Luggage when leaving the ship

Hello all we are sailing on the Venezia from Manhattan in Aug. Question on Carnival do you get luggage tags the evening before you dock and put your bags out that night? I'm reading about trouble leaving because the hall and stair are full of passengers trying to get off with luggage. Other line we get a color/number and wait where instructed. They call us we all walk out together how different is Carnival? Have a train to catch and need to plan accordingly allowed six hours get off the ship get a taxi across the street and get to the station. Would like to grab lunch at the station for the trip home.

Thanks everybody.

I was on the June 19-27 sailing. They offer luggage tags for you to pick up at a designated place & time the day before disembarkation. (For Platinum, they brought tags to our cabin with instructions to meet in one of the dining rooms.) They also encourage people to take all their own luggage down (that for me is a first—it may be due to limitations in how much luggage the terminal can hold), with the requirement that you meet at an earlier time than the first of the tagged groups. As it turned out, there were just too many people on board for disembarkation to keep to the schedules, and it all backed up.

At one point they halted the exiting for a time to restrict numbers in the terminal. Once in the terminal, it was very quick. I think your six-hour window of time will be sufficient for getting to Penn or Grand Central.

57 minutes ago, carol louise said:

At one point they halted the exiting for a time to restrict numbers in the terminal.

This usually has more to do with Customs not being able to keep up and requesting the ship to slow the debarkation of passengers down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carol louise said:

I was on the June 19-27 sailing. They offer luggage tags for you to pick up at a designated place & time the day before disembarkation. (For Platinum, they brought tags to our cabin with instructions to meet in one of the dining rooms.) They also encourage people to take all their own luggage down (that for me is a first—it may be due to limitations in how much luggage the terminal can hold), with the requirement that you meet at an earlier time than the first of the tagged groups. As it turned out, there were just too many people on board for disembarkation to keep to the schedules, and it all backed up.

At one point they halted the exiting for a time to restrict numbers in the terminal. Once in the terminal, it was very quick. I think your six-hour window of time will be sufficient for getting to Penn or Grand Central.

That will be an issue we can't lug our bag down stairs. I know wait for the elevator, however if we need to meet at say 8:30 and are late due to 45 minute wait for the elevator would we just walk off? If we carry our own bags why do we need luggage tags? Manhattan is a good location for us for a short get away (a week) never had an issue with NCL unclear why we would with Carnival it's the same port.

Thank you so much for this information. We will be fine just need to plan, would be nice if they had separate line for those with passports. With facial recognition it would move right along.

5 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

That will be an issue we can't lug our bag down stairs. I know wait for the elevator, however if we need to meet at say 8:30 and are late due to 45 minute wait for the elevator would we just walk off? If we carry our own bags why do we need luggage tags? Manhattan is a good location for us for a short get away (a week) never had an issue with NCL unclear why we would with Carnival it's the same port.

Thank you so much for this information. We will be fine just need to plan, would be nice if they had separate line for those with passports. With facial recognition it would move right along.

You don't need tags if you intend to carry off your own luggage.

latebloomer, I suggest you do your best to get luggage tags as early as possible. We too had no desire to lug our own bags, but benefited from Platinum being given early numbered tags. When I mentioned "a first" for us, I meant hearing them encourage people to carry their own luggage down. 

• Like 1

I have learned that many people do not listen to the directions and many just decided to leave when they are ready. For example on our recent cruise, when had FTTF that had special debarkation procedures. We were told to meet in the midship dining room at 8:20 but by 8:00 the hallways were jammed with folks trying to carry their monster suitcases of the ship. We could not even get off the elevator.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks we can't carry the luggage, well can if absolutely must but why would we.

you don't need to carry your luggage anywhere. As posted go to the designated spot to pick up the luggage tags, put them on your luggage and leave them outside your door on the last night.

• Like 1

I think the issues with Venezia this past Weds were worse because no one was getting off because of USCBP delays processing things.  If you get the luggage tags the afternoon before and put the bags out at night you should be find to wait on a shady deck somewhere until the bulk of carry their own passengers have got off. We were supposed to be off at 8:30AM and we got into the luggage part of the terminal at 10:07AM so with your 6 hours I'd imagine you'd be fine.

(In more detail - they instructed CYO passengers to wait on decks 10, 5 and 4 from 7:30AM onward. They said we'd be called by muster station groups to actually exit from those waiting areas. But they made a big deal that we must be out of our cabins by 8:30AM. So at 8:15AM everyone was crammed with their luggage into 5 and 4, and no one was getting anywhere. By 9:15AM you couldn't move really and people were pissed. Still no one was getting off so no way to let up on the crowds. By 9:45AM people who had tagged their bags the night before were also sick of waiting and were in the crowds too. They called one muster station around 9:55AM and people just laughed - the public areas were so full it wasn't like people were going to part the red sea and let A4 go ahead. It was poorly managed and I think between 8:10 and 9:30ish there were basically no announcements made. Marq came back on at 9:55ish to tell people off for not following directions, but they basically had - he said you had to leave your cabins by 8:30AM. Basically it was stupid.)

• Like 1