Equinox July 08-16

dock

I’ve enjoyed reading  and appreciated the info gleaned from other trip reports so thought I’d post a quick report of our recent cruise.

Its been 5 years since our last Celebrity Cruise.

Embarkation in PE was a breeze. 
We had a 1230 pm time slot and there were no undue delays boarding, dropped off bags , went to muster and then lunch at Oceanview. 

Booked a CC on Deck 10.

Cabin was refurbished but still looks dated although well maintained and kept spotless by our very personable steward. 
The ship in general appears dated but quite familiar and comfortable in a sense. 

Food:

As expected OV was a zoo but we managed to find a booth for the entire family to sit in. 
Food in OV for breakfast and lunch was awesome. 
Sure there were days when it took a few minutes to find a table but even at the busiest of times it was rarely more than a few minutes when someone would bag a table big enough for all 8 of us. 

Food was tasty and many options.

Salads , Mexican, Indian and Italian were always wonderful choices and delicious.

Great Pizzas and Garlic Knots.

Desserts looked great, but often just missed the mark. Soft, soggy churros. Chocolate and Caramel sauce that lacked the depth and richness of flavour that one would expect. 
Ice Creams and Sorbets were always on point. 

Dinner at OV was definitely scaled back but enough options for everyone  and  personally i thought it was substantial enough. 

Specialities: Murano, Tuscan Grille and Raw on 5 were all wonderful. 
We couldn’t get additional bookings that worked for us but I’d book Murano twice in future.

MDR: service was really good. 
Food was hit and miss. More often a miss for us. 
Breads and dips were great every night and in every venue. 
Cold escargot, watery salads. Panzanella salad with no Foccacia croutons as listed. 
Steaks, fibrous and chewy , unless you paid for a better cut. 
A miniscule , canner sized ( 4 oz at best) lobster. Well cooked though. 
Desserts just ok. 

Kiddie pizza in MDR underbaked  and doughy both times .

Al Bacio - wonderful coffees and tartlets. 

Entertainment:

Apart from the group Legacy( Motown Songs),

I didn’t find the evening shows very interesting. 
Basically all singers performing. 
The magician was quite boring as well and the Broadway type shows meh! 

We really missed the numerous options on Royal as we feel the activities and entertainment was a bit more diverse.

We did book an Alcove on the  San Juan day and it was a great decision. 
Service was great and it was nice to have a base for the group to use during the day.

Ive booked another for our SJ day on our Ascent cruise in Feb’24 as it worked really well this time. 

The only really negative aspect of the cruise was the Salon. 
I pre booked a package and after the service the stylist promptly insisted I had underpaid and need to pay an additional US$69 as I was undercharged online.

I tried to explain that I had booked the right thing but the stylist became more animated and vocal and since my husbands assistant did the booking I let it go as I planned to confer with my husband once I returned to the cabin.

The stylist was quite irate with me and felt I should pay more as in “your country this price would be for two services so why would we charge you the same for 3”

I did inform the stylist that in my country I actually pay half the price for those services and just because I’m from North  America , why should I pay more or tip more as per their expectations.

After checking my bills and emails upon returning to the cabin and looking at the Spa Packages on the X App for my Ascent cruise , I screenshot the prices and went down to Guest Relations and asked them to look into it. The prices online proved that I was being upcharged in real time. 

Due to the agitation and irritation displayed towards me in the spa earlier, I was not comfortable dealing with the animosity personally. 

GR took over the issue and we were refunded the upcharge ,so we were pleased with that. 

Since I had 3 services, and they weren’t going to do a full refund , I was unsure what my reception was going to be at the next service.

Needless to say I was met with annoyance and irritation from the stylist becos I complained and it was not a pleasant experience. 

