Name Discrepancy

srobinet63

My drivers license and social security card were changed when I got married many years ago. We divorced several years later and I kept my married name so that I would have the same last name as our children. My birth certificate has my maiden name. I do not have the marriage license but do have a copy of the divorce papers. Do I need to take the divorce decree with me or get a copy of the original marriage license to prove the name change? We are sailing out of Port Canaveral to the Bahamas. 

While you should be fine with DL and birth certificate many people bring a copy of the "bridge" documents supporting the name change, just in case. Since you have the divorce papers that may be sufficient but if you want to be 100% sure having the marriage license wouldn't be a bad thing. For what it's worth, we always brought the bridging document but were never asked for it, which is typical for a great many passengers. I do not believe that I have ever read of someone being denied boarding for lack of the documents.

• Like 2

If a married woman is traveling with her birth certificate on a closed loop cruise, check-in agents are trained to look at the birth certificate to verify that her first and middle name, as well as the birth date on the birth certificate, match her current gov't issued ID.

BC - Emma Rose Ford  04/14/1975

ID  - Emma Rose Smith  04/14/1975 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, srobinet63 said:

My drivers license and social security card were changed when I got married many years ago. We divorced several years later and I kept my married name so that I would have the same last name as our children. My birth certificate has my maiden name. I do not have the marriage license but do have a copy of the divorce papers. Do I need to take the divorce decree with me or get a copy of the original marriage license to prove the name change? We are sailing out of Port Canaveral to the Bahamas. 

Your poster information does not give your location.

If you are in the USA and your driver's license meets the Real ID requirements, then it is sufficient to tie your birth certificate birth name and your assumed name upon marriage as that information was needed to obtain the Real ID driver's license.

If your Driver's license is not Real ID compliant, then your must hope that Ferry Watcher's information holds true at check ins at all US ports. In any case, your problem may lay in trying to reenter the through US immigration with insufficient bridging  documentation for the two surnames (it may take a while at Immigration).

Side note: If you are flying domestically in the US to your cruise, be aware that as of May 3, 2023, if your driver's license is not Real ID compliant, then your must have another form of TSA approved identification.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Your poster information does not give your location.

If you are in the USA and your driver's license meets the Real ID requirements, then it is sufficient to tie your birth certificate birth name and your assumed name upon marriage as that information was needed to obtain the Real ID driver's license.

If your Driver's license is not Real ID compliant, then your must hope that Ferry Watcher's information holds true at check ins at all US ports. In any case, your problem may lay in trying to reenter the through US immigration with insufficient bridging  documentation for the two surnames (it may take a while at Immigration).

Side note: If you are flying domestically in the US to your cruise, be aware that as of May 3, 2023, if your driver's license is not Real ID compliant, then your must have another form of TSA approved identification.

REAL ID is irrelevant for closed loop cruises, any government issued photo ID is sufficient. (Your comment about flying to the cruise is accurate, though.)

3 hours ago, carohs said:

And if you don't already have a Real ID, a passport would solve both the flying and cruise ID issue, and eliminates the need for multiple documents. Just saying. 

And makes leaving the ship a whole faster. After seeing that line on the Liberty Monday morning, I will always cruise with a valid passport. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

REAL ID is irrelevant for closed loop cruises, any government issued photo ID is sufficient. (Your comment about flying to the cruise is accurate, though.)

Right, someone is confusing a Real ID with an Enhanced Driver's Licenced. 

While not needed for the cruising aspect on closed loop itineraries, a passport just makes it easier and eliminates any concern about getting home in case evacuation is necessary while outside the US. 

Also nice to have if you decide to take an unplanned excursion.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

Passports definitely have their place but for many folks it is overkill for what their travel needs are. I live 8 miles from the border and many in community frequently travel to Canada for many reasons. Yes, they could get a passport, but there are less expensive alternatives for them and many (most?) chose those alternatives since it fully fits their travel needs.

For closed loop cruises most US Citizens already have in their possession what they need in order to take the cruise without spending extra money- a birth certificate and government issued photo ID. If they are only cruising once every year or so and that is the only form of foreign travel they are likely to do then it makes sense for them to forego a passport. There are provisions in the regulations that give us the closed loop exception that allow for the waiver of the passport requirement for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons. One has to look at one's individual risk factors in determining whether or not the risk warrants having a passport. The risk for most travelers on a closed loop cruise is low. 

We're planning a cruise with a bunch of families for next April. One of the families would need to purchase 3 passports which would cost around $500. One of the members of the family hates flying and is not sure he will like the cruise, so this may be a one and done thing for them as a family, so they've decided to wait on getting passports. 

