Does this look like an "itinerary change" to you?

clojacks

27 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Ummmm....if you don't believe that Ireland has imposed the restrictions, so be it.  I guess you really have a bug up something about NCL.

But, to dump this on NCL is absurd!  

They have been given new restrictions and have to alter the cruise.  

They "assembled" a new cruise itinerary and notified their customers promptly with over 15 months notice.

This is certainly disappointing to anyone who has booked this cruise, BUT it's for OCTOBER OF 2024!  There is plenty of time to simply cancel if the new cruise destinations are not of interest.

Honestly, What do you expect NCL to do?  Ignore the restrictions , just drop anchor and invade the various Irish ports!  

You're right.  I think the issue here is that many of those posting, myself included, misread the info at first and thought this issue was for a cruise this October.  In that case, the OP likely would already be past the final payment date and problems would ensue if he tried to cancel.  As it is, you are correct, he should be able to cancel without any penalty.  He has more than a year to make other travel plans if a Baltic cruise is not appealing.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Couldn’t we have picked a “safe” itinerary on our own if that was a concern of ours? It appears like you totally missed the point.

Yes...you can pick any other itinerary that you wish. You could also cancel completely. YOUR CHOICE. Is there something that you think prevents you from doing so?

12 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Technically, NCL might be able to continue to survive as a company, continue to find passengers to fill their ships, and continue to remind paying customers that the fine print in the cruise contract gives NCL permission to radically change a cruise of Ireland to a completely different cruise of the Baltic.  Technically, they can get away with that.  Practically speaking, however, I wonder how long they will continue to find suckers, er excuse me - paying passengers, who are willing to put up with such nonsense.  Yes, the terms of the cruise contract make it clear that they don't owe the OP a plug nickel for completely changing the cruise.  I wonder if the folks at NCL feel even the least bit of moral obligation to do the right thing and offer the OP either a full refund or significant financial compensation for this egregious alteration of the itinerary.

Radical and egregious. Wow, such dramatic language. It does make me curious though, how many ports can they change before it becomes "radical and egregious"? One? Two? Three? Four? Help me to understand the difference between a normal change and "radical and egregious".

7 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

Isn't a full refund already an option?

Yes, of course it is, however, once you recognize that fact you can't flail about on Cruise Critic like a victim in search of compensation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

Isn't a full refund already an option?

Yes, it is.  Like several others on this thread, I originally misread the info as applying to a cruise scheduled for this October, not October 2024.  Since the OP has almost a year before the final payment is due, he certainly should be able to get a full refund.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

But, to dump this on NCL is absurd!  

nobody is dumping anything on NCL. what many are saying is that NCL could and should have handled the communication better! they should acknowledge that it’s a completely different cruise, offer comp or an incentive to take the new cruise and explain the curious regulatory environment they reference.

(i’ve googled several times using several different search terms and i can’t find anything about this. and, let’s face it, there is an inherent distrust of NCL because, well, they do tend to stray far from the truth… it was not so long ago that they just made stuff up regarding why they couldn’t serve drinks in UK ports, for just one example. i don’t know that “ireland” has temporarily and unilaterally banned tendering of cruise ships in all ports… seems downright unlikely to me. perhaps they have. but it could also be NCL’s creative way of explaining that they don’t want to pay higher fees for tendering. we just don’t know.)

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

how many ports can they change before it becomes "radical and egregious"? One? Two? Three? Four? Help me to understand the difference between a normal change and "radical and egregious".

NCL changed 100% of the intermediate ports of call.  That seems pretty radical to me.  I'm not exactly sure where to draw the line between a minor change and a radical change, but 100% does seem radical.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, UKstages said:

let’s face it, there is an inherent distrust of NCL because, well, they do tend to stray far from the truth… it was not so long ago that they just made stuff up regarding why they couldn’t serve drinks in UK ports, for just one example. i don’t know that “ireland” has temporarily and unilaterally banned tendering of cruise ships in all ports… seems downright unlikely to me. perhaps they have. but it could also be NCL’s creative way of explaining that they don’t want to pay higher fees for tendering. we just don’t know.)

