Just Off the Enchanted Princess

sminkoff

3 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Interesting observation on the dress code. I have only done US based cruises, but I have always read the European cruises leaned towards a more formal dress. Good to know, as we are looking to book a Northern Europe cruise and are considering cruise lines.   

Love Enchanted, btw, have sailed on her twice. 

Princess has the same enforcement on European cruises as they do elsewhere.  It's just that more people chose to dress up on those trips. 

On 5/28/2023 at 12:04 PM, gah_cruise said:

the "dress code" or the discussion on dress code?

Spending 2 nights in Barcelona before boarding ship any suggestions hotels?????

I was on this same cruise.  I ate in the Amalfi dining room, usually around 6:30 - 7:00 and most seemed to dress. On formal nights saw many in formal wear. So it may depend on where and when you ate. 

On 5/29/2023 at 6:37 PM, Mimi06 said:

I stayed at Playa Catalunya.  Very close to La Rambla. I would stay here again. Even had a nice pool deck and a bar with a decent food menu. Breakfast was a nice selection too. 

On 5/29/2023 at 6:37 PM, Mimi06 said:

See this thread: 

I have a reservation at the Radisson Blu near La Sagrada in September

On 5/29/2023 at 10:12 AM, Jeter02 said:

Here you go! Enjoy!

FB_IMG_1685121399441.jpg

I am so bummed there are only burgers and no traditional Irish "toasties" available. But I am excited to try it all!

On 5/28/2023 at 2:56 PM, sminkoff said:

We just got off the Enchanted Princess after a two week cruise beginning in Rome and ending in Barcelona.  The cruise was unusual as people got on and off every Saturday, but around one-half of the people stayed on for another week or two.  This resulted in some of the entertainment being repeated (including cruise director jokes verbatem).  Overall we were very pleased with the cruise.  Ship was in great condition, staff treated us really well, and food in the dining room was very good.  After this cruise I don't think there need be any more discussion of the dining room dress policy; nothing was enforced even on formal nights.  Shorts, jeans, flip flops and t-shirts were very common.  This doesn't bother us, but realistically one would think Princess would either change or enforce the rules.

Hello! Husband and I have been debating whether to take this cruise in September - have done many cruises but would be first time Princess and first time Med.  Ours would start in Athens and two weeks later end in Rome.  Did you love the ports? Were there any where you were able to just walk off the ship and walk around to sightsee, get food etc instead of doing an excursion? Thank you for any insight!!

1 hour ago, Booboochase said:

Hello! Husband and I have been debating whether to take this cruise in September - have done many cruises but would be first time Princess and first time Med.  Ours would start in Athens and two weeks later end in Rome.  Did you love the ports? Were there any where you were able to just walk off the ship and walk around to sightsee, get food etc instead of doing an excursion? Thank you for any insight!!

I just looked at itinerary and it aligns well with part of what we did last October.

I would strongly state you are selling yourself short to simply expect to walk off ship and see things worthwhile, or be able to do the best things available. 

I would strongly suggest you find your Roll Call for these voyages and see what others are doing and perhaps join in with something.

Here is my port-by-port take on it:

ATHENS -  You should arrive early anyway, but could do the Acropolis area, but also walk the neighborhoods like Plaka .  Athens is a ways from the port, so I would say this is important and I would likely plan two days there.

SANTORINI - A beautiful island that requires a tender and then a cable car ride to get to the top of the cliff and Fira town.  But you really ought to see the island and AT LEAST get to Oia.  We had a small group local guide and it was great.  We saw a couple of beaches and had a nice lunch, etc.  Wish I had more time for Oia.  If you just want to go there on own, then get a taxi there and back.

KOTOR - This is another tender/shuttle port and the town is in a gorgeous setting.  You really want to see the sail-out at end of day.  We had two stops there and one we had a small group guide to Perast and that was enjoyable.  That said, once the tender drops you off at Kotor town, you can take in that town nicely without heading off elsewhere.  You would really need a second port stop to make something of the extra trip.

MESSINA - We had multiple stops in Messina. The town is small and the dock is about the most accessible place you could imagine.  However, there isn't much in Messina at all.  You have to get out to the countryside.  You can visit Godfather towns, Mt Etna, or a real highlight is to get to Taormina.  If you have only one stop there, get yourself to Taormina and you can walk the village from one end to the other and then return to the port.  A small group tour would let you see more on the way, but your call.

