Viking River Bordeaux wine cruise for "younger" folks

angelsil

DH and I are looking to book the Viking River cruise that basically floats around Bordeaux stopping at wineries. We're wine drinkers, but not necessarily snobs. I am 52 and DH is 45 and we're a bit worried we'll be the only ones there not retired. We're not crazy active people or crazy partiers, but we also don't want to be on such a small boat and feel like the odds ones out.

Our previous cruising has all been larger lines - primarily Celebrity but also Carnival, RCCL and MSC.

Has anyone taken this cruise and can let us know what you thought?

I've never sailed with Viking, but your age is getting close to the younger "average" now on cruising. Our first one was when we were a bit younger than yourselves, and never had a problem. Good thing you don't want crazy parties, as there is none of that on the river boats.

May I suggest reviewing the stickies our Host pinned on the main board, and also meet with a TA to discuss if Viking will suit you. I am NOT steering you away from them, but there are a lot more lines out there and you may wish to compare all of them to see which one will meet your budget and expectations. The only thing I don't like about Viking is it's payment plan, they require full payment well in advance of any other line out there. Also, if you are going to be on the 2nd or 3rd level, book a balcony, as they shifted their corridor off centre, so the french balcony rooms are smaller than the ones on the lowest level. 

I hope you can find a cruise you like.

Editing to add to articles that may be useful: 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/bordeaux-river-cruise-tips

Edited by Daisi

I took this cruise in 2021.  You are on the younger side, but there were others your age on this cruise.  Viking river cruises, and probably most river cruises, are actually quite active with lots of walking tours on cobblestone streets, up hills, etc.  There were a couple of stops on this cruise where the medieval towns had quite a bit of walking with some challenging elevation changes.  On the other hand, there were some long bus rides thru the countryside too.  We had a great time.

Yes, Viking requires payment very early for first time Viking cruisers, but it is because they can.  Their ships fill up very far in advance partly because of repeat customers who enjoy their product.  @Daisis advice is good - talk to a knowledgeable TA who can help you decide if river cruising is for you and whether Viking is a good fit.

Sailed with Scenic never with Viking but everyone on board wanted to go to the Bordeaux area, some even to sample the wine some your age or there about’s and some older you’ll could be just a tad surprised at the stamina of your fellow but older travellers. It’s a beautiful part of the world you’ll enjoy it, the bonus the food is superb. Whoever you decide to travel with enjoy.

2 hours ago, angelsil said:

DH and I are looking to book the Viking River cruise that basically floats around Bordeaux stopping at wineries.

Has anyone taken this cruise and can let us know what you thought?

I've been on that cruise. If you are interested in wine then it's great to be in the world's largest fine wine region. With the Viking cruise you have dinner one night in Ch Kirwan, a third growth in Margaux, where they served their top wine. It was a highlight of the trip.

You're worried you'll be the only ones not retired. I guess you really mean will other guests be decrepit, sitting mumbling and dribbling. No.

All guests will have had to travel - from the American continent or Australia is a long haul and not something decrepit do, plus there's a lot of activity on a river cruise.

Meal times are free seating, so if you share a table with people you don't get on with, don't sit with them again.

I took the cruise of Bordeaux when I was retired - but I retired in my 50s.

There's not many cruise companies operating the Bordeaux cruise. I've been with Viking and Scenic.

Viking have a better designed boat, seems more airy and spacious. Scenic use a narrow gangplank from their high reception with rope hand 'rails' to access the boat, which I did not like. Viking's lower floor reception matches the levels of landing stages.

You are not the first person to post fears of being the youngest guest on board, if you look back through the forum you'll find the threads with responses from members of this board.

I think you'll enjoy the cruise and you won't even notice the ages of other guests.

Cheers

20220826_on-boat-at-Blaye.jpg

Me with Champagne, Blaye castle in background. There's a comprehensive wine shop operated by the Blaye wine association showcasing all the wines from Blaye facing the castle entrance

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pontac said:

I've been on that cruise. If you are interested in wine then it's great to be in the world's largest fine wine region. With the Viking cruise you have dinner one night in Ch Kirwan, a third growth in Margaux, where they served their top wine. It was a highlight of the trip.

You're worried you'll be the only ones not retired. I guess you really mean will other guests be decrepit, sitting mumbling and dribbling. No.

All guests will have had to travel - from the American continent or Australia is a long haul and not something decrepit do, plus there's a lot of activity on a river cruise.

Meal times are free seating, so if you share a table with people you don't get on with, don't sit with them again.

I took the cruise of Bordeaux when I was retired - but I retired in my 50s.

There's not many cruise companies operating the Bordeaux cruise. I've been with Viking and Scenic.

Viking have a better designed boat, seems more airy and spacious. Scenic use a narrow gangplank from their high reception with rope hand 'rails' to access the boat, which I did not like. Viking's lower floor reception matches the levels of landing stages.