• Like 2

Passports are not easy to get anymore.  Most people have to take a day off work.  Also, here is Texas most passport offices are completely booked out 2 to 3 months in advance for appointments.  My son had to drive to a small town about 80 miles from where he lives in order to get an appointment.  I just got off a cruise in Galveston and the birth certificate line was super quick.  

21 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Reread the OP's initial post and the issue I addressed in my post.

The OP was worrying she may not have adequate bridging documentation between her birth name and assumed name upon marriage.

I was giving her options on what she could use if she had certain  forms of ID available.

As I did not know  her state of residency and form of driver's license, I specifically mentioned a Real ID compliant driver's license as her name from birth and other assumed names in use throughout her life would have been needed to be documented to obtain the Real ID (and Enhanced Driver's license if her state is one of the five that offer the Enhanced license). Her possession of a Real ID driver's license would put her mind at ease about needed  bridging documentation.

By the way, Governor DeSantis  today  announced that a Vermont driver's license is no longer legal for certain purposes in Florida state as a Vermont license  may not be  proof of US citizenship.

And for anyone who missed the announcement that with the pushback of the requirement for Real ID compliant driver's license to 2025, as of May 3, 2023 (one month ago), a TSA acceptable form of ID is needed to fly.

While Carnival Cruise lines caters to a certain travel naive segment of the US population and ,therefore, limits  the ports of calls to ports that do not require a passport on their closed loop US cruises,  I should add a  birth certificate and driver's license is not all one needs for all closed loop  cruises from the US.

While  that is all that is needed to enter the US  at the end of the cruise, there are closed loop itineraries  that leave from Florida and Puerto Rico that have ports of call that require passports from cruise ship passengers.  Always check your ports of calls for the requirement of that nation (especially if on a unique Carnival itinerary or a different cruise line).

13 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

By the way, Governor DeSantis  today  announced that a Vermont driver's license is no longer legal for certain purposes in Florida state as a Vermont license  may not be  proof of US citizenship.

This is not completely accurate.  Only certain IDs from those states are not valid in FL. Most people's IDs from those states are still valid. There are numerous news articles that has the details on this.  

30 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Reread the OP's initial post and the issue I addressed in my post.

The OP was worrying she may not have adequate bridging documentation between her birth name and assumed name upon marriage.

I was giving her options on what she could use if she had certain  forms of ID available.

As I did not know  her state of residency and form of driver's license, I specifically mentioned a Real ID compliant driver's license as her name from birth and other assumed names in use throughout her life would have been needed to be documented to obtain the Real ID (and Enhanced Driver's license if her state is one of the five that offer the Enhanced license). Her possession of a Real ID driver's license would put her mind at ease about needed  bridging documentation.

And for anyone who missed the announcement that with the pushback of the requirement for Real ID compliant driver's license to 2025, as of May 3, 2023 (one month ago), a TSA acceptable form of ID is needed to fly.

The same name change requirements are/were true of non-REAL ID compliant licenses and that information also had to be filed with the DMV, so again REAL ID has no bearing. The only license from any state that is proof of citizenship is an Enhanced Drivers License (which I do have). A REAL ID compliant license is only proof that the holder submitted documentation showing legal presence in the US and does not prove citizenship. ETA- I just read one report on this and it specifies that the licenses are not valid if the driver is in the US illegally. Big difference.

Edited by sparks1093

50 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

...While  that is all that is needed to enter the US  at the end of the cruise, there are closed loop itineraries  that leave from Florida and Puerto Rico that have ports of call that require passports from cruise ship passengers.  Always check your ports of calls for the requirement of that nation (especially if on a unique Carnival itinerary or a different cruise line).

Good point - this is one reason why I mentioned having a passport for unplanned excursions.

52 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

While Carnival Cruise lines caters to a certain travel naive segment of the US population and ,therefore, limits  the ports of calls to ports that do not require a passport on their closed loop US cruises,  I should add a  birth certificate and driver's license is not all one needs for all closed loop  cruises from the US.

While  that is all that is needed to enter the US  at the end of the cruise, there are closed loop itineraries  that leave from Florida and Puerto Rico that have ports of call that require passports from cruise ship passengers.  Always check your ports of calls for the requirement of that nation (especially if on a unique Carnival itinerary or a different cruise line).

Many cruise lines offer the same itineraries from the same US ports so it's not just Carnival. Just because someone chooses a different form of documentation then you do does not make them "naïve". 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

A REAL ID compliant license is only proof that the holder submitted documentation showing legal presence in the US and does not prove citizenship.

True Dat. I'm not a citizen, I have a Real ID.

• Like 2