Live from JessyCruises European Vacation: Amsterdam, London, Venice & Explorer of Seas

I fell behind over this past weekend and have just finished catching up now. I’m exhausted trying to keep up with you and all that you were able to do in such a relatively short period of time! You obviously did a lot of research and planning which certainly seems to have paid off. Your pictures have been fabulous and I’ve enjoyed them all. 😀  Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

I meant the RC shuttle from Venice to the port. I booked the transfer through my travel agent, we had the choice between 9am and 11am.

When I called to book it, I requested the earliest time and that is the one they provided me with.  Originally they tried to put me on the 11:30 from the airport but I requested an earlier time from Tronchetto

10 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Thanks for the review, sailing in October, can’t wait. That tender looks wheelchair accessible or maybe it’s my wishful thinking. My daughter is in a wheelchair. 

There was a step down getting into the boat we were on and a large step getting off.  I would assume they do have accessible tenders.  We have another tender in a few days - I will try to find out for you.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

LOVING this review, we're doing this sailing on 6/25.  Did you get a feel at the shuttle bus stop that busses leave as soon as they are full?  We also have 9:00 tickets and I'd love to get to the ship as early as possible, wondering if the earlier you get to the People Mover area, the earlier bus you'll get on and can depart?

Keep the updates coming, it's fantastic!

I think we all left pretty much at the same time

Bathroom with a view…

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg

This is the ladies room by Chops & the Windjammer.  Paul says the men’s is the same. That is Corduroy, Greece is the background.

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

I'm enjoying your review and love the beautiful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. We are booked on Explorer for December. Still hope to sail with you both again some day. Glad you are having an awesome trip;)

Hey Vera!!! We are having an amazing time.  We hope to sail with you again too!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, perfect match said:

I fell behind over this past weekend and have just finished catching up now. I’m exhausted trying to keep up with you and all that you were able to do in such a relatively short period of time! You obviously did a lot of research and planning which certainly seems to have paid off. Your pictures have been fabulous and I’ve enjoyed them all. 😀  Thank you for sharing.

thank you!  To be honest we are a bit exhausted too, but in a good way 😂.  It definitely would have been nice to have another day or two in London so we were not as rushed but we are glad we got to as much as we did.  I am bummed I missed out on the Globe theatre. We were going to go back over that way but never got the chance.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Bathroom with a view…

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg

This is the ladies room by Chops & the Windjammer.  Paul says the men’s is the same. That is Corduroy, Greece is the background.

Corfu, not Corduroy 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Today was Corfu, Greece.  The time zone jumped ahead by an hour here.  The plan today was to go to Old Town and one of the fortresses but we slept in and did not get off the ship until 12:15 and aboard was at 2:30 so we skipped the fortress.  We contemplated not walking to Old Town, but we decided to do it anyway as we did not want to miss it.  It would be stupid to be all the way here and not see it!!

Be warned that the pier walk is about 1 KM and about 1.5 if you included getting to the exit.  The total walk from getting off the ship to Old Town is 35 minutes.  That may change depending on where on the pier you are docked.  We were docked with 3 other ships,  the Viking Sea, the Marella Explorer 2 and the Sea Dream 2.  Of course, we were the furthest away from the terminal 😄 They did have busses that ran from a few bus stops on the piers to the terminal, but we did not pass a bus on either the way from the ship or the way back. 

IMG_3645.thumb.jpeg.5426f704aef8839215fa3608f498dd62.jpeg

IMG_3584.thumb.jpeg.5567954c7b2309087cb708f72f35e6ec.jpeg

IMG_3585.thumb.jpeg.f4cdc3c315ac310f2e76d0c16c4be13e.jpeg

IMG_3588.thumb.jpeg.54b83b3ecc07abc26472b65c77779238.jpeg

To get to Old Town, you basically just take a left when you exit the port and keep walking. You can’t miss it.

IMG_3622.thumb.jpeg.ac512f0eb33f4f9cc60bb561197dc886.jpeg

The area you walk through is not the cleanest or most attractive place I have ever walked through, but it felt safe and there were no vendors calling you to come into their shops.  Because we were short on time, when we got to Old Town we just strolled through the street and allies.  It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was built by the Venetians, so it was definitely giving me Venice vibes, just with no canals and bridges.  It was very pretty and quaint.  I really wish we had not slept in so we would have had more time.

IMG_3586.jpeg

IMG_3587.jpeg

IMG_3590.jpeg

IMG_3591.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3596.jpeg

IMG_3599.jpeg

IMG_3600.jpeg

IMG_3603.jpeg

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_3606.jpeg

IMG_3607.jpeg

IMG_3608.jpeg

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3615.jpeg

When we got back to the port, we were directed to the Explorer of the Seas line up. It was a long one. This is in front of us:

IMG_3625.jpeg

And behind:

IMG_3626.jpeg

After about 10 minutes, we made it into the terminal to go through security, which took another 10 minutes or so.  

