Have it all-beverage card?

Cruise NH

We’re going with a HIA package on our next cruise.  Will we receive some sort of beverage card to show when we order or do you just sign the slip like a normal drink order and just not get charged?

thanks.

33 minutes ago, Roz said:

It's programmed into your room key that you give to the server.  It's been a long time since I've signed a drink slip.

On my last 2 cruises they’ve started that nonsense up again.  I believe you can add an extra tip.  In most cases I feel 18 percent is enough.  I give cash in the very odd instance when it’s not.  I refuse to sign the slip.

9 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

On my last 2 cruises they’ve started that nonsense up again.  I believe you can add an extra tip.  In most cases I feel 18 percent is enough.  I give cash in the very odd instance when it’s not.  I refuse to sign the slip.

That's interesting. I recently took a 31 day cruise and the only place I signed a slip was in the spa.  Having people sign those slips slows down service.  18% tip on each drink is sufficient,  IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roz said:

That's interesting. I recently took a 31 day cruise and the only place I signed a slip was in the spa.  Having people sign those slips slows down service.  18% tip on each drink is sufficient,  IMO.

It’s completely stupid to me.  It started for me on my second week on the koningsdam in November, thanksgiving week.  The only time I’ve ever tipped more was on my last cruise when aha sparkling water in the blueberry pomegranate was in short supply.  The bartender phoned/asked around and found 6 and kept them cold for me ❤️.  I asked around at several bars and came up empty so it’s not as easy as it sounds.  That’s the only time I’ve given an additional tip since the 18 percent came in to existence.

• Like 1

I discussed the slip signing with several servers on the KSDM a few weeks ago. There are a few ships where the percentage of pax claiming they did not purchase drinks are higher than others. Those ships make you sign the slip. This occurs even if you have a beverage package. 

37 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

On Westerdam in Japan we all had to sign slips -- in MDR and specialties, in Ocean Bar, in Pinnacle Bar, Crow's Nest, basically everywhere I had a drink.

I’ve never “had” to sign those slips.  I wish people would stop saying this.  If enough people refuse maybe they’ll stop.  Not once was I ever forced to sign a slip.  I simply say no and no one has ever challenged me on that. I’m not buying the excuse that people are saying they didn’t have the drink. I bet that happens on all ships.  If a few are saying that make them sign the slips then.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve never “had” to sign those slips.  I wish people would stop saying this.  If enough people refuse maybe they’ll stop.  Not once was I ever forced to sign a slip.  I simply say no and no one has ever challenged me on that. I’m not buying the excuse that people are saying they didn’t have the drink. I bet that happens on all ships.  If a few are saying that make them sign the slips then.

When they present me with a slip, I'm not going to make a fuss about it. I assume they want me to comply with their current practices. It's a bit of a bother but I adapted.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Laminator said:

There are a few ships where the percentage of pax claiming they did not purchase drinks are higher than others. Those ships make you sign the slip. This occurs even if you have a beverage package. 

So there's a thin line between Carnival pax and HAL pax?  🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

When they present me with a slip, I'm not going to make a fuss about it. I assume they want me to comply with their current practices. It's a bit of a bother but I adapted.

I didn’t make a fuss whatever that means 🙄.  I didn’t get up on a couch and scream no.  I simple no is all you need to say.  Why make drama out of something when no drama occurred?

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I didn’t make a fuss whatever that means 🙄.  I didn’t get up on a couch and scream no.  I simple no is all you need to say.  Why make drama out f something when no drama occurred?

Goodness, "didn't make a fuss" just an expression. Many people use it. Nuance is lost on some...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

When presented w/the slip, if I didn't want to sign it, I just slid it back over. Never got a "look" or any pushback.

Sign, don't sign - hasn't been an issue for me on Kon, NA, NS or Euro.

If signing becomes mandatory, I'll sign; as long as it's optional, I'll likely not.

Edited by Haljo1935

We were on the Koningsdam in May and for the most part we signed.  Early in the cruise we went to Grand Dutch Cafe and had to sign yet later in the cruise when we went we didn't.  All Speciality dining required signatures.  Almost all beverages required tips until later in the cruise when we grabbed a couple of sodas and didn't require it.

Personally I think it is an attempt to add an extra tip, as the line to add a tip is on every slip.

On the plus side, this was our very first cruise when there weren't any billing errors in our onboard account.  Yay!

We were on the K'dam B2B over last NYE. LOVE the slips. Every third slip or so, I would add a dollar or two additional tip. Gone are the days of sprinting around with five dollar bills on the last day of the cruise trying to find the most helpful bar servers. Made the vacation so much more relaxing. 

• Like 1

Because the beverage packages now allow you to pay the price difference for out of package beverages, the slips are required for any surcharges.  By establishing a practice of slips for all beverage purchases whether in or out of range it means that all surcharges are properly accounted.

You may think it silly--revenue managers and auditors likely don't.

5 hours ago, visagrunt said:

Because the beverage packages now allow you to pay the price difference for out of package beverages, the slips are required for any surcharges.  By establishing a practice of slips for all beverage purchases whether in or out of range it means that all surcharges are properly accounted.

You may think it silly--revenue managers and auditors likely don't.

I don’t think it’s “silly”.  It’s a huge waste of paper when hal claims to be environmentally conscious.  They only seem to be that way if it works to their favour.  They shouldn’t have to produce paper for surcharges.  There have been many, many times when I have not seen a paper slip while dining in a specialty restaurant.