Deep down in my soul, I wish I didn't have to consider that to be a valid possibility.  Unfortunately, though, you are right.  If they contorted the facts to support their assertion about why they weren't serving drinks, they just might be pulling a similar stunt here.

3 minutes ago, UKstages said:

nobody is dumping anything on NCL. what many are saying is that NCL could and should have handled the communication better! they should acknowledge that it’s a completely different cruise, offer comp or an incentive to take the new cruise and explain the curious regulatory environment they reference.

Actually, my specific response was drectly quoting someone who was dumping it on NCL claiming they " still seen to find new ways to screw their customers".

As for doling out "compensation", if a change is made at the last minute or even after final payment, sure.  But this cruise, according to the letter, is October 10, 2024 

Do you know how many things can change over time?  This cruise in question is over 15 Months from now!  NCL cannot dole out compensation for every cruise that has to be changed over a full year from now.  That's a bit unreasonable, IMHO.

Semantics, regarding "new cruise" or "itinerary change"...Here is an example where they learned a cruise needed to be changed and they are notifying customers as early as they possibly can.  Seems like good communication to me.

If the customers are told they cannot cancel without penalty (Non-US customers) THEN I would have a problem.

• Like 4

I'm the OP. I have no need or interest in any compensation, since all we have into this is our CruiseNext deposits, as long as NCL and my TA don't nick me with a cancellation penalty. My only reason to start this was the strange letter that made it sound like a reasonable swap, with the embarkation and disembarkation ports being the only things similar. I guess my other question would be, what would the normal market price of the new cruise be, as the all Ireland one was reasonably pricey and I have seen no reference to a lower cost.

• Like 9

Differing opinions aside and regardless of the reasons for the itinerary change, whether due to regulations or not, or whether people think it is reasonable or not given that it is not until October 2024, I think maybe what can be very much  dumped on NCL at this point is the fact that they are still selling this Oct 10th 2024 cruise on their website using the original itinerary which they now know not be even remotely similar to actual itinerary......

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, JeanKC said:

I think maybe what can be very much  dumped on NCL at this point is the fact that they are still selling this Oct 10th 2024 cruise on their website using the original itinerary which they now know not be even remotely similar to actual itinerary......

To this point I 100% agree!   NCL is not good in being sure their left hand even knows there is a right hand on the body at times.  

Enough planning had to be done to change the route and notify the currently booked cruisers, but is their only web guy on vacation?!?!   Change the cruise on your own website for pete’s sake!   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clojacks said:

There was absolutely zero mention in the email of options if this "itinerary change" wasn't satisfactory...not a word about waiving penalties or compensation.

That's contrary to UK and EU law for those bookings they are required to offer the full refund option.

The key is what legislation and when does it come into force as there is the Oct cruise this year.

These Ireland cruises have been going cheap and zero solo they have been bargains.

2 more this year and 2 next year.

Most of the changes are to the suck them in ports.

The Dock's are no where near Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Berlin.

That's a jackpot count of sucker ports.

• Like 2

Honestly, OP, if you can cancel and recoup all your deposits, I would say this might be a blessing in disguise. The best (and easiest) way to tour Ireland is via car… plus, you haven’t lived if you haven’t waited 20 min for sheep to cross a tiny road out in the middle of nowhere. 

My mom and I did this back in the mid/late 90’s. Only small hiccup was the fact that our car had a manual transmission and the driver sits on the right side of the vehicle (very awkward shifting with left hand if you’ve never done it before). We remedied this by having whoever sat shotgun be the one responsible shifting gears. 😆

• Haha 1

So still selling the old itinerary on the site.  Is it really that hard to change the itinerary on the site?  Guess they should change the picture also (Belfast).  Perhaps we should get up a pool on which day the itinerary will be changed on the site.  I vote for one day after final payment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I wouldn't even have posted anything about this, it would have been gone!!

However, there are others who might have considered it a more than acceptable cruise to replace the wonderful looking, mostly Irish cruise, desirable.  

To each his/her own.  

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

So still selling the old itinerary on the site.  Is it really that hard to change the itinerary on the site?  Guess they should change the picture also (Belfast).  Perhaps we should get up a pool on which day the itinerary will be changed on the site.  I vote for one day after final payment.

