Booking a future cruise while onboard

Sujormik

Hi all.  We are possibly interested in a vista cruise in 2024 and I’m wondering if someone can explain how the booking of a future cruise works while onboard.  Are the savings of doing so significant? Do they give you extra perks, OBC, that sort of thing?  What if there’s a sale in the future (cabin upgrades or something else), are you able to take advantage of those? When you book onboard for a year or more out, do you buy trip insurance immediately (for preexisting condition coverages)? Do you get any sort of priority for anything?  

Can you make the booking any time while onboard or do you have to do it the last day or so?

Obviously we’ve never done it and we do like to check out different lines on our limited cruising time/budget but IF it’s worthwhile we’d consider it.

TIA for your advice.

Sit down with the O Club Ambassador as early as possible and book your Vista cruise.  Based on my experience from 3 weeks ago on her, “JUST DO IT”. The longer you wait the more Staterooms are sold. He/She will explain everything and yes there are definite benefits on that cruise and the current one you are on.  
Just Enjoy and know that an On Board Booking is a MUST if you are planning an O cruise.  The $250 pp Deposit is a real benefit too.

Mauibabes

• Thanks 3

Having booked aboard on our first Oceania cruise last month, here is my limited experience...

> Are the savings of doing so significant? Do they give you extra perks, OBC, that sort of thing?

We received OBC.  I understand the amount varies by the length of the cruise you book.  You are also entitled to rebook, once, to another ship/voyage instead later (and before final payment?) as if you had booked aboard.  Once debarked you can transfer the booking to your favourite travel agent within 30 days and pick up any OCCAPP perks they can add (in our case it was freebie gratuities).

> What if there’s a sale in the future (cabin upgrades or something else)

There was mention of a "price match guarantee".  Dunno how that would work with, for example, the recent "4 category upgrade" sale.

> do you buy trip insurance immediately?

You can buy Oceania insurance up to final payment.  We don't, and each 3rd party insurance of course have its own rules.  Dunno how pre-existing condition figure in (our normal health insurance covers worldwide).

> Can you make the booking any time while onboard or do you have to do it the last day or so?

There is a full-time salesman, err, "Oceania Club Ambassador" aboard, check the daily Currents for his hours.  I did hear ours mutter something darkly about "last sea day" -- I'd avoid such.  😉

The benefits of booking onboard are a discount on the booked cruise, OBC that can be used on the current cruise or the new cruise, best price guarantee and you can change the booking one time to any new cruise and the benefits follow.   We always buy trip insurance to cover our deposit at the time of booking for the pre-existing conditions waiver and then increase the coverage when we make final payment.   You can book any time onboard but the longer you wait the longer the line at the Cruise consultant desk......try to go at least several days before end of cruise to avoid the long wait!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, basor said:

...OBC that can be used on the current cruise or the new cruise...

Forgot about that part.  If you use the OBC on the current cruise, they deduct that amount from and return of deposit if you cancel.

Yeah, booking Oceania cruises is harder than rocket science. 

Just now, Snaefell3 said:

Forgot about that part.  If you use the OBC on the current cruise, they deduct that amount from any return-of-deposit if you cancel.

22 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Forgot about that part.  If you use the OBC on the current cruise, they deduct that amount from and return of deposit if you cancel.

That would only make sense if they gave you OBC and you used it on the current cruise and then you cancel the cruise, you should have to "give back" the OBC perk for booking the canceled cruise onboard.  I can't think anyone would think that they should not have to return the OBC they received for booking a cruise on board and then canceled the cruise.   Not rocket science to me ....

6 minutes ago, basor said:

That would only make sense if they gave you OBC and you used it on the current cruise and then you cancel the cruise, you should have to "give back" the OBC perk for booking the canceled cruise onboard.  I can't think anyone would think that they should not have to return the OBC they received for booking a cruise on board and then canceled the cruise.   Not rocket science to me ....

Indeed, and eminently reasonable, but I bet there are surprised folks.

