Must-Do/See or Ideas/Tours during Each Port

BazAl

Good Day,

So - I'll cruising from Vancouver -> Seward.  Plan to spend 4 days in Vancouver and then 10 days in Alaska (DIY Landtrip).

US: Me 39 (birthday on August 3rd <____<), Brother 34, Mother 66, Father 69. 

Our Interests:  Honestly we like all.. except fishing. 

I'll be on Celerity Millennium. 

Schedule:

Fri Aug 4th Boarding

Sat Aug 5th Cruising

Sun Aug 6th: Ketchikan 7AM-3PM

Mon Aug 7th Icy Straight Point 9AM-7PM

Tues Aug 8th Juneau 7AM-930PM

Wed Aug 9th Skagway 7AM – 4PM

Thu Aug 10th: Hubbard Glacier (Cruising)

Fri Aug 11th: Arrive in Seward at 5AM

I was disappointed to learn no Glacier Bay.  Anyway right now - I've been looking into tours... They all sound amazing.  But right now - I'm thinking are there any MUST-DOS - or something special that each one of these locations are known for?  For example: I read Icy Straight Point has amazing whale watching, while Juneau is  known for Mendenhall Glacier.  That being said is Mendellhall tour worth it when we'll be doing Kenai Fjords Boat Tour, Exit Glacier (Seward) or 26 glacier tour in Whittier?  Also during cruise ports - the parents don't mind splitting up from my brother and I.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do a bear tour.  But they are sooo expensive.  So I'm forgoing it since my brother and I are splitting the cost (but it's still 4 people!!).  I'm hoping one of these stops in the cruise during this time in August has bears.  I thought Icy Straight Point port might work - in Haines.  I contacted the company and they told me it's a wildlife tour - bears are a 50% sighting only during that time.  Any advice is appreciated it.  We're doing 1 flyseeing tour and that's in Talkeetna - but if you think there's one that's very much worth it let me know please. 

Anyway my plan in Alaska Post-Cruise is still in SUPER draft mode.   Seward -> Whittier -> Talkeetna -> Denali -> Anchorage

Currently for Seward - We'll do the 6 mile white water rafting (brother and I), resurrection raft (relaxing)/SeaLife Center/Kenai 7.5 Hour Tour, Exit Glacier

Whittier - 26 Glacier Tour

Talkeetna - Flight Seeing Tour of Denali

Denali - No plans yet - aware of landslide closure

Anchorage - No plans yet

^any advice on land trip is also appreciated - though I understand the focus is cruise ports.

Thanks!!!

In Hoonah/Icy Strait Point, I'd do a whale watching trip with Glacier Winds.

For the after cruise part, are you renting a car? Do you have it reserved yet?

At Denali National Park, use the shuttle bus to travel the portion of the road that is open: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Coming back from Denali, do you have time for a Matanuska Glacier hike?

• Like 2

In Ketchikan do some research into doing the Bering Sea Fisherman Tour. Price directly on their website vs with your cruiseline. One of our all time favorite excursions.

• Like 1

I am amazed that people book a cruise and the itinerary is available and then they are surprised that it doesn't go somewhere. Celebrity doesn't go to Glacier Bay. None of their cruises do.

In Juneau - if you are interested in glaciers, I would strongly recommend AdventureBound Alaska to Tracy Arm (small boat ride - 10 hours): https://www.adventureboundalaska.com. It is my favorite excursion and I make sure I have enough time in port to do the excursion before I book the cruise.

This is way better than Mendenhall glacier. Mendenhall is underwhelming IMO (unless you land on it and by August it maybe too late to do so). 

I would skip Denali this year. Spend more time in Seward and around that area.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

Kenai Fjords tour is AMAZING!  It was way better than Mendenhall, as Mendenhall is just on land...its just....wilderness? A nice hike...

After Kenai Fjords, Hubbard was boring.....

Make sure your "must dos" are what YOUR "must dos" are, and not ONLY from what strangers on the internet say...

For bears, I would think it would be more cost effective (if it really is THAT expensive) to do a tour that does "wildlife/bears AND _____" there is one in ISP (at was least for our ship) combined with whale watching as that is a great port for it....

Skagway is very historical, many folks take the train, a very scenic trip....easily booked with the train one way and something else the other way....yay combination tours!  

• Like 1

Also, I would lump Exit Glacier and Mendenhall together in the "excitement" category.....not terribly exciting if you have done Kenai Fjords...

