When do we apply for Nexus renewal?

Barwick Cruiser

1 hour ago, Greg8 said:

Unforunetly its shows my currect membership as Expired with a Red header and it then shows my Renewal as Pending with a Brown header

I think somewhere on the left hand panel, mine said that the card would continue to work until the new one was issued.  It was not a prominent message.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 2:40 PM, Greg8 said:

I missed renewing my NEXUS card on time, and I renewed it a couple of months after it had expired.

Anyone else have experience of how long I am looking at to get my new card, and will I need to do an interview?

Thanks in adavnce!

Update.

Somehow I got lucky as I received my NEXUS approval email today. It only took 5 weeks, and no new interview required.

The letter says I need to wait to receive my new card and then activate it.

The NEXUS card number is the same as my old expired card, so I will try and use the old card at the airport as we go on our cruise in 5 1/2 weeks, as most people are reporting it takes a few months to recieve the new card.

1 hour ago, Greg8 said:

Update.

Somehow I got lucky as I received my NEXUS approval email today. It only took 5 weeks, and no new interview required.

The NEXUS card number is the same as my old expired card, so I will try and use the old card at the airport as we go on our cruise in 5 1/2 weeks, as most people are reporting it takes a few months to recieve the new card.

You should be perfectly fine, as they seem to have a LOT of built-in leeway on the use of the old card while your application is processed.  Even though my latest card only expires in August 2025, I was looking at the USCBP website on renewals, (to confirm the one year rule for renewals) and regarding the use of the old card, they say:

If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 24 months after your membership expiration date

• Like 2

A couple of times my NEXUS renewal was approved and the card sent to my house while I was out of the country.  Never had a problem using the old card upon reentry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

A couple of times my NEXUS renewal was approved and the card sent to my house while I was out of the country.  Never had a problem using the old card upon reentry.

That is because you have to activate the new card for it to be valid, which would be what deactivates the old one.

Finally received my renewed card after much hassle and expense. Hubby and I received approval back in October and were patiently (at first) waiting for our new cards in the mail. We left for a trip to NZ in January and our expired cards worked fine. We absolutely expected our new cards to arrive before we returned home mid Feb however not 🤔. I contacted border services thru the trusted travellers website and they advised that we would need to apply for replacement cards as they couldn’t explain why we never received our cards. So there’s another $25US on top of the initial $50US we’d already spent 😠   I received my new card the next week and activated it easily. Hubby is still having issues trying to get a replacement card…seems to be no link on his account page on the website. He’s in the midst of communications to try and sort this mess. I’m still trying to wrap my head around how both of our initial cards didn’t find our mailbox (yes, checked and rechecked address multiple times) and not wanting to believe it’s some kind of scam to procure more money but 🤷‍♀️. We don’t travel until May so worst case hubby can still use his expired card. 

On 3/9/2024 at 11:39 AM, Barwick Cruiser said:

Finally received my renewed card after much hassle and expense. Hubby and I received approval back in October and were patiently (at first) waiting for our new cards in the mail. We left for a trip to NZ in January and our expired cards worked fine. We absolutely expected our new cards to arrive before we returned home mid Feb however not 🤔. I contacted border services thru the trusted travellers website and they advised that we would need to apply for replacement cards as they couldn’t explain why we never received our cards. So there’s another $25US on top of the initial $50US we’d already spent 😠   I received my new card the next week and activated it easily. Hubby is still having issues trying to get a replacement card…seems to be no link on his account page on the website. He’s in the midst of communications to try and sort this mess. I’m still trying to wrap my head around how both of our initial cards didn’t find our mailbox (yes, checked and rechecked address multiple times) and not wanting to believe it’s some kind of scam to procure more money but 🤷‍♀️. We don’t travel until May so worst case hubby can still use his expired card. 

So sorry to hear about not only the delay, but also the extra expense in getting your cards. I was wondering if you used the phone number I had posted earlier, or just used the email address on the Nexus website. I had tried using the email address first, but it seemed to give me only auto generated answers from the frequently asked questions ( one of which said use the lost card prompt and pay $25 ). When I called the number the agent was able to get into our account, confirm that we had been approved for the renewal and that the cards DEFINITELY had not been mailed. They put in a request to have them mailed, arrived about 3 weeks later. 

This doesn't help you now but might help someone else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked my TTP Dashboard and my renewal was approved, no interview required. So 10 weeks and a day for the approval.

