Perks or OBC from travel agent?

HappyTravels4ever

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Your post is typically shortsighted.

Rebates (in all sorts of businesses) are a proven revenue generator that increases total bottom line profit by catalyzing repeat purchases and client recruitment.

Our primary TA is well known and well respected in the cruise industry. Not only does it provide rebates ranging from 5 to 10% of the commissionable fare, it issues finder’s fees of several hundred $ for referrals that end up being paying customers.Add to this the reality that many cruise lines pay TA commissions on a sliding scale based, in part, on sales volume AND provide pass through client incentive $ (e.g., to pay gratuities) to those same TAs, and it quickly becomes obvious that a smart TA and its Agents, employing the right Rebate (and related perks) strategies will have net profits that are far higher than if they didn’t rebate. It’s the same reason why TAs pay “dues” to TA consortia that increase each TA’s bottom line by supplying added client incentives and off loading some other TA costs (e.g., advertising).

Please recognize that a savvy individual travel agent will always be working to build a client base that focuses on clients who don’t require a ton of handholding and who book numerous and/or longer cruises annually perhaps even with the same single cruise line (preferably premium luxury ones). That same savvy individual agent also will look to align themselves with a Travel Agency (and/or TA consortium) that employs associated customer service reps (to handle issues that may arise regarding TA advocacy) and rewards that Agent well. 

I am always being told, that if I deal with agents that don't give rebates, I will benefit greatly by having an agent that will handle all my concerns expeditiously.  Being on wait lists for regular cabins,  would be dealt with immediately and not left to chance, getting flight arrangements of choice, etc.

And yet, here I am, still preferring a hefty rebate.

I HATE this topic has to be debated.  However, just like the debate on "Cruise Only" vs. "Simply More"; "Not getting a drink program vs. choosing one"; or "choosing a brand over another brand"; this topic is of interest to those that make comments including myself obviously. 

My entire business life, I was a owner of a business until retirement.  Essentially, I earned 100% commission. Uniquely, I taught Sales, Management and Executive Leadership skills as my product.  Commission is how I earned my living.  "Don't sell, don't eat."  Simple notion.  Cruise Travel Agents just came off two years of very few commissions during covid.  Yet they were canceling, rebooking and busy keeping there client base up-to-speed.  All for no income.  

If I had a dime for every time during my career, I was asked for a discount on my daily rate, I could be cruising 52 weeks a year.  Either you know your value or you don't.  I never discounted and I rarely lost a sale. That was the career decision I made.  Many travel agents openly make claims that if you book with them, you can save money or gain perks for booking with them over booking with Oceania (Or any other cruise brand).  One agent in particular has done many luxury cruise video's on YouTube. If he offers a benefit, we would be foolish not to take it.  For the life of me, I wish folks could see and be worth every penny of commission they can earn.  With statements like the agent above, it is clear he is simply taking the path of least resistance. 

This opens for more guest to ask for discount even if the agent never offered one.  Once the Genie is let out of the bottle, it can't go back.  My personal opinion and take it for what it is worth.  I have never asked my Travel Agent for a discount, credit or perk.  I do not ask my agent to do to much for me except a change here and there.  Prompt Accurate Communication is all I ask and really need.  I have received free gratuities by the agents company as long as the fare I got was not a special promotion.  That was an agency special. Did my agent offer to do some perks for me out of her own pocket, "Yes".  Not much but a kids Drink Package or something like that.  I declined and said, "Keep the money and never give your commission away!"  That is my background and the way I really feel.  

If you insist on a perk, discount or OBC; some agents will give it, others will give you a reason they are worth the commission they earn.  The guest has to make a determination on what is right for them.  Either way, it is up to the guest and the agent. My motto is as follows:

"If an agent is so willing to provide a deep discount, how much of their services will also be deeply discounted!"

