Does this look like an "itinerary change" to you?

clojacks

OK, new rules for Ireland but ( did anybody find the new rules? ) it's for 10/24. I'm sailing on 10/3/23 and it's OK, safe for us to tender?

As of 5 minutes ago, NCL is still selling this cruise with the original itinerary around Ireland.

Typical NCL communications out of Miami

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

OK, new rules for Ireland but ( did anybody find the new rules? ) it's for 10/24. I'm sailing on 10/3/23 and it's OK, safe for us to tender?

As of 5 minutes ago, NCL is still selling this cruise with the original itinerary around Ireland.

Typical NCL communications out of Miami

Just found this article...

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-completely-changes-ship-itinerary/105445

@clojacks Thanks, from the article " The notification email references “recently imposed restrictions” on seasonal tendering operations in Ireland, stating that tendering is not allowed from October through April. The reasoning behind this is unknown at this time, but could be related to severe winter weather and the safety of small boats at that time, or as part of seasonal environmental protection measures. "

So is safe for 2023 and not for 2024, love the unknown at this time part.

Jim

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@clojacks Thanks, from the article " The notification email references “recently imposed restrictions” on seasonal tendering operations in Ireland, stating that tendering is not allowed from October through April. The reasoning behind this is unknown at this time, but could be related to severe winter weather and the safety of small boats at that time, or as part of seasonal environmental protection measures. "

So is safe for 2023 and not for 2024, love the unknown at this time part.

Jim

I've searched and can't find any info on "recently imposed restrictions"...nor can I find anything that says these restrictions are going in place in 2024...only that my cruise is in 2024, and I received an email. So, I don't know if it is impacting this years sailings or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Technically NCL could refer to this as an itinerary change, but I agree with you that it represents an entirely different cruise experience.  The new ports are interesting.  I have been to most of them and enjoyed my journey, but if you had your heart set on Ireland I definitely can see how you would be disappointed.  Can you tell us what ship is involved?  I also have a cruise around Great Britain scheduled for this October, but have not received any notice regarding tendering in Ireland.

21 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Technically NCL could refer to this as an itinerary change, but I agree with you that it represents an entirely different cruise experience.  The new ports are interesting.  I have been to most of them and enjoyed my journey, but if you had your heart set on Ireland I definitely can see how you would be disappointed.  Can you tell us what ship is involved?  I also have a cruise around Great Britain scheduled for this October, but have not received any notice regarding tendering in Ireland.

Just now, 1island2go said:

I believe it is on the Star as we were going to do this sailing and at last minute switched it to the May sailing date. Hopefully they won't change the May one as well, as I already have air that I booked and hotels lined up. I am really looking forward to seeing Ireland and would not be interested in what they are proposing. 

20 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yeah! They are screwing their customers by abiding by government regulations. Go figure. 

Personally, I like the new itinerary. It is “safe” from the perspective that it does not require most passengers to get any visas or any other documentation. And they tried to pick well known ports. 

I wonder what it will actually take for you to not be a NCL cheerleader.  I know you get a bunch of perks for being that person but come on, sometimes you just have to admit NCL is not infallible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

@disneylover89 CAS players get comp'd plentiful for their generous contributions ... and of course, one must not avoid cheering.  Just saying ... for your (in)convenience.  Allow me to add the buzzword, "to sail and sustain"

Hey, afterall, per Crew Center ... NCL just updated their grooming policy guidance for ship crew, employees and officers, etc. https://crew-center.com/ncl-updates-grooming-policy-shipboard-employees  That one, I think, is safe to say "cheers" 😁 😆 😄   

P.S.  The worst itinerary change that we've come across are those, not for weather & maritime sea state and/or port safety & security issues ... are those "Welcome Abroad" announcement after stepping on the ships, to find out there is a port of call and/or time of arrival & sailing time changes - the worst among the horribles.

Changing from docking at the port to tender operations, especially last minute ones ... more often than not, resulting in ship pax unable to make changes to privately booked smaller group shorex at reasonable prices vs. the grossly overpriced NCL ship tours by large buses.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just curious, if there's any way of knowing this for the original Oct. 2024 itinerary:   

Just how many ports require tending, and how many ports MAY require tendering, given that some ports have multiple dock locations/different capacity, etc.?  I'm pretty sure that if I had signed up for the original cruise, I may have considered sticking with it, even if the tender ports had been replaced with days at sea. But I don't know how many ports we're talking about, and I know not all ports make their berth assignments over a year away.

If I remember right from the May trip.

4 ports were definitely tender no dock option.

