When do we apply for Nexus renewal?

Barwick Cruiser

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

There has been a website charge extra money for renewals since the start.

Could you elaborate? We have renewed our NEXUS membership twice, and we've never had to pay any "extra money", just the standard fee. As that set fee is in USD, currency exchange fluctuations might result in a different credit card charge when converted to CAD, but the USD fee has been consistent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

@MamatoJack just curious if you’ve received your new cards yet? We received notification of renewal around the same time as you and still no cards…

Cathy 

I have not yet received them. I assume they will need to be signed for, but haven't gotten anything yet. I still have 5 weeks until we travel so I hope they arrive before then!

17 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

I have not yet received them. I assume they will need to be signed for, but haven't gotten anything yet. I still have 5 weeks until we travel so I hope they arrive before then!

The Nexus renewal is sent by snail mail & does not have to be signed for.  DH applied for his on June 8th & has still not received it, it’s also a 2nd renewal but he has a very common name. I applied last Nov & received mine in July, you receive an acceptance email first.

Edited by If only

11 minutes ago, If only said:

The Nexus renewal is sent by snail mail & does not have to be signed for.  DH applied for his on June 8th & has still not received it, it’s also a 2nd renewal but he has a very common name. I applied last Nov & received mine in July, you receive an acceptance email first.

Yes our acceptance emails came on October 19th, but haven't received the new cards yet. 

23 minutes ago, MamatoJack said:

Yes our acceptance emails came on October 19th, but haven't received the new cards yet. 

I think mine took about 2 weeks after acceptance to arrive, unfortunately you are dependent on Canada Post. 

5 minutes ago, If only said:

I think mine took about 2 weeks after acceptance to arrive, unfortunately you are dependent on Canada Post. 

Lucky you. Our renewal acceptance letters were dated September 13, and we have yet to see our new cards. 

45 minutes ago, MamatoJack said:

IIRC, as your renewal application has been approved, you can continue to use your old card while waiting for the arrival of your new one.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, MamatoJack said:

We don’t travel until January so still time, and yes, we can use the expired cards for now but hopefully the new cards arrive for all of us soon! 

On 11/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, Fouremco said:

Could you elaborate? We have renewed our NEXUS membership twice, and we've never had to pay any "extra money", just the standard fee. As that set fee is in USD, currency exchange fluctuations might result in a different credit card charge when converted to CAD, but the USD fee has been consistent.

I have never paid the fee as I caught on but when I googled for my first renewal I went to a page that had an extra processing fee. Looked official and it still exists. It catches those who don't know any better 

6 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I have never paid the fee as I caught on but when I googled for my first renewal I went to a page that had an extra processing fee. Looked official and it still exists. It catches those who don't know any better 

Ah, now I understand. I was well aware of the 3rd party websites selling visas and the like, but I didn't realize that they existed for NEXUS. 

For the fun of it, I googled "nexus renewal" and the very first link was to a site that will charge you a total of $175.99 USD! That's $50 for the actual renewal fee, plus the website's service charge of $125.99. Wow, the unmitigated gall of some people. 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Ah, now I understand. I was well aware of the 3rd party websites selling visas and the like, but I didn't realize that they existed for NEXUS. 

For the fun of it, I googled "nexus renewal" and the very first link was to a site that will charge you a total of $175.99 USD! That's $50 for the actual renewal fee, plus the website's service charge of $125.99. Wow, the unmitigated gall of some people. 

You see scams on the news on a daily basis, I’m constantly amazed how many people don’t do their due diligence before forking over hard earned money…cringe every time I see Pat Foran come on with another poor victim. If you recognize that name you’ll be watching the same news channel as me 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

38 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

You see scams on the news on a daily basis, I’m constantly amazed how many people don’t do their due diligence before forking over hard earned money…cringe every time I see Pat Foran come on with another poor victim. If you recognize that name you’ll be watching the same news channel as me 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

Yes, it's truly sad to see the number of people, particularly with the elderly, who fall prey to these scams. While there is a marked difference between the illegal scams we see on the evening news and the hustle operated by such companies as the NEXUS renewal website, they exploit a similar segment of society. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 10:54 AM, Fouremco said:

Lucky you. Our renewal acceptance letters were dated September 13, and we have yet to see our new cards. 

IIRC, as your renewal application has been approved, you can continue to use your old card while waiting for the arrival of your new one.

Hi Fouremco,

I was wondering if you've received your Nexus cards yet, we renewal acceptance was a week after yours and we still haven't received them.

Thanks...

2 hours ago, isnowman said:

Hi Fouremco,

I was wondering if you've received your Nexus cards yet, we renewal acceptance was a week after yours and we still haven't received them.

Thanks...

No, still no sign of them. I'll let you know when they arrive.

