When do we apply for Nexus renewal?

Barwick Cruiser

Do it with the most time you can because IF one of you has to have an in-person interview - like I do - then you can only do it at a drive through US CAN border, or you must arrange an interview at the Canadian side and then do the US interview same day or after when flying into the USA.

Because I could not organize my Canadian interview before my last flight to the USA, I have to go to Buffalo drive over border and do both there.  You must have an appointment for the Canadian interview and then you drive over and just present to the USA side.

Total pain in the backside.

Don't assume that you won't have to do an interview.  My husband and I renewed at the same time and he got automatic renewal and I was put on hold until an interview happens.

Thank you both for your replies. We’ll def get on it asap. Fortunately we live close to a border at Gananoque and can book interviews there if needed. When we originally applied we had to drive from Barrie to Ft. Erie to get a reasonably timed appointment as Pearson was quite backed up…and that was prior to Covid!

Just an update: My husband and I applied for renewal on February 6 and just received notice that we've been approved, with no interview required. Just over four months, which doesn't seem too bad, given what we were told to expect.

Edited by burnabyjean
added word
  • Thanks 1

That’s good news @burnabyjean, I did read when we did the application that as long as your application has been received for renewal that you continue to retain the perks of the original Nexus. We don’t leave the country until January so I’m hoping we hear before then otherwise we’ll just take a copy of our application as proof. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

That’s good news @burnabyjean, I did read when we did the application that as long as your application has been received for renewal that you continue to retain the perks of the original Nexus. We don’t leave the country until January so I’m hoping we hear before then otherwise we’ll just take a copy of our application as proof. 

My Nexus expired over 2 years ago, but because I had applied for renewal well before my card expired, Nexus has honoured my card since and still continues to.  We have come back to Canada several times in the last year under work and personal travel and each time I take the Nexus line at Canadian immigration.

I also recently flew home through SFO and had to collect and recheck luggage before my flight to YYZ and took the Global Entry line (which was next to empty and the general line was 100 people) and I was sent right through no issue.

So, Yes, you will still have your benefits even if your card expires as long as you have the process started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/14/2023 at 7:15 PM, burnabyjean said:

Just an update: My husband and I applied for renewal on February 6 and just received notice that we've been approved, with no interview required. Just over four months, which doesn't seem too bad, given what we were told to expect.

I applied for my renewal a week after you did, so fingers crossed the card is in the mail soon. 

On 6/9/2023 at 9:41 PM, burnabyjean said:

It used to be six months before your current expiration, but with the backlog they've changed it to one year. We applied February 6 this year and are still in the "pending review" stage. I would get on it ASAP!

I always thought 6 months was the recommendation, because last renewal cycle (2019 for me, 2021 for everyone else) I did it at the beginning of the year (everyone in the household has a birthday towards year-end). 

But would agree that you do it as soon as you can. 

Edited by starvenger

1 hour ago, CoW mAn said:

90 days prior to expiry is what I saw on the website

Directly from the Customs and Border Protection website: "CBP and CBSA are asking the NEXUS members begin their application renewal 364 days prior to their membership expiration date." I would definitely NOT wait until 90 days ahead. Ours took just over 4 months, and we didn't need an interview. The earliest interview time for us, had it been needed, was October 3rd.

Mine expires in December’23 and I received an email from them last week advising me to renew now.  My last renewal did not require an interview hoping that has not changed.  IIRC they have extended the grace period to 12 from 6 months for those that have sent in their renewal application.

I applied for my renewal in 2020 and then the world blew up. I believe, they are quite backed up and i finally received my renewed card about a month ago. Fortunately i didn't have to do an interview though up until i got the email notice of approval it was still showing as having to book an interview. That meant a 4 hour trip each way to an interview in Washington State which i had booked for this summer.  So glad i don't have to do that now. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 7:26 PM, Barwick Cruiser said:

If your card has expired you will not be allowed to use it.  DH was flying to Edmonton from Toronto and tried to use his card.  It was expired but his new card had not arrived yet (it was approved).  They wouldn't let him use it so he had to use his driver's licence because his passport was at home.

That makes sense if you’re relying on your nexus card solely as a form of ID…we always use our passports or photo ID and rely on the nexus card solely for quick entry thru customs lines. For this purpose the expired card with proof of renewal application, done prior to expiry, is acceptable. Glad your DH had his DL with him!

17 hours ago, sabookkeeper said:

If your card has expired you will not be allowed to use it.  DH was flying to Edmonton from Toronto and tried to use his card.  It was expired but his new card had not arrived yet (it was approved).  They wouldn't let him use it so he had to use his driver's licence because his passport was at home.

Unfortunate but it's a good reminder for us to bring a passport if you're getting close to expiry or you're in that limbo zone of being approved but waiting for the new card.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no disadvantage to applying for renewal as soon as you are permitted to (1 year before expiry at the moment), you get the same 5 year extension regardless of when you get approved. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cmich068 said:

There's no disadvantage to applying for renewal as soon as you are permitted to (1 year before expiry at the moment), you get the same 5 year extension regardless of when you get approved. 

FWIW, Post # 13 above states that  both the CPB and CBSA are asking folks to begin their renewal process 364 days in advance. Don't know how current that it, or whether it is still the official gvt guidance on the subject

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

FWIW, Post # 13 above states that  both the CPB and CBSA are asking folks to begin their renewal process 364 days in advance. Don't know how current that it, or whether it is still the official gvt guidance on the subject

They continue to make this request:

CBP and CBSA are asking the NEXUS members begin their application renewal 364 days prior to their membership expiration date. 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/renew-nexus#:~:text=CBP and CBSA are asking,to their membership expiration date.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Our credit card was charged about three weeks ago, haven’t heard anything else. No news is good news?

Sorry, not necessarily. My credit card was charged immediately; before anyone/anything could have looked at it.