One possible to dock which did happen on ours.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

To this point I 100% agree!   NCL is not good in being sure their left hand even knows there is a right hand on the body at times.  

Enough planning had to be done to change the route and notify the currently booked cruisers, but is their only web guy on vacation?!?!   Change the cruise on your own website for pete’s sake!   

Unfortunately, they've done this before.  On the January 8th sailing of the Getaway they cancelled one port and the morning of another after final payment to help the environment in December.  They never changed the cruise itinerary online for the following month, and even passengers who called NCL directly to book after those ports were cancelled were not notified of the changes.  None of the passengers were allowed to switch to another sailing that actually kept the original itinerary.  At least here, the changes were made well in advance of final payment and I'm glad the OP has reported that they are not out any costs (I don't know about people who put down nonrefundable deposits - maybe NCL would let them transfer a deposit to another cruise?).

Edited by kitkat343

On 7/3/2023 at 1:29 PM, clojacks said:

I'm the OP. I have no need or interest in any compensation, since all we have into this is our CruiseNext deposits, as long as NCL and my TA don't nick me with a cancellation penalty. My only reason to start this was the strange letter that made it sound like a reasonable swap, with the embarkation and disembarkation ports being the only things similar. I guess my other question would be, what would the normal market price of the new cruise be, as the all Ireland one was reasonably pricey and I have seen no reference to a lower cost.

I'm on the Sept 2023 version of this itinerary and it is currently quite cheap. It also was pushing 4x Latitude points for a while. Cynically I wonder if it was really under-booked for next year and they decided the change would sell better.

Edited by BrianLo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BrianLo said:

I'm on the Sept 2023 version of this itinerary and it is currently quite cheap. It also was pushing 4x Latitude points for a while. Cynically I wonder if it was really under-booked for next year and they decided the change would sell better.

The May ones came down to under £400inc taxes with no solo sup.

21 May as low as £370pp

UK Oct one is cheaper than Sept

I expect both to start dropping  in around 4-6 weeks 

• Like 2

As of this morning, I still can't find any information supporting NCL's "claim" of recently imposed tender restrictions. I'm not saying they don't exist in some obscure legal document...I'm saying I can't find any info with a simple google search.

Also, as of this morning, NCL's website is showing the changed itinerary.... 

Edited by clojacks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, clojacks said:

If you had read the posts, you would have seen the OP (ME) wasn't out anything, or expecting anything. I was merely posting this thread to show the info we received from NCL as to what they consider an "itinerary change" and to let people give their opinion on it.

Sorry I missed your post. 

I was really addressing all the panicking other posters here who typically overreact.

42 minutes ago, clojacks said:

As of this morning, I still can't find any information supporting NCL's "claim" of recently imposed tender restrictions. I'm not saying they don't exist in some obscure legal document...I'm saying I can't find any info with a simple google search.

No one ever found the UK drinks laws and NCL refused to reference them.

Asking £1,200 for the new itinerary double where it needs to be.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:48 PM, clojacks said:

Just got an email from NCL that due to Ireland recently disallowing tendering from October to April, our Ireland cruise for Oct '24 has an "itinerary change". 

Original
Day Destination Arrive Depart  
Thu SOUTHAMPTON (LONDON), GREAT BRITAIN   4:00 pm  
Fri WATERFORD, IRELAND 1:30 pm 9:00 pm  
Sat DINGLE, IRELAND 10:00 am 9:00 pm  
Sun GALWAY, IRELAND 7:00 am 7:00 pm  
Mon KILLYBEGS, IRELAND 7:00 am 7:00 pm  
Tue BELFAST, NORTHERN IRELAND, UNITED KINGDOM 7:00 am 8:00 pm  
Wed DUBLIN (DUN LAOGHAIRE), IRELAND 7:00 am 6:00 pm  
Thu DUBLIN (DUN LAOGHAIRE), IRELAND 7:00 am 6:00 pm  
Fri CORK (COBH), IRELAND 7:00 am 7:00 pm  
Sat AT SEA      
Sun SOUTHAMPTON (LONDON), GREAT BRITAIN 5:00 am    
Revised
Day Destination Arrive Depart  
Thu SOUTHAMPTON (LONDON), GREAT BRITAIN   4:00 pm  
Fri PARIS (LE HAVRE), FRANCE 6:00 am 7:00 pm  
Sat BRUSSELS/BRUGES (ZEEBRUGGE), BELGIUM 8:00 am 6:00 pm  
Sun AMSTERDAM (LJMUIDEN), NETHERLANDS 7:00 am 8:00 pm  
Mon AT SEA      
Tue OSLO, NORWAY 6:00 am 3:00 pm  
Wed COPENHAGEN, DENMARK 9:00 am 5:00 pm  
Thu BERLIN (WARNEMUNDE), GERMANY 7:00 am 9:00 pm  
Fri HELSINGBORG, SWEDEN 9:00 am 4:00 pm  
Sat AT SEA      
Sun SOUTHAMPTON (LONDON), GREAT BRITAIN 8:00 am    

Looks like a bit more than an itinerary change to me. I'd be more inclined to call it a cancelled cruise, with the exception of the same ship being used..

