NCLH Press Release on “Simply More”

Classiccruiser777

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

I think the question is "can you use the SM credits for the Private Van or Car excursions?" With or without the 25% discount. A sub question would be if you can do they count toward your total that you need to get the 25% discount?

I'd love to know the answers to those question. I wonder if the folks who came up with the SM program gamed these scenarios out or are they going to have to figure it out after the questions come in.  

On their website, they do mention the Executive Collection tours under the Simply More information. Not sure if that means you can use the SM credits but why mention them if you can’t??? But we know how website information does not always equal reality. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I'd love to know the answers to those question. I wonder if the folks who came up with the SM program gamed these scenarios out or are they going to have to figure it out after the questions come in.  

Already answered......booked an executive collection vehicle, used SM SBC but did not count towards 25% discount.  It is clearly stated on the shore excursion page ....

Edited by basor
  • Thanks 2

Shepard, pooling with a few other couples is a great way to spend the SM credit and still have a semi private excursion.  Having control over itinerary and how much time to spend at each site is the biggest issue for me.  The executive collection works perfectly for this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 12:56 AM, AMHuntFerry said:

I just noticed the other day that there are some (new?) accessible shorex available, but I'm sure the availability with be better/worse depending on the itinerary. You can view the ports with accessible tours by clicking on the wheelchair icon on the following page:
https://www.oceaniacruises.com/shore-excursions

Note: Some appear to be more accessible than others, or at least have specifics in the descriptions such as buses with wheelchair lifts and accessible bathrooms.

You are a dreamer! We just came back from Vista. Only one accessible tour was offered. If you read the description you see that they always offer accessible tours if you are able to climb up into a bus and the wheelchair goes into the trunk. For simply more they told us that we should book their private car offer. This is so expensive that the amount is never enough.

So Oceania will not be an option anymore 

2 hours ago, urlaub said:

You are a dreamer! We just came back from Vista. Only one accessible tour was offered. If you read the description you see that they always offer accessible tours if you are able to climb up into a bus and the wheelchair goes into the trunk. For simply more they told us that we should book their private car offer. This is so expensive that the amount is never enough.

So Oceania will not be an option anymore 

Some tours  do mention the bus  will have  a ramp or lift  or are adapted  for  wheelchairs   but the spaces are limited

not every tour will be  wheelchair friendly

34 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Some tours  do mention the bus  will have  a ramp or lift  or are adapted  for  wheelchairs   but the spaces are limited

not every tour will be  wheelchair friendly

During our 18 days cruise on Vista was only ONE accessible. On Marina 55 days last December and January was NO accessible excursion.

So for what shall we use the credit with simply more

Edited by urlaub

22 minutes ago, urlaub said:

During our 18 days cruise on Vista was only ONE accessible. On Marina 55 days last December and January was NO accessible excursion.

This is a serious issue and one which I think you let both your TA and Oceania know.  It seemed obvious when Simply More was released that Oceania would need to closely examine its current tour scheduling.  If nothing else, it is clear that alot more people would be taking ships excursions with the need to ensure additional space.  

I would assume that O understands this and is working through the process to help ensure that the majority of people paying the SM additional fee can access some excursions.

Non availability of accessible tours has to be a real issue for a cruise line with an older clientele.  

While we do like that O allows people to choose which excursions their money goes towards, we also understand that almost no one will be able to hit the exact dollar amount meaning most will be forced to either spend additional money out of pocket or leave funds on the table.  A choice which certainly will not make most happy.

Having said that, the new program is in its infancy and time will tell.  

From the first SM was released we determined that, with no clear alternative (almost no premium or luxury line does not include at least something), we would have to decide if cruising with O at the increased price made sense for us even if we barely drink and even we don't get slot of value out of the excursion credit.  Our next cruise is still more than a year out and we have grandfathered cruise only.  After that, we shall see how all this shakes out, but for now, we feel we will be sticking with O.

I wish you luck wherever you cruise next but please make sure corporate in Miami knows your lack of options.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, urlaub said:

It could be that  some ports  they just do not have  a lot  of accessible  vehicles with tour  contractors

Some smaller towns may not even have  more  that a few rental cars  let alone accessible  buses

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It could be that  some ports  they just do not have  a lot  of accessible  vehicles with tour  contractors

Some smaller towns may not even have  more  that a few rental cars  let alone accessible  buses

Well good to know! My husband is only 43 years paraplegic. So for sure we cannot know the problems all over the world (52 Cruises all in all) with accessible buses. I think you didn’t understand the problem that Oceania offers excursion credit but not for us and they are not willing to think about.

17 minutes ago, urlaub said:

Well good to know! My husband is only 43 years paraplegic. So for sure we cannot know the problems all over the world (52 Cruises all in all) with accessible buses. I think you didn’t understand the problem that Oceania offers excursion credit but not for us and they are not willing to think about.

Ok  so I did not know every port in the world had  wheelchair accessible  tours

Our  friend cruised   to Europe & Alaska  he  just had to stay onboard   because he could not get ashore  in some ports

7 minutes ago, urlaub said:

Then I guess your option is not to use Oceania with the changes just as some will not use it because it includes alcohol and they don’t drink.  Hopefully you can find another cruise line that may be more accommodating to your specific situation. 