IMG_3627.jpeg

All told, it took about 35 minutes to get through the security line and back onto the ship.  We got back on just in time @ 2:15.  It was definitely the closest we have ever boarded to all aboard!

IMG_3638.jpeg

IMG_3640.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

IMG_3639.jpeg

IMG_3589.jpeg

IMG_3597.jpeg

IMG_3602.jpeg

IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

IMG_3614.jpeg

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 10

Today was Athens (Piraeus), Greece.  Originally, we had nothing planned or booked and had planned on using public transportation, but yesterday after we got back onboard, we decided to book one of the hop on/hop off tours as we had such a good experience with it in London. I have a small Viator discount through Perkopolis.  This is the one we chose: https://www.viator.com/en-CA/tours/Athens/City-Sightseeing-Athens-Piraeus-Beach-Riviera-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour/d496-2916ATHENS

We purchased the 24hr Athens & Piraeus route which said it had a pick up at the cruise terminal.  After the discount it came to $72.35 CAD.  I received a link to the tickets via email which were a QR code I had to have scanned when we checked in at the first bus.

We were scheduled to be able disembark at 12pm.  We headed to lunch in the morning Windjammer at 11:45.  As we were heading there the Captain announced we were free to leave. We headed down to deck 1 at 12:10 and walked right off the ship.  The terminal was super close - literally directly in front of the ship.

IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.11f0579287b9bf383da5419095298de8.jpeg

We turned left as we exited the terminal and the different hop on/off buses were all right there ready to go. We were still within a stones throw of the ship.

IMG_3665.thumb.jpeg.1a113f5dbb9c689aac05243e82b0e3fe.jpeg

IMG_3667.thumb.jpeg.02b0797c40d1b5f7f7e876a278ff3873.jpeg

There was someone outside the bus with a scanner that scanned our QR code and printed our tickets.  They provided us a map and a pair of headphones in a sealed package (we got those on the London one too but I was not sure if I mentioned it).  This is the route of the bus we had:

IMG_1466.thumb.jpeg.db3b482d8d70cd8da8b00401db960592.jpeg

The Piraeus route is the green line and runs between the cruise terminals and the acropolis with a couple of stops in between and lovely views along the way.  The ride to the acropolis was about an hour.

IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3677.jpeg

We did not purchase tickets to enter the acropolis but walked up as far as we could without them then headed left where there was a set of stairs leading to a rocky outcrop with amazing views of the Parthenon and the city below.

IMG_3736.jpeg

IMG_3737.jpeg

IMG_3690.jpeg

IMG_3697.jpeg

IMG_3698.jpeg

IMG_3699.jpeg

IMG_3702.jpeg

IMG_3716.jpeg

IMG_3722.jpeg

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3734.jpeg

We then headed down the other slope and passed by some other ruins.

IMG_3739.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg

IMG_3745.jpeg

We ended up on a street with several shops and vendors.  Of course we had to stop for a chicken gyro.

IMG_3756.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

We then decided I do the entire circle on the red line.  The full loop was about an hour and a half and included the audio tour.

Hadrian’s Arch

IMG_3757.jpeg

Temple of Zeus

IMG_3760.jpeg

IMG_3801.jpeg

IMG_3819.jpeg

IMG_3822.jpeg

After getting off by Hadrian’s Arch, we strolled through what I think was park of Plaka and did some shopping. It was very lovely.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3830.jpeg

IMG_3831.jpeg

IMG_3833.jpeg

We then headed by foot back to the Acropolis to catch the green line back to Piraeus.  The return trip was about 45 minutes.  This terminal/port was much smoother than Corfu.

IMG_3845.jpeg

Paul says this was his favourite port so far.

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

When we got back onboard it was just turning 6pm and we headed to the Windjammer for dinner.  I found it interesting that they now have black napkins. As recently as lunch today they were still the old beige. You could tell these napkins were brand spanking new.  Will be interesting to see if they have them tomorrow at lunch.

IMG_3851.thumb.jpeg.9509935c402c2600b9f15f687295c50b.jpeg

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, irishgal432 said:

Do they narrate on the hop on hop off busses as you pass landmarks?

