AT&T cruise package instead of Voom?

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have an unlimited plan with one line and it shows 4.35 Gigabytes with 9 days left. And that is with most of my internet use being on my home WiFi. 

You should be able to see more granular info on the phone which shows you data use by app and see which app is the cell data hog.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

You should be able to see more granular info on the phone which shows you data use by app and see which app is the cell data hog.

The number of times after an update I have to go in and turn off the automatic video play for facebook on my wife's phone........

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I could but I would not trust that info would be the same on a cruise. I think it would be pretty easy to go over the plans 1G included and the next increment is a charge for every 100MB. Particularly on a long cruise it would be difficult to keep under 1G. Could be a costly plan. The plan seems to be intended for people who want to text and phone calls and not use data. `On Royal Caribbean where the free internet loyalty perk is days not minutes that kind of sinks the OP’s strategy. I have successfully used the OP’s strategy in Europe on Celebrity and Princess 10 and 11 day cruises when the loyalty perk was minutes. The 240 minutes was plenty for sea days and whatever Princess was giving was enough too. I used the $10 travel passes at ports. That strategy with the included days only worked for me on Royal Caribbean when two of the ports were Cozumel and Costa Maya which were included in my cell plan and I paid $10 at two other ports and I was able to use a free WiFi day at the end. Giving days free instead of minutes makes me think Royal knows some of us savvy types would game them. 

Thinking about the world cruise problem I think I would just suck it in for any of the three days at sea I was not able to have internet and do without. If there were ten sea days like on a transatlantic I would spend the $400 plus. I don’t think I would for 3 sea days. 

21 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

This is what I thought also when I purchased the Voom package, but I was never able to access my 2 days of internet.  They told me that is was due to me purchasing the Voom. 😞  That is what happened on the Rhapsody in May.

Depends on whether or not you used the discount to buy the package.   If you didn’t then insist upon it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That most certainly has not been my experience. If you pre-purchase ahead of time you loose the free days. This is why people are frequently asking what the price is on the ships. It is so they can figure out if it is better to buy in the cruise planner or wait until boarding the ship.

Did a B2B on Anthem a couple months ago.  On day 5 of each cruise, I went to the Voom desk and they changed my package to 2 devices instead of 1 for the rest of the cruise.  Was on Mariner a month later for a 4 and 5 day.  On those, it was cheaper for me to buy onboard and use the 2 free days than to purchase pre cruise, even with the sales.  So yes you definitely need to do some calculations to get the best deal!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't think so. I don't see how. Could you give a hint as what you are thinking?

Hi, Charles4515,

I have never used a VPN before but on our trip to Europe this fall, I plan to purchase a VPN service. So you can consider me a newbie to the VPN world. Just wondering what effect, if any, VPN would have using onboard WiFi.

Jim

3 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Charles4515,

I have never used a VPN before but on our trip to Europe this fall, I plan to purchase a VPN service. So you can consider me a newbie to the VPN world. Just wondering what effect, if any, VPN would have using onboard WiFi.

Jim

I used Nord VPN recently on sailings from Australia. The Royal app wouldn’t let me sign on using my VPN, but was fine if I logged on without it and then added my VPN. I didn’t seem to have any issues with my games, websites, emails, etc. with my VPN.

We  have regular unlimited T-Mobile plan. It gives it 256 kbp data in 215 countries and free text. Calls cost 25 cents a minute, but I never tried to call. I call via messengers, Google, Viber, Whats App.

I read that in Europe much faster data is included.

23 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I'm going to call AT&T and try to find out how much data we normally use.  We have an unlimited plan so it otherwise doesn't matter, but I'm sure they have records. 

It's also on your monthly bill.  I would be concerned only because so much data is used for updates on your phone and PC.  It's unpredictable.

5 hours ago, Tatka said:

We  have regular unlimited T-Mobile plan. It gives it 256 kbp data in 215 countries and free text. Calls cost 25 cents a minute, but I never tried to call. I call via messengers, Google, Viber, Whats App.

This is in port though, not at sea.

5 hours ago, Tatka said:

It's all Starlink on the ship are you referring to  T-Mobile?

5 hours ago, steveru621 said:

It's all Starlink on the ship are you referring to  T-Mobile?

I’m referring to use in ports, if one doesn’t need to be 24/7 on line it works.

On ship is Starlink