Just my two cents. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I HATE this topic has to be debated.  However, just like the debate on "Cruise Only" vs. "Simply More"; "Not getting a drink program vs. choosing one"; or "choosing a brand over another brand"; this topic is of interest to those that make comments including myself obviously. 

My entire business life, I was a owner of a business until retirement.  Essentially, I earned 100% commission. Uniquely, I taught Sales, Management and Executive Leadership skills as my product.  Commission is how I earned my living.  "Don't sell, don't eat."  Simple notion.  Cruise Travel Agents just came off two years of very few commissions during covid.  Yet they were canceling, rebooking and busy keeping there client base up-to-speed.  All for no income.  

If I had a dime for every time during my career, I was asked for a discount on my daily rate, I could be cruising 52 weeks a year.  Either you know your value or you don't.  I never discounted and I rarely lost a sale. That was the career decision I made.  Many travel agents openly make claims that if you book with them, you can save money or gain perks for booking with them over booking with Oceania (Or any other cruise brand).  One agent in particular has done many luxury cruise video's on YouTube. If he offers a benefit, we would be foolish not to take it.  For the life of me, I wish folks could see and be worth every penny of commission they can earn.  With statements like the agent above, it is clear he is simply taking the path of least resistance. 

This opens for more guest to ask for discount even if the agent never offered one.  Once the Genie is let out of the bottle, it can't go back.  My personal opinion and take it for what it is worth.  I have never asked my Travel Agent for a discount, credit or perk.  I do not ask my agent to do to much for me except a change here and there.  Prompt Accurate Communication is all I ask and really need.  I have received free gratuities by the agents company as long as the fare I got was not a special promotion.  That was an agency special. Did my agent offer to do some perks for me out of her own pocket, "Yes".  Not much but a kids Drink Package or something like that.  I declined and said, "Keep the money and never give your commission away!"  That is my background and the way I really feel.  

If you insist on a perk, discount or OBC; some agents will give it, others will give you a reason they are worth the commission they earn.  The guest has to make a determination on what is right for them.  Either way, it is up to the guest and the agent. My motto is as follows:

"If an agent is so willing to provide a deep discount, how much of their services will also be deeply discounted!"

Just my two cents. 

Plus 1

Would you ask your doctor for a discount??

Jancruz1

I recently booked an Alaska family cruise for 7 on Regent & had to find a new TA. One was in a large on-line company offering $1K discount per cabin, but during our discussion I learned she’d never sailed on Regent or even to Alaska. Another offered less of a discount & seemed more knowledgeable but didn’t respond to my calls or e-mail in a timely manner. I ended up booking with someone who knows Oceania & Regent well & has inside contacts such that if I have trouble booking an excursion for our group she will arrange it for me. She has responded to both calls & e-mails within 30 minutes, even on a weekend when I wasn’t expecting a response for a few days. I may get some OBC from her (gratuities are already included in Regent) but her availability & assistance are priceless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jancruz Jan, I know that this topic is sensitive.  From a client perspective my gut tells me why it comes up so often.  44 years ago when I took my first cruise, the nature of cruising was different.  It was in my opinion the best value in vacationing.  Since at the time, I was broke, with a new wife budget was a huge thing.  In the budget we go, out of the budget we stay home.  No flexibility.  

As the years went on, we went from inside state room with bunk beds, to 40 + years later suites.  Back then we could find deals.  Real deals not less money for a stateroom and you find out later, you don't have a drink package, "Surprise".  Just like in the car business, back then it was based on negotiation and haggling to some extent.  Now the prices are pretty much fixed for cars with very little haggling room.  Why, the manufacturers changed the pricing to the dealers.  In the cruise industry, with very few exceptions the same thing holds true.  Pricing is computerized using algorithms that are complex. 

Yet I as a consumer most still always look for that deal. They feel like not going after it makes me them the fool.  No one means any offense with their approach because it is a matter of habit.  Old habits die hard. Over the next few years, as with the automobile industry, the understanding of the value of a truly professional Cruise Travel Agent will become even more clear.  Just reading the 20+ page cruise guest contract should let all of us know, maybe having a pro on our team is a good thing so let's pay them.

