Visas required for Brazil starting in October

According to a variety of sources, effective October 1, 2023, Brazil will require nationals of the United States, Canada, Japan, and Australia to obtain a visa prior to entering the country for tourism, business, and other purposes. The announcement reverses a visa waiver policy that had been in place since 2019 with the goal of promoting tourism. If you are taking a cruise that begins or ends in Brazil starting October 1, this means you apparently will need a visa. However, the online platform that will allow visitors to apply for these new Visas does not yet appear to be operational. Our cruise departs Barbados October 10 and arrives in Manaus on October 24.

Anyone in a similar situation, and if so, do you have any advice?

• Thanks 1

We had to jump through that process a few years ago. It was definitely some hoops to go through (including traveling to a consulate), and if I remember correctly, not an inexpensive visa. Hopefully technology has caught up with it now. 

This is on our radar, too!  We are cruising out of Rio on Nov 7, 2023 and have been checking various sources to figure out how, when and where we need to get this done. Thanks for posting and hopefully one of us will have some info to share soon. Following!

• Like 1

From https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado-sao-francisco/vistos updated on 28/06/2023 17h08.

We are not accepting visitor visa applications for citizens of the United States, Australia, Canada and Japan at this time. If you are a passport holder of one of the countries mentioned above, please do not mail your visa request until the new guidelines for this visa category are published on our website. 

On 7/7/2023 at 1:49 PM, commodoredave said:

According to a variety of sources, effective October 1, 2023, Brazil will require nationals of the United States, Canada, Japan, and Australia to obtain a visa prior to entering the country for tourism, business, and other purposes. The announcement reverses a visa waiver policy that had been in place since 2019 with the goal of promoting tourism. If you are taking a cruise that begins or ends in Brazil starting October 1, this means you apparently will need a visa. However, the online platform that will allow visitors to apply for these new Visas does not yet appear to be operational. Our cruise departs Barbados October 10 and arrives in Manaus on October 24.

Anyone in a similar situation, and if so, do you have any advice?

We are on the Pursuit cruise after yours from Manaus to Antarctica so have the same concern. We don’t leave our home until October 19 to fly to Brazil so we’ll have a bit of time. Hopefully it’s an easy process. I remember going to Brazil back in 2006 I needed a visa and part of the process included a proof of yellow fever vaccination run at a state agency. That required some extra hoops to get.  Hopefully they make it easy. I was going to ask my TA about this    Kent

It might be helpful for Seabourn to say something about the Brazil Visa issue to travel agents and/or customers with bookings in Brazil. Initially, my travel agent (a very large firm) advised me that no Visas were necessary for Brazil -- I had to correct them and point them to the correct information. The current uncertainty is causing some people to avoid or cancel cruises to Brazil as some have stated on this forum in the Ports of Call Boards. 

One thing to remember, if you previously had a Brazil visa (we had previously visited Brazil with Seabourn), they are good for ten years even if it is contained in an expired passport.  Just carry both passports with you on your trip.  We checked our old passports and we have a Brazil visas that were processed in 2017 and are good till 2027.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This morning we spoke to our travel agent, Seabourn and the agency Seabourn uses for visa services. At this point none of them knows what will be needed by Brazil.  We are booked from Miami on 29 September to Manaus on 24 October.  Since we will be on-board the day visas become required on 1 October it is a concern.  The visa agency has recommended we contact them again on 1 September. 

The last time we were in Brazil was 2010 (on a visa long expired).  The process then required that passports be brought/mailed to the Consulate in Atlanta and the picked up/ mailed back to us. We lived in Georgia at the time. The process was about 2 weeks then - before e-visas were in place.

Hopefully this is worked out soon for all of us.

Safe travels!

Mike and Linda

Before they stopped the visa requirement for Americans they had instituted an E-Visa process.  So it is a mater for them to reactivate the web site and update it.  I would not expect the site to become active until 2 weeks prior to the 1 October date.  They could move the soccer net  to a later date.

As many have stated the old process of going to the Embassy was a pain even those who were close to one.

Like most cruise lines Seabourn uses Visa Central/CIBT to process the embassy required visas...  So you should keep abreast there and the government site,

https://cibtvisas.com/tourkits?bookmark=1&login=seabourncruiseline

Edited by PaulMCO

• 2 weeks later...

My TA has been periodically checking on this situation with respect to when the process to apply for a Visa will be ready. Her opinion is that the process will likely open on or around September 1, or the deadline for having a Visa may be pushed back. I'm hoping for the later.

• Like 1