You are not the first person to post fears of being the youngest guest on board, if you look back through the forum you'll find the threads with responses from members of this board.

I think you'll enjoy the cruise and you won't even notice the ages of other guests.

Cheers

Me with Champagne, Blaye castle in background. There's a comprehensive wine shop operated by the Blaye wine association showcasing all the wines from Blaye facing the castle entrance

This is exactly the insight I was looking for - thank you.

DH and I have been on Celebrity for years and certainly some sailings - in our 20s and early 30s - we were also the youngest. We experienced things on the ship closing down really early and just generally not meeting a ton of folks we had things in common with. On a 3,000 person ship you can always find a few folks to hang out with. On such a small ship, I was concerned it might be harder.

We're interested in this cruise 99% for the itinerary, so I guess that isn't a huge deal honestly. We did a similar land tour in Italy last year and had a blast. I've always wanted to try a Viking cruise after living in Europe for years and seeing them sail by when I was a broke student.

We started river sailing in 2012 with Viking being our first trip. Fell in love with river cruises from that first trip. I am now 58 (you can do the math) and I have never been the youngest on the boat. I use to fall on the younger side but plenty of “young at heart” passengers to enjoy and get to know. Last years river cruise on Uniworld which I have heard has an older crowd, I was right in the middle. Because of the smaller passenger numbers, you really get to enjoy many, and learn very fast the ones to avoid.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, angelsil said:

This is exactly the insight I was looking for - thank you.

DH and I have been on Celebrity for years and certainly some sailings - in our 20s and early 30s - we were also the youngest. We experienced things on the ship closing down really early and just generally not meeting a ton of folks we had things in common with. On a 3,000 person ship you can always find a few folks to hang out with. On such a small ship, I was concerned it might be harder.

We're interested in this cruise 99% for the itinerary, so I guess that isn't a huge deal honestly. We did a similar land tour in Italy last year and had a blast. I've always wanted to try a Viking cruise after living in Europe for years and seeing them sail by when I was a broke student.

Be aware that if you are planning for 2024, the Summer Olympics are in Paris.  If you plan on visiting Paris pre or post cruise, this will affect hotel pricing and availability

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Be aware that if you are planning for 2024, the Summer Olympics are in Paris.  If you plan on visiting Paris pre or post cruise, this will affect hotel pricing and availability

We're looking at November for just this reason.

• Like 1

As others have said, I’m 49 and I’ve done 5 cruises so far in Europe, all on amawaterways. 

have I often been one of the few under 55? Yes but it’s definitely a more active crowd than say an ocean liner a lot of times. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about not meeting people. Basically the entire ship is doing excursions together all day and there are only 1-2 places to eat so you will be constantly around people who want to be social. 

• Like 1

I have no insights just yet, but I'm 36 and my husband is about to turn 39 (much to his chagrin, I'm sure). We are now under a week out from our first river cruise, Viking's Cities of Light. I suppose there's a chance I'll be the youngest on this ship, but we've honestly found ourselves chatting with the crew as often as other passengers on past cruises so we're not terribly stressed. To the extent my thoughts would be helpful, though, I'm happy to share once I'm on board. We've got a land portion to start, so we'll be embarking in a bit over a week on 7/7.

We've only done one river cruise, so far: the Douro on Ama. We were 55 and 57 at the time, and among the youngest several cruisers. However, we both noticed that our fellow passengers were, on average, much more fit than ocean cruisers we've encountered. As mentioned above, river cruising is very active, with lots of walking, including climbing steps and slopes. 

Folks were well-traveled, interesting, and young at heart. We did not feel out of place, and made friends (younger than us) with whom we plan to travel again. 

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

We've only done one river cruise, so far: the Douro on Ama.

What an adventuresome start to river cruising!  We are doing the Douro in late summer – our 6th river cruise.  And yes, the passengers on all our river cruises (AMA and Scenic) have been quite fit and well-traveled.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What an adventuresome start to river cruising!  We are doing the Douro in late summer – our 6th river cruise.  And yes, the passengers on all our river cruises (AMA and Scenic) have been quite fit and well-traveled.

We have two more booked: Mekong and Nile. Exciting stuff!

I'm dreaming of the Ama 7 Rivers cruise tour. 

We did the Viking Bordeaux in 2015. My wife was 54 at the time and one of the youngest passengers on board.  (It was fun to show her off!!).  We enjoyed the trip for the food, wine, and ports.  The scenery to me was just so-so, the Rhine or Douro are much more spectacular in that regard.  Anyways, you will meet many interesting people of all ages and will never feel out of place.

• Like 1

DH & I started river cruising in our early-mid 40's-were we among the youngest or the youngest on most sailings?  Yes.  Has it bothered us at all?  Resounding no!  We're early-mid 50's now & have done 5, all with Uniworld.  We did their Bordeaux cruise last July & really enjoyed it.  Honestly, we've found that most of the "older" people on board have more energy than we do!  Just one word of caution-River Cruising is addictive!!

• Like 1