Love it or leave it?

capsplace

On the other hand, @molemaui’s comments about Viking Ocean food have me a bit worried about our upcoming first cruise with them in October. Even the Viking cheerleaders don’t seem to rate it all that well. And I do NOT mean to get this off topic about Viking!!

Edited by Mackdogmolly

3 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

On the other hand, @molemaui’s comments about Viking Ocean food have me a bit worried about our upcoming first cruise with them in October. Even the Viking cheerleaders don’t seem to rate it all that well. And I do NOT mean to get this off topic about Viking!!

My opinion only! Food is also subjective especially if you consider yourself a foodie. Viking Ocean ships are spactacular and the food is underwhelming. Actually the Italian restaurant and the pool bar were pretty good, Excellent seared ahi sandwiches! I would sail Viking Ocean for the itinerary and the great ships realizing food was just going to be OK or a little better. My point about Azamara is the food was actually bad in most cases. Many comment about the good AZ food who sailed prior to the breakaway from RCL. We sailed post RCL breakaway.  

10 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

My experience varies. I was on 3 Celebrity cruises earlier in the year (but NOT in the Rereat).  And on the Pursuit right now.  The lovely food on Pursuit is incomparable to the mass market fare on Celebrity. Pursuit is superior in every single way based on my experiences over the last few months. 

I would not sail the large ships such as Celebrity if not in Retreat. I've heard the food outside Luminea is not that great. I'm really curious if food on AZ declined after the RCL breakaway. I heard so many great things about AZ food and was disappointed. Every other AZ comment about ship, ship size, service and itineraries are spot on in my opinion. Guess we'll beg to differ on the food.

39 minutes ago, molemaui said:

I would not sail the large ships such as Celebrity if not in Retreat. I've heard the food outside Luminea is not that great. I'm really curious if food on AZ declined after the RCL breakaway. I heard so many great things about AZ food and was disappointed. Every other AZ comment about ship, ship size, service and itineraries are spot on in my opinion. Guess we'll beg to differ on the food.

Our last 2 cruises with Azamara were after the break away from RCCL. We found no difference in the food apart from the odd supply issues (E.g escargots disappeared after a few days, HD said this was a supply issue)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, molemaui said:

How many people here have to tell you the food on Azamara has been fine after the RCI breakaway?  If you were disappointed, just go back to Celebrity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We didn’t like our cruise last April on Viking and I did a review here comparing it with Azamara.  We had really bad service in the MDR 2 times and then stopped going there.  The food was not better than Azamara, with exception of croissants, which I don’t need to eat a lot of.  ice cream was watery.  I really missed Azamara service.  Cabin was nice but that does not make a cruise.  Missed two ports, etc.  

I don’t recommend Viking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, if it's love it or leave it, then it's most definitely Love It!  We sailed the Azamara Journey R/T Cape Town earlier this year, our first w/ Azamara.  DW and I very much enjoyed not just the amazing scenery and experiences of South Africa and Mozambique but also the ship, crew, and culture of Azamara.  It certainly won't be our last cruise w/  them!  I encourage you to NOT cancel.  The trip exceeded our expectations; I hope you'll enjoy as much or more than we did.  I posted a review of the sailing on CC earlier.  Here's the link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=696984  Happy sailing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:17 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

I didn't have a problem with the food on Viking, I enjoyed the 2 speciality restaurants and ate there most evenings and really enjoyed the breakfasts. Food is so subjective, just off a Disney cruise with grandson and the food for me was mediocre, others thought it ok to good. First time I've lost weight on a cruise, I doubt I'll do that in 2 weeks on board Quest 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, G2G said:

I didn't have a problem with the food on Viking, I enjoyed the 2 speciality restaurants and ate there most evenings and really enjoyed the breakfasts. Food is so subjective, just off a Disney cruise with grandson and the food for me was mediocre, others thought it ok to good. First time I've lost weight on a cruise, I doubt I'll do that in 2 weeks on board Quest 😆

I certainly have never lost weight onboard Quest! 😂

• Like 3

I think the food really depends on the ship, the chef and the location.  On our last cruise on the Onward, I thought the food was mediocre, even in the specialty restaurants.  The food on our previous cruise, on the Quest, was much better.  On a funny note, we ran out of bananas in South America, but had plenty of pomegranates.  When we were in the Middle East, plenty of bananas and not a pomegranate to be seen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/3/2023 at 11:09 PM, mdeegooden said:

Well, if it's love it or leave it, then it's most definitely Love It!  We sailed the Azamara Journey R/T Cape Town earlier this year, our first w/ Azamara.  DW and I very much enjoyed not just the amazing scenery and experiences of South Africa and Mozambique but also the ship, crew, and culture of Azamara.  It certainly won't be our last cruise w/  them!  I encourage you to NOT cancel.  The trip exceeded our expectations; I hope you'll enjoy as much or more than we did.  I posted a review of the sailing on CC earlier.  Here's the link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=696984  Happy sailing!

Thank you!  We’re going for sure!

On 5/22/2023 at 6:14 PM, Toronto Guy said:

I personally think Azamara is inferior to Celebrity in just about every measure, however I like the itineraries that Azamara offers so I continue to sail with them as well.

^^^^^^^ this, but at this point nothing that interests us enough to book.