While going through a bit of an email backlog, I opened a message dated November 21 from the Trusted Traveller Program unit at US CBP telling me that "There has been a recent change to the status of your application" and asking me to "login to the Trusted Traveler Programs Website (https://ttp.dhs.gov) for more information." 

Just to recap, DW and I had applied for renewal on August 9. Then we received correspondence dated September 13 stating "We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), NEXUS program membership has been approved." Given this approval over two months ago, we've been waiting patiently for our cards to arrive.

Naturally, the notice this week saying that our status had changed was a bit worrisome, and I immediately logged in to determine what the change was. Had they cancelled the approval? Had they decided that one or both of us now required an interview? No, instead it was a new notification dated November 21 that my applications had been approved. 

Why they would notify us of the approval, having already done some 10 weeks earlier, is somewhat of a puzzle. Of note, however, is the fact that the initial notification letter had the signature block of the "Director, Trusted Traveler Programs, U. S. Customs and Border Protection" but had the Ottawa Airport address of the CBP. So, did it take 10 weeks for this approval to make its way into the TTP website, or was there some other reason for the second approval notification?

I also wonder if the creation and eventual delivery of our new cards was triggered by the initial approval, or were the cards only ordered once the approval was entered on the website. With our next travel starting 2 months from today, it will be interesting to see whether we'll still be using our old cards.

• Like 1

November 30, and both of our new cards arrived in today's mail. That's just 9 days following the second announcement of renewal approvals.

Quite frankly, we were lucky that the cards even made it at all, as neither envelope was sealed and it would have been quite easy for the contents to have slipped out while they were in transit. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

• Like 1

We applied for our Nexus renewal in early July, and they were approved at the end of October (4 months).  They mailed the cards, and it took a month for them to make it to our mailbox.  It wasn't a fast process, but they eventually made it.  Just a note, to make sure that you "Activate" your card once you receive it.  

Edited by hova

19 hours ago, Fouremco said:

November 30, and both of our new cards arrived in today's mail. That's just 9 days following the second announcement of renewal approvals.

Quite frankly, we were lucky that the cards even made it at all, as neither envelope was sealed and it would have been quite easy for the contents to have slipped out while they were in transit. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Thanks for the update, hopefully we'll see ours in the upcoming week.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Yes, thank you @Fouremco, we’ll be watching our mail as well although we haven’t received a second approval confirmation.
Don't know why they don’t get Amazon to do the deliveries…would’ve had it the next day 🤣🤣

Cathy 

Make sure you did not get mail same day requesting an interview.  My DH received a Conditional Approval in Nov but on re-reading the mail received at the same time, it appears he has to have an interview.  So off to the airport we go on Monday.  At least we don’t have to wait a long time for interview.

Edited by If only

Monday, my DH had his appt at the airport which was great but that is not the end of it.  You have to have your US CBP interview same day as your next flight you cannot make an appointment, this would be fine but our flight in January is at 6:15am  & US Customs does not open until 4;30am.  If there are a few people ahead of you doing the same it could create problems for your flight..  The good news is he has until next year to renew his card so worst case would be to drive to Buffalo.   When you get your new card don’t forget to activate it on the Govt site or it will show not activated to the US CBP.

On 12/5/2023 at 3:50 PM, If only said:

Monday, my DH had his appt at the airport which was great but that is not the end of it.  You have to have your US CBP interview same day as your next flight you cannot make an appointment, this would be fine but our flight in January is at 6:15am  & US Customs does not open until 4;30am.  If there are a few people ahead of you doing the same it could create problems for your flight..  The good news is he has until next year to renew his card so worst case would be to drive to Buffalo.   When you get your new card don’t forget to activate it on the Govt site or it will show not activated to the US CBP.

Actually we found out that if you do your CDN CBP interview at the airport, you have to do your US CBP interview at the airport leaving on a flight to the US same day.   No driving to the border to get it done, not allowed.

Edited by If only

On 11/26/2023 at 12:30 PM, Fouremco said:

Of note, however, is the fact that the initial notification letter had the signature block of the "Director, Trusted Traveler Programs, U. S. Customs and Border Protection" but had the Ottawa Airport address of the CBP. 

This email will typically show the address of the last enrollment centre you interacted or interviewed with, even if that was 5 or 10 years ago.

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 1

Starting to get a little nervous. Back on October 12th both my wife and myself received notice that our NEXUS renewal was approved with no interview required. Unfortunately we have not received our renewal cards in the mail, now into our 10th week. Trying to get in touch with someone in the U.S. will be next to impossible, my only option would be to apply for a lost card, and pay the $25 fee. Has anyone who received their new card waited this long for it to be delivered, appreciate any information.

Merry Christmas to all....