Seishin Lunch Downgrade? Question.

texanaust

We are currently on the Spirit.  Lunch sushi is premade and covered in plastic wrap.  You get three small pieces per serve.  Is this normal?  I thought I remembered sushi chefs making the sushi on the Moon last year and it was five pieces per roll.  

3 hours ago, texanaust said:

We are currently on the Spirit.  Lunch sushi is premade and covered in plastic wrap.  You get three small pieces per serve.  Is this normal?  I thought I remembered sushi chefs making the sushi on the Moon last year and it was five pieces per roll.  

Can't you have as much as you like?

This would appear to be downgraded product. Sushi is better tasting when just made. Sitting around makes the nori damp and flavors lose their freshness. Japanese food is all about quality consistency. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

3 hours ago, AusMum said:

Can't you have as much as you like?

Yes you can order as much as you want.  The product is just not as good as I remembered.  In fact it appears to be the same sushi that is on the lunch buffet in La Terrazza.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, texanaust said:

Yes you can order as much as you want.  The product is just not as good as I remembered.  In fact it appears to be the same sushi that is on the lunch buffet in La Terrazza.

Oh dear

We recently had 54 days on the Moon.  We had lunch in Kaiseki frequently,  and the sushi and sashimi  was made to order,  they also  got a new sushi  chef  during that 54 days !

On 7/5/2023 at 4:12 PM, texanaust said:

Can confirm on dawn now it is definitely not cut fresh and is 3 small pieces per order and is identical to the “platters” on the buffet. A major downgrade from what I had on Seabourn.

45 minutes ago, calm down dear said:

Can confirm on dawn now it is definitely not cut fresh and is 3 small pieces per order and is identical to the “platters” on the buffet. A major downgrade from what I had on Seabourn.

Heck, that would be a major step down from Celebrity's little "Sushi on 5" cafes.  All preped fresh there.  If they try to serve that to me on Dawn in November, there will be a "conversation".

5 hours ago, calm down dear said:

Certainly a change from last year on the Dawn. And in May on the Moon it was made fresh. The standard serve of each dish was 3 pieces but you could order several dishes at a time so your platter would look like this.

ss22.JPG.390278c089bf3b5968fb8c2cdc957bd0.JPG

Now the fish is not fresh but is frozen, but obviously from a good supplier who knows how to freeze the fish and then thawed properly. We love our Japanese food and the sushi and sashimi are of a good standard so on our 54 day Moon cruise we ate in Kaiseki 40 times. Now you certainly will get better in upmarket sushi restaurants especially in Japan but certainly as good as the everyday sushi you get there.

As regulars there we had our lunch served by the chef.

ss23.JPG.c9c8fa3b4beb146d9e00f4478ec4cf66.JPG

• Thanks 1

So an update...I spoke with the F&B manager last night and he stated that the sushi onboard this ship is indeed made approximately 2 hours before lunch and is the same sushi as on the buffet.  He said the sushi at the Kaiseki restaurants (the ones with teppanyaki at night) were made fresh, but not so at Seishin.  Maybe this is due to it being a smaller restaurant???  

Of course Calm Down Dear just posted about the Dawn and they said their sushi was also not made fresh.  Given that the Dawn has Kaiseki, maybe this is indeed a downgrade...

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished lunch at Seishin on the Spirit.  Very disappointing which is probably why only 1 other table was in use.  Sushi is the exact same as La Terreza.  Asked for a simple tuna/acovado roll and was denied as all the rolls are “pre made”.  The sushi chef was simply cutting up and plating rolls from the kitchen.  Also, the rolls were the type you would find at cheap sushi restaurants.  75%+ rice with a little piece of fish. 

What’s confusing is I asked the Hotel Director about this on the elevator the first day and he said each roll was made to order.  Going to try to track him down before we leave. 

IMG_7837.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:25 PM, drron29 said:

Certainly a change from last year on the Dawn. And in May on the Moon it was made fresh. The standard serve of each dish was 3 pieces but you could order several dishes at a time so your platter would look like this.

ss22.JPG.390278c089bf3b5968fb8c2cdc957bd0.JPG

You can even order two portions or 6 pieces if you like.  Was on Dawn in June and the sushi chefs were making orders while we were in there.

On 7/6/2023 at 4:25 PM, drron29 said:

Now the fish is not fresh but is frozen, but obviously from a good supplier who knows how to freeze the fish and then thawed properly. We love our Japanese food and the sushi and sashimi are of a good standard so on our 54 day Moon cruise we ate in Kaiseki 40 times. Now you certainly will get better in upmarket sushi restaurants especially in Japan but certainly as good as the everyday sushi you get there.

Most sushi is pre-frozen EU has similar code:

From Page 89 of the FDA Food code: Freezing 3-402.11 Parasite Destruction. (A) Except as specified in ¶ (B) of this section, before service or sale in READY-TO-EAT form, raw, raw-marinated, partially cooked, or marinated-partially cooked FISH shall be: (1) Frozen and stored at a temperature of -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 168 hours (7 days) in a freezer; P (2) Frozen at -35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and stored at -35°C (-31°F) or below for a minimum of 15 hours; P or (3) Frozen at -35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and stored at -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 24 hours. P (B) Paragraph (A) of this section does not apply to: (1) MOLLUSCAN SHELLFISH; (2) A scallop product consisting only of the shucked adductor muscle; (3) Tuna of the species Thunnus alalunga, Thunnus albacares (Yellowfin tuna), Thunnus atlanticus, Thunnus maccoyii (Bluefin tuna, Southern), Thunnus obesus (Bigeye tuna), or Thunnus thynnus (Bluefin tuna, Northern); or 89 (4) Aquacultured FISH, such as salmon, that: (a) If raised in open water, are raised in net-pens, or (b) Are raised in land-based operations such as ponds or tanks, and (c) Are fed formulated feed, such as pellets, that contains no live parasites infective to the aquacultured FISH. (5) FISH eggs that have been removed from the skein and rinsed.

• Thanks 1

I ran into the restaurant manager the next day and followed up.  As always, SS was more than accommodating.  He asked for a list of what we would like for lunch. We eat the basics. Had it ready for us on our return after an excursion.  So while initially disappointed they came through again. 

• Like 1

On both the Dawn and Moon we were able to order any sushi roll for lunch and delivered in a few minutes. The one chef out front can not physically put together all the items so there is a second fellow in the kitchen who does the lunch bowls and a lot of the rolls. So yes if you are pedantic they are pre made but only in the kitchen and during the lunch service. Definitely not the same as the sushi on the La Terraza buffet in our experience.

15 hours ago, drron29 said:

On both the Dawn and Moon we were able to order any sushi roll for lunch and delivered in a few minutes. The one chef out front can not physically put together all the items so there is a second fellow in the kitchen who does the lunch bowls and a lot of the rolls. So yes if you are pedantic they are pre made but only in the kitchen and during the lunch service. Definitely not the same as the sushi on the La Terraza buffet in our experience.

I can assure you it is different on the Spirit.  The HD even confirmed that the sushi is made up several hours before.  It is exactly the same sushi/sashimi as on the lunch buffet.  

15 hours ago, drron29 said:

Sorry but I am not being pedantic about custom order sushi on the Spirit.  Also, I confirmed with the hotel manager and the restaurant manager that it’s the same sushi except if you custom order.  I’m glad it was different on the ships you were on.