Meet and Greets?

emarismom

There was one on my cruise in March.

If someone from another social media site beat you to the punch they may be ignoring you even though CC is really where I think they'd prefer they be coordinated.  Has someone from the roll call for your cruise not set one up already?

• Like 1

Every cruise I've been on (April 22, Sept 22, Dec 22/23, March 23) has had a meet and greet. I only went to one, but all were advertising here on Cruise Critic and you know where.

Might be worth a follow up to NCL to ask if someone else has already begun the Meet and Greet (or Mingle as Cruise Critic likes to call it). 

Meet and Greets are definitely still happening!

It may depend on how far out you contacted them. If you are more than 4-6 weeks out, they may wait to send you a response to your request.

This is the email that I used to coordinate a M&G on the Escape in 2022: SpecialEventsEscape@ncl.com

I have been trying to get up some interest on our Roll Call for the August 18, 2023 cruise to Bermuda.  The usually want to see about 25 people before they will arrange it with the ship.  We now have 28 people who expressed interest, so I have requested a Meet and Greet, but just sent it in today.  I don't expect to hear for a few weeks.  In the last few years I have sometimes organized and also just attended several with 50+ people in attendance.  This interest seems to have dropped off quickly, but we usually cruise to Bermuda in the spring and this time we are going in August.  I did notice on other cruises during the summer there is little interest in the Roll Calls.  It is a mystery to me. . .

Is there a different crowd in the summer ?

Are there fewer people on Cruise Critic than there used to be ? 

Are people not interested in chatting on-line before a cruise ?

Are the people on Cruise Critic the type that cruise all the time and don't need to gather information ?

Are they bringing family and friends and don't want to meet new people. 

Is there less interest in meeting the officers ?

4 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

I have been trying to get up some interest on our Roll Call for the August 18, 2023 cruise to Bermuda.  The usually want to see about 25 people before they will arrange it with the ship.  We now have 28 people who expressed interest, so I have requested a Meet and Greet, but just sent it in today.  I don't expect to hear for a few weeks.  In the last few years I have sometimes organized and also just attended several with 50+ people in attendance.  This interest seems to have dropped off quickly, but we usually cruise to Bermuda in the spring and this time we are going in August.  I did notice on other cruises during the summer there is little interest in the Roll Calls.  It is a mystery to me. . .

Are the people on Cruise Critic the type that cruise all the time and don't need to gather information ?

Is there less interest in meeting the officers ?

There's a demographic shift to more relevant social media. I bet if a roll call were posted somewhere else, it would fill up. For cruise-specific information, I do not rely on Cruise Critic...at all. There is nowhere near enough folks on the roll calls. When I go somewhere else, well, I'm one of hundreds. 

You didn't exactly ask me, but I'll answer your questions from my perspective:

Crowd - well, more families for sure, but that hasn't changed from years past.

Fewer on CC - most likely. It's not the most welcoming place due to some regulars (unfortunately I've been a scold to some newbies even).

Online - I chat online prior to cruise. I don't when I'm on the boat.

Cruise Critic people - I'd say most are regulars, based on what I've observed. 

Family/friends - I dunno

Officers - I don't give a hoot about meeting the officers, just like I don't care about a hotel's general manager or the chef/maitre d at a restaurant. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

Is there less interest in meeting the officers ?/

I am in no way at all claiming to be representative of... well anything really... But here's my thoughts:

I am not particularly interested in chatting before a cruise. I have joined roll calls though in the hope of maybe getting useful information/inspiration. I have found some good info both in roll calls and the general forum and for that I am grateful!
I am a solo traveller, but I'm perfectly happy being solo. I cruise to relax, read books and experience nature/places/culture. Not to meet people. (Having said that, I have to say that there are so many nice people out there, but a small chat waiting for the elevator or whatever is enough for me. Thank heavens most people are more sociable than I am!)

Meeting the officers? Nah, no interest whatsoever! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

I have joined roll calls though in the hope of maybe getting useful information/inspiration.

Our thoughts exactly. We follow any roll calls for our cruises. However, we never sign up for a meet and greet. Just not our thing.

But please, if you do sign up for a meet and greet -- SHOW UP.  I can't imagine organizing a meet and greet for 30 people, and only 2 show up. Have some respect.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RB9643 said:

But please, if you do sign up for a meet and greet -- SHOW UP.  I can't imagine organizing a meet and greet for 30 people, and only 2 show up. Have some respect.

That is a really good point! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When my friends and I sailed to Alaska on the Jewel in May 2022, we could never get enough interest in a Meet & Greet either on the Roll Call thread here at CC or on the social media group. So nobody contacted the ship about setting up a Meet & Greet with the officers, and instead we set up an informal gathering just among the roll call folks. But apparently the ship really wanted there to be a M&G with the officers, so they set one up without being asked! We found it in the daily newsletter and a couple dozen people attended. The General Manager (Steven Jacobsen) for that cruise was great, and really wanted feedback from people about the cruise and the guest services. When a disabled friend of mine had problems with getting wheelchair service to get off the ship for a shore excursion, he helped her get in touch with the Access Officer and share her experiences so that the staff could learn how they can serve disabled cruisers better. 

