12 Day On Venezia In Feb?

I have an opportunity to sail on the Venezia for 12 days out of NYC in February.  Why I can’t decide:  

Feb from NYC - choppy seas and cold the first few days.

Never cruised more than 7 days.

But the biggest concern is I really don’t know the people asking me to go.  We share a mutual friend and someone in their group needs a cabin mate.  I’m not sure if I would be okay doing this for 12 days.
Maybe I need to leave my little safe space and adventure out?  Any suggestions?

I am on it so definitely you should go, I will bring up the fun level on the sailing 🙂.  More seriously, it is essentially a brand new ship and there is a retractable roof on part of the Lido so that will help with the cold weather traveling up and down.

Are you the type of cruiser who really does not spend much time in the cabin?  For me it would not be much of a problem as I am not in there much other than sleeping.  If that is you, go for it.  Worse case you will not take another long winter cruise from the Northeast with someone you do not know.  It is almost a year from now.  Can you arrange a meeting with the group before then so everyone gets to know each other better before you go?

• Like 1

Id admire someone who would jump at 12 nt sailing with a stranger. 

But...i got put with 3 strangers in dorm 1st year of college.  We were all on our best behavior at the start. Glass half full? 

Worst case you learn to adapt to free time spent outside the cabin and return when roomie is out for a little alone time. 

Who knows might be fun!  

I'll be turning Platinum on that cruise....sailing solo.

Unusual ports on this destination cruise that should be interesting.

I hope you can quickly overcome the cooler weather and a little ship movement, but sailing with someone you don't know is a tough one.  I'm with Cole Thornton.  Even if they were footing the bill, I think it would be a hard "no".

I believe I saw some of those itineraries and they were tempting. In your scenario, I wouldn't do it. For me, one of the biggest buzzkills is cold sea days. Now imagine for a second that its cold and you are confined to the room (or where ever else) with a stranger you don't jive with for 12 days. Godspeed.

I personally don’t mind the cold days BECAUSE the trip is so long. As long as the weather in the Caribbean is nice you’ll still be getting a full cruise worth of warmth. I just think of the cold days as bonus days and enjoy the ship.

As far as rooming with a stranger, only you know your level of tolerance. Think of all the possible worst case scenarios and how much or little they will annoy you. 

First as someone else said, do you spend a lot of time in the room? 

Will it be an inside or a balcony because the space is different?

Do you mind:

Snoring

Messiness

Drunkenness 

Loudness

Flatulence

Strong perfume/cologne 

Slowness (can be an issue sharing a bathroom)

Are you social?

Do you like to sleep in (loudness and having the lights turned on can be annoying)?

Will you mind if the other person comes back to the room in the middle of the night repeatedly?

Do you have an easy time falling back to sleep?

Do you know if the other person is relatively easy to get along with?

Who will handle the money in this booking?

You don’t want to pay your part and then have the other person back out. Make sure to know the terms of your booking rate.

The list goes on and on and some of these things can be a struggle even with a family member but you might be easy going or you might be able to put it all aside to enjoy a vacation.

If you’re an easy going person it might even be easier to accept some things from a stranger than it would from a person who you expect more from.

I’m not sure I could do it. I might be the slow mover and I’m definitely the light sleeper.

• Like 1

I just chatted with the person I would be rooming with.  She booked an interior cabin to save $$.   Did that once and never again because I’m claustrophobic.  

Decision is made to pass on this cruise for many reasons.   

Thank you everyone for responding and bringing up suggestions I did not consider.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyValley3 said:

I just chatted with the person I would be rooming with.  She booked an interior cabin to save $$.   Did that once and never again because I’m claustrophobic.  

Thank you everyone for responding and bringing up suggestions I did not consider.  

I was going to suggest getting together for dinner etc pre-cruise....but you don't need that now.  You made the right decision.  I've had "strange roommates" a few times when I was much younger.  Some good experiences....mostly not too good.   

On 6/4/2023 at 12:55 PM, Joebucks said:

I believe I saw some of those itineraries and they were tempting. In your scenario, I wouldn't do it. For me, one of the biggest buzzkills is cold sea days. Now imagine for a second that its cold and you are confined to the room (or where ever else) with a stranger you don't jive with for 12 days. Godspeed.

Doesn't matter for the purpose of this thread as OP has made her decision, but curious as to why she would be "confined to the room (or wherever else) with a stranger" - it's a huge ship with lots of places to go. So unless they're quarantined, there's no reason to be "confined" anywhere for any length of time.

For a moment, I thought she was being sentenced...

On 6/4/2023 at 6:34 PM, HappyValley3 said:

I was going to say if it is a balcony, who cares, go for it, sleep out their if you have to! But an inside, no way!