Help, Vancouver, hubs has must attend Zoom meeting

15 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Just a little curious about this thread. If I understand correctly, the husband must be on scheduled vacation from his employment for you to be considering this cruise and for his employer to spring a “mandatory zoom meeting” on him when on vacation, when a cruise is being considered. And, if I understand correctly, you have yet to book this cruise, but are just considering it. If something has come up, on an emergency basis, from the husband’s employment, that might conflict with the disembarkation, I wouldn’t book if the internet connection is involved. We have no luck in doing things like that once we disembark Regent. In fact, internet is rather spotty on a Regent (or any other) cruise ship. If the zoom meeting is an “emergency” in your husbands position, and if he has vacation time which includes the disembarkation date, I wouldn’t book.  But if husband has vacation time through that date and the zoom meeting isn’t an emergency, husband needs to seek a new employment. None of this is the fault of Regent. No employer should interrupt scheduled vacation time with a “mandatory zoom meeting” on scheduled vacation time, minus an emergency.

Nope, cruise booked.  Then hit with meeting... trying to figure out options.... move cruise up???? cancel cruise????? try to hold a private zoom an hour after disembarking?   If we move cruise, well, lets see, flights, hotels, transfers.. changes, changes, changes....... keep the cruise.... how to hold a private meeting... one I cannot even sit in on, Legal crap....... Cancel cruise.... lose money.... the best option is to take existing cruise and hold meeting... but what if there is fog and we are late docking.... what if customs does one of their slow downs????   It is not a trivial meeting.  It has to happen as scheduled.  The date was forced by the state just last week.  Normally a 6 month window to happen, but the previous mediator dropped the ball and now we are under a legal deadline and getting all parties to agree to a meeting time.  

Look you don't have advice I get that.  Looking for advice.  I did receive some good advice if we keep the date with a office rental that is actually there at Canada Place.... So just don't reply.  If we move the cruise, was asking how bad it would be with dinner and excursions.

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

They haven’t even booked the cruise yet 

This next post is even more confusing…. No? To what? What are they moving?

1 hour ago, caymancouple said:

no, looking at moving

Check the times of my post against the new thread you quote .

7 hours ago, cwn said:

That is the best idea yet. To cancel the cruise at this late date is a big loss. If you are in Vancouver the night before, just plan to disembark that evening after dinner. You will not miss much and avoid the hurry up and wait to be called the next morning. We always get off the night before if it is an option. You can probably find a cheaper hotel than the one at the terminal too.

My post on this thread was 7 hours ago; the thread you mention was started 3 hours ago. My post you quoted was based on the information at hand 7 hours ago. Nothing said in this thread about not having booked yet, only that they would have to cancel if couldn’t work out something. ( at least until an hour ir so ago ) Several of us were just giving friendly suggestions. It would be helpful if the OP would give all the details in the first pist.

• Like 1

If you can, move the cruise. But if the date of husband’s “mandatory zoom call” is on a scheduled vacation day for him, and if it is not an emergency, it is the employe’s fault — not yours. Either you, or your  TA should contact Regent about dinner and excursions. Our experience with Regent has been that those things tend to fill up pre cruise, but open up when you are onboard. But, let me say again. If your husbands scheduled vacation included the day of this “mandatory zoom meeting” and if it is not an emergency, the employer should compensate for any monetary loss (and I know of no corporate emergency that is announced more than a week in advance). I am fortunate not to have an employer for almost 30 years, and I don’t miss them at all. Employers seem to foul up everything. But there seems to be a shortage of employees at all levels now. It shouldn’t be difficult to find one that would respect scheduled vacation time off.

Edited by Dolebludger

53 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

Nope, cruise booked.  Then hit with meeting... trying to figure out options.... move cruise up???? cancel cruise????? try to hold a private zoom an hour after disembarking?   If we move cruise, well, lets see, flights, hotels, transfers.. changes, changes, changes....... keep the cruise.... how to hold a private meeting... one I cannot even sit in on, Legal crap....... Cancel cruise.... lose money.... the best option is to take existing cruise and hold meeting... but what if there is fog and we are late docking.... what if customs does one of their slow downs????   It is not a trivial meeting.  It has to happen as scheduled.  The date was forced by the state just last week.  Normally a 6 month window to happen, but the previous mediator dropped the ball and now we are under a legal deadline and getting all parties to agree to a meeting time.  

Look you don't have advice I get that.  Looking for advice.  I did receive some good advice if we keep the date with a office rental that is actually there at Canada Place.... So just don't reply.  If we move the cruise, was asking how bad it would be with dinner and excursions.

