Sold out shows on Allure, other question

I couldn't find a recent topic about this, so I apologize if there has been and I just missed it.

First, I need to vent a little. I got the email about booking onboard entertainment about 7 weeks prior to sailing. I followed the link but it wasn't allowing reservations. I did some digging and found on RCI's site that you can only do that starting 30 days out, so I figured the email was sent out prematurely or they just wanted to remind us that the 30-day window was coming up in a few weeks.  Out of curiosity I checked back a week or so later only to find all shows sold out. Grrrr. So my first question is, how soon do we need to get in line at the showings in hope of getting seated when unused reservations are opened up?

My next issue is, when we booked with a representative they asked if we wanted MTD. I said yes, and reserved for 6pm. But after the issue with sold out shows I wanted to double-check our MTD. It turns out we didn't have a reserved time. I then checked the invoice and saw they put us on the MTD waitlist. Now 8:30 is the earliest we could get so I went ahead and reserved it, which poses a problem as one person in our group is diabetic and needs to eat around 6pm. So my questions are:

- If we just get in line before 6pm as though we have no reservation, can we still get seated as though we don't have reservations? Or do I need to cancel those reservations?

- Once on-board, is there a good chance we could get those reservations moved up?

- Are we just out of luck for MTD and will have to use one of the other dining options?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate how helpful everyone on CC is. It has helped us have better cruise experiences in the past. 

17 minutes ago, RoyalShock said:

how soon do we need to get in line at the showings in hope of getting seated when unused reservations are opened up?

There's no guarantee or rule of thumb, but from experience on full/nearly full Oasis class ships, for shows in big venues, especially the main theater, not very early at all. 15-20 minutes maybe? Honestly, you can likely walk right in 5-10 mins before showtime in many cases. If you're worried and don't mind waiting (maybe with a drink in hand), you can go sooner but it's really not hard to get into shows without reservations. Plenty of people will always change their minds for one reason or another and not show up.

One exception... if you want to go to adult comedy, that venue is very small, so if it's important, you may want to get in line there pretty early. That's the one venue where it's possible that not many people from the standby line get in.

Finally, a tip... they hold back some % of show reservations for booking once onboard, so I'd try the app once connected to the ship wi-fi or head for wherever they have a makeshift box office set up (it varies by ship).

Hope that helps and lessens your annoyance a bit. 🙂

Someone else will have to answer your MTD question; I've never used it, sorry.

• Like 4

For the shows, i'm sure if you get in line 15-20 minutes before show time you'll almost always be able to get seats. We were on Allure last month and did get show reservations, but always saw empty seats at each show...

We rarely use the MDR anymore, so i'm not sure about this, but why not just book anytime dining then once on the ship i think you can reserve your preferred time?

• Like 3

There is no set rule shows open for booking 30 days before. I see you said you did some digging and discovered this. My last 2 oasis class opened shows the 1st of the prior month. Had I waited until 30 days out they were sold out.

I'd throw that rule out for the future or you will be disappointed again. No such rule.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

There is no set rule shows open for booking 30 days before. I see you said you did some digging and discovered this. My last 2 oasis class opened shows the 1st of the prior month. Had I waited until 30 days out they were sold out.

I'd throw that rule out for the future or you will be disappointed again. No such rule.

My current personal conclusion is that there is no set time fleet wide (or if there is, it's in the process of changing). I read many accounts of the "1st of the prior month" like you experienced but also many other experiences. May 1st came and went with no reservations available for my June 4th Wonder sailing and for this cruise they did happen to open exactly 30 days out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoyalShock said:

- If we just get in line before 6pm as though we have no reservation, can we still get seated as though we don't have reservations? Or do I need to cancel those reservations?

- Once on-board, is there a good chance we could get those reservations moved up?

- Are we just out of luck for MTD and will have to use one of the other dining options?

Sorta. The earliest MTD seating is usually at 6:30 and you'll probably have lots of company in the line without reservations, especially the first night.

Maybe.

No, though I'd advise you to try to switch to early traditional.

• Like 1

Just now, nimbex1970 said:

we were 45 days out when the shows were available for the app booking on WOS, this really seems hit or miss, not a standard for other ships, but consistent with WOS. 

See my post above. It was 30 days for my Wonder 6/4/23.