I went with knowledge and copies of prices etc and this time I was firm but polite and refused to accept the explanation that I “ don’t understand how things work”

This individual was rude and patronizing to me on both occasions in front of other patrons and staff, however I stood my ground and was not going to agree to an upcharge of another US$69 .Not much in light of paying thousands for a cruise but on principle I was not going to cave in to the sob story of “we only get paid in tips. We don’t earn any salary”

I booked a package based on the Spas prices on the Celebrity App and now they wanted to charge me the US$69 for a service thats advertised as C$62 online. 
To clarify US69 equal about C$90. That’s quite a difference when talking about 3 visits. 

I did tip extra as I often do as the stylist did do a great job , but what I did not appreciate is the blatant attempt at an upcharge with no justification. 

I was happy that GR sorted the problem out but I won’t be using Spa or Salon services anymore as the whole experience was very anxiety provoking. 

Ports : the usual E Caribbean ports. We mainly did beach days by ourselves. 
Booked one excursion to St Johns through the ship. It was good. Beaches in ST J are gorgeous. Appreciate the cold towel service on  retuning to the ship after a hot sticky land tour. Hope they never stop that. 

Overall the cruise was wonderful and crew were awesome. 

We’re unlikely to book S class again as we prefer the larger ships with  updated decor and more to offer in terms of entertainment and dining options. Looking forward to Ascent in Feb’24 and will be researching Alaska for July ‘24 on either Royal or X. 

Happy cruising everyone. 

Edited by dock
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for your balanced review.

The stylist was so completely out of line. Services on the ship are outrageously priced but we all seem to book them because they’re a treat. 

I had a bad experience with the acupuncturist on our New Year’s cruise and wrote to Celebrity afterwards to complain - not for a refund but so they’re aware of what goes on in the spa - and I did receive a response and a small amount of OBC. BTW - my acupuncture treatment on the ship was $218 US plus she expected a tip. I told my local acupuncturist that and she was horrified. She charges $90 Cdn and would never expect a tip because as she said, she’s a professional. Very different POV.  

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the shows.  

Don't get your hopes up about shows on the E-class ships aside from the amazing production shows.  

We've seen Legacy three times already - twice on the Edge and once on the Apex.

I agree that their shows are repetitive and fall short. 

I booked 3 Wash and Blowdrys at C$62.48 to be exact,per.
Even though my hair would be considered Medium length - falls at my shoulder  ( price was C$55 per), our assistant booked the Long hair price as hair length  is subjective  and she wanted to err on the side of caution. 

Tip was 18 percent. This was  fully prepaid.

I also tipped more on board.

However , I wasn’t prepared to  capitulate and pay  US$69  for a C$62 service  clearly listed on the Celebrity App and Not listed as “ From  C$62”

Of note , prices had not increased from when I booked  and the service is currently still listed the same. 

I have no extensions, weaves etc that would warrant any additional charges in real time. 

If the stylist felt I was “underpaying “ then my point was it should  be taken up with Spa management as they shouldn’t post prices on the Celebrity App and then change prices arbitrarily. I have to wonder though if they work on commission or get a percentage of the service and not only  work for tips.

I did ask to speak to the Spa Manager but the stylist did not wish to pursue that option.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dock said:

I booked 3 Wash and Blowdrys at C$62.48 to be exact,per.
Even though my hair would be considered Medium length - falls at my shoulder  ( price was C$55 per), our assistant booked the Long hair price as hair length  is subjective  and she wanted to err on the side of caution. 

Tip was 18 percent. This was  fully prepaid.

I also tipped more on board.

However , I wasn’t prepared to  capitulate and pay  US$69  for a C$62 service  clearly listed on the Celebrity App and Not listed as “ From  C$62”

Of note , prices had not increased from when I booked  and the service is currently still listed the same. 

I have no extensions, weaves etc that would warrant any additional charges in real time. 

If the stylist felt I was “underpaying “ then my point was it should  be taken up with Spa management as they shouldn’t post prices on the Celebrity App and then change prices arbitrarily. I have to wonder though if they work on commission or get a percentage of the service and not only  work for tips.

I did ask to speak to the Spa Manager but the stylist did not wish to pursue that option.

Thank you for elaborating.

