When do we apply for Nexus renewal?

Barwick Cruiser

23 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Our credit card was charged about three weeks ago, haven’t heard anything else. No news is good news?

Our credit card was charged back in February. We heard nothing more until our approval notice a few weeks ago (a wait of about 4 months). The only evidence that our application was active was the "pending approval" status on their website. So yes, "no news is good news".

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, burnabyjean said:

Our credit card was charged back in February. We heard nothing more until our approval notice a few weeks ago (a wait of about 4 months). The only evidence that our application was active was the "pending approval" status on their website. So yes, "no news is good news".

Sorry, no news could also be bad news. People that are told they require interviews aren’t told that immediately. So no news is nothing more than no news. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Sorry, no news could also be bad news. People that are told they require interviews aren’t told that immediately. So no news is nothing more than no news. 

I should add that I was checking my account at least weekly, so I would have seen if an interview was required, even if they hadn't contacted me.

After i made my appointment online i received a confirmation from the centre i made the appointment at. Luckily after i made the appointment i received an email saying my renewal application had been approved and i no longer needed to attend the appointment. It was automatically cancelled and i received my Nexus card a couple of weeks later. Saved a 4 hour drive each way and a hotel stay. Yahoooo!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note of warning from our experience in renewing this week.

When my wife went to renew her NEXUS this week, the the top website she was referred to by Google, looked totally legitimate but wanted $125 processing fee.  We knew this wasn't correct and looked at the URL - https://nexus-card.com/renew-your-nexus-card.php?gclid=CjwKCAjw8symBhAqEiwAaTA__PG0mUf5YKASY6hP68oy9lhhcHSoCAiOOTp2EO-GYrNQ6h_fG-f-9BoCk0oQAvD_BwE

You should be going to https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov which is the real site.

Not saying the other site is a scam, but I certainly wouldn't want some third party to have all my personal information, nor pay them so that they can forward my application to DHS.

At the very bottom of their page they do have a disclaimer, but who reads that far.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RLK33853 said:

When my wife went to renew her NEXUS this week, the the top website she was referred to by Google, looked totally legitimate but wanted $125 processing fee.  We knew this wasn't correct and looked at the URL - https://nexus-card.com/renew-your-nexus-card.php?gclid=CjwKCAjw8symBhAqEiwAaTA__PG0mUf5YKASY6hP68oy9lhhcHSoCAiOOTp2EO-GYrNQ6h_fG-f-9BoCk0oQAvD_BwE

Not saying the other site is a scam, but I certainly wouldn't want some third party to have all my personal information, nor pay them so that they can forward my application to DHS.

At the very bottom of their page they do have a disclaimer, but who reads that far.

Yes, this is yet another variation of the many websites that will acquire your visas or other travel authorizations on your behalf. At an additional cost, of course. 

If you search using Google, an indicator that the site is a commercial website and not a government one is the Sponsored label.

Screenshot2023-08-09at10_29_09AM.thumb.png.747fea23ea55084ecd65a26cf72bddd8.png

BTW, thanks for the reminder. I wanted to renew our NEXUS cards this week, and I'll get to it as soon as I submit this post. 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

This sort of experience is becoming quite common for numerous government online applications. Checking a web page URL (address) to verify its source is prudent.

Most countries use a reserved domain or sub-domain for official government sites. The US, for example use .gov. Any web site URL ending in .gov is a US government website. Canada uses .gc.ca and .canada.ca. The UK uses .gov.uk. Australia, .gov.au. New Zealand, .govt.nz.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Good reminder and good warning to all.

As Fouremco says, this is one of the sites that may do the job for you but at a premium cost.

This is why I have bookmarked what I call the "GOES" site because that word is in CAPS somewhere in the long URL, and that is the site that I go to...

This is also why I spend a lot of time when travelling to a country that requires a Visa for a Canadian to enter, looking for the countries government site that is legit.  I start at the Canadian government site and then look for the country specific site.  Lots of sites out there, especially for Visas and ETA's that will take your money and do it for you, but at premium cost.  Worst case scenario is that it is a fraudulent site that takes your money, and your information and you get to your destination and your Visa is not valid. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:13 PM, Barwick Cruiser said:

Should we begin renewal applications now or wait? How long is turnaround? Anyone have any recent experience receiving new cards post Covid?

NEXUS staff at Pearson confirmed to me today that

- renewal applications can and should be submitted 364 days before the expiry date (and can't be submitted earlier than that),

- the processing backlog for a new card (not a renewal) is now at 18-20 months

- renewal cards can also take up to 18 months to issue

- in the case of processing delays, the use of an expired card would be extended until the new card is issued

The folks on this board may already know all of this, but in case some don't, hope this is of help.

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 3

Perhaps this is only my experience, but why are wait times that long for renewal?

In the 4-5 times I have flown through Pearson in the last year, there are no lines at Nexus/Global Entry at all.  In fact in my last flight connecting through LA to Sydney, I was the ONLY person in the Global Entry line with my Nexus card.  Actually, there was no line.  I just walked straight to the machine and straight to the agent.

Who are and where are all these people that are clogging up the renewal process?  They are not travelling that I can see...  LOL

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Perhaps this is only my experience, but why are wait times that long for renewal?

While there are additional steps required for processing initial applicants, much of their vetting and that of renewal applicants is handled by the same limited human resources within CBP/CBSA. And CBP/CBSA are in turn dependant upon the resources of other departments and agencies for much of their record checking. They too are often swamped with requests from multiple other departments and agencies.

