A Seabourn newbie sails Ovation, Norway and the North Cape, June 11 2023

jondfk

13 hours ago, purpleally said:

Use your pull in the Retreat, maybe they can help with wine list

a good thought though we have meanwhile been provided the list.  It’s a bit of a yawn, but I’ve identified a serviceable white and very good Cab which cover my, admittedly pedestrian wants.

Last evening we made it for the first time to Earth and Ocean.  This wasn’t our original intention but the weather was so lovely with the deck awash in low angle Norwegian sun, we couldn’t resist.  

it was Chefs dinner night, never our favorite, which I think explained the fairly packed house.  The servers were just lovely though a bit stressed by the every table full situation.  The meal itself was very good, neither of us had the steak which I think made us quite exceptional.

A very nice first exposure and certainly something we look forward to doing again though perhaps not until our next sailing on Odyssey, in, can it really be, just six weeks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jondfk said:

it was Chefs dinner night, never our favorite, which I think explained the fairly packed house.  The servers were just lovely though a bit stressed by the every table full situation.  The meal itself was very good, neither of us had the steak which I think made us quite exceptional.

Glad you enjoyed earth and ocean and the weather cooperates.  I believe this is your first seabourn cruise.  Where did you previously have a chefs dinner.  While the one on seabourn isn’t for everyone, I found it very well attended and the menu excellent a couple of months ago and last fall.

we’re also on the Odyssey in a fe w weeks

nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nancygp said:

Glad you enjoyed earth and ocean and the weather cooperates.  I believe this is your first seabourn cruise.  Where did you previously have a chefs dinner.  While the one on seabourn isn’t for everyone, I found it very well attended and the menu excellent a couple of months ago and last fall.

we’re also on the Odyssey in a fe w weeks

nancy

Most recently on Oceania.  What we don’t care for (in general) is the forced pacing of the fixed menu.  I’m aware that a great many people look forward to and love this evening.  For us it was great to have such a solid alternative as E&O.

we’re on Odyssey on the August 11 sailing.  RT from Vancouver.

Edited by jondfk

I have never found any  forced pacing of the Chef's menu, and always enjoyed it very much - special dishes, small enough to enjoy all of them.  The odd time the fish course included some seafood I can't eat they did something different, always good.  We did always have it on a table for two, which might make the 'pacing' easier.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Most recently on Oceania.  What we don’t care for (in general) is the forced pacing of the fixed menu.  I’m aware that a great many people look forward to and love this evening.  For us it was great to have such a solid alternative as E&O.

we’re on Odyssey on the August 11 sailing.  RT from Vancouver.

We don’t do most of those special menus - not Chef’s night, not rib or Indian night in the Colonade.  We can make do ate E&O or the TK grill.  We like Seabourn but are not crazy about their food -  cruise is always a diet for me!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have never found any  forced pacing of the Chef's menu, and always enjoyed it very much - special dishes, small enough to enjoy all of them.  The odd time the fish course included some seafood I can't eat they did something different, always good.  We did always have it on a table for two, which might make the 'pacing' easier.

fully concur!  We view it as a wonderful tasting menu and no forced pacing

namcy

• Like 1

On our recent cruise on Sojourn, there was a Chef's Dinner which turned out to be one of the best meals we've had on Seabourn cruises, even through the printed menu didn't wow me in advance. We had no problems with the pace of the meal, although I'm sure that depends on how packed it is in the Restaurant and how on-the0-ball your server is in firing and fetching each course. 

• Like 2

The best meal we had on Seabourn was following the shopping with the Chef on Corfu. I chatted with Chef Jes and he said the food was very 'precribed' by the corporate office and how much he enjoyed creating menus from the market fresh products. At the time I commented on CC that I wondered why they paid huge sums to 'famous' chefs when the ones they employed were so talented and creative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

On our recent cruise on Sojourn, there was a Chef's Dinner which turned out to be one of the best meals we've had on Seabourn cruises, even through the printed menu didn't wow me in advance. We had no problems with the pace of the meal, although I'm sure that depends on how packed it is in the Restaurant and how on-the0-ball your server is in firing and fetching each course. 

Same on our recent ovation cruise.  The food and presentation exceeded our expectations.  The pace was was perfect for us…lovely, lovely meal and glad we decided to go.  The 2 other couple we were traveling with opted for the colonnade (weather wasn’t conducive for E &O) and said it was just ok.

nancy

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

At the time I commented on CC that I wondered why they paid huge sums to 'famous' chefs when the ones they employed were so talented and creative.