Yes they do.  They give you a new set of earbuds and there are headphone jacks at all of the seats.  They have channels with lots of  different languages.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:07 AM, JessyCruises said:

Bathroom with a view…

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg

Quite the view from that ladies room! 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Felicity830 said:

I've enjoyed reading your blog, was hoping you also had a TikTok account. I'm hoping to book a very similar cruise tomorrow for next May. 😁

I do have one but I have only ever posted once.  I usually just Post to my Instagram and Facebook - both are @jessycruises.  I really need to start using TikTok too to keep up with the times! 😂 this is my account in case I ever do start:

www.tiktok.com/@jessycruises

• Thanks 1

Today we are in Mykonos today but we decided to give our feet a much needed rest and spend the day enjoying the quiet solarium.  There are two good size hot tubs in here and a nice pool.  I do miss the bridge on the freedom class that had the deep pool behind in and the bar/seating directly under it eh oh offered a little shade if you wanted to be in the pool but not in the direct sun.  There is no cover over the pool here at all. 

IMG_3890.jpeg

IMG_3896.jpeg

IMG_3895.jpeg

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 3

According to the Facebook group for this sailing, it sounds like Norovirus has decided to make an appearance and a lot of families are all out of commission for a day or two.  There are many posts about it on Facebook and the replies are stacking up with lots of people saying they and and friends and family are sick with vomiting and diarrhea. I have not seen it personally, but multiple people have said they have seen people being physically sick in the Windjammer and it is does not appear to be alcohol related.  There has been discussion about who ate what, where and when and there does not appear to be a rhyme or reason to it, which means it is likely noro.

Apparently the medical phone line is so busy, people can rarely get through.  Folks are being offered Imodium and pedialyte or Gatorade and are being confined to their cabins for 24 hours.  We got hit with Noro on the Disney Wonder back in 2012 and I would not wish it on my worst enemy.  Hopefully everyone recovers quickly and they can curb the spread.  

On another cruise related illness note, my sister and mother were on the June 1st cruise on the Liberty which sailed to Bermuda and the Caribbean.  They disembarked on June 10 and drove home to Canada that day.  My sister works at a hospital so tested herself for COVID as soon as she got home and sure enough she had it.  My mother tested as well as she was feeling under the weather and she has it as well.  We have gotten COVID on a ship before, but it was back in January 2022 when omnicron was rampaging.  I live blogged that cruise - you might remember our saga of getting “stuck” in Florida for many days until Canada let us come home.  Royal Caribbean treated us very well and it was almost like another vacation.

The threat of COVID has never stopped us from travelling.  We started cruising soon after the restart in August 2021  and have been on about 30 cruises since and only gotten COVID tgat one time.  Technically I did not even get it on the cruise, I got it toward the end of our stay in Florida and only tested positive at the airport on the way home which was 9 or so nights after getting off the ship. I would honestly rather get COVID than noro, but of course I can say that that

because I am in a low risk group to have a serious case. Not everyone is so lucky.

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 5

I seem to have misplaced my seapass card sometime between leaving my cabin and lunch. I just went down to guest services to get a new card and took the opportunity to grad some photos of the promenade while

its quiet.

IMG_3898.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

R Bar

IMG_3900.jpeg

Guest services 

IMG_3902.jpeg

Explorer has a motorcycle & side car 

IMG_3903.jpeg

The Crown & Kettle

IMG_3904.jpeg

Cafe Promenade

IMG_3907.jpeg

Cafe Promenade menu.  You can use your drink packages and Diamond drinks here.

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3912.jpeg

IMG_3910.jpeg

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JessyCruises said:

We started cruising soon after the restart in August 2021  and have been on about 30 cruises since and only gotten COVID tgat one time.

I hope you and Paul stay well and enjoy the rest of the cruise! We cruised as much as we could after the restart and never got sick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

The threat of COVID has never stopped us from travelling.  We started cruising soon after the restart in August 2021  and have been on about 30 cruises since and only gotten COVID that one time.  

We haven't sailed as much as you guys, but only got Covid on one cruise, our Alaska cruise in 2022.  I figured it was because we were all inside so much.  And like you, even though our bout with Covid wiped us out, the worst 'sick' we've ever been was Noro.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone!  Hope you both stay healthy. 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 2

Firstly let me say how much I'm enjoying your review, your style is very easy to read.  I have been looking at cruises out of Ravenna but the journey to the port puts me off.  I have absolutely no sense of direction and the thought of finding my way to Tronchetto scares me!  I have seen people struggling with suitcases over all these bridges in Venice.  The heat and stress does of that does not appeal but the itinerary of the cruise is appealing so I'm in a quandary.

I have been to Venice a few times on cruises but was lucky enough to sail along the Grand Canal in fact the first cruise we were tendered and the shuttle took us near to St Marks Square.

How much did RCCL charge for the transfer and what is your honest opinion for someone with no sense of direction!  Thank you

• Like 1