Ember on Vista

jjwoben1

Maybe they have  reservations  because the space is small ??

How many seats are in Ember

can you imagine if it was like your local diner & if people want a  sit down meal  after tours  it may be lined up down the hall  or maybe not ??

I will reserve judgement until I try it  but so far it looks good to me

We do not go to Jacques or Red Ginger   so does not leave many options  for us  polo & Toscana are the same old same old 

looking forward  to trying Ember

YMMV

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PirateShark said:

I guess my personal disappointment is that the Ember concept just seems like someone didn't even try to come up with something more interesting for us North Americans.  We can get this menu just about anywhere in these parts.    I mean, off the top of my head, why not a Spanish tapas type concept.  Maybe another bistro type French restaurant instead of Jacques if licensing is a problem.  Or a high end Indian experience.  I'll definitely try it of course but the lack of imagination is perplexing.

"High end Indian" - you now have my FULL attention.   That is seriously great food.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

"High end Indian" - you now have my FULL attention.   That is seriously great food.

I found his comment as being a joke. How could you ever make high end Indian without using herbs and spices. Far more Oceania guests prefer bland than anything with spices. 

Nothing wrong or bad about Embers food. It’s simple, it’s American, and it’s what a certain cross section of passengers want. Mauibabes mentioned Cheesecake Factory. 1000s flock to CF daily and leave satisfied. We haven’t been to one in years. Each to their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I found his comment as being a joke. How could you ever make high end Indian without using herbs and spices. Far more Oceania guests prefer bland than anything with spices. 

Nothing wrong or bad about Embers food. It’s simple, it’s American, and it’s what a certain cross section of passengers want. Mauibabes mentioned Cheesecake Factory. 1000s flock to CF daily and leave satisfied. We haven’t been to one in years. Each to their own.

Actually, it wasn't a joke.  O hires many chefs of Indian descent so it *could* work.  As to spice/heat I grew up in the CA Central Valley so I say bring it.  When we go to Red Ginger, I request they up the spice/heat quotient in my dishes and haven't been disappointed.  Yet.  

All that being said, I know that this would never happen and I was just wishing out loud like we all do from time to time.  I've also never ate at a Cheesecake Factory but give me a good taco truck and you'll have a happy girl 😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PirateShark said:

Actually, it wasn't a joke.  O hires many chefs of Indian descent so it *could* work.  As to spice/heat I grew up in the CA Central Valley so I say bring it.  When we go to Red Ginger, I request they up the spice/heat quotient in my dishes and haven't been disappointed.  Yet.  

All that being said, I know that this would never happen and I was just wishing out loud like we all do from time to time.  I've also never ate at a Cheesecake Factory but give me a good taco truck and you'll have a happy girl 😊

I think this is a great idea! I would love to see more interesting food choices. I don’t eat red meat and there is way too much of that already on cruises! I grew up in Fresno….how about you?

• Like 2

I thought the food was decent but as many have noted it was nothing over the top special.  Those that I were with seemed to enjoy the pork chops.  To me, the biggest issue was the noise. It was pretty extreme. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I have heard whispers that there is sometimes an Indian specialty night in Terrace that actually has spices, but haven't seen it yet. The regular Indian menu in Terrace/GDR lacks the spices I expect in even buffet Indian food (e.g., lunch buffet in a restaurant run by Indian/Pakistanis). I'd be really impressed if they included some southern India dishes which might appeal to the I-don't-like-curry crowd.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

It seems to me there is always Indian food in the Terrace,  don't like the stuff but that's just me.

We’ll there’s something I can agree with you about. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I have heard whispers that there is sometimes an Indian specialty night in Terrace that actually has spices, but haven't seen it yet. The regular Indian menu in Terrace/GDR lacks the spices I expect in even buffet Indian food (e.g., lunch buffet in a restaurant run by Indian/Pakistanis). I'd be really impressed if they included some southern India dishes which might appeal to the I-don't-like-curry crowd.

“Oceania doesn’t do Spicy”

Words straight from one of the servers in the Terrace.

Bland they do, spicy ( and we’re not talking hot spices) they don’t do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

It seems to me there is always Indian food in the Terrace,  don't like the stuff but that's just me.

There has rarely been Indian food in Terrace on my itineraries (once on our recent 7-night cruise).

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

“Oceania doesn’t do Spicy”

Words straight from one of the servers in the Terrace.

Bland they do, spicy ( and we’re not talking hot spices) they don’t do. 

Agreed! I tried to get my "spicy" dishes spicy in RG. I emphasized eye-watering, and got barely-hot (i.e., I could tell there were peppers added, but just a tad).

Have you had the "special" Indian menu in Terrace (not the regular one with lamb curry, etc.)...I'm blanking on what the call those night..."chef's special" or something similar? I had high hopes for it, but it sounds like it may be just as bland so what's the point?

Edited by AMHuntFerry

1 minute ago, jonthomas said:

In the Terrace I always ask for seasonings on my steak..they say all they have is salt...I tell them to pour that on and pepper if they can find it or it is way too bland for me.

There were salt and pepper shakers on the table and they were walking around with the giant pepper mill on our recent cruise. It's like we're sailing on different lines.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

There were salt and pepper shakers on the table and they were walking around with the giant pepper mill on our recent cruise. It's like we're sailing on different lines.

Agree, also going around with pepper mill and on table in Terrace Cafe on our recent cruise also 

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

What you didn't understand is that that's all there was, salt and pepper.

So you wanted curry powder for your steak? JK 😉 Not sure what spice other than salt/pepper is put on steak outside of a marinade for tougher cuts; seriously, when I eat steak, I eat just steak (but the again we have SRF just down the road a bit).

Edited by AMHuntFerry
steak adjective may have been racy previously :)

39 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

So you wanted curry powder for your steak? JK 😉 Not sure what spice other than salt/pepper is put on steak outside of a marinade for tougher cuts; seriously, when I eat steak, I eat just steak (but the again we have SRF just down the road a bit).

Unusual. We use an assortment of dry rubs on our steaks and chops depending upon the flavors we want for the meal. Most all have garlic powder and then vary for a French, Italian, or American West flare. All of my restaurant customers have their own variations of seasonings for meals to create their dishes . None of the restaurants give you a steak with absolutely nothing on it as O does.

I do realize many O cruisers prefer bland. Often hear “ Can you put the spices on the side?” Oceania seems to cater strongly to those passengers at our dismay. Guess they save money that way. Herbs and spices cost money.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Unusual. We use an assortment of dry rubs on our steaks and chops depending upon the flavors we want for the meal. Most all have garlic powder and then vary for a French, Italian, or American West flare. All of my restaurant customers have their own variations of seasonings for meals to create their dishes . None of the restaurants give you a steak with absolutely nothing on it as O does.

I do realize many O cruisers prefer bland. Often hear “ Can you put the spices on the side?” Oceania seems to cater strongly to those passengers at our dismay. Guess they save money that way. Herbs and spices cost money.

But dry rubs go on before cooking, right?

I rarely eat steak and almost never in a restaurant, but when I do it is high quality (preferably SRF) and has its own flavor that I like to savor. Now if we're talking things like chuck, brisket, or tri-tip (even high quality) yes, I marinate or dry rub.

I've hijacked this thread enough with another food-is-subjective path...sorry.