Costa Maya and Belize

beshears

Costa Maya was cancelled on our recent cruise due to high winds, so I can't really comment on that. I will say that we had a great excursion in Belize. We did the Altun Ha ruins and river cruise excursion. The ruins were great, and so was the river cruise. Gorgeous ruins, with a couple of them still being climbable. The river cruise was really nice. Saw some crocs, birds, and even manatees. The included lunch was terrible. I would recommend this excursion, but be prepared to not have a decent meal.

• Like 2

The Mayan ruins sites in Belize are beyond compare. There are a couple of options and the full day trip to Lamanai is like nothing else I’ve done with the boat ride up the river. To me, Costa Maya is a beach party day. I’ll take the history and culture over the Coronas and Pina Coladas every day. 

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

The Mayan ruins sites in Belize are beyond compare. There are a couple of options and the full day trip to Lamanai is like nothing else I’ve done with the boat ride up the river. To me, Costa Maya is a beach party day. I’ll take the history and culture over the Coronas and Pina Coladas every day. 

I concur. Belize for excursions. Costa Maya for beach day.

Costa Maya has lots of beach bars and usually high waves and seaweed.  Maya Chan is better option if you like beach bars since it is outside of town.  Ruins are great but minimum of 1 1/2 hours from the port on a dead straight road.  Take a private tour by van.

In Belize, Altun Ha is very close to the port (20 minute tender ride).  Ruins are spectacular, especially if you take a tour that gets there before the ship tours.

• Like 1

Visited Belize on two cruises in early March and again early April.  March went to Lamanai, loved it!  April did cave tubing.  Also loved it but totally different experiences.  If I had to do one over again, it would be the Lamanai excursion.  We had Costa Maya on both cruises and missed the port both times due to heavy seas and strong winds.  But I have been to Costa Maya several times before and while I find things to do there, it is not my favorite port.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LeeW said:

In Belize, Altun Ha is very close to the port (20 minute tender ride).  Ruins are spectacular, especially if you take a tour that gets there before the ship tours.

Altun Ha is closer and awesome. Lamanai is also awesome and the trip out there is like a second excursion thrown in. Cool boat ride. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sckal said:

tootsiecurly just curious who you dove with in Costa Maya. I'm going next spring and considering Gypsea as they have good reviews. 

I've used Gypsea for snorkeling, not diving.  Very satisfied. 

To the original question, go to Lamanai with the ship's excursion.  It's amazing.  Take water and Deep Woods Off wipes, not spray.