58 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

I recently booked an Alaska family cruise for 7 on Regent & had to find a new TA. One was in a large on-line company offering $1K discount per cabin, but during our discussion I learned she’d never sailed on Regent or even to Alaska. Another offered less of a discount & seemed more knowledgeable but didn’t respond to my calls or e-mail in a timely manner. I ended up booking with someone who knows Oceania & Regent well & has inside contacts such that if I have trouble booking an excursion for our group she will arrange it for me. She has responded to both calls & e-mails within 30 minutes, even on a weekend when I wasn’t expecting a response for a few days. I may get some OBC from her (gratuities are already included in Regent) but her availability & assistance are priceless.

Getting your calls returned in 30 minutes! This sounds like a miracle! 

I've gone through some of the same trials, but the main problem is getting calls returned quickly. Now I seem to have a better agent, or maybe I've just gotten more patient, but I really wish I could find out how you got so lucky!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I've gone through some of the same trials, but the main problem is getting calls returned quickly. Now I seem to have a better agent, or maybe I've just gotten more patient, but I really wish I could find out how you got so lucky!

We booked our first O cruise directly from O. My original plan was to switch to a TA within the 30 days; however, the person at O has been great. I can send a detailed email, expecting a response within a day or 2. In almost all instances, he called me within minutes to answer all of my questions. No rebates, no free gratuities; however, very good response time. Not sure if I would have done better with an experienced TA or not. Maybe next time.

1 hour ago, SATaxman said:

We booked our first O cruise directly from O. My original plan was to switch to a TA within the 30 days; however, the person at O has been great. I can send a detailed email, expecting a response within a day or 2. In almost all instances, he called me within minutes to answer all of my questions. No rebates, no free gratuities; however, very good response time. Not sure if I would have done better with an experienced TA or not. Maybe next time.

I understand, as I'm happy working directly with the cruise lines. The credits have lured me to an agency, but I still do the research in choosing what to do myself.

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I would be really concerned if my TA doesn't get back with me within 10 minutes to an hour. I tell my TA, it's not important, whenever you get around to it, then she takes care of it right away.  Sometimes I think I'm her only client, then I find out she's one of Oceania's top agents. I can't imagine how she take care of the people booking the Oceania Suites & Up, or the ATW cruisers. As her Dad says, they keep her locked up in closet working 24 hours a day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

I would be really concerned if my TA doesn't get back with me within 10 minutes to an hour. I tell my TA, it's not important, whenever you get around to it, then she takes care of it right away.  Sometimes I think I'm her only client, then I find out she's one of Oceania's top agents. I can't imagine how she take care of the people booking the Oceania Suites & Up, or the ATW cruisers. As her Dad says, they keep her locked up in closet working 24 hours a day. 

I would probably trade any credits if I had an agent that was that knowledgeable and returned calls that quickly. But I understand why Cruise Critic doesn't want any of these boards inundated with recommendations.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Just my two cents. 

What you seem to be missing is that, with a savvy TA, you shouldn’t have to ask. If will be offered to you to incentivize a long term, mutually beneficial relationship. 
Sorry but, you too are extremely short sighted when it comes to the big picture.

4 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Plus 1

Jancruz1

Actually, I would and I do- whenever s/he is out-of-network or the fee is way out of line with the regular range of fees in my region. For example, I recently needed a root canal (dam pop corn kernel. Given the immediacy of the procedure, I had to use a well-respected endodontist whose “list” price was almost twice the network rate. As we had some mutual early life experiences, I asked if he would drop the assessment fee of several hundred dollars since my dentist had already done X-rays and evaluation. His answer, “no problem.”

Read articles in Consumers Report of Checkbook.org on this topics. Everyone states that medical/dental fees are always negotiable. Of course, one has to be reasonable and base the request on comparable rates to get a positive answer.

