Booking/eating at the free specialty restaurants (Encore)

clbl99

So we have the two free dinners included with the cruise. 

Can we reserve them?

How do we know which ones?

Is it a set menu for the free or a set price? -everything says items are individually priced so how do we know?

Items on menu are individually priced. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be charged at time of payment.

Thanks!

Edited by clbl99
more works

49 minutes ago, clbl99 said:

Can we reserve them?

Yes, there is A LOT of discussion on this forum regarding these reservations.  Here's NCL's FAQ page for dining reservations

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/when-can-i-book-dining-entertainment

If you can't pre-book the times you want, make it a priority when you board, only a portion of the reservations are available to pre-book.

Decide based on the cuisine you wish to consume.

Here are your options - https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

Is it a set menu for the free or a set price? -everything says items are individually priced so how do we know?

Some venues are a-la-carte, two (typically) are cover-charge and are indicated in the listing linked above.  Some items on the menu at the a-la-carte places have an up-charge when using the plan (this will be indicated on the menu), but the entire menu is available with the plan, with a restriction as to how many of each course you are allowed (LOTS of discussion about this part as well!).

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

And if you book online there is no way to easily cancel with a click.  You have to call customer service to make any changes.  So make sure you just aren't clicking the first restaurant and time you see willy-nilly.

Excellent point!

7 minutes ago, elliotlake12 said:

We have free specialty dinning as well, but i,m confused, says "2 meals",does that mean 1meal each at 1 restaurant, or 2 meals for 2 ?

What passengers 1 and 2 are EACH given are listed in the table in this T&C's, based on cruise length and cabin category.

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

If it's the same as our's it should be good for two dinners at two places.  Any kids have to order off a different menu

Third and fourth passengers have to either purchase a dining plan or pay OOP. Kids can too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

If it's the same as our's it should be good for two dinners at two places.  Any kids have to order off a different menu

Kids MAY order off a different menu you they DON'T have to.

1 hour ago, MacGuffin3 said:

They aren't part of the standard free package was the point.  There are no shortage of extra things one can pay for on a boat.

Yes, passengers 3 and 4 don’t get the package regardless of age.

17 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

They aren't part of the standard free package was the point.  There are no shortage of extra things one can pay for on a boat.

my kids are passengers #2 in each of our rooms and my PCC confirmed that they do infact get the 3 free meals that are part of the package.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sarahwalker2007 said:

my kids are passengers #2 in each of our rooms and my PCC confirmed that they do infact get the 3 free meals that are part of the package.

Of course they do. Because they are passenger two in each of your rooms...the others were responding to a hypothetical where the children are guests three and four. Those guests, regardless of age, do not get the dining package. I'm still really confused how we got on the topic of kids.

Also, I'm envious! It sounds like you're going on a long cruise....I want to go on a long cruise. Take me with you, please! 

19 hours ago, elliotlake12 said:

We have free specialty dinning as well, but i,m confused, says "2 meals",does that mean 1meal each at 1 restaurant, or 2 meals for 2 ?

You each get 2 meals. So you get two dinners together. 

Edited by BirdTravels

22 hours ago, clbl99 said:

So we have the two free dinners included with the cruise. 

Can we reserve them?

Items on menu are individually priced. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be charged at time of payment.

Thanks!

Can we reserve them? Yes. dining reservations open exactly 120 days prior to departure at 12 midnight eastern time. For the best selection of dates and times, book exactly 120 days prior to departure, 12 midnight easter time if you can. Sea day reservations and prime time reservations (5:30-7:30) will sell out. The cruise line holds a limited number of reservations for onboard bookings, but booking at the 120 mark guarantees you get what you want. 

Note: Suites get to start booking 130 days prior to departure. Club Balconies and top-tier Latitudes members get to start booking at 125 days prior to departure. So when general reservations open, some of the days and times may already be sold out. 

Note: If you have an odd number of people, just book the next even number of seats. For example, if you have 3 people in your party, book a table for 4. 

How do we know which ones? Not knowing the ship you are cruising on, I can't give you a specific answer. Cagney's Steak House, Le Bistro French, Italian Restaurant, Teppanyaki, Sushi are on most ships. Some ships have Ocean Blue/Bayamo seafood, Moderno Brazilian BBQ, Q BBQ, Los Lobos Mexican, Food Republic are on other ships. Click on your ship on the following link and click on any top level button to get to a navigation menu, then select specialty dining to see the restaurants on your ship.https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship

Is it a set menu for the free or a set price? -everything says items are individually priced so how do we know? At most a la carte restaurants, you get to pick 1 appetizer, 1 salad/soup, 1 entrée, and 1 dessert. (A few restaurants have side dishes and those are included). Anything you want off the menu. The menus on the link above, there will be sample menus. A few items at some restaurant have an additional charge (like Lobster dishes) which you can select and pay the up-charge. 

Note: Teppanyaki you pick one of the entrée and dessert off the menu, appetizers are always the same. Monderno Brazilin BBQ comes with a salad bar and continually carved meats tableside. Food Republic, Sushi, Raw Bar, Pincho Tappas you get to pick 4 items from the small plate menu. 

Here's an example of a "free" dinner at Cagney's 

image.png.e194bc7edfa2c70b73286fc354ec4002.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, MacGuffin3 said:

Kids or people without the dining package do not have to order off a different menu, in fact most children over the age of about 8 will not order off the kids menu.

Edited by zqvol

On 7/13/2023 at 2:00 PM, elliotlake12 said:

It means two meals at two different restaurants.

35 minutes ago, clbl99 said:

Thank you! This was great -very helpful. 

Unfortunate we didn't do the 120 so there really isn't much left to choose from.

When you get on board there will be a place to make dining reservations and they have many times available that you can't necessarily get online,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clbl99 said:

Unfortunate we didn't do the 120 so there really isn't much left to choose from.

Depending what restaurant you are looking at, once onboard check everyday for cancellations, you might be able to get a spot. There is also a spot for reservations, keep checking with them.

10 hours ago, clbl99 said:

Thank you! This was great -very helpful. 

You don't have to lurk the halls for cancellation. You need to make reservations a priority on embarkation day to get the restaurants on the days you want. As soon as you embark, head to the reservation desk (locations vary by ship).  Again, popular restaurants like Cagney's Steak House on sea days at prime time are in the highest demand. 

Is Onda included in the speciality dining package on NCL Encore?

Are any speciality restaurant on NCL Encore excluded from a dining package?

thanks 

Edited by Lobbylin

5 minutes ago, Lobbylin said:

Is Onda included in the speciality dining package on NCL Encore?

Are any speciality restaurant on NCL Encore excluded from a dining package?

thanks 

Yes, Onda is included, as are all of the restaurants. No exclusions. 

• Thanks 1