My lesson learned from that is that it's probably worth trying a bit harder to organize those events -- they are not just fun for us, but apparently they are an opportunity for the staff to make connections with people and offer help if something comes up. They give out their phone extension numbers and do respond if you contact them. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RB9643 said:

Our thoughts exactly. We follow any roll calls for our cruises. However, we never sign up for a meet and greet. Just not our thing.

On our last NCL cruise, a lot of us signed up for the Meet and Greet, but only 10 showed up. And one of the no shows was the person who organized it!

NCL did send officers. The lack of participation by those who signed up was embarrassing.

So, I second what you wrote. If you sign up, attend. I know there are those who are not interested, and that is fine, just don't sign up that you will attend.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And one of the no shows was the person who organized it!

I understand that ship happens, and it's easy to get distracted by everything else going on, but damn, show up to your reservation!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, emarismom said:

I have probably contacted them to early.  I don't think anyone else has contacted NCL yet.  I will follow  up closer to the cruise. 

You have not said when it is but per the instructions, you should apply 2-3 week before sail date.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/meet-mingle/norwegian/

In my experience, even if you apply a couple of weeks early they sit on the request until the correct timeframe.

3 hours ago, RB9643 said:

I was guilty of this on my last cruise.  I sail solo, had met some other solo travelers on embarkation day.  The second day was when the M&G was, I was walking around the ship with one of them when I saw the sign at the DBH - I had completely forgotten about it!  When I got the chance I was sure to apologize to the organizer, they were understanding...

4 hours ago, JustAllie said:

When my friends and I sailed to Alaska on the Jewel in May 2022, we could never get enough interest in a Meet & Greet either on the Roll Call thread here at CC or on the social media group. So nobody contacted the ship about setting up a Meet & Greet with the officers, and instead we set up an informal gathering just among the roll call folks. But apparently the ship really wanted there to be a M&G with the officers, so they set one up without being asked! We found it in the daily newsletter and a couple dozen people attended. The General Manager (Steven Jacobsen) for that cruise was great, and really wanted feedback from people about the cruise and the guest services. When a disabled friend of mine had problems with getting wheelchair service to get off the ship for a shore excursion, he helped her get in touch with the Access Officer and share her experiences so that the staff could learn how they can serve disabled cruisers better. 

My lesson learned from that is that it's probably worth trying a bit harder to organize those events -- they are not just fun for us, but apparently they are an opportunity for the staff to make connections with people and offer help if something comes up. They give out their phone extension numbers and do respond if you contact them. 👍

I agree, the staff seems to like meeting all of us and they want feedback.  Last year on the Pearl out of Boston the General Manager seemed especially proud of the ship and his staff and crew.  We had over 50 people at the M&G, and there was a gift exchange and a slot pull later in the day.  Most of those in attendance were experienced cruisers and many do the Boston to Bermuda cruise every year, including my husband and I.  It was great.  I am hoping to have a large group again, though my experience is that about 50% who sign up will show up.  

I attended one on another line several years ago and it was my last. I guess I don’t like to be around other people as much as I thought I did. I’m not anti-social by any means, but I have a specific type of people I like to be around if that makes any sense. 

• Like 2

Organized a Meet and Greet on the Bliss to Alaska earlier this year.  Am organizing one on the Epic to the Mediterranean in October this year.

Epic crew has already responded and given a date/time/place for our M and G!

NCL does a really nice job.  Upper Management shows up for a QA and to mingle.  They like CC guests and normally have snacks and drinks, too!  It’s always informative and interesting!

Re-emphasize…if you sign up, show up.  You’ll enjoy it.  And, you’ll make friends you’ll see throughout the cruise!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

I forgot to mention that on my most recent cruise, from Southampton to Tromsø on the Star, there was quite a large group at the Meet & Greet. People mostly seemed interested in organizing private excursions, which was not something I had seen at M&G events before. But this cruise had a lot of experienced cruisers and I'm sure that played a role. 

4 minutes ago, JustAllie said:

I forgot to mention that on my most recent cruise, from Southampton to Tromsø on the Star, there was quite a large group at the Meet & Greet. People mostly seemed interested in organizing private excursions, which was not something I had seen at M&G events before. But this cruise had a lot of experienced cruisers and I'm sure that played a role. 

Excellent point…M and Gs are great opportunities to arrange group excursions, slot pulls, etc!

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

In my experience, even if you apply a couple of weeks early they sit on the request until the correct timeframe.

We've had our date, time and location for our M&G on the Getaway in November for at least 2-3 weeks already. People on the roll call wanted to know when it would be so I went ahead and emailed them at the beginning of June and got a reply about a week later. But I think each ship does it their own way so YMMV.

• Like 2

I'm on the Joy in September.  No one wants to do a M&G.  In all fairness, it's a 9 night cruise and we have one "sea day" (really a river day) near the end of the cruise.  I know the day after we embark, we don't port in Boston until 1, so that morning would be doable but no one's interested.  We've always had a good time at them.  We've had the captain show up a number of times, and they offered bridge tours to those who attended!  Then he had refreshments on the bridge for us and posed with us for pics.

• Like 3