Room Service Charges

cruiser3775

43 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We all deal with the cards we are dealt.  Those in “charge” now set the rules. The pendelum will swing back…. i hope. 

I sure hope so, I went to college in 91' and got a B.A. in Economics.  It seems like everything I was taught and basic assumptions made, are now obsolete. In that very decade, all the accomplishments/societal protections made by "The Greatest Generation," were squandered. 

10 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

I sure hope so, I went to college in 91' and got a B.A. in Economics.  It seems like everything I was taught and basic assumptions made, are now obsolete. In that very decade, all the accomplishments/societal protections made by "The Greatest Generation," were squandered. 

For what it is worth, I have a lot of friends that are Carnival management at many levels.  I can tell you that they have not lost focus on the priority of the customer. I know this factually to be true.  Again, for what it is worth.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2023 at 8:08 AM, Iamthesea said:

What about snack items throughout the day and evening.  We have never ordered room service for such items, but traveling with my grandchildren (who seem to eat 24/7),  I would like to have that option if needed.

When our kids were in that age range, I brought granola bars, gold fish crackers etc because sometimes waiting even for free room service just made everyone hangry. Lol. Seems silly to bring food on a cruise but with littles and teens sometimes you are just doing the best you can. 

3 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

When our kids were in that age range, I brought granola bars, gold fish crackers etc because sometimes waiting even for free room service just made everyone hangry. Lol. Seems silly to bring food on a cruise but with littles and teens sometimes you are just doing the best you can. 

That's why we travel without them, lol. Sometimes just traveling w/my husband and I, we're doing the best we can. 🫠

• Haha 2

As a customer and a stockholder I don’t mind one bit the up charge for most room service menu items. I have cruised several times since the restart and don’t mind paying a fee to have room service delivered to my lazy butt when in my cabin. I love not seeing all the wasted food left in the halls nowadays.  Optimizing crew hours and running efficiently is not something I mind, Carnival is still the best value for my vacation money. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Miss that day the supply/demand lecture happened?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tree.critter said:

As a customer and a stockholder I don’t mind one bit the up charge for most room service menu items. I have cruised several times since the restart and don’t mind paying a fee to have room service delivered to my lazy butt when in my cabin. I love not seeing all the wasted food left in the halls nowadays.  Optimizing crew hours and running efficiently is not something I mind, Carnival is still the best value for my vacation money. 

Completely aligned as both a customer and stockholder, as well as someone concerned about the environment, with CCL doing what is necessary to eliminate/minimize waste. However, when those actions drive customers toward the competition, it's time to course correct. Not everything is a win.

We've noticed a decline in the amount of food in the halls waiting to be picked up, so likely charges are working to a degree. But some of it may also be due to increased cleaning practices which remove the trays sooner so we don't seem as many. But there is still too much wasted. I don't think the answer is more price increases, at some point customer responsibility needs to kick in (ie passengers need to realize they just don't need to be so wasteful and eat what they order).🤔

I say it all the time, too - cruising IS the best value for my vacation money!!🚢

• Like 2

back to those room service charges???  I can't remember.... is the charge put on the sign and sail card?  or do we pay cash??  Or, was it sign and sail for the charge, but tip in cash???  too long since I have cruised....  thank you

18 minutes ago, cthrn27 said:

back to those room service charges???  I can't remember.... is the charge put on the sign and sail card?  or do we pay cash??  Or, was it sign and sail for the charge, but tip in cash???  too long since I have cruised....  thank you

Hi @cthrn27🙂

The room service charge/total is placed on your account. The tip can be cash or you can write your desired tip amount on the receipt tip line. 

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, cthrn27 said:

Best rule to remember is EVERYTHING goes on your S&S card and you always have the option of giving an additional cash tip.

• If you give your card (S&S card) to someone, the charge goes on your card
  • If you sign a slip, the charge goes on your card
  • If your card is scanned, the charge goes on your card
  • If you lose your card and the finder uses it, the charge goes on your card (seriously, do report it lost asap)
  • If you add an extra tip to a charge slip and give extra cash, the charge goes on your card

I actually REALLY like the fact that our complimentary breakfast is accompanied by a slip. I now can add that modest delivery tip without having to fumble around the cabin for a couple singles before I've had that first cup of Joe.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Completely aligned as both a customer and stockholder, as well as someone concerned about the environment, with CCL doing what is necessary to eliminate/minimize waste. However, when those actions drive customers toward the competition, it's time to course correct. Not everything is a win.

We've noticed a decline in the amount of food in the halls waiting to be picked up, so likely charges are working to a degree. But some of it may also be due to increased cleaning practices which remove the trays sooner so we don't seem as many. But there is still too much wasted. I don't think the answer is more price increases, at some point customer responsibility needs to kick in (ie passengers need to realize they just don't need to be so wasteful and eat what they order).🤔

I say it all the time, too - cruising IS the best value for my vacation money!!🚢

If anyone is being driven to the competition they are likely going to be faced with the same thing, and likely paying more in the process. While I can't see anyone being driven away solely for this I can see it as a "last straw" kind of situation, but again, the changes that Carnival has made is consistent with what is going on with other cruise lines. 

Edited by sparks1093

20 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Completely aligned as both a customer and stockholder, as well as someone concerned about the environment, with CCL doing what is necessary to eliminate/minimize waste. However, when those actions drive customers toward the competition, it's time to course correct.

In my time working with the public, I can't remember how many times I had a customer threaten that next time they were "going to go to a competitor instead," because they did not like a policy of ours. Meanwhile, the competitor had the same policy, or worse. They either were never really serious in the words, thinking the claim would scare us into submission, or were just "the grass is greener on the other side" people. 

Some people need to understand reality. The cruise lines didn't choose to be in a position of billions in debt, and surging labor, food, etc. Tough choices had to be made due to the economic environment. Some people would legitimately be happier if the room service was included, even if they ended up paying more than double the cost of what the fees would be, as long as it was rolled up in the fare. I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape that one of the cheapest vacation options available, doesn't come with luxury service. They can very well choose to cruise a line that includes this. However, again, they don't want to pay for it. 

• Like 5