As for the "rocket science" remark?  Never saw a cruise line before with anywhere near the same number of moving parts to their bookings: 2-for-1-but-not-really; Air/NoAir; OLife/NoOLife, which OLife flavour, Ultimate OLife; regular, UPC, and YWC excursions; "combinability" restrictions; ....  😵

13 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

As for the "rocket science" remark?  Never saw a cruise line before with anywhere near the same number of moving parts to their bookings: 2-for-1-but-not-really; Air/NoAir; OLife/NoOLife, which OLife flavour, Ultimate OLife; regular, UPC, and YWC excursions; "combinability" restrictions; ....  😵

Perhaps when “rocket science” produces space cruises, these will be easier to make a completely informed booking decision than presently for an Oceania cruise. 😎

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

Taking Grandchildren on Princess to Alaska - their hoops to jump through make O look like a walk in the park.....on top of that, many things can only be done on their app, which is very glitchy and does not work most of the time.  We are Elite on Princess so not our first cruise with them but our TA and I have spent many days on the phone trying to get things fixed....and still not correct.

31 minutes ago, basor said:

Taking Grandchildren on Princess to Alaska - their hoops to jump through make O look like a walk in the park....

Ack!  Minors but not all their legal guardians?  That's worse than "rocket science"!  It takes lawyers.

::shudder:: 

But that's dot gov, not the cruise line.

17 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Ack!  Minors but not all their legal guardians?  That's worse than "rocket science"!  It takes lawyers.

::shudder:: 

But that's dot gov, not the cruise line.

No they are older teens and young adults, all have traveled internationally a lot and so that is not the issue.  We take them traveling with us often so have all of the necessary notarized papers on file.  It is the basic planning for a cruise - shore excursions, dining , specialties, etc.....you name it and it has been one problem after another.

It is also worth to mention that if you don't know which cruise to book, or waiting for new itineraries to be released, you can get a future cruise certificate with the exact same conditions (the OBC might be a bit smaller, the rest is the same). It's valid for 1 years (have to book within 1 year, not to sail). We got this certificate while on board and will be suing it when 2025 itineraries come out. Our friends did the same.

• Like 2

Make an appointment early in your cruise. The Ambassador will have more free time then.

As for insurance.............with pre-existing conditions you must book within two weeks of paying the deposit. 

What we have done in the past is determine which insurance company we will use before we sail because we have a basic idea of cruise cost, independently booked air and hotel, and a general feel for the cost of excursions after cruising for over 40 years. When we get the cruise booked to our satisfaction we can handle the insurance with our internet minutes and relax and enjoy the remainder of our trip. We do this because we rarely return home on debarkation day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

It is also worth to mention that if you don't know which cruise to book, or waiting for new itineraries to be released, you can get a future cruise certificate with the exact same conditions (the OBC might be a bit smaller, the rest is the same). It's valid for 1 years (have to book within 1 year, not to sail). We got this certificate while on board and will be suing it when 2025 itineraries come out. Our friends did the same.

We have done this several times. The required deposit may be higher than when booking a specific cruise onboard (but no higher than booking when not onboard).

Footnote to 30 day window to transfer to a/your TA - if you want to use the same TA as booked the cruise you are on, you can have them in the new booking record from the start. If you wish to change TAs for the newly booked cruise, tell the O Ambassador to leave the TA unassigned for your new booking. 

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

We have done this several times. The required deposit may be higher than when booking a specific cruise onboard (but no higher than booking when not onboard).

Footnote to 30 day window to transfer to a/your TA - if you want to use the same TA as booked the cruise you are on, you can have them in the new booking record from the start. If you wish to change TAs for the newly booked cruise, tell the O Ambassador to leave the TA unassigned for your new booking. 

