Covid While on Board and Isolation

walnut99

HAL has the tissue dispenser next to the door in all public restrooms that I have been in!  After experiencing that many years ago, I use a paper towel or something to open the door when leaving any public restroom off ship as well now.  Seems to be working so far!!  🤞

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, oakridger said:

HAL has the tissue dispenser next to the door in all public restrooms that I have been in!  After experiencing that many years ago, I use a paper towel or something to open the door when leaving any public restroom off ship as well now.  Seems to be working so far!!  🤞

~Nancy

Yes, ma'am - Aunt Ethel's tissue is to open the door going INTO the restroom, lol (not) since so many people don't wash their hands. 😒

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
24 minutes ago, walnut99 said:

Yesterday while surfing the HAL website, there was a FCC in my wife's account for the three full days that she was isolated due to Covid.  It took a while but she now has the credit for the May, 2023 cruise.

Congrats! Sounds like they're getting quicker. 

We were on the Nov 4th Koingsdam cruise and washed our hands and used the hand sanitizers when we passed them. We still came down with old fashioned head colds the day before we departed. We tested when we got home, and we were both Covid Negative.  It took us 5 days post cruise, to get over the colds and these colds were a lot worse than the cases of confirmed covid we got last year on the Oosterdam. It's not just Covid that you can get on a cruise ship.  But it was the 5 days of isolation on the Oosterdam last year for covid, that paid for this last cruise with the FCC we got in January.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We were on the Nov 4th Koingsdam cruise and washed our hands and used the hand sanitizers when we passed them. We still came down with old fashioned head colds the day before we departed. We tested when we got home, and we were both Covid Negative.  It took us 5 days post cruise, to get over the colds and these colds were a lot worse than the cases of confirmed covid we got last year on the Oosterdam. It's not just Covid that you can get on a cruise ship.  But it was the 5 days of isolation on the Oosterdam last year for covid, that paid for this last cruise with the FCC we got in January.

There's a respiratory virus going around (at least Down Under) that's not COVID or influenza, but I was sick for 2 weeks and had a lingering cough for another month.  And yes, it was much worse than when I had COVID.  Fortunately, I'm all better in time for my Auckland to Sydney cruise in 6 days (but who's counting?). 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, sciencewonk said:

There's a respiratory virus going around (at least Down Under) that's not COVID or influenza, but I was sick for 2 weeks and had a lingering cough for another month.  And yes, it was much worse than when I had COVID.  Fortunately, I'm all better in time for my Auckland to Sydney cruise in 6 days (but who's counting?). 

Recently returned from B2B on Celebrity and got that respiratory thing--not COVID--shortly into the TA. Turned into acute bronchitis that I'm still shaking three weeks later. Half the ship was coughing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mljatsea said:

Recently returned from B2B on Celebrity and got that respiratory thing--not COVID--shortly into the TA. Turned into acute bronchitis that I'm still shaking three weeks later. Half the ship was coughing.

Cruise crud? Long-standing traveler affliction that was always in discussion in the past.   Noticed a lot of coughing in the airport waiting for our flight to our last cruise. Beginning of the annual flu season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on the Oosterdam but I have nog seen HAL provide any masks. There are some handgel distribution station but that's it. Whatever you do, don't trust on  others to keep you safe. Bring your own mask (we did).

My DW and I have been in isolation for 5 days after (self-)testing positive. Never saw anybody from Medical, they just took our word for it that we were positive. Thanked us multiple times for our honesty. We got full room service and will get FCC for the days we spend in isolation. There were only 6 people in isolation on the whole ship, but I truly believe that there are many, many more with covid that either don't test or don't tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

On Nieuw Statendam masks are available on request but I’m not sure if they are the K95 ones. We definitely have Covid aboard; I know of 3 people who’ve had a positive test. Each was treated differently — there appears to be no consistency.

I know HAL’s Travel Well protocols have changed and I have heard varying reports from passengers on what was expected of them when they tested. Ranging from “here’s a test” from the medical team without any followup (and they were positive), to isolation, etc. I recall with other illnesses where passengers missed days exploring the ship some credits were given. Any idea if there is now a standard protocol across the HAL fleet?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sallycruiser06 said:

Is HAL supplying KN95 masks.? For those that want them?

Our last cruise they provided basic masks, not KN95.  Check the pockets of your jackets, they're still in there from last year.  🙂

• Like 1