Let me counter with another consumer question: would you ever pay MSRP for a new car?

3 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Good response. I know, everyone would feel so sorry for the poor dealership. 

I love it when the car salesman or saleswoman tells you they are losing money on the deal. (yes, they make it up in volume) I lived a few houses down the street from a local GM dealer that had a multimillion-dollar lake house. He came there maybe 5-6 times a year. Once as we were walking by I spoke with his window washer about how many windows they had to wash there, his reply was "yeah, but you ought to see his house in (insert local country club, golf course community", Highland Springs in our scenario. 

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What you seem to be missing is that, with a savvy TA, you shouldn’t have to ask. If will be offered to you to incentivize a long term, mutually beneficial relationship. 
Sorry but, you too are extremely short sighted when it comes to the big picture.

@Flatbush Flyer I respect your opinion.  We all have one.  My opinion is neither short sighted nor off base.  Those that think so, simply have a different point of view.  My opinion like many, are based on our experience on many, many cruises.  Just like a cruise, every person's experiences are different so how they handle cruise related items are a bit unique. 

Our world seems to be all about the only opinion that matters and is right is mine.  I personally feel that every opinion matters, none are really short sighted and as long as you are happy with the outcome all is good with the world.  As long as it does not negatively effect my experience. 

So want to ask for a part of a commission, go ahead.  Want to think it should be offered to have a long a lasting relationship, I hope that works out for you.  Want to let your valued team member make all their earned commission, your decision to make.  Want to give you opinion on the experience you have had, that is what social media is all about as long as we don't hurt someone else.  Making ones own decision is NOT short sighted.  It is being human.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I was born in Brooklyn where the first complete learned sentence spoken by most toddlers is “Never pay retail.”

@Flatbush Flyer Times change.  I was born in New York also.  Great upbringing. The biggest complaint is in retail sales of all kinds which was my area of expertise for 45 years is, "I hate not just knowing what the price is and making my decision on the quality of the product solely".  That is why the Automobile New Vehicle Business is now increasingly "One Priced" also know as "Value Priced".  Still there are old school buyers than say, No Discount, I will buy elsewhere.  Happens all the time.  On the other hand the first time sales with no negotiation and haggling are up 37%.  Lose a few gain a lot.  Who would have thought that would happen.  Hence the industry transition. 

Opinions are our right.  Business will always gravitate to what works best for them.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Plus 1

Jancruz1

Would you really use a physician who works on commission in the first place???  😵

Many, many medical practices discount their services for patients who do not have insurance or are experiencing financial difficulties.

Really, most people don't even ask what a physician's rates are because someone else is usually footing the bill in the first place.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

That is why the Automobile New Vehicle Business is now increasingly "One Priced" also know as "Value Priced".  Still there are old school buyers than say, No Discount, I will buy elsewhere.  Happens all the time.  On the other hand the first time sales with no negotiation and haggling are up 37%.  Lose a few gain a lot.  Who would have thought that would happen.  Hence the industry transition. 

And I'm sure the industry loves it, they have been pushing the "no haggling, best price up front" for years, it's not new. I view this as, we'll set the price as high as we want it, take it or leave it. I view much of this a result of the younger generation being known by those in the auto sales industry as "screaming lay downs". I grew up in the school of thought that you negotiate for the best possible price on a car that you can get. So, I have to agree with FF on this. 

I agree with you on a TA commission as many of them are small businesses, car dealerships are another kettle of fish altogether, and many times not always the most ethical, to put it nicely. Very rarely will any discount you negotiate on a car affect the salesman's commission.  Not so much on the rebates or OBC that a TA gives you. 