I agree 100%. That is more than just an itinerary change! But the good news is that you still have 15 months to make other arrangements. If I were you, I might just get my money back and see if another line is sailing to Ireland around the same time.

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I agree 100%. That is more than just an itinerary change! But the good news is that you still have 15 months to make other arrangements. If I were you, I might just get my money back and see if another line is sailing to Ireland around the same time.

The round Ireland are rare itinerary.

Some years there are none, some years just high end lines doing something close.

Belfast, Dublin, Cobh are done by loads it's the Atlantic coast ports that are hard to get to with cruises.

6 hours ago, clojacks said:

Finally have some time to look at this today.

After a search for Oct 24, a second party web site still shows the NCL Ireland title, but has the new itinerary instead.

Looking at a cruise ports scheduling site (and destination of Cork), seems like no cruise line sails between Nov and March, either 2023 or 24.  A few that do on either side of those dates are 4 day MSC "milk run" cruises where Cork is the furthest port from Southampton.  

Dublin does get a few those (in that timeframe) and are mainly 15-45 day super cruises on much more expensive lines.

A smaller port like Dingle only gets a few ships per year, and the Star is the only of the big 5 cruise lines.  

So, maybe NCL was simply extending their season there (like they have done in Alaska) beyond what other cruise lines are scheduling to be aggressive in getting customers.  And the Irish Coast Guard recommended (hint hint) that they don't do this, especially for the smaller ports. 

As for "itinerary change" vs "canceled cruise", does it really matter.  Maybe legally somewhere, since cruises are sold in dozens of countries, and everyone's laws can be different.  So they used the path (terminology) of least resistance. 

• Thanks 1

well, again, i don’t think the problem is determining if it’s a canceled cruise or a new itinerary or an itinerary change… it’s the justification for making the change. NCL insists that it’s due to ireland prohibiting tenders or some such… and that may be true. it also may not be. nobody, it seems, has been able to find any publicly available information supporting that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Finally have some time to look at this today.

After a search for Oct 24, a second party web site still shows the NCL Ireland title, but has the new itinerary instead.

Looking at a cruise ports scheduling site (and destination of Cork), seems like no cruise line sails between Nov and March, either 2023 or 24.  A few that do on either side of those dates are 4 day MSC "milk run" cruises where Cork is the furthest port from Southampton.  

Dublin does get a few those (in that timeframe) and are mainly 15-45 day super cruises on much more expensive lines.

A smaller port like Dingle only gets a few ships per year, and the Star is the only of the big 5 cruise lines.  

So, maybe NCL was simply extending their season there (like they have done in Alaska) beyond what other cruise lines are scheduling to be aggressive in getting customers.  And the Irish Coast Guard recommended (hint hint) that they don't do this, especially for the smaller ports. 

As for "itinerary change" vs "canceled cruise", does it really matter.  Maybe legally somewhere, since cruises are sold in dozens of countries, and everyone's laws can be different.  So they used the path (terminology) of least resistance. 

Cobh for Cork has a berth.

NCL have done May  Sept Oct for the Ireland runs using the summer months for Iceland/Norway

Can't check(at sea) what the UK lines are doing they have winter runs for the northern lights

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

well, again, i don’t think the problem is determining if it’s a canceled cruise or a new itinerary or an itinerary change… it’s the justification for making the change. NCL insists that it’s due to ireland prohibiting tenders or some such… and that may be true. it also may not be. nobody, it seems, has been able to find any publicly available information supporting that.

Exactly….I never gave any kind of “inconvenience” compensation or anything like that a second thought. I’m 100x more interested in if I’m being BS’ed to by NCL to move a cruise for some financial reason. If they are, and that’s what I feel right now as no one seems to be able to find this “Irish government tender rule”, than I am going to think long and hard about whether I want to use my 6 cruisenext certificates.

On 7/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, The Traveling Man said:

I wonder if the folks at NCL feel even the least bit of moral obligation to do the right thing and offer the OP either a full refund or significant financial compensation for this egregious alteration of the itinerary.

In othrr words, I have no valid point to make so I wil stoop to an appeal to pity argument.

• Like 1