CBSA conducts records checks on a number of different federal databases, including the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC), the Integrated Customs Enforcement System (ICES),  the Interdiction and Border Alert System (IBAS). When there is cause, they will also check the US National Crime Information Center (NCIC). With CPIC, the RCMP's timeframe for processing electronically submitted fingerprints if there is a possible match to a criminal record is 120 business days. In some cases, more time may be required due to the submission of incomplete information or in an effort to clarify parts of the application with local police.

I've no idea how many new or renewing applicants are rejected by CBP and CBSA, but I know how things can be delayed with any form of screening, even if the person is entirely faultless. For a good number of years, I volunteered with organizations that were required to screen volunteers who would be working with children or other vulnerable persons. This entailed submitting a form to the Ottawa Police Service for a records check, with a slow turn around at the best of times due to the sheer volume received by the OPS. In my case, the records check raised a flag each time, and I would eventually be called in for a fingerprint check. My best guess is that someone withe a similar name or other identifiers had a criminal record, so the fingerprint checks were needed to ensure that I wasn't the person in question. So on top of the already slow initial turnaround time, it took the OPS a few extra weeks to process my application and give me a thumbs up.

Given the huge backlog of both applications and renewals, and the nature of the vetting system, it really isn't surprising that we continue to experience delays. As those with renewals underway can continue to use their existing cards, even after their expiry date, I've no idea why you've seen so few fellow travellers in the fast lanes. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

What  @Fouremco  said,  plus... the NEXUS cards aren't processed or administered in Canada, but in the US by Department of Homeland Security.  And US gov't bureaucracy isn't known for efficiency. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 2

Renewals (and new applications) are kind of like playing an elaborate game of roulette. Sometimes you get approved in a few days, sometimes in a few weeks, sometimes you wait 18 months, sometimes you need an interview, sometimes you don't, sometimes they say you do but then say actually you don't.... etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I applied for our renewals mid-June, should have done it sooner. I am assuming kiddo will require an appointment since I think he was 8 last time and he's 13 now, looks quite different. We are travelling in December and I do hope we'll be able to use the cards even though his expires right before we go, assuming they allow it to be used since we applied for the renewals. 

On 8/15/2023 at 9:15 PM, MamatoJack said:

I applied for our renewals mid-June, should have done it sooner. I am assuming kiddo will require an appointment since I think he was 8 last time and he's 13 now, looks quite different. We are travelling in December and I do hope we'll be able to use the cards even though his expires right before we go, assuming they allow it to be used since we applied for the renewals. 

Because of the backlog in applications and renewals, they’re allowing you to use your current card, even if expired, so long as you’ve initiated the renewals process. You should all be fine. We’re currently waiting for renewals on our cards which don’t expire until next May but will def be using them in January and May when we travel down under (NZ) and to Europe whether renewed or not. We’re just hoping we won’t need to do interviews again 🤞

• Like 1

Received my Nexus renewal Card today - Aug 24.  I applied for renewal June 6 and was notified Aug 14 as approved.  Surprised the turn around was so fast.

My husband had applied in Jan and received his card middle of July.  He was allowed to use his Nexus Card until the new one arrived.  

• Like 1

I know this thread is about renewals.  For others reading here, I just spoke with CBSA about making a new (initial) application. Told that applications aren't handled in chronological order by US Homeland Security. Worst-case scenario is 20-22 months before application could be pulled, then step 2 would be set up an interview.

Good luck with your renewals.

• 2 weeks later...

Not renewal related but After 3 1/2 years of waiting we finally got our Nexus cards. We applied February 2020 and approved beginning of March. Immediately set up our interviews at our nearby airport. Then some stuff happened.....multiple opened then cancelled interviews. Then the delay because of closed offices. When they finally introduced the new interview process it seemed to risky to rely on doing the interview at the airport when travelling to the states. So we booked an appointment this summer, packed up the kids, and travelled to Sweetgrass enrollment center (about 8-9hrs from home). Did our interview for the family and cheered when it was done. 

Our application changed to approved next day and we got our cards in the mail about 1 week later. So glad this is finally done. Our kids are 9 and 11 I'm sure we are going to have to make an appointment for their renewal but hopefully by that time they'll have figured out the airport situation and we can just do it there. If not, we will make the trek again!

• 1 month later...

A bit of an older thread but thought I'd update, I applied for my son and I, renewals, in mid-June and just got notified we are both approved, no interviews or new pictures. I assume the new cards are in the mail or something, but good for another 5 years! Kiddo was only 7 or so in the last one, and he is 13 now so looks quite different. I am happy to get them renewed before our December trip though! Good timing. So it was about 4 months for the renewal in case anyone is waiting or wondering. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

A bit of an older thread but thought I'd update, I applied for my son and I, renewals, in mid-June and just got notified we are both approved, no interviews or new pictures. I assume the new cards are in the mail or something, but good for another 5 years! Kiddo was only 7 or so in the last one, and he is 13 now so looks quite different. I am happy to get them renewed before our December trip though! Good timing. So it was about 4 months for the renewal in case anyone is waiting or wondering. 

I just checked my application (again) and thought I'd applied much sooner than when I did.  June is when they processed my payment so hoping mine is going to be approved soon.  Last time it showed up in the mail no interview needed, but I think that was my 3rd renewal.

Too funny, we renewed in June as well and just this week received notice that we’d been approved. Also waiting for the new cards to arrive in the mail! My sister applied earlier in the year, new application, and was told could be up to 18 months to hear anything. Hopefully it’s sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, MamatoJack said:

@MamatoJack just curious if you’ve received your new cards yet? We received notification of renewal around the same time as you and still no cards…

Cathy 

There has been a website charge extra money for renewals since the start. 

My husbands card expired early May as I forgot to apply for renewal. Had to apply as new card late May and we has his 'new' card in August with same account #. Very happy!