specifically says they will provide a Visa.  If I can't find something in writing, I feel like I need to apply for a Visa through normal channels.  Hopefully someone can help.

From personal experience and the experiences of others, yes - all cruise lines arrange Vietnam visas for guests of all (certainly all mainstream) nationalities. They've always been cheaper as well as easier than everyone getting their own tourist visas on-line from the Vietnamese government, but are only valid for arrival & departure on the ship - which of course is fine for the vast majority of ocean cruisers.

Here's a recent thread on the subject - it was posted because the OP learned that NCL are actually charging considerably more for their ship-issued visa than the cost of organising your own pukka tourist visa, but there's other more general visa info in the thread as well

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930615-vietnam-cruise-stops-and-e-visa/#comment-65195898

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

You have the answer you need and it's that the ship provides the Visa required for your Vietnam port stop.

Many people on our cruise that included Vietnam had gotten their Visa's independently and were so sorry they had done this...the ship provided the Visa's to everyone...regardless.

No need to stress over this..it will be taken care of once onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I answered on the other post where you asked this same question.

YES...the ship will arrange for the Visa needed to port stop in Vietnam.

Those that felt the need to apply for them directly pre-cruise were very unhappy they had and the added expense to do so.

The ship at some point prior to arriving into Vietnam will collect your Pass Port and return it with the Vietnam Visa before your scheduled stop there.

1 hour ago, daveb714 said:

In August I am traveling on a Royal Caribbean Cruise that stops in Vietnam along with several other countries.  I know that Vietnam requires a Visa for US citizens but I am trying to determine if this will be provided on the ship on arrival to Vietnam.  I found one topic on Cruise Critic that says it will be provided on the ship but I really want to see something in writing from Royal Caribbean.  I called Royal Caribbean and they referred me to Visa Central.  Visa Central said the Visa would be provided on the ship but I still have nothing in writing.  Is anyone able to point me to something from Royal Caribbean that specifically says they will provide a Visa.  If I can't find something in writing, I feel like I need to apply for a Visa through normal channels.  Hopefully someone can help.

Depending on your first port of entry into Vietnam: If you are an American citizen, you may be qualified for an E-Visa, which is not a very complicated process (that can be completed online).

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I answered on the other post where you asked this same question.

YES...the ship will arrange for the Visa needed to port stop in Vietnam.

Those that felt the need to apply for them directly pre-cruise were very unhappy they had and the added expense to do so.

The ship at some point prior to arriving into Vietnam will collect your Pass Port and return it with the Vietnam Visa before your scheduled stop there.

The issue is that our OP wants to have written acknowledgement from the cruiseline about the visa.  You can't use the excuse that you didn't obtain a visa because someone on CruiseCritic told you it wasn't necessary.  If I were unable to verify the facts directly with the cruiseline, I'd cancel the cruise.  There's no excuse for being that sloppy.  Who is going to believe some RCCL agent at a call center?  Important stuff like this needs to be in writing.  Not a difficult concept to grasp and I'm surprised that RCCL doesn't publish this information clearly.

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

The issue is that our OP wants to have written acknowledgement from the cruiseline about the visa.  You can't use the excuse that you didn't obtain a visa because someone on CruiseCritic told you it wasn't necessary.  If I were unable to verify the facts directly with the cruiseline, I'd cancel the cruise.  There's no excuse for being that sloppy.  Who is going to believe some RCCL agent at a call center?  Important stuff like this needs to be in writing.  Not a difficult concept to grasp and I'm surprised that RCCL doesn't publish this information clearly.

Unless the legal folks at RCCL are clueless (which I doubt), OP would never get a correspondence from them stating a governmental requirement (true or not) without it also having a disclaimer (within the message itself and/or within the T&Cs and/or ticket contract) clearly stating that it is the passenger who is ultimately responsible for acquiring the CORRECT information and fulfilling the CORRECT requirements for visas, testing, etc. The legal language would continue with a statement to the effect that RCCL (or any cruise line) bears no responsibility for the accuracy of any information not associated with the cruise line’s provision of the cruise experience itself. Ergo, if a governmental authority then denies you entry into the country or the cruise line is required by that authority to deny you boarding because you do not have the required documentation, it’s not the cruise line’s problem. 

My above posts are my personal experience with RCI and our itinerary that included Vietnam.

The ship did provide the necessary Visa once onboard for our port stop.

• Like 1

You are unlikely to find written statements from the cruise line for a number of reasons that all come back to protecting themselves if a foreign government makes a change to their customs and immigrations policy at any time, which some government do from time to time.

By not putting it in writing no one can come back and blame the cruise line or demand compensation when a foreign government makes a change.  

24 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

If your cruise stops anywhere in China, you will need to get a Visa on your own - the ship does not provide visas for China - this is from personal experience. 

It’s also a PRC requirement right now.

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It’s also a PRC requirement right now.

