What CAN the wifi on the QM2 accomplish?

steve4031

I know that anything like going on the internet or sending emails and photo attachments is probably a no-go.  Is the WIFi reliable enough to send simple texts message to people on land and receive from people on land? Is it reliable enough to for two people on different parts of the QM2 to send texts to each other?  

Thank you.  

Yes in answer to you question that's about all on normal , can pick up emails and slow browsing . The premium offering is better than that, with luck a WhatsApp call.

It depends also on time of day . I had to book something that became available at midnight UTC,  1 am on ship, worked like dream must have been only person on it

I posted all the pics and comment in posts #11 through to #157 using the WiFi and received all the replies, other than a few in New York when on 4G. I also contributed to various other threads.

I also posted much the same content on Facebook and a WhatsApp group and received responses easily. Only thing was I used a compressor app rather than uploading 2.60MB photos.

I kept up with various bank accounts. Wise kept me informed as to what Cunard were charging to my card. Emails were fine. I was able to retrieve photos from my cloud archive whenever I wanted to illustrate a past experience.

I think you would need two subscriptions to send messages around the ship.

Not something we needed as we're almost always glued together.

Other than connection not being good in cabin, our cabin was near Pavilion Pool where it was fine.

Obviously we'll look forward to Starlink, but what we had was adequate for our needs.

I should also have said that all those 2.60MB photos were backed up to cloud so I didn't need to use the SD cards I'd brought for backup.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

I'll be on the QM2 NYC-SOU crossing this Friday. I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium is worth it? 

My intended usage is for email, WhatsApp texting,  and light web browsing.

Back in 2020, david,Mississauga wrote:

I was surprised that the speed of the internet was very good on the QM2, a little less so on the QE.  I "paid" for the premium plan out of our CWC internet credit. On the seven-night QM2 voyage a package for the rest of the voyage was offered on day two: $90 standard and $120 premium.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2886634-on-board-internet/#comment-64141845

Are they still offering the 'day two' special?

Edited by Mercruiser

3 minutes ago, D&N said:

I posted all the pics and comment in posts #11 through to #157 using the WiFi and received all the replies, other than a few in New York when on 4G. I also contributed to various other threads.

I also posted much the same content on Facebook and a WhatsApp group and received responses easily. Only thing was I used a compressor app rather than uploading 2.60MB photos.

I kept up with various bank accounts. Wise kept me informed as to what Cunard were charging to my card. Emails were fine. I was able to retrieve photos from my cloud archive whenever I wanted to illustrate a past experience.

I think you would need two subscriptions to send messages around the ship.

Not something we needed as we're almost always glued together.

Other than connection not being good in cabin, our cabin was near Pavilion Pool where it was fine.

Obviously we'll look forward to Starlink, but what we had was adequate for our needs.

Thanks for the helpful post. Was this the Essential or Premium plan?

The essential plan is only really good for small emails and WhatsApp messages with no or minimal photos. Web browsing is just about ok. 

If you want to send multiple photos or have data calls you need the premium plan in my experience. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the trip report.  Thank you for the information on the Internet.  My main concern is that my family can get a hold of me via text in an emergency.  That seems doable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

I enjoyed the trip report.  Thank you for the information on the Internet.  My main concern is that my family can get a hold of me via text in an emergency.  That seems doable.  

In that case the basic package should be ok. I think you might be able to upgrade if it’s not working for you. If it is totally awful, complain and get it all or some it refunded. 

Just a reminder to make sure your phone is on flight safe mode. Also, by ‘text’ I think you probably mean WhatsApp message? Just trying to make sure you don’t get charged a fortune for roaming! 

You won't be able to receive /send texts unless your provider allows text/calls over wifi. An easier solution would be to use the whtasaapp  app which  only need wifi . 

We spent a total of 54 days on the QE last year and the speed of the internet varied from slow to non-existent. Often we couldn't' connect for days  - some times I could connect after middnight - sometimes not 

Do NOT expect to be able to use it - and be pleased if you can. We used the phones in the bar to leave messages on the cabin phone 

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Don't you need network access for a text ? Do you use WhatsApp or Messenger  ? 

Unfortunately, this  one of those "It Depends" topics. As lissie mentioned, you can get texts over wifi if you phone and carrier support it AND you have it enabled on your phone. Here are the instructions for Apple and Android:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032
https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/2811843?hl=en

Here is a simple way to see if it works on your phone:

• Turn on Airplane mode (this shuts off WiFi, Bluetooth, and phone)
  • Manually turn on just WiFi (everything else should still be off)
  • Have a friend send you a text. Do you receive the text? If Yes, texting over WiFi works on your phone.

Being able to receive texts over Wifi can be important if you are using it for TFA (Two-Factor Authentication) from your bank, CC company, ecommerce site, etc.  I don't know of a way to do TFA using WhatsApp.

Edited by Mercruiser

1 hour ago, oatbagg1 said:

my husband is a teacher, he will need to be grading papers in Dec. aboard the QM2 transAtlantic.

purchase day by day or a weekly platinum?

I am a teacher too.  If possible, I would try to have things organized to get things graded before he gets on the ship.  I am a teacher too, and if I mess up the grading, or don't submit them, the administration is not happy.  Your school system may have security software that would block remote access too.  I hope things work out for him and you.  

I’m sure your husband is more disciplined than I was as I traveled during my teaching years with a load of student papers that never saw the light. However, they felt like an unfulfilled obligation encroaching on my vacation even though I never followed through with grading plans. So I’m totally in agreement with getting it done before or after your TA. I’d hate to spend any part of one of our rare TA’s working!

Here is a Speedtest on QM2 from this morning. I just signed up for Premium plan this morning.

I am pleased with this result. Given all the negative comments about QM2 internet on CC, I was expecting much worse. This is a very usable speed. 

Screenshot_20230527_064529_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.6a045d15530add376eee56660a7d2ecf.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mercruiser said:

Here is a Speedtest on QM2 from this morning. I just signed up for Premium plan this morning.

I am pleased with this result. Given all the negative comments about QM2 internet on CC, I was expecting much worse. This is a very usable speed. 

Screenshot_20230527_064529_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.6a045d15530add376eee56660a7d2ecf.jpg

Where on the ship did you run that test? Were you in sight of a router?

Would be interesting to know if you maintain anything like that mid Atlantic.

And can you advise what device you are using?

I did try Ookla last year but the test didn't run. I was happy with the access though.

Edited by D&N

1 hour ago, D&N said:

Where on the ship did you run that test? Were you in sight of a router?

Would be interesting to know if you maintain anything like that mid Atlantic.

And can you advise what device you are using?

I did try Ookla last year but the test didn't run. I was happy with the access though.

I was laying in bed in our inside cabin, deck 5. There is a wifi router on the hallway ceiling, one cabin adjacent. 

I'm using a Pixel 6a phone and using it's Hotspot to share my one login with three other devices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the same test again, but at 10 am, ship time. As expected, it slows down as more people wake up and get on the Internet - same as at any  hotel on land.

It's still quite usable for CC messaging 😁

Screenshot_20230527-100530.png.2e03e2ddce4782297157b3e323888b77.png

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 2

My experience was with a Moto G 5G+. Motorola are known for their Android versions with lack of bloatware, which I'm happy with. But maybe the OS and device both being from Google helps the test run better.

Of course you may come across periods when the satellite connection drops off as the trip progresses.

I wonder if there's a difference in the walls between the corridor and inside/outside cabins. I usually had to stand close to cabin door to connect to router 3 cabins along. It was easier to sit at Pavilion Bar, which was just a few cabins away.