Specialty dining lunch on boarding day

BND

On 6/4/2023 at 6:54 AM, HBCcruiser said:

Does anyone know which specialty restaurants are open for lunch on the Vision? The planner allows me to book any of them (Chops, Izumi and Giovani’s) however, when I look at the current sailing it looks like only Chops is open for sea day  lunches. That seems odd. Can anyone report on that? 

IMG_4175.png

That is common for only one to be available on Embarkation day.

17 hours ago, Florida Glamazon said:

Hmmm, I am wondering about the availability of Playmakers on boarding day- and how hard it is to lug our carry-on rolling suitcase (several necessary items) into Playmakers? The Key used to be a good option but the price is soooo much higher than just the internet alone.

This is why I check my carry-on rolling suitcase now.  I have decided that if I won't use it for the 2 hours from getting on the ship until cabins open up I don't want to carry it.  I use a back pack and DW has a cross body satchel and every item necessary for those two hours can easily fit in them.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That is common for only one to be available on Embarkation day.

What about the other Sea Days on Vision? I know on other ships they are all available. I am asking about Vision because I see contradicting info between the Planner and the current sailing on the App. 

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

What about the other Sea Days on Vision? I know on other ships they are all available. I am asking about Vision because I see contradicting info between the Planner and the current sailing on the App. 

I can't speak to what is specific to that cruise but just what I know to be common practice across the fleet. It has been my experience that embarkation days has one specialty open and sea days all are available.  Of course consistently inconsistent Royal could throw a wrench into that on any particular ship or sailing.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/2/2023 at 10:45 AM, KiwiGal117 said:

I just checked my September Explorer cruise and Chops is available for lunch on embarkation day.  Maybe it's just Jewel?

I did the Arctic Circle cruise on Jewel this past October and we had the UDP.  No Chops for lunch on embarkation day.  Was quite disappointed in that.

On 6/3/2023 at 12:18 PM, pcur said:

I just checked the Cruise Planner online for my Adventure cruise this September, and both Chops and Giovanni's are open on embarkation day for lunch.

I find the Cruise Planner to be easier to work with.  Select the lunch option, and it shows you all the days lunch is available and what specialty restaurants are open.

I see the restaurants but they're not giving me times for my upcoming Adventure OTS sailing in 5 days this coming Friday.  Where did you find this??????  Thanks.

On 6/2/2023 at 12:57 PM, SilkySal said:

Not sure how many ships do this but on our last cruise on the Serenade, Chops was closed due to serving all of the suite guests and the back-to-backers in the MDR. They are all served a very upscale lunch on embarkation day! I had been able to previously book Chops on-line but, when we arrived, we were told about the closing. Since it was obviously RCCL's error to even let us book the lunch, we were able to dine with the others that day and was even refunded our pre-booking fee, so they made it right for us!

Do you mean the key guests instead of suite guests?  I'm in an owners suite and no nothing about chops dinner in the MDR.

Yes, that one time we dined with the Key guests in the MDR at no charge.

Chops is still listed today (I just looked for the Adventure on December 8th) in my cruise planner but the sale price of $15.99pp ($18.99pp with grats) is no longer available; price now is $26.99pp for lunch and $62.99pp for dinner. My reservation says lunch is on Day 1 at 12:15pm. So, not sure where our lunch will take place but, if Chops is closed for lunch again on embarkation day, they will honor our pre-purchased Chops lunch somewhere and maybe with the Key again at no charge. Time will tell!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 1:39 PM, Surfguyxxx said:

I see the restaurants but they're not giving me times for my upcoming Adventure OTS sailing in 5 days this coming Friday.  Where did you find this??????  Thanks.

You have to click on "Reserve" and when the page refreshes it gives you the days and times.

• Thanks 1