BUT, if they offer I'm not going to refuse. (oops, one little word makes a lot of difference)

Edited by ORV

15 minutes ago, ORV said:

And I'm sure the industry loves it, they have been pushing the "no haggling, best price up front" for years, it's not new. I view this as, we'll set the price as high as we want it, take it or leave it. I view much of this a result of the younger generation being known by those in the auto sales industry as "screaming lay downs". I grew up in the school of thought that you negotiate for the best possible price on a car that you can get. So, I have to agree with FF on this. 

I agree with you on a TA commission as many of them are small businesses, car dealerships are another kettle of fish altogether, and many times not always the most ethical, to put it nicely. Very rarely will any discount you negotiate on a car affect the salesman's commission.  Not so much on the rebates or OBC that a TA gives you. 

BUT, if they offer I'm going to refuse. 

@ORV I respect your opinion. Normally I would share more information to prove my point. How ever, this is a cruise board, not automotive.  I brought up auto to make a point about pricing evolution.

On to cruising. Last night I sent my agent a thank you note.  Last year I sent her a $100 Capital Grille gift card. 

I have also been known to send thank you notes and flowers to Brand Team members that have gone above and beyond.

I spent 45 years of my career teaching people to go above and beyond. Because this is so ingrained in me, because I know that that attitude is not necessarily everyone’s. A little extra thank you goes along way. But most people don’t know, is that my travel agent when I had to cancel a cruise eight days before it happened, personally contacted a member of the insurance company staff to get me paid quickly. This allowed me to rebook because I was financially hole. 

Where we should expect someone to go above and beyond, it is a rarity. When you find someone who will do it, stick with them for life. Pay their entire commission. It will come back to you when you least expect it.

Cruise well, and enjoy every moment

@Sthrngary - While I understand your sentiments regarding above and beyond service and to a large degree, I agree with you.  I think what is missing from this part of the conversation is a concept that I haven't seen mentioned here.  It is commissions on upsells or cross sells. 

As much as we would love to believe that the TA lives to make my travel a perfect experience, in reality, the TA lives to make money to support their family and/or lifestyle.  That being said, the consumer is becoming increasingly wary of tactics used by salespeople in all industries and professions to increase their commissions. 

I don't need the TA's excursion company or commissionable insurance sale in addition to booking my cruise.  I don't need to be prompted to use a different cruise line because the TA's commission rate is higher than the line I was interested in.  I'm sure there are many very reputable TAs who provide great service, but the bottom line is that they do it in order to make more money by retaining clients.

Many of these reputable TAs probably provide better service to the clients who bring in the most income to the TA's office and provide less service to those clients who book the cheapest travel arrangements infrequently.  Often the lesser provided service is deliberately done in order to convince those clients to seek assistance elsewhere providing more time to service the 'high rollers' better.

To each their own, whether we are discussing the proclivities of the sellers or the buyers.  😉 

Daniel;

3 to 1. The people Travel Agents try to quickly dump are those that book a cruise, get help arranging air and ship shorex, and then cancel. They do a lot of work with zero compensation. 3 to 1, bookings to cruises taken, often means Travel Agents are firing the more offending customers more than vice versus.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Daniel;

3 to 1. The people Travel Agents try to quickly dump are those that book a cruise, get help arranging air and ship shorex, and then cancel. They do a lot of work with zero compensation. 3 to 1, bookings to cruises taken, often means Travel Agents are firing the more offending customers more than vice versus.

I do understand that they have to deal with 'tire kickers', but that's part of the business.  I shouldn't be expected to compensate the TA for the tire kickers.  As for firing a TA, the only time I 'fired' a TA was when I booked my fourth vacation with the same agent at a nationwide automobile club and travel agency.  Not only was she always trying to steer me to a Disney product, (whether land or sea based) but after three prior trips booked through her I booked a $22,000 cruise with her and as a thank you I got one free specialty dinner for us.  Fortunately, when Covid hit, the cruise was cancelled and when I booked the exact same itinerary with an online agency last year, it came in from another major cruise line and it was a week longer and with the online agency's perks I ended up spending $15,500 for the replacement sailing in the same cabin category.