On Allure in January this came up at a Q&A with the Cruise Director about all the shows being reserved before board. Cory said that they hold 20% of all seats available back even though it shows there are none available. Once you board the ship the other 20% become available for anyone to make reservations. If you miss out on that he advised to just show up 15 minutes prior to the show and at 10 til they open the venue for all remaining seats. People get busy having fun elsewhere, change their minds and forget to cancel, have conflicting dinner reservations, etc. There are also multiple showings of each performance so if you don't get in on one day try another. It will all work out. Don't stress.

• Like 3

On boarding day there is usually someone in one of the main dining rooms(deck 3 or 4) between 1pm and 3pm to assist  guests who need to make dining room changes. There are 2 fixed dining times usually 5:15 and 8:15 or thereabouts. You will be seated at the same table with the same waitstaff each night.

MTD(my time dining) is for people who want to select other times or may wish to change dining time daily based on port or show times. MTD usually begins at 6:30, with 2 lines, one for guests with a reservation, and one for walk up diners. You may find  a wait sometimes and not so much others.

Windjammer usually opens around six and doesn't require reservations. There can be a brief wait when they open, but not usually very long. Normally the entree items are the same as the offers in the MDR. 

Barb

Edited by barb in ga
spacing
  • Like 1

We were just on the Allure last week.  After we got on the ship, I went to the MDR and got standing reservations for 6:45 each night.  We were mostly at the same table and wait staff each night.  There usually was a bit of a line before getting seated each night, but no  more than 5 minute wait.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, OCSC Mike said:

See my post above. It was 30 days for my Wonder 6/4/23.

just pointing out that the advice mentioned was around the 1st (not on) of the month preceding your cruise.  For a cruise on June 4th, there's not much difference, but based on reports, the shows for the end of June also opened up the same day as yours...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roseoftx said:

just pointing out that the advice mentioned was around the 1st (not on) of the month preceding your cruise.  For a cruise on June 4th, there's not much difference, but based on reports, the shows for the end of June also opened up the same day as yours...

I read multiple posts stating exactly the 1st, not around the 1st, both here and on another popular forum.

I don’t really care, but why are you trying to tell me what I read? I know what I read. You may have read something else; I wouldn’t know.

Edited by OCSC Mike

59 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I read multiple posts stating exactly the 1st, not around the 1st, both here and on another popular forum.

I don’t really care, but why are you trying to tell me what I read? I know what I read. You may have read something else; I wouldn’t know.

I didn't to offend you or specifically what you read, I was just pointing out that for a cruse on the 4th, there isn't much different between 30 days and the start of the month previous where there is quite a difference when the cruise is the end of the month.  So for people watching for it to open, perhaps the OP, where it could be 60 days for some versus 30 days for others (at least reported so far),  But since they only have been doing reservations for 6 months, let's hope they will get into a more reliable pattern like they do for check in. 

Edited by roseoftx

16 hours ago, SDuckers said:

We were just on the Allure last week.  After we got on the ship, I went to the MDR and got standing reservations for 6:45 each night.  We were mostly at the same table and wait staff each night.  There usually was a bit of a line before getting seated each night, but no  more than 5 minute wait.

Did you already have reservations for later times?  I'm curious, since I did go ahead and reserve for 8:30, if they would also change the reservation or if I should cancel the ones I made for 8:30, if that's even allowed on the website/app.

Please remember that when making reservations for entertainment in advance of a sailing RCI only opens a set number of seats for advance reservations.  Once on board you can reserve shows (some even the day of, but some seats later in the cruise may still be held back) or simply show up early and wait. Plus all shows generally have multiple times over the cruise.  You're on vacation, no need to get all worked up in a planning mode.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoyalShock said:

Did you already have reservations for later times?  I'm curious, since I did go ahead and reserve for 8:30, if they would also change the reservation or if I should cancel the ones I made for 8:30, if that's even allowed on the website/app.

My TA had signed us up for "my time dining" so we didn't have previous reservations.

Not sure why people are saying change in comedian.   The same two people still show as onboard for show.   They did add a show by the comedians in the main theater because the smaller club was sold out, but they usually do this.   I prefer the smaller venue and always reserve it.

Guest 4-2-N-8

Does anyone know if Star Class requires reservations well in advance or are seats always set aside in all shows onboard?

TY

Edited by 4-2-N-8

22 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Does anyone know if Star Class requires reservations well in advance or are seats always set aside in all shows onboard?

TY

You will always have seats when you are SC.  No worries.  In fact, you can choose whichever particular seats you want !  No prior reservations required for shows when you are SC.

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, RFerrington said:

You will always have seats when you are SC.  No worries.  In fact, you can choose whichever particular seats you want !  No prior reservations required for shows when you are SC.

TY. Appreciate the intel.