In my cruise planner the service is for a total of US$129 plus gratuities. I have booked it for one of my cruises.

I think the stylist was very unprofessional to tag on extra charges. The package price is $129 (Plus gratuity) and he/she should not have tried to make more money on length of hair unless if it was long enough to reach your behind or something. Thank you for alerting. I will confirm that before my service onboard.

• Like 1

Totally agree which is why I’ve given a detailed account as I realise there will be some subjectivity in hair length and which is why for the extra C$7 she booked as per Long Hair and not medium length. 

By no stretch of the imagination is my hair long. Lol. Sorry to belabour the point but lesson learned. Always keep copies of their prices and take with you. 
It just left a bad taste. 

Thank you for your review.  We are going on this cruise in a few months.  I was curious if the Concierge lunch was offered on embarkation day?  I think the CC cabin you booked stands for Concierge?

Also, on your excursion through Celebrity to St. John was that "St. John on  your own" or a different one?

Thank you! 

Concierge lunch was offered on Embarkation Day but we opted not to attend. 

We did the St John Highlight. 
Retrospectively I’d do the On My Own. 

The Highlight Tour was nice but apart from driving around looking at the different beaches and with a short beach break, there was not really much else to see. 

I’d book just the transfer through the cruise line and once there take a Safari Cab go to Maho Beach ,spend a few hours and take a Safari back to the ferry. 

Maho was awesome. Water was perfect. There’s a food truck and beach bar and taxis come and go. 

5 hours ago, NBliving said:

Thank you for your review.  We are going on this cruise in a few months.  I was curious if the Concierge lunch was offered on embarkation day?  I think the CC cabin you booked stands for Concierge?

Also, on your excursion through Celebrity to St. John was that "St. John on  your own" or a different one?

Thank you! 

I'm not sure the OP was in St Johns (Antigua) or St John USVI (she said St John's but many people confuse the two) but you can easily visit St John on your own and have much more time on island but it depends on the timing in port as to whether it is worth it for you.

7 hours ago, dock said:

Totally agree which is why I’ve given a detailed account as I realise there will be some subjectivity in hair length and which is why for the extra C$7 she booked as per Long Hair and not medium length. 

By no stretch of the imagination is my hair long. Lol. Sorry to belabour the point but lesson learned. Always keep copies of their prices and take with you. 
It just left a bad taste. 

i always pre book my spa and salon  visits on line at a discounted price...which includes 18 % Grat

(Cruise line standard)

I bring my paperwork and confirm pricing before any service starts.

Only extra I add on is a blow dry for my kerastae treatment on E Class.

I no longer tip extra but usually buy 1  small size product at each visit so the person gets credit for that sale.

if the person was rude and ruined your experience why tip extra??

• Like 1

The Blowdry was well done and I was made to feel “bad “ and “cheap” that I complained and they only worked for tips.

Im also used to tipping 25 % for services.

But eventually as mentioned I wasn’t falling for the sob story of only working for tips as the protestations seemed exaggerated for someone who only worked for tips. 

But you’re correct retrospectively I shouldn’t have tipped extra. Mea culpa . Lesson learned! 
Buyer beware is the message I’m trying to convey and be prepared with all your paperwork as I’m sure this hasn’t happened to me only. Ultimately I just wasn’t going to be browbeaten into the upcharge.

Personally , I don’t purchase products onboard as the mark up in my experience is phenomenal. 

I’m happy with the outcome though as we got the refund and that’s what was the outcome I was looking for. 

Edited by dock
  • Like 2

Thank you for your review. We were on Equinox the week prior so readings about your experience is very interesting to me. I especially agree about the food in MDR which I would categorize as hit and miss. 

I must ask, and please know I am being completely genuine, but why book hair salon treatments on a cruise at such inflated rates?  Are these services not available at home?  I’ve always wondered about this and can understand for much longer itineraries but just wondering what the draw is for ship side hair appointments if land salons are available. Again, genuinely interested. TIