Prima Meh

Shynook11

18 hours ago, Shynook11 said:

yes 4 pp in cabin, drink package tips, specialty dining tips, 3 pp thermal suite plus tips and I am including the air cost in the 16K total as we bought through NCL.  Am not including shore excursions.   Bottom line if they have a problem with cabin noise that is documented, they should offer some small compensation for those who suffer through the noise.

Did you choose this cabin during booking your cruise OR was it a guarantee that was assigned to you? 

8 hours ago, Agent999 said:

Why? This isn't about you and alleged noise. It was stated that there aren't enough seats. I just simply asked how many seats would be "enough". Give me a number. Simple question. Yet you avoid answering it as though you'd rather be evasive and argue instead of providing some understanding and definition to "enough". You can tell me how may words you've spewed, but not how many seats are needed?

Nobody said it was your job (there you go again creating words to argue against), but if you're fair and impartial, don't say what is wrong when you can't say what is right.

How many seats would be enough is a great question.

Here's another one:

Since this is a cruise ship with limited space, what other venu should be reduced in size to provide the additional seating?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VTSteerage said:

We are leaving on the July 16 departure northbound to Iceland from Southampton.  We made our reservation in a balcony cabin in October 2021.  It includes 4 specialty dinners and NCL airfare from and back to Boston.  The airfare alone has proven to be a huge savings, given what has happened to trans-Atlantic fares in the interim.  While we have read the reviews of the Prima, my wife and I are going with an open mind.  It seems like the public areas get the negatives, while the cabins get kudos.  We'll roll with the flow and hope all the ports happen.  Since 1983, we've been on RCCL, Holland America, and NCL cruises.  All of them have dropped a bit over the years (remember chocolates on your pillow and midnight buffets?), but cruises are still a great value for your money. 

Bravo for your attitude.  We sailed Prima in May…NYC to Bermuda and loved it.  We had rain, wind and very rough seas first two days…and it was fine with everyone being inside.  Our cabin did creak in rough seas.  Bring white noise.  It’s all what you make out of your adventure.

also, re: seat availability, we found that most people don’t stay in one place for hours.  When seating wasn’t available, we typically just stood for a short time and scouted for people to get up to leave.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

.Our cabin did creak in rough seas.  Bring white noise.  

The wall that held the patio door creaked unbelievably loud the last night of our Prima cruise. We had a sound machine and I wear earplugs...it still kept me up most of the night. Luckily it was our last night.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

For Indulge, since there is a Starbucks in the atrium. they could remove the one from Indulge, which would give space for more seating.

When I sailed on the Prima in March, the solo host said that Starbucks would be removed from Indulge on the Viva to accommodate more seating. Hope this is true.

• Like 4

Sorry you had this issue on your cruise.

From all the reviews I've read on this ship both here and that other social media spot from seasoned NCL cruisers, Prima would have to have rock bottom pricing with a decent itinerary before I would book her.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

the solo host said that Starbucks would be removed from Indulge on the Viva to accommodate more seating.

they could also remove coco's, which sells upscale desserts... unless coco's also prepares the free desserts. (but those could come from any central kitchen on the ship... it's not as if they are baking them in the indulge food hall.)  i'm sure there are fans of this pay for play dessert shop, but i never ever saw anybody buy anything from coco's.

the thing is, even if they removed starbucks AND cocos, there still wouldn't be enough seats zt the food hall. but it would help tremendously. it's a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Agent999 said:

Context please. How many seats would it need to have (please provide a number) for it to be viable? What area or areas on the ship would you be willing to get rid of for this expansion? What percentage of the passengers on a ship should be able to have a seat at the same time in order to make a dining venue viable? I've seen a number of dining venues on NCL ships with far fewer seats that are perfectly viable. This is just the limited seating fallacy part two.

The area immediately in front of it which falls into The Local.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njkate said:

Sorry you had this issue on your cruise.

From all the reviews I've read on this ship both here and that other social media spot from seasoned NCL cruisers, Prima would have to have rock bottom pricing with a decent itinerary before I would book her.

I am hoping that all the complaints about Prima lower the price. This is would be great since I did not find it to be "meh".

I really enjoyed Prima. It did take a couple of days to get used to the lay out after being on several Breakaway and Jewel class ships. But more positives for me than negatives. I don't care about going to Syd Norman's, so not an issue for me. Never go to Cavern Club either. I just do not want to be in a crowded club. There are other things to do on this ship in the evening. I would rather be in a comfortable lounge like Metropolitan or Belvedere listening to whatever live music they have. I also enjoyed the theater shows and the dance party in the theater after they pushed all the seats back. 

I am glad to hear that NCL is making changes on the future builds. I would like to see the addition of hot tubs to the outdoor areas near the infinity pools, and maybe near the kid's splash area.

Any one who thinks about booking this ship should just do it. Take the reviews with a grain of salt and adjust expectations. Get in line early if Syd Norman's is important to you. Try to go to Indulge at a non- peak time or just be patient and a seat will open up. 

Edited by Cruising Lynne
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

they could also remove coco's, which sells upscale desserts... unless coco's also prepares the free desserts. (but those could come from any central kitchen on the ship... it's not as if they are baking them in the indulge food hall.)  i'm sure there are fans of this pay for play dessert shop, but i never ever saw anybody buy anything from coco's.

the thing is, even if they removed starbucks AND cocos, there still wouldn't be enough seats zt the food hall. but it would help tremendously. it's a step in the right direction.

I completely agree that Starbucks can be removed from Indulge, but in general I want to say the following about Indulge. 
I was aware of the popularity and potential overcrowding of Indulge ahead of time and it can be frustrating to find a spot, but we quickly learned to work around it.

On our Iceland cruise in May (which was full), we did notice that Indulge is most used for lunch and finding seats around 12:30 is impossible, but we worked around it and either came at 11:45am (had to wait a couple minutes) or came around 1:30pm and then finding seats was much easier as the big lunch rush was mostly over. 

Also we noticed that Indulge was not that busy at dinner times and we often came to Indulge for dinner instead of Hudson/Commodore Room and never had an issue finding a seat around that time. And honestly we preferred Indulge over the main dining room when it comes to food quality.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Any one who thinks about booking this ship should just do it. Take the reviews with a grain of salt and adjust expectations.

If you adjust expectations based on reviews, you really aren't taking them with a "grain of salt". The reviews, sadly, document the valid shortcomings of Prima.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

If you adjust expectations based on reviews, you really aren't taking them with a "grain of salt". The reviews, sadly, document the valid shortcomings of Prima.

Shortcommings, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder.

I, for one, haven't seen anything in these 'reviews' which are concerning to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Shortcommings, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder.

I, for one, haven't seen anything in these 'reviews' which are concerning to me.

Ahhhh, couldn't have said it more eloquently. You are taking the reviews with a grain of salt and NOT adjusting expectations, then. You are not concerned.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kasimir said:

I completely agree that Starbucks can be removed from Indulge, but in general I want to say the following about Indulge. 
I was aware of the popularity and potential overcrowding of Indulge ahead of time and it can be frustrating to find a spot, but we quickly learned to work around it.

On our Iceland cruise in May (which was full), we did notice that Indulge is most used for lunch and finding seats around 12:30 is impossible, but we worked around it and either came at 11:45am (had to wait a couple minutes) or came around 1:30pm and then finding seats was much easier as the big lunch rush was mostly over. 

Also we noticed that Indulge was not that busy at dinner times and we often came to Indulge for dinner instead of Hudson/Commodore Room and never had an issue finding a seat around that time. And honestly we preferred Indulge over the main dining room when it comes to food quality.

That's our strategy on all ships try to avoid the busy times. 

Usually works just adapt your timing many cruisers don't

Too many people do the same thing every day and somehow expect it to be different.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you let 'review' like this influence your choices, then you'll never cruise again.

I'm assuming that the size of areas on the ship are accurate.

I'm probably a "boring" cruiser.  I had a history of sailing only Cunard and then someone convinced me to join him on NCL's Joy   Wow, I had a great time (except for the disembarkation chaos )  Now I only want to sail on the Joy.  I could be convinced to try one of NCL;s ships with solo cabins.  Its the same in restaurants. If I have a favorite restaurant and I really like what I chose to eat there I will always choose the same thing.  So, the Prima probably wouldnt have interested me anyway.   I dont like feeling crowded so that's good to know.   My voyage on the Joy seemed packed. In fact, a few times they had to close the buffet because it was too crowded but we usually ate at the main dining rooms   The noise can happen on any ship with certain cabins.  

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I'm assuming that the size of areas on the ship are accurate.

I'm probably a "boring" cruiser.  I had a history of sailing only Cunard and then someone convinced me to join him on NCL's Joy   Wow, I had a great time (except for the disembarkation chaos )  Now I only want to sail on the Joy.  I could be convinced to try one of NCL;s ships with solo cabins.  Its the same in restaurants. If I have a favorite restaurant and I really like what I chose to eat there I will always choose the same thing.  So, the Prima probably wouldnt have interested me anyway.   I dont like feeling crowded so that's good to know.   My voyage on the Joy seemed packed. In fact, a few times they had to close the buffet because it was too crowded but we usually ate at the main dining rooms   The noise can happen on any ship with certain cabins.  

We're 'boring' cruisers as well.  We're not concerned about the lack of space in the entertainment venues because we're usually in bed by 9PM. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

The noise can happen on any ship with certain cabins.  

as often as people say this, i will come along to say, yes, of course cabin noise is normal on a cruise ship… but, no, the type of noise people speak about on the prima is extraordinary and unlike anything you have experienced before… unless you’ve been unlucky enough to sail in one of these cabins on the prima.

it will absolutely ruin your trip… it’s not a question of flexibility or attitude, this cabin noise is due to a manufacturing defect within the ship and can only be corrected in dry dock, by tearing down the walls of the cabin and fixing whatever the hell is causing the incessant noise. it is reprehensible that NCL continues to sell these staterooms.

• Like 3

There’s a couple old sayings (yes I’m older than many).

1) don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.

2) variety is the spice of life.

YOLO… so why not catch a deal and form your own opinion.  Yes, Prima prices are going ⬇️.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, UKstages said:

as often as people say this, i will come along to say, yes, of course cabin noise is normal on a cruise ship… but, no, the type of noise people speak about on the prima is extraordinary and unlike anything you have experienced before… unless you’ve been unlucky enough to sail in one of these cabins on the prima.

it will absolutely ruin your trip… it’s not a question of flexibility or attitude, this cabin noise is due to a manufacturing defect within the ship and can only be corrected in dry dock, by tearing down the walls of the cabin and fixing whatever the hell is causing the incessant noise. it is reprehensible that NCL continues to sell these staterooms.

ok, I believe you!  No Prima for me but I probably wouldnt have chosen it anyway. Part of the precruise excitement for me is visualizing in my head before; the cruise. Cant do that if I havent experienced the layout.  I also dont care that much about the destination either.  I mostly go by the in port/sea day ratio.  And when you travel mostly solo the cabin doesnt mean anything to me either, except to sleep.  no happy hours etc.  

Edited by Smitheroo

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

I honestly believe you when you speak of cabin noise.  We had it for two nights due to quite rough seas.  With the drink package and white noise, I was fine.  DH…who normally sleeps sound was kept more awake. However, we both loved Prima snd would sail again.

that being said, NCL really needs to find her sweet spot.  TA cruises need to be rock bottom pricing due to the impact of rough seas and cabin noise.

Hot summer Caribbean cruises wouldn’t be ideal due to limited pool access and competition.

Bermuda out of NYC was ideal (not until Spring) because people left the ship to enjoy Bermuda for several days.

Alaska would be a good itinerary…especially the Vancouver/Seward or Whittier/Vancouver run.

Mediterranean in shoulder season…awesome.

Northern Europe in Summer (not shoulder) season is likely a good fit.

NCL will figure it out eventually.  Right now they’re showing off their newest ship…and falling short.  PRIMA is a good ship when on the right itinerary.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, UKstages said:

Been saying this for a long time. Why would anyone pay for a dessert on a cruise ship when perfectly fine (dare I say excellent) desserts are available in the dining venues free of charge. I'll answer my own question...apparently nobody does. Like @UKstages says, I have never seen anyone doing it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, dexddd said:

The area immediately in front of it which falls into The Local.  

Yes, there is a long corridor of dead space there which they could potentially re-jig the structure of, to add a few more tables. 

The Local (bar side) also has a lot of wasted space itself, there is the potential to fit a lot more tables than they have in there. 

• Like 1