I have done/am doing the Ididaride 6 hour tour in Seward, which includes a sled dog tour/ride/experience, Seward area tour, visit to Exit Glacier, and lunch.....its a nice overview of the area...

12 hours ago, BazAl said:

I was disappointed to learn no Glacier Bay. 

Glacier Bay certainly is special but don't let it bother you too much.  Hubbard Glacier is amazing and much more spectacular than any of the glaciers in GB.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Glacier Bay certainly is special but don't let it bother you too much.  Hubbard Glacier is amazing and much more spectacular than any of the glaciers in GB.  

I haven't been to GB but we saw Hubbard Glacier in 2015 on a Celebrity cruise and it was a magnificently clear day. Awesome experience! Hoping for similar when we cruise RCCL in July 2024.

48 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

Kenai Fjords tour is AMAZING!  It was way better than Mendenhall, as Mendenhall is just on land...its just....wilderness? A nice hike...

After Kenai Fjords, Hubbard was boring.....

Are you referring to the Major Marine tour in Kenai Fjords? We did the 7 or 8 hour tour in 2015 and it was great. Not sure about July 2024 as we'll have 5 grandkids with us ages 5-11...wondering if after being on the ship for a week it's too much to get off and go right on to a boar tour. 

1 hour ago, surgie said:

Are you referring to the Major Marine tour in Kenai Fjords? We did the 7 or 8 hour tour in 2015 and it was great. Not sure about July 2024 as we'll have 5 grandkids with us ages 5-11...wondering if after being on the ship for a week it's too much to get off and go right on to a boar tour. 

Major Marine or even Kenai Fjords Tour company, both do generally the same tour for the 6 hours (that's a good one if you don't want too long as it goes for the general and most popular places).  If you are saying the longer ones, that might just be a long time to go on a boat for some.  

It is a completely different setting for a big ship into a tiny boat, and it will be definitely a different experience....and the tiny boat can get WAY closer to the glacier! 

We had a great whale watching experience in Juneau using Gastineau Guiding.  In the 2nd photo a curios calf came up to the boat next to us while the mother hung back watching.IMG_1425_cr2.thumb.jpg.336ae83da2ba68ffbccb17f307f4b90c.jpgIMG_1569_cr2.thumb.jpg.5c82b42da7ba73017617fdc3f947341a.jpg

• Like 4

One thing I've realized is that when an excursion title includes "watch" (e.g. whale watching), it means that seeing the animal is close to 100%. When the title has "search" (e.g. bear search), the search may or may not succeed, like the 50% that the bear excursion company gave you. The upside is that bears are widely distributed in Alaska and you have a chance of seeing is possible almost anywhere. We saw 3 bear cubs next to Steep Creek Trail very close to the drop-off for Mendenhall Glacier. Mama had left them there while she went farther off foraging. Ranger's were on hand making everyone aware of safety.

The Mendenhall Glacier is fairly far from the trails at Mendenhall and not as spectacular IMO to Hubbard or Kenai Fjords because of the distance, but the trails there are very nice easy hikes and there is the chance of seeing wildlife. I almost saw a porcupine on the Trail of Time (June) - the people ahead of me saw one but it had moved on by the time I got there. Later in the day, I did get to see one from a trail at the top of the Mt. Roberts tram. 

Everyone thank you for your recommendations -I will look into all.  I was thinking a lot of boat tours may be a lot.  but on second thought it'll probably be good for my father who's not entirely in the best of shape

@Kathscof I don't quite follow with Chichagof Island... are you recommending flight from a certain port or are there tours that head there from one of the ports? 

Thanks!

Skagway

• one of the many White Pass train combo's.  I've done Best of, Bennett, and Yukon.  Yukon has been my fav.

Vancouver... can't forget your embarkation port.  Depends on how many pre-cruise days you have.

• Capilano Suspension Bridge
  • Grouse Mountain
  • Whistler for Cloudraker and Peak 2 Peak
  • Victoria w/ Butchart Gardens
  • Dim Sum brunch
  • King Crab dinner Vancouver Style if there's a group of 6 to 8 of you.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BazAl said:

I don't quite follow with Chichagof Island... are you recommending flight from a certain port or are there tours that head there from one of the ports? 

Chichogof Island is the island ISP os on, so that's where you are when at ISP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Ashland, got a few questions that I have for you. Please email me at, gottagoacruzn@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Virginia

Ask away Virginia...I'll assume it's nothing that I can't answer publicly.