Yes and the price is hefty. It costs just a little more to get a 10 year multiple entry visa so that's what I did even though I don't think I will be going back there anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes and the price is hefty. It costs just a little more to get a 10 year multiple entry visa so that's what I did even though I don't think I will be going back there anytime soon. 

We’ve got 10 yr PRC visas. However, they were issued pre-Covid and all of those have been “suspended.” So, unless that changes, we will have to reapply for our trip next February.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We’ve got 10 yr PRC visas. However, they were issued pre-Covid and all of those have been “suspended.” So, unless that changes, we will have to reapply for our trip next February.

Will they refund us the extra $$ we paid for for the 10 year?  LOL - I'm not holding my breath!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Singapore coming up in January that visits Vietnam. Members of my group hail from Mauritius and they are ineligible to apply for E-visas, nor is there a consulate in Mauritius.  What I would like to know is, if we don't have Vietnam visas at the time of boarding in Singapore, would we be denied entry onto the ship?  We would be happy to remain onbaord while in Vietnamese ports if we had to.

Edited by kwofperth

On 5/11/2023 at 8:37 AM, daveb714 said:

For sailings visiting Vietnam

• Guests visiting Vietnam will be required to apply for and receive a Vietnam Visa.
  • To see if your country is eligible to apply for the E-via, please visit here or if your country doesn't require a visa before joining us onboard, please visit this link here.
  • If you are eligible to apply for the E-visa, please fill in the Vietnam E-Visa form no later than 2 weeks prior to sailing.
  • Please note, if your country is not listed as eligible for the E-visa, you will need to apply for your Vietnam Visa at your nearest Vietnam Embassy or consulate no later than 2 weeks prior to sailing.
  • We will not assist guests with obtaining Visa on Arrival for Vietnam.
  • For guests who apply for the E-visa/Visa, correct port name and date of entry and exit must be entered. If any of the information is incorrect, it will be considered an invalid visa and guests will not be allowed to debark. However, they are still able to sail.
  • Thanks 1

This is taken from RC's website as I too am going on 2 cruises from Singapore in February 2024.  I'll be visiting 2 Vietnam countries and it states I do need a Visa and that it is our responsibility to procure one.  I've cut out some portions of the actual but you can go to their frequently asked question regarding Visas.  

What should I consider when booking a cruise visiting international ports?

A

Given the events over the last few years, having the proper travel documents has been a considerable concern of many guests prior to enjoying a carefree vacation. Passport, visa and inoculation regulations may vary by destination and may change from time to time. For your protection, your passport expiration date needs to be at least six (6) months after the sailing termination date. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel and health documents such as passports, visas, vaccination certificates, etc., that are necessary for air travel, disembarkation at the various ports of call and re-entry into the appropriate country of origin.

Visa

Based on nationality, many countries still require an entry visa. It is the guests' responsibility to identify and to obtain all the necessary visas before commencing their cruise. 

If your sailing includes a stop in Egypt, a visa is required for many nationalities including US and Canadian citizens, but may not be the only visa required for these sailings based on your nationality.

Suggestions on where to obtain visa information:

(1) U.S. Citizens can visit the U.S. Department of State Foreign Entry Requirements.

(2) Canadian citizens can visit Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

(3) The Embassies (Consular Service Office) of each country on your sailing itinerary

(4) The visa service of your choice, such as CIBT for specific visa requirements, information, forms and fees that apply to your nationality

VisaCentral a CIBT Company
toll free telephone: 1.800.858.8579 
email: customerservice@visacentral.com

Consecutive Sailings 

Guests on consecutive sailings must ensure they have the proper travel documents for their entire cruise vacation. 

For Cambodia and Vietnam

All nationalities require visas for Vietnam with the following exceptions: Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway.

All nationalities require visas for Cambodia with the following exceptions: Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and Laos.

Please Note: The following nationalities will find it extremely difficult to secure a visa for Vietnam and Cambodia, whether through us or by themselves; Pakistan, North Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq and Nigeria. 

On 5/11/2023 at 9:18 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Wow, didn't know that those visas (pre-covid) were suspended.  I had been planning on using my non expired visa.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Wow, didn't know that those visas (pre-covid) were suspended.  I had been planning on using my non expired visa.

Check with the closest PRC embassy/consulate with a visa office (e.g., San Francisco). The website (make sure it’s the actual governmental office and not some commercial visa service). There’s a cutoff date (I can’t remember it) regarding when in the recent past (before their visa departments closed for Covid) your existing 10 year visa had to have been issued. 
Fortunately, the instructions (at least on the SF website) are good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 9:34 AM, livingonthebeach said:

If your cruise stops anywhere in China, you will need to get a Visa on your own - the ship does not provide visas for China - this is from personal experience. 

True for China, but that is not the point of the thread.  We started in Singapore in 2017, went to Vietnam first stop 3 nights in country, the cruiseline provided the visa (which was never ever requested or looked at).  If you are flying into Vietnam I am sure that you would need the Visa.