Let's see how long the card takes to get here. I don't travel until August, and my current card does not expire until EOY (December baby) so I can afford to be patient.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:12 AM, Greg8 said:

Update.

Upaded

I received my new NEXUS card in the mail today, It only took 16 days from my approval date! So very quick! They must have hired more staff as the whole process for me was much faster than what other posters on here experienced!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Let me share my current ongoing experience with the Nexus renewal process to show how varied one's experience can be.  Two people same household renewing ... I submitted online for both the same day literally one after the other.  Neither had any changes (ie address) within the five years so I anticipated and hoped no interview required.

Applicant 1 & 2 application date:  Jan 4, 2024

Applicant 1: Still pending review (March 22 as I write this).

Applicant 2:  Approval notification March 1, 2024 (no interview required)

Applicant 2:  Card received in mail March 8, 2024 😲

Interesting that the one I submitted first is the one still pending; clearly it's so random you can't rely on any experiences reported by others.

I have nothing booked so I'm not anxiously awaiting a new card so it's more interesting observation of processing times.  I'm also good knowing the current card is good until the new one is processed.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, poffles said:

Interesting that the one I submitted first is the one still pending; clearly it's so random you can't rely on any experiences reported by others.

I think the time for approval is indeed dependent on the case officer assigned to the application. But still, it is good to see what everyone's experiences are, because it at least gives people an expectation as to how long the process takes.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, poffles said:

Let me share my current ongoing experience with the Nexus renewal process to show how varied one's experience can be.  Two people same household renewing ... I submitted online for both the same day literally one after the other.  Neither had any changes (ie address) within the five years so I anticipated and hoped no interview required.

Applicant 1 & 2 application date:  Jan 4, 2024

Applicant 1: Still pending review (March 22 as I write this).

Applicant 2:  Approval notification March 1, 2024 (no interview required)

Applicant 2:  Card received in mail March 8, 2024 😲

I have nothing booked so I'm not anxiously awaiting a new card so it's more interesting observation of processing times.  I'm also good knowing the current card is good until the new one is processed.

Our experience was similar - both of us in the same house, married.

One approved online and card mailed within weeks.

ME - long delay, interview required on both sides of the border.

I have extensive global travel for work and personal - exceptionally more than my husband - and I was shocked that with my travel history I was made to go to interview.  Perhaps it is the extensive travel that brought me into question?

Go figure.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Perhaps it is the extensive travel that brought me into question?

Probably, especially if the travel included countries that concern security agencies, (most of the world 🙂).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, MamatoJack said:

A bit of an older thread but thought I'd update, I applied for my son and I, renewals, in mid-June and just got notified we are both approved, no interviews or new pictures. I assume the new cards are in the mail or something, but good for another 5 years! Kiddo was only 7 or so in the last one, and he is 13 now so looks quite different. I am happy to get them renewed before our December trip though! Good timing. So it was about 4 months for the renewal in case anyone is waiting or wondering. 

We finally got our new passes last week. We travelled twice with the expired ones. I believe there was an issue with renewals in the fall. I was very surprised to finally get them, I had planned to call in another week if they didn't show up. Now, of course, we have no trips planned. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

We finally got our new passes last week. We travelled twice with the expired ones. I believe there was an issue with renewals in the fall. I was very surprised to finally get them, I had planned to call in another week if they didn't show up. Now, of course, we have no trips planned. 

But a good thing that Nexus allows the use of the existing / expired card until the replacement arrives.  You are set now to go whenever...

My renewal was pandemic related but I was over 2 years travelling on the expired card and no issue anytime.

10 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

The issue seems to have extended past the fall, my renewal was submitted in Jan (2024) and almost 4 months later still 'Pending Approval' while the other person I submitted the same day (posted earlier) was approved and card received in two months. Good to hear of others with such varied experiences, almost seems like submissions hit different agent offices and luck of the draw what you get.

Oh well it's all good since the current one will not expire in the interim.  Meanwhile I am easily entertained by the process  😏

15 hours ago, poffles said:

The issue seems to have extended past the fall, my renewal was submitted in Jan (2024) and almost 4 months later still 'Pending Approval' while the other person I submitted the same day (posted earlier) was approved and card received in two months. Good to hear of others with such varied experiences, almost seems like submissions hit different agent offices and luck of the draw what you get.

Oh well it's all good since the current one will not expire in the interim.  Meanwhile I am easily entertained by the process  😏

Even wider spread here - I applied last September, my wife didn't get around to hers until November, her card appeared in the mail this Jan without even getting an email that she'd been approved (same thing happened to me 5 years before), but my case hasn't progressed beyond Pending Review.