NAPLES - I think this is pretty universally thought of as a poor city to visit.  You really need to get out of there and head to Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, or a ferry trip and day in Capri.  I just could not imagine staying in Naples and not doing one of those three things if never done any of them.  I would have recommendations for both Amalfi Coast guide and Capri.

BARCELONA - We have only been there once as a port stop/turnaround day like you will.  We had tickets for the Sagrada Familia (quite the experience for sure) and we walked around part of the city.  You need transportation from/to the port.

GIBRALTOR - Not been, but you could read up on other CC member trip reports.

MARSEILLES - Again, there is nothing of interest near/around the port.  You need to get out into the countryside. Perfect chance to explore around parts of Provence and the Luberon.  

GENOA - Have been to Genoa on a land trip, but I don't recall us doing much in the city itself.  Lots of history there no doubt.  Don't have any recollection of specific recommendations.  If you can get to Positano, that would be worthwhile.

LIVORNO - You don't want to stay in this city.  It's about 1.25 hrs to center of Florence (Duomo) and the museums nearby.  So you do have 2.5 hrs at least road travel, but Florence is an amazing place.  You just need to be careful how much you can fit in and book museum tickets ahead of time.  Another option is the Cinque Terre villages, which we did last Fall with a small group tour.  This really pays off because our guide was so good at timing things, we got to everything and timing with the ferries was great.  Typically, driver drops you off in Riomaggiore and you travel by foot and ferry up to Monterosso, where driver picks you up again and returns to port.  It is longer by road, but you can easily cover the villages in the day with a smart guide.

Please don't sell this trip short by not exploring highlights and famous places.

Edited by Steelers36

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I just looked at itinerary and it aligns well with part of what we did last October.

I would strongly state you are selling yourself short to simply expect to walk off ship and see things worthwhile, or be able to do the best things available. 

I would strongly suggest you find your Roll Call for these voyages and see what others are doing and perhaps join in with something.

ATHENS -  You should arrive early anyway, but could do the Acropolis area, but also walk the neighborhoods like Plaka .  Athens is a ways from the port, so I would say this is important and I would likely plan two days there.

SANTORINI - A beautiful island that requires a tender and then a cable car ride to get to the top of the cliff and Fira town.  But you really ought to see the island and AT LEAST get to Oia.  We had a small group local guide and it was great.  We saw a couple of beaches and had a nice lunch, etc.  Wish I had more time for Oia.  If you just want to go there on own, then get a taxi there and back.

KOTOR - This is another tender/shuttle port and the town is in a gorgeous setting.  You really want to see the sail-out at end of day.  We had two stops there and one we had a small group guide to Perast and that was enjoyable.  That said, once the tender drops you off at Kotor town, you can take in that town nicely without heading off elsewhere.  You would really need a second port stop to make something of the extra trip.

MESSINA - We had multiple stops in Messina. The town is small and the dock is about the most accessible place you could imagine.  However, there isn't much in Messina at all.  You have to get out to the countryside.  You can visit Godfather towns, Mt Etna, or a real highlight is to get to Taormina.  If you have only one stop there, get yourself to Taormina and you can walk the village from one end to the other and then return to the port.  A small group tour would let you see more on the way, but your call.

NAPLES - I think this is pretty universally thought of as a poor city to visit.  You really need to get out of there and head to Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, or a ferry trip and day in Capri.  I just could not imagine staying in Naples and not doing one of those three things if never done any of them.  I would have recommendations for both Amalfi Coast guide and Capri.

BARCELONA - We have only been there once as a port stop/turnaround day like you.  We had tickets for the Sagrada Familia (quite the experience for sure) and we walked around part of the city.  You need transportation from/to the port.

MARSEILLES - Again, there is nothing of interest near/around the port.  You need to get out into the countryside. Perfect change to explore around parts of Provence and the Luberon.  

GENOA - Have been to Genoa on a land trip, but I don't recall us doing much in the city itself.  Lots of history there no doubt.  Don't have any recollection of specific recommendations.  If you can get to Positano, that would be worthwhile.

LIVORNO - You don't want to stay in this city.  It's about 1.25 hrs to center of Florence (Duomo) and the museums nearby.  So you do have 2.5 hrs at least road travel, but Florence is an amazing place.  You just need to be careful how much you can fit in and book museum tickets ahead of time.  Another option is the Cinque Terre villages, which we did last Fall with a small group tour.  This really pays off because our guide was so good at timing things, we got to everything and timing with the ferries was great.  Typically, driver drops you off in Riomaggiore and you travel by foot and ferry up to Monterosso, where driver picks you up again and returns to port.  It is longer by road, but you can easily cover the villages in the day with a smart guide.

