Encore/Ovation Laundry Room Hours

Kamfish642

Is the laundry room open 24 hours a day on the Encore or only during specified hours?  We are on a 14-day voyage from Athens-Athens in late August on the Encore but there are no sea days.  As such, I'm trying to plan out when to get laundry done around port call times.

5 hours ago, Kamfish642 said:

Is the laundry room open 24 hours a day on the Encore or only during specified hours?  We are on a 14-day voyage from Athens-Athens in late August on the Encore but there are no sea days.  As such, I'm trying to plan out when to get laundry done around port call times.

The Encore has a very good laundry service that is good value.

Why would you want to be in a laundry room on your vacation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:45 PM, Mr Luxury said:

The Encore has a very good laundry service that is good value.

Why would you want to be in a laundry room on your vacation.

Because even with unlimited laundry, articles of clothing do get ruined.  White jeans came back with a blue tint, a puckered shirt came back with half the puckers ironed out (apparently someone realized half way through that the puckers were the style), exercise leggings came back faded, etc.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, whirldcruzrs said:

Because even with unlimited laundry, articles of clothing do get ruined.  White jeans came back with a blue tint, a puckered shirt came back with half the puckers ironed out (apparently someone realized half way through that the puckers were the style), exercise leggings came back faded, etc.  

And, in the case of women's clothing--so many things cannot be put in a clothes drier.  Men's clothing is so much easier to send to the ship's laundry service.  We DO utilize the ship's laundry service for all of my husband's clothing and some of my items.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, midwife said:

I have been trying to find the laundry room on the deck plan. Can someone point me in the right direction please? 

skybluewaters is correct, it's on deck 5. When Encore and Ovation were built they did not have a laundry room. Hence doesn't show on deck plan. The laundry rooms were retro fitted.

• Thanks 1

It actually takes less time to throw a load of wash in the self service laundry than to count up garments and fill out the laundry slip.    Takes a total of 15 minutes or less to load a washer, put wash in the dryer and remove it to our cabin.   We do send the items that need pressing to the ships laundry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

It actually takes less time to throw a load of wash in the self service laundry than to count up garments and fill out the laundry slip.    Takes a total of 15 minutes or less to load a washer, put wash in the dryer and remove it to our cabin.   We do send the items that need pressing to the ships laundry.

We send as much as we can to the ship's laundry service.  They do a great job.  Unfortunately, many of my items cannot be put in a dryer.  Does anyone know if the laundry service every hands things to dry?  I've never asked them--I just wash and hang those items myself.  

14 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We send as much as we can to the ship's laundry service.  They do a great job.  Unfortunately, many of my items cannot be put in a dryer.  Does anyone know if the laundry service every hands things to dry?  I've never asked them--I just wash and hang those items myself.  

Last month on the Ovation, we had concerns about some delicate items. We mentioned this to our cabin attendant, who contacted the laundry, who sent someone to our cabin to evaluate what they could do. They told us they would flag our items and wash them in cold water and then hang them to dry, and everything turned out fine. 

We were very impressed that they would go out of their way to do this.

We also know that we probably can't count on things working out this well every time because they are so very busy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skybluewaters said:

Last month on the Ovation, we had concerns about some delicate items. We mentioned this to our cabin attendant, who contacted the laundry, who sent someone to our cabin to evaluate what they could do. They told us they would flag our items and wash them in cold water and then hang them to dry, and everything turned out fine. 

We were very impressed that they would go out of their way to do this.

We also know that we probably can't count on things working out this well every time because they are so very busy.

I totally understand that we couldn't count on this all the time--but it is so good to hear that they did this for you.  I did ask (via a note) that our laundry be dried on low heat in June and everything came back fine.  My issue is various pants and tops that I never dry in the dryer.  They would probably shrink--which is the LAST thing I would need on a cruise!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Totally agree with Covepointcruiser. We have included laundry but never use it. Easier to use appropriate care for your clothes rather than submit to a very busy laundry. Too many ruined items in the past - including linen shirts caught on rollers. Unfortunately most clothes these days have 5% elastane or spandex (even denim) and heat is a killer. Other than heartbreak for favoured items, if you continue on with your travels after the cruise it is expensive and time wasting - IF you can find suitable replacements.

The laundry is an excellent facility.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

Totally agree with Covepointcruiser. We have included laundry but never use it. Easier to use appropriate care for your clothes rather than submit to a very busy laundry. Too many ruined items in the past - including linen shirts caught on rollers. Unfortunately most clothes these days have 5% elastane or spandex (even denim) and heat is a killer. Other than heartbreak for favoured items, if you continue on with your travels after the cruise it is expensive and time wasting - IF you can find suitable replacements.

The laundry is an excellent facility.

We have found that Seabourn's laundry service works beautifully for all of my husband's clothing.  And, as we each get one free bag of laundry per week, it is great.  I send what I can of my things, and just launder the rest of them myself.  I am not a big fan of spending time in the laundry room while on vacation, but the longer the cruise, the more it is necessary.  I am resigned to that.  And you are so right about favored clothing items. I would certainly not want to lose their utility.  

By the way, during the pandemic, I got a bit lazy at home and started throwing jeans with elastane in the dryer.  They did ok, but changed color, so I do regret doing that and have stopped.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

Unfortunately most clothes these days have 5% elastane or spandex (even denim) and heat is a killer.

Aha, mystery solved! When I came back from our last SB cruise several of my beloved Tommy Hilfiger boxers had suddenly lost their waistband elasticity 😢.  I was pretty sure it was from the SB laundry, but now you have convinced me.  Now to find a good lawyer...

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Aha, mystery solved! When I came back from our last SB cruise several of my beloved Tommy Hilfiger boxers had suddenly lost their waistband elasticity 😢.  I was pretty sure it was from the SB laundry, but now you have convinced me.  Now to find a good lawyer...

Stop buying those cheap boxers