For so reason I didn’t see your last post. Thank you. I thought maybe I had misread your posts.

keep your current cruise. See what you can arrange at Canada Place for your husband for a private space…. Locals can help there. The other option is to leave the Ship in Victoria and spend the night in a hotel there, have the meeting in the hotel room that morning, while you go shopping or something. It would be easiest and surefired no hick ups with fog etc in Vancouver. If your flight is late out of Vancouver you may still make that work too with the ferries. Or see the company will help with any air ticket changes and stay another day.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

Yeah, but what kind of an employer puts an employee through this on a scheduled vacation day? Emergency? No, what kind of emergency can be announced over a week in advance?  I was a corporate attorney when my corporate client’s vice president of operations called me about an emergency at 3;00 AM, and it was. He wanted me as his favored attorney to be there with him to help him, and I got dressed quickly and went. I didn’t do much, but I was there for a client. That’s what we did. But I was not on scheduled vacation many miles away. I was right there, so I went. But the corporation for which I worked never interfered  with scheduled vacation time off. No calls, no contact of any kind until until my vacation time was over. And when it was,I reported  for work. That is how it was. It offends me to hear about a corporate employer cutting an employee’s scheduled vacation time short by a “mandatory zoom call” when the employee (on vacation) may not have the ability to participate. If that is the case, somebody needs a new job. Shouldn’t be hard to find these days. Even I could find one (if I wanted one) as I am almost 80!

21 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Yeah, but what kind of an employer puts an employee through this on a scheduled vacation day? Emergency? No, what kind of emergency can be announced over a week in advance?  I was a corporate attorney when my corporate client’s vice president of operations called me about an emergency at 3;00 AM, and it was. He wanted me as his favored attorney to be there with him to help him, and I got dressed quickly and went. I didn’t do much, but I was there for a client. That’s what we did. But I was not on scheduled vacation many miles away. I was right there, so I went. But the corporation for which I worked never interfered  with scheduled vacation time off. No calls, no contact of any kind until until my vacation time was over. And when it was,I reported  for work. That is how it was. It offends me to hear about a corporate employer cutting an employee’s scheduled vacation time short by a “mandatory zoom call” when the employee (on vacation) may not have the ability to participate. If that is the case, somebody needs a new job. Shouldn’t be hard to find these days. Even I could find one (if I wanted one) as I am almost 80!

Reasons behind the need for the cruise change is really none of our business and should not be part of the discussion. 

All the OP ask of CC is for suggestions for ways to made the zoom call and cruise to work.

• Like 6

I really don’t totally agree with CWN’S  comment above. We have been cruising Regent since it was Radisson. And I have answered the question about the reliability of making a zoom call on disembarkation day. And to our experience, it is close to none. And is it beyond this thread’s evocative to mention that a problem may be an employer’s fault, and not Regent’s? Regent does not guarantee internet connects on board, let alone after leaving the ship. To our experience, once you disembark, a Regent ship, you enter a “real world” of lack of service, where nobody knows what they are doing. We like Regent, because once we leave the dreaded airline world we are treated like people and not like cattle. And when we leave a Regent cruise, it is like we are cattle again. I don’t depend on anything after we disembark. And what  is wrong with calling out an employer who has seemingly cut an employee’s  scheduled vacation short?   Now what is  wrong with that? Please tell me.

Dolebludger, I may not be reading 5is correctly, but it doesn’t sound to me like the husband is an employee.  It sounds like he is an attorney, as is my husband.  George has frequently had to do zoom calls while on vacation as a judge demanded it,  OP is talking about a mediation, and to me that says lawyer, since he is the one leading the call.

• Like 2

And further, all of us attorneys in solo practice usually had other attorneys to cover for us in minor matters like motions and such. But a major trial would have been scheduled well in advance to give us advance timing to not book a cruise during that time. Still, being a solo attorney in private practice is not an attractive job. Been there, done that, avoid that

On 6/11/2023 at 12:17 PM, caymancouple said:

Ummm, our cruise ship docks at 7am at the Canada Place cruise terminal.  It is the end of the cruise, so we have to get off.  Just found out he is leading a meeting over Zoom at 9 am that is so important we will have to cancel our cruise.  I checked the Vancouver Library, but they don't open till 9:30.  Hotels are never going to guarantee checking in that early.  Any other ideas?

Perhaps there's a business centre in one of the big hotels nearby that could rent a space to your husband for this call? Fairmont comes to mind?  Or perhaps you could book a room the night before on the understanding that you wouldn't actually be checking in until early morning, and then very briefly?  

Does he have to be on a laptop, or would a phone be good enough?  If the latter, you can just get a good roaming package, so all you need is to be in a room somewhere and use your cellular internet?

I would be shocked if he couldn't find a quiet spot either in Canada Place where you disembark, or better yet, the Pan Pacific hotel.  They offer internet service to the public for a fee.  You could have "second breakfast" in the restaurant while he is on his call.  If all else fails, there's a Tim Horton's and a Starbucks just outside the exit, and an underground food court across the street with free Wi-Fi.  As mentioned, you could also zoom on your phone using cellular data if you had to.

I've attended Washington DC based zoom meetings from Alaska, Iceland, South America, Europe, and Antarctica.  One tip - look for loitering crew members on their phones.  They know all the places to get service.

• Like 1