Please don't sell this trip short by not exploring highlights and famous places.

Oh most definitely - we just wondered about perhaps not doing an excursion per se at each port.  Thank you so much for this information, I will be printing this out!! It is greatly appreciated!! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

BARCELONA - We have only been there once as a port stop/turnaround day like you.  We had tickets for the Sagrada Familia (quite the experience for sure) and we walked around part of the city.  You need transportation from/to the port.

MARSEILLES - Again, there is nothing of interest near/around the port.  You need to get out into the countryside. Perfect change to explore around parts of Provence and the Luberon.  

1 hour ago, Booboochase said:

@Steelers36 is spot on!  Great suggestions.  I’ll add Gibraltar…get on your roll call and see if others, maybe 6 of you or 8 can do a taxi tour of the Rock.  It’s perfect, you see everything.  Walking around town, would not show you anything.

We used this taxi company. Great tour.

http://www.gibraltartaxiassociation.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

@Steelers36 is spot on!  Great suggestions.  I’ll add Gibraltar…get on your roll call and see if others, maybe 6 of you or 8 can do a taxi tour of the Rock.  It’s perfect, you see everything.  Walking around town, would not show you anything.

We used this taxi company. Great tour.

http://www.gibraltartaxiassociation.com/

Fantastic!! Thank you!!!

@Steelers36 100% agree.  At Livorno I would add the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  When there, we skipped Florence because it was a Monday and the Museum with David  was closed.  

I think the only port I would not do an excursion is Kotor.  Easy to walk around the old city.  

I will agree with @PacnGoNow about Gibraltar.  You don't want to just see the rock from a distance. You want to go there and see the Barbary apes.  There are also tunnels there and a cave.  Many people just get a taxi tour.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Janbcruiser said:

Don’t need the discussions, just prefer to have the dining room dress codes encouraged and enforced.

Thanks. I agree with that.  If they don't want to follow the dress suggestions there are other dining venues besides the MDR.

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Really?  You enjoy having endless dress code discussions on here?  I wish they could end.

So why do you insist on reading about them?

1 hour ago, Grego said:

Thanks. I agree with that.  If they don't want to follow the dress suggestions there are other dining venues besides the MDR.

Actually, the DR dress codes are very tolerant lately. They just don't require that formal clothing be worn, that was once mandated, in order to enjoy the better meal selections. It now allows everyone to determine (within reason) what is proper for a particular evening.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are taking this cruise - Athens to Rome.  We wanted to go to Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.  If we have to go thru immigration, what time should we book our tickets for?

Edited by cms2001

On 5/28/2023 at 9:18 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Except in Barcelona.  We had to go through, as a b2b group, get our passports stamped, then back OB.  
Just like in FLL.  This was at the end of March.  They just changed the turnaround rules. Was a mess, because they just started doing this. 😳

That wasn’t the case Saturday. Nothing at all had to be done in Barcelona 

22 hours ago, Booboochase said:

There are many options in some of the port cities that are walkable. The ports of call boards might be helpful, it all depends on your interests. When you say you don’t want an excursion do you mean you want to only stay in the port area? Would walking tours appeal to you?

As examples- Barcelona has many sights that you can see on your own but you might need a taxi unless you are up to a longer walk. Naples has the underground Naples tour that is close to the port and very interesting and there are also many restaurants and sights near the port. Kotor is a lovely place to walk around as is Mykonos, where you can easily take a bus or water taxi to Mykonos town. It’s also easy to enjoy a walk and a meal in Heraklion. Istanbul’s port is right in the city as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cms2001 said:

We are taking this cruise - Athens to Rome.  We wanted to go to Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.  If we have to go thru immigration, what time should we book our tickets for?

As of this week there is no requirement to go through immigration.

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

That wasn’t the case Saturday. Nothing at all had to be done in Barcelona 

Were you on a turnaround?  Were you coming from a non EU country?

I think it was because it was our first major EU port coming in and they wanted to stamp our passports. 

I bet if you’re embarking from a EU port and doing a turnaround or b2b you wouldn’t have to get

it stamped,

Regardless, if you were on a tour or wanted to just get off, you could get off with everyone else.  Might have to take passport and get It stamped though.  That’s what some of the b2b’s did, instead of waiting around to be escorted off and back on.

Edited by PacnGoNow