Technically my current card remains valid until this July so I'm not concerned yet, just growing more annoyed at the difference - especially given neither of us has traveled to the US or anywhere else without each other within the last 5 years; same age, same foreign country of birth, even identical Canadian citizenship date; aside from gender and appearance we're virtually identical in everything that we have to put on the renewal form!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martincath said:

Even wider spread here - I applied last September, my wife didn't get around to hers until November, her card appeared in the mail this Jan without even getting an email that she'd been approved (same thing happened to me 5 years before), but my case hasn't progressed beyond Pending Review.

Technically my current card remains valid until this July so I'm not concerned yet, just growing more annoyed at the difference - especially given neither of us has traveled to the US or anywhere else without each other within the last 5 years; same age, same foreign country of birth, even identical Canadian citizenship date; aside from gender and appearance we're virtually identical in everything that we have to put on the renewal form!!!

My husband and I keep passports and Nexus cards with the same expiry - or used to.

We both applied at the same time.  He got approved online and the card arrived promptly in the mail.  I was called for interview that then got postponed for over two years because of Covid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, latebuyer said:

My sister had hers revoked for forgetting to declare beer that was in the car. She had hers reinstated but i’m not sure of timeline-maybe a year?

The key is to declare.

To me an often mis-understood part of bringing beer, wine, or spirits into Canada is "limits".  The limits that are imposed - such as One bottle of spirits of whatever size - is what you can bring in duty free.

Now perhaps I am completely wrong with this but when I arrive back to Pearson airport and go through the Nexus line, I am only declaring that I have nothing above my limit.  So if I only have one bottle of spirits and it's size meets the allowed volume, then I do not need to declare. 

My understanding is that I only need to make a declaration if for instance duty free have a sale and I decide to bring 3 bottles then I have to say that I am over my limit and declare the additional.

In my understanding there is no top limit to what I can bring in as long as I actually declare what is above my personal limit for the length of the trip and be ready to pay the duty.

So the question begs to be asked, did your sister have more than her allowance for beer in the car?

Please set me straight here if I am not understanding this, otherwise I have defrauded my declaration at the Nexus Kiosk and then face-to-face each time I have returned to Canada when I have been brining in what is in or under my limit.

18 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

The key is to declare.

To me an often mis-understood part of bringing beer, wine, or spirits into Canada is "limits".  The limits that are imposed - such as One bottle of spirits of whatever size - is what you can bring in duty free.

Now perhaps I am completely wrong with this but when I arrive back to Pearson airport and go through the Nexus line, I am only declaring that I have nothing above my limit.  So if I only have one bottle of spirits and it's size meets the allowed volume, then I do not need to declare. 

My understanding is that I only need to make a declaration if for instance duty free have a sale and I decide to bring 3 bottles then I have to say that I am over my limit and declare the additional.

In my understanding there is no top limit to what I can bring in as long as I actually declare what is above my personal limit for the length of the trip and be ready to pay the duty.

So the question begs to be asked, did your sister have more than her allowance for beer in the car?

Please set me straight here if I am not understanding this, otherwise I have defrauded my declaration at the Nexus Kiosk and then face-to-face each time I have returned to Canada when I have been brining in what is in or under my limit.

This certainly is my understanding as well, and my first thought when I read that post was whether the sister had failed to declare something that was beyond their allowance. We've been NEXUS holders since program inception and rarely, if ever, exceed our allowance, but if we do, we certainly make a point of declaring any overages. We are not about to jeopardize such an important privilege as NEXUS over a triviality. If we come back home and are within our allowance, for example, 1.14 liters of alcohol after a 7 day trip, we don't bother to declare.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The key is to declare.

During my interview I was given a scenario where if I'm asked (by Nexus) if I'm bringing any food with me across the border I need to be sure I answer correctly.  I asked, sincerely, would gum count as that is usually the only thing i might have and he said (without a smile) if you can eat it then it's food, he was telling me gum counts.  He said it matters not if the food or whatever item is allowed, the question as asked needs to be answered for what it is, otherwise it can be viewed as not disclosing and it can be grounds to revoke Nexis.  

This might be extreme example but it certainly put it into perspective.  Since then I either never take gum with me and just buy at the gate or I am sure to tell them (even if they do a little chuckle about my answer.)

Edited by poffles