Totally agree. I would like to do a TA at some point but with the domination of Thomas Keller on Seabourn we are looking at Regent or Silversea to have more choice of menu. I keep hoping they no longer have a contract with TK.

Well, another day dawns on Our Seabourn Ovation (tm), lol.  This one happens to be my birthday.  Yesterday in Leon was just lovely, and I mean every aspect.  It’s a beautiful place and the weather could not possibly have been better.  The Herald forecasted a high of 44* F / 7* C, don’t believe everything you read as the actual high was 71*F, the briefest of morning showers gave way to clouds and then full sun by noontime.

The tender was comically short, something like 500 yards across a glassy fjord.

The day ended with a second visit to Keller Grill which we again enjoyed very much though our table was amongst the bench seating towards the back, with every table filled the noise level was much higher than our first visit, many would scribe this as “lively” but I found it distracting, voices had to rise to be heard.  Still the food was great and the service attentive.

We stop by Seabourn Square every evening and have reached point where our order is delivered without any discussion aside from the days events.  The order is handed to me with a thank you Mr. jondfk which is a bit odd as I can’t recall ever sharing my name with the lovely hostess.  

Today, for my day, we’ve made a special request of the chef, something I’ve never attempted before.  Expectations are high, I’ll report the result tomorrow.  

Sadly, we’ve started to consider the going home process.  Perhaps to distract we both booked spa appointments for the final day.  Packing up to go home is so much easier, mainly just a matter of emptying everything out.  We’ve learned the whole process takes an hour max.

Edited by jondfk
  • Like 3

Well, ones birthday on Seabourn is an all day affair.  The suite staff seemed to take usual note of our departure for breakfast.  While we were gone they created a towel cake and place a happy birthday banner.  Most everyone we passed in the hall wished me a happy birthday.

We were scheduled to tender into the small port of Skjolden today, when we arose we heard…. Sheep baa baa ing what looked to be on our verandah.  We were instead tied up alongside an idyllic pier.  Mrs. doesn’t like tendering and will do it only with great reluctance, the surprise change made for an impromptu wander around the lovely little, completely non touristic town (well perhaps not quite, the majority of the tow is made up of a series of rental homes overlooking the fjord) a lovely day, warm but a bit overcast.  As if playing some sort of script rain held off until very near the all aboard time.

Evening took us to The Restaurant for my special meal, the effort was very much appreciated, the meal good, but not especially better than many others we’ve enjoyed, there just wasn’t a lot of room to raise the bar.  We enjoyed superb service from one of our two favorite servers.  A special very rich chocolate dessert was presented, wonderful though just a few bites had me pushing the plate away.

All and all a very magical day.

• Like 10

Stavanger was announced to be another tender port, but lo and behold morning found us alongside the old city, so a walking we will go.  What a lovely place with all manner of (seemingly) local merchants bars and restaurants, an illusion, perhaps as what should appear but McDonalds.  Somehow, with very little effort we steered around to find a local coffee shop instead.  A bit of browsing and a few trinkets later back on board.

Dinner was our second go at Earth and Ocean, perhaps the late sail away or the relatively warm evening or both had every table taken within 5 minutes of opening which is surely stressful for the team.  The meal itself was I think better than the first though we again went a different direction from the crowd ordering the asparagus for our mains when the consensus decision was the lamb shank.  Memories of the lambs baa ing at me yesterday scared me back.

Another lovely day, few remain now, luggage tags arrived today, sigh.

• Like 6

Strange experience this morning.  I had laundry detail, one last load before departure.  As I’ve established I’m an early bird that being the case I hit the machine at the 6:00 opening time, the machine said runtime was 34 minutes, I set my timer for 30 and hit the laundry room door at 6:30.  What do I find but a strange man going through my laundry.  Unsure what to say, I say, “is there something I can help you with”, he obviously startled starts shoving my laundry back in the machine, pushes past me without a word and strides off down the hall.

Obviously THAT load got a second run through.  I can’t in my wildest imagination think I’d ever stop someone’s laundry in progress and start rooting around.

Strange, just strange.