I'll take the day before the cruise sails.  Let's see who comes closer!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The key is what legislation and when does it come into force as there is the Oct cruise this year.

These Ireland cruises have been going cheap and zero solo they have been bargains.

2 more this year and 2 next year.

Most of the changes are to the suck them in ports.

The Dock's are no where near Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Berlin.

That's a jackpot count of sucker ports.

Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw "Paris" on there. That's nowhere near Paris. It's more like docking in New York and listing the port as Chicago.

On the other side of the coin, October isn't exactly the best time to visit Ireland.

Edited by omahabob

35 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw "Paris" on there. That's nowhere near Paris. It's more like docking in New York and listing the port as Chicago.

On the other side of the coin, October isn't exactly the best time to visit Ireland.

Most lines put Le Havre last so people can jump ship and do a Paris extension to the cruise

For most the Irish itinerary is better as it is quite rare, not a lot of opportunities to do the Atlantic side of Ireland

some upmarket==expensive ships do it.

The north sea ports and Danish straits are well covered by other lines.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clojacks said:

I'm the OP. I have no need or interest in any compensation, since all we have into this is our CruiseNext deposits, as long as NCL and my TA don't nick me with a cancellation penalty. My only reason to start this was the strange letter that made it sound like a reasonable swap, with the embarkation and disembarkation ports being the only things similar. I guess my other question would be, what would the normal market price of the new cruise be, as the all Ireland one was reasonably pricey and I have seen no reference to a lower cost.

14 hours ago, clojacks said:

You can check the "value" by doing a mock, new booking once this altered itinerary appears on the website - or just call NCL and do the same.

• Like 2

Yikes that is quite a change. But if truly a NEW (?) government requirement NCL didn't know about when they created the itinerary, not sure how to blame them.  I couldn't find any news on this that didn't relate to this ship sailing (this article didn't have info on the law either) but perhaps it just hasn't received any coverage.

For good customer service, NCL should have shared the options (such as cancelling), but looks like they are being sneaky and trying to give the impression people have no choice in the hope that some uninformed guests will stick with it. I think most people can just cancel their booking for full refund, but if there are regions where they are not protected in this way, NCL should do the right thing and permit cancellations as this isn't even remotely the same trip or experience.

• Like 2

Some good questions:

Has any other cruise line changed their Oct 24 Ireland schedules?  If they did, how so? Is NCL the first or the last to do this?

Since this is 16 months out, what is the OP really out of?  NCL will probably refund FCC's for a cancelation.  Hotels and airlines don't schedule 16 months out.  Did the OP already start reserving tours 16 months out?  Probably not.

The Star is one of the smallest ships, and 16 months out is probably only 1/3 booked.   So maybe 800 rooms at most involved in the change? (note: on any given week, NCL is supplying 24,000 to 30,000 rooms fleetwide)

Is the alternate itinerary offered a good value?  Is this a bargain that the OP should consider? 

2 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Some good questions:

Has any other cruise line changed their Oct 24 Ireland schedules?  If they did, how so? Is NCL the first or the last to do this?

Since this is 16 months out, what is the OP really out of?  NCL will probably refund FCC's for a cancelation.  Hotels and airlines don't schedule 16 months out.  Did the OP already start reserving tours 16 months out?  Probably not.

The Star is one of the smallest ships, and 16 months out is probably only 1/3 booked.   So maybe 800 rooms at most involved in the change? (note: on any given week, NCL is supplying 24,000 to 30,000 rooms fleetwide)

Is the alternate itinerary offered a good value?  Is this a bargain that the OP should consider? 

If you had read the posts, you would have seen the OP (ME) wasn't out anything, or expecting anything. I was merely posting this thread to show the info we received from NCL as to what they consider an "itinerary change" and to let people give their opinion on it.

• Like 6

Just curious, if there's any way of knowing this for the original Oct. 2024 itinerary:   

Just how many ports require tending, and how many ports MAY require tendering, given that some ports have multiple dock locations/different capacity, etc.?  I'm pretty sure that if I had signed up for the original cruise, I may have considered sticking with it, even if the tender ports had been replaced with days at sea. But I don't know how many ports we're talking about, and I know not all ports make their berth assignments over a year away.