Considering My 1st MSC Cruise

PGHProducer

Hi!

So I am typically loyal to Royal (though have sailed NCL and Carnival in the past). I am considering my 1st MSC cruise next summer on MSC Meraviglia.

It'd be my wife and I as well as our two kids-- 6 & 4.

Has anyone done Royal & MSC? How do they compare? Will I be happy with MSC? 

As for the kids, will they enjoy the kids club? On Royal-- especially in this post pandemic world-- it was kind of like glorified babysitting. There was no  real programming, which was a bummer. Is it similar on MSC?

Finally-- does anyone have daily programs and kids club programs from this summer's MSC Meraviglia cruises from NYC to PC, Nassau & the private island? I'd love to see what kind of activities are available all day and night.

Sorry for so many questions. I'm trying to decide between Symphony of the Seas and MSC Meraviglia right now and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

MSC does some things differently than the Big 3 (in the US) cruise lines. Carnival, RCCL, and NCL can be considered "brothers" in that they are more similar than not as far as standard operating procedures. MSC is like that weird cousin that you only see during the holidays. MSC doesn't have a standard operating procedure other than being inconsistent. 

Hopefully, you're still interested in MSC. 😁

Many of the complaints about MSC are from cruisers who are used to things being "a certain way" on their usual cruise line. When things are different, many people complain and go running back to their cruise line of choice.....which is fine by me. For example, MSC doesn't have many of the southern comfort (processed) foods that too many cruisers want and expect. People who want soft-serve ice cream are often disappointed because MSC has gelato. Typical ice cream in America has about 4x as much butterfat as gelato and Americans (cruisers or not) tend to love their butter. There was a scandal on MSC when some guests weren't able to get packets of butter with their meal...but we don't talk about Buttergate, anymore.   

My kids don't do the kids' clubs but many other children do. The clubs seemed to be popular and well organized when I was on Meraviglia. Getting in to the club can be a problem because once they fill, parents who miss out will complain. If getting into the club is important, it should be done ASAP. 

Not a cheerleader by any means so in all honesty, I think Symphony OTS is a better ship for families than Meraviglia. The Oasis Class ships are in a world of their own based on size and things to do. Only recently have other cruise lines tried to challenge the Oasis Class by building their own 200k GT plus ships including MSC's World Class. Meanwhile, RCCL is raising the bar even higher with the ICON Class of ships. Not that there's anything wrong with Meraviglia (I enjoyed it more than I thought that I would) but I would rank Symphony OTS higher if MSC Yacht Club isn't a factor.  

If price is a factor, that will usually favor MSC. You didn't mention what "experience" you are thinking of with MSC so I can't really compare what you are used to with what you are considering. My kids are also 2 years apart and were 10 and 8 when we sailed Meraviglia. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 4

Hi PGH-

2 wheels summed it up well...

MSC doesn't "compare" well to the other lines...

If you are open to try something different it might work out.

FYI- never was an issue with butter on MSC...just the complainers didn't have the ability to read dutch, german, nor French...it wasn't labeled Merican 🤣 i.e. country crock

if you book in advance for next year read before the information about the status match what is possible for voyager club.

here is a thread for example ( i think there are more threads about here ) and a link, maybe that is something for you.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/status-match

Edited by Steff79

29 minutes ago, freewilly said:

Just took first MSC.. if you book.. book yacht club or bid it after booking another experience. Night and day between experiences. 

What about on a ship that doesn’t offer taught club.  Is there a equivalent?

When NCL was first to have slides and my kids were older, we went that route.

MSC does have nice waterparks and their jungle pool is large, covered, and indoors but most kids are happy to be entertained in any clubs but  I think RCCL would still be the best for your kids' ages  -- the kids clubs are amazing and now with a waterpark and slides, it is a no brainer.

As for the YC, I think that would be more for the parents than the kids (unless the price was port taxes only, I'd still pick RCCL)...

MSC has built its reputation on being family oriented.

However, its definition of family and kids' activities do not fit the needs of those who are looking for a drop the kids in the kids program on the first day and pick them up on the last day of the cruise experience. MSC supports the families that think a family vacation is spending time with each other.

The kids clubs are well attended, however, the hours that the clubs are open ensure that parents will need to pick the children up for meals. 

The family activities on the ships are just that - children will not be able to attend without a parent present.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/on-board/cruise-for-kids