Same deposit as booking a specific cruise. We just did it last month.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi just a quick question.  Am from the uk so bought a £500 future cruise certificate last july.  Have just booked a cruise - got the saving on the cabin( oceania reduced the total fare by the apprppriate sum in regard to the lenhgth of the cruise).  When booking .  had to pay £500 deposit for O as a £1000 deposit was required.  My payment to the total fare only shows as the £500 i paid- nothing showing a £500 payment from ocaneia (ie the value of my purchased deposit from O) and the cruise fare has not been reduced by the use of the £500 voucher.  I recall the agent saying this takes between 4 and 6 weeks for the £500 deposit to be credited to my payments.  Anyone else aware of this time frame?  i am concerned the agent has not passed on the value of my certificate,,

1 hour ago, mcleani199 said:

Hi just a quick question. 

I just used a Future Cruise Certificate a couple of weeks ago to book a 2025 cruise.

No further payment was required for the deposit. (15 day cruise; veranda).

The cabin fare reduction showed up immediately via the invoice from 'O'.

PS: We were just up the road a few months ago at the Falkirk Wheel.

Edited by Tranquility Base

15 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

I just used a Future Cruise Certificate a couple of weeks ago to book a 2025 cruise.

No further payment was required for the deposit. (15 day cruise; veranda).

The cabin fare reduction showed up immediately via the invoice from 'O'.

PS: We were just up the road a few months ago at the Falkirk Wheel.

Same here. Booked in October. No further payment beyond the deposit paid on board. 

Hi thanks for the responses, most helpful.  I think i will phone oceania to see whatthey say. i had 1 £500 deposit and apparently i needed to pay £500 for the deposit for the second person, which was fine but i dont see the £500 from the deposit i used being deducted from the crusie fare as a payment.

Hope you liked the falkirk wheel

Thanks again

iain

On 6/8/2023 at 5:10 PM, Sujormik said:

Hi all.  We are possibly interested in a vista cruise in 2024 and I’m wondering if someone can explain how the booking of a future cruise works while onboard.  Are the savings of doing so significant? Do they give you extra perks, OBC, that sort of thing?  What if there’s a sale in the future (cabin upgrades or something else), are you able to take advantage of those? When you book onboard for a year or more out, do you buy trip insurance immediately (for preexisting condition coverages)? Do you get any sort of priority for anything?  

Can you make the booking any time while onboard or do you have to do it the last day or so?

Obviously we’ve never done it and we do like to check out different lines on our limited cruising time/budget but IF it’s worthwhile we’d consider it.

TIA for your advice.

Ok first: do it early! It is amazing how fast Suites & Concierge fill up early. You put down $500. You can use some of it on your current cruise or transfer it to your future on(what we did) On Concierge you should go for the cabin of your choice with the extended balcony. I tried this with the 2 rear PH suites. Unfortunately, they book fast(very large wrap around balcony) We lost out on those but booked one below our Concierge(with extended balcony) Balcony extends quite a bit further than the other PH suites.You also save at least $200 over waiting till you get home.

On 6/8/2023 at 5:50 PM, basor said:

The benefits of booking onboard are a discount on the booked cruise, OBC that can be used on the current cruise or the new cruise, best price guarantee and you can change the booking one time to any new cruise and the benefits follow.   We always buy trip insurance to cover our deposit at the time of booking for the pre-existing conditions waiver and then increase the coverage when we make final payment.   You can book any time onboard but the longer you wait the longer the line at the Cruise consultant desk......try to go at least several days before end of cruise to avoid the long wait!

Wow!  What a great idea! We booked our Aug 2024 cruise onboard in May2022, and I wasn't about to pay for insurance then to get pre-existing coverage.  So the idea of buying only enough for deposit and increasing later is brilliant.  Does it work with all insurers on online trip insurance sites?  We like Nationwide that used to provide pre-existing before final payment, but now they're like all the rest.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

If you book onboard and then refare to a lower price a month before sailing, what happens to the excess fare you have now paid ?

Is it turned into SBC, or can you transfer that excess to another booking ?

Not normally an issue.

Industry custom is to caveat post-Final Payment offers as "new bookings only".

If someone slips up, I would expect any refund to be to the source of original payment: credit card, FCC, or whatever.