Ok, here goes Ashland, am plannin on goin on the Aluetion Ballard tour, in Sept, an the tour starts at 9:15 through the company, an thought I would hit some of the places in town, with the map from the visitor's center, plus keepin an eye on the time, an whatever places that I didn't get to see, I could go after the tour is over at 1 p.m., the ship leaves at 5. Seein whatever there is to see when leavin the Cape fox lodge. Don't think would be interested in seein the hatchery, city park, the totem heritage center, st elizabeth's church, or the sun raven totem pole. Just gonna hit the spots around creek st. Would that be possible to do? Oh, mustn't forget, might stop for lunch at burger queen, if there's time.😶😶If can't do lunch, oh that would be terrible, goin away hungry, as if one would be hungry, after all that food one eats on the ship!!🙄 that leaves another reason to book another cruise to alaska.

The ballard tour, have noticed that it costs less than if you book it through the ship. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Ok, here goes Ashland, am plannin on goin on the Aluetion Ballard tour, in Sept, an the tour starts at 9:15 through the company, an thought I would hit some of the places in town, with the map from the visitor's center, plus keepin an eye on the time, an whatever places that I didn't get to see, I could go after the tour is over at 1 p.m., the ship leaves at 5.

The Deadliest Catch tour on the Aleutian Ballad is amazing.  We were just on it last week.  They are now serving Alaskan King Crab (Golden) on board.  $42 for the small (I think it was 1/4 lb) and the larger 1/2 lb was about $72.  The 1/4 size was just fine for two of us.  A little awkward eating it in the stadium seats, but oh, so good.

Not sure if your plan was to try to do some sightseeing before the crab boat tour, but don't try to too much.  You might find that you may enjoy just walking off your ship and walking over to the tour.  Do give yourself enough time to arrive early so you can chose where you might enjoy sitting - main level (under cover), or top deck.  They do offer large / x large coats if needed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The Deadliest Catch tour on the Aleutian Ballad is amazing.  We were just on it last week.  They are now serving Alaskan King Crab (Golden) on board.  $42 for the small (I think it was 1/4 lb) and the larger 1/2 lb was about $72.  The 1/4 size was just fine for two of us.  A little awkward eating it in the stadium seats, but oh, so good.

Not sure if your plan was to try to do some sightseeing before the crab boat tour, but don't try to too much.  You might find that you may enjoy just walking off your ship and walking over to the tour.  Do give yourself enough time to arrive early so you can chose where you might enjoy sitting - main level (under cover), or top deck.  They do offer large / x large coats if needed.

Yup ferry watcher, that what the plans are right now, do some runnin around before & then after. Did you take pictures of the eagles? Think if there's king crab on board, that might just ruin lunch, or better yet, just might skip breakfast that mornin, an eat there. thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 2:38 PM, gottagoacruzn said:

Ok, here goes Ashland, am plannin on goin on the Aluetion Ballard tour, in Sept, an the tour starts at 9:15 through the company, an thought I would hit some of the places in town, with the map from the visitor's center, plus keepin an eye on the time, an whatever places that I didn't get to see, I could go after the tour is over at 1 p.m., the ship leaves at 5. Seein whatever there is to see when leavin the Cape fox lodge. Don't think would be interested in seein the hatchery, city park, the totem heritage center, st elizabeth's church, or the sun raven totem pole. Just gonna hit the spots around creek st. Would that be possible to do? Oh, mustn't forget, might stop for lunch at burger queen, if there's time.😶😶If can't do lunch, oh that would be terrible, goin away hungry, as if one would be hungry, after all that food one eats on the ship!!🙄 that leaves another reason to book another cruise to alaska.

The ballard tour, have noticed that it costs less than if you book it through the ship. Any suggestions?

We always get to the tour early and line up for the best seats (we like middle 2nd row) and the line up starts early for the 9:15 tour. You'll have plenty of time to see the town when you return. Check that BQ will be open the day you're in port.

We have also usually booked directly but this past September it was cheaper via cruiseline booking. It doesn't matter who you book with. Enjoy !!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi, thanks ashland!!! All you guys are a big help.

Hi, think will wait to reserve any tours, will pay for the cruise in June, then...) They day that the crown is in port, there's also another ship in.

3 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi, think will wait to reserve any tours, will pay for the cruise in June, then...) They day that the crown is in port, there's also another ship in.

Good idea...Every time we're there always other ships at the same time.

Do what ever works best for you and enjoy !!!