18 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Strange experience this morning.  I had laundry detail, one last load before departure.  As I’ve established I’m an early bird that being the case I hit the machine at the 6:00 opening time, the machine said runtime was 34 minutes, I set my timer for 30 and hit the laundry room door at 6:30.  What do I find but a strange man going through my laundry.  Unsure what to say, I say, “is there something I can help you with”, he obviously startled starts shoving my laundry back in the machine, pushes past me without a word and strides off down the hall.

Obviously THAT load got a second run through.  I can’t in my wildest imagination think I’d ever stop someone’s laundry in progress and start rooting around.

Strange, just strange.

Strange indeed.  I don't blame you for washing it again.  My only foray to the laundry room has been to iron something on our first day.  We've used the ship's laundry service and have been quite satisfied with it.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jondfk said:

Strange, just strange.

Agree, very strange.

I am also an early riser and learner that sign is meaningless (closed from 12am to 6am).  Their “maintenance” takes 15 min.  I usually get to the machines between 5am and 5:30am - never any staff there and I usually get to see the hotel director as his office is directly across the hall.  What irritates me is the number of people who leave their laundry in the dryer overnight (“oh, just put it in and go to dinner - no need to worry about it to the next day”).

Why we take advantage of the crew doing our laundry. If you don't have it included, the $50 a bag is a good deal.  And when you get enough nights you can have them do it every day if that suits you.  That is a definite plus for Regent every one gets included laundry.  

On 6/20/2023 at 10:48 PM, frantic36 said:

Totally agree. I would like to do a TA at some point but with the domination of Thomas Keller on Seabourn we are looking at Regent or Silversea to have more choice of menu. I keep hoping they no longer have a contract with TK.

Indeed Julie,

I am trying to find out how long the contract that Rick Meadows signed with Thomas Keller is.

I remember the Charlie Palmer days that went on far too long.

These contracts work well for those guests that only sail once in a blue moon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I remember the Charlie Palmer days that went on far too long.

I too remember the Charlie Palmer and agree it went on too long. Charlie's menus were fine but if you sailed frequently or long cruises it wasn't so great. It was interesting when the Chefs had that interlude between Palmer and TK to see what they created. 

I hope you have a great cruise. We are sailing as well in August but at the end for Keith's birthday. One day we may get to sail together again. 🙂

Today, sadly is packing day.  We are enjoying a quiet morning on board with a final visit to the Retreat which has been a true joy, I’ll write a separate comment on this provocative product from home in a few days.

We had our first real fail at dinner last night in the Restaurant, very busy, but service was good through the mains.  We ordered dessert and waited, and waitied.  20 minutes went by, we asked, then 30, finally at 40 minutes we gave up and headed out making a comment.  This morning we were greeted with an apology, which is always nice but…. The explanation offered was that the printer for dessert orders failed for several 10s of minutes during which no one found it odd that the full dining room had a sudden disinterest in dessert.  Equipment failures of course do occur, corrections can be challenging, but can’t even be attempted if no one recognizes that something isn’t right.  Okay, enough energy wasted on that.

Overall we’ve had a very enjoyable first experience with Seabourn, I’ll write a more exhaustive final review once home.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I too remember the Charlie Palmer and agree it went on too long. Charlie's menus were fine but if you sailed frequently or long cruises it wasn't so great. It was interesting when the Chefs had that interlude between Palmer and TK to see what they created. 

I hope you have a great cruise. We are sailing as well in August but at the end for Keith's birthday. One day we may get to sail together again. 🙂

That would be lovely Julie

4 hours ago, jondfk said:

Today, sadly is packing day.  We are enjoying a quiet morning on board with a final visit to the Retreat which has been a true joy, I’ll write a separate comment on this provocative product from home in a few days.

We had our first real fail at dinner last night in the Restaurant, very busy, but service was good through the mains.  We ordered dessert and waited, and waitied.  20 minutes went by, we asked, then 30, finally at 40 minutes we gave up and headed out making a comment.  This morning we were greeted with an apology, which is always nice but…. The explanation offered was that the printer for dessert orders failed for several 10s of minutes during which no one found it odd that the full dining room had a sudden disinterest in dessert.  Equipment failures of course do occur, corrections can be challenging, but can’t even be attempted if no one recognizes that something isn’t right.  Okay, enough energy wasted on that.

Overall we’ve had a very enjoyable first experience with Seabourn, I’ll write a more exhaustive final review once home.

Think of the calories that you spared.

• Haha 1