Based upon their excursion web site, Oceania has 184 excursions marked as accessible, out of 7929  total excursions.   Some of those are for people with limited mobility (reduced walking distances and limited stairs).  So the number for those requiring a wheelchair or scooter is  even more limited.

Edited by ldtr

Since all are paying for the ship excursions under SimplyMore now it’s probably the time for Oceania to organise excursions for the passengers with limited mobility separately from the regular tours in some ports where it’s possible. Maybe arrange an accessible bus going to the same sights. It’s not a good idea to make regular tours available to these people as it will significantly slow down the other participants making a negative impact on their experiences.

• Like 4

When looking at accessible tours   look for  image.png.00640251300bc2bdfe8631b937a63cf5.png

in the excursion list

Most  have a note at the bottom of the description

"PLEASE NOTE: Tour includes step-free routes, shorter distances and no stairs. Accessible restrooms with wide doors for wheelchairs are present along the tour route. Vehicles are adapted with an access ramp (or lift where available) to accommodate a limited number of wheelchairs and/or mobility scooters. Guides are not allowed to push wheelchairs; therefore, guests needing special assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied."

If you do not  have a mobility issue  do not book the tour  & leave them for those  that do

They may not have  accessible tours  at each port 

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

When looking at accessible tours   look for  image.png.00640251300bc2bdfe8631b937a63cf5.png

in the excursion list

Most  have a note at the bottom of the description

"PLEASE NOTE: Tour includes step-free routes, shorter distances and no stairs. Accessible restrooms with wide doors for wheelchairs are present along the tour route. Vehicles are adapted with an access ramp (or lift where available) to accommodate a limited number of wheelchairs and/or mobility scooters. Guides are not allowed to push wheelchairs; therefore, guests needing special assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied."

If you do not  have a mobility issue  do not book the tour  & leave them for those  that do

They may not have  accessible tours  at each port 

Considering that selecting accessible brings up 184 tours and Oceania visits around 400 unique ports.  They have accessible tours at less than half of the ports that they visit.

We are currently on the Rivera and I asked the Future Cruise person if they was any chance SM would become optional.  He said they were trying to make that possible as they were getting negative feedback from many guests.  I told him to add us to the list as we will not be forced into O  excursions.  We are on for 78 days and have two O excursions booked and one of those is a transfer.  If O sticks to SM we will be canceling our 100 days on Regatta in 2025 and concentrating our trips with Azamara.

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We are currently on the Rivera and I asked the Future Cruise person if they was any chance SM would become optional.  He said they were trying to make that possible as they were getting negative feedback from many guests.  I told him to add us to the list as we will not be forced into O  excursions.  We are on for 78 days and have two O excursions booked and one of those is a transfer.  If O sticks to SM we will be canceling our 100 days on Regatta in 2025 and concentrating our trips with Azamara.

I'm delighted to hear this.  We've never taken an O excursion in 5 cruises.  We did consider it on our last cruise, but, guess what, the ones we were interested in were fully booked.  Under O life we were able to change from "free excursions" to the drinks package or SBC.  Under Simply More It looks like money down the drain.  Since O excursions are seriously overpriced paying up front for excursions is poor value even if they are available.

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

So, you'll switch to another line that also includes excursions in their fare? 

That'll show them. 

52 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

So, you'll switch to another line that also includes excursions in their fare? 

That'll show them. 

I don't think Windstar includes shore excursions either.  

The extra cost of unwanted shore excursions will indeed lead us to consider other inclusive lines that we've previously not considered.  It may not show them, or it may.

While I don't want to push this thread to go on forever and I do believe that everyone should cruise wherever makes the most sense for them personally, let me just say this.

Having read all of the SM threads so far, it has not yet been made clear to us that on average, SM adds any more than $300 to $400 per person for a ten day cruise.  It is true all kinds of numbers have been quoted but most if not all of these may have included other increases for reasons which have nothing to do with SM.  Unfortunately, O is not a very transparent line so we do not have the direct confirmation.

But, if that is correct then as far as have also seen O is still very competitive, if not still cheaper than all of the other premium and luxury lines on average.  (Please do not respond with every instance where you found a comparable cheaper cruise.  Between our own research and many threads here I have yet to see anything clearly showing O, across the board, to be more expensive.  Yes you can find some instances or certain cabins, or even certain cruises but I have not seen across the board that any are truly cheaper)

So this begs the question.  If you had chosen O pre covid, and if even with the increase for SM, O is still the same, or cheaper than other lines, why switch?  Even if it costs 2 or 3 percent more why would you switch?  (Of course we have threads that some have other issues and other reasons make more sense.  Although I must also say that I have no clear evidence that food on O is decidedly worse than pre covid.  Plenty of posts on these forums that quality, on average, is still very high.)

Just something to think about.  Why not just pretend O raised prices across the board by 8 or 10 percent and not worry too much about what is being included that you won't use?

That is the way we are going to look at it.  After all, everything in our lives has gone up post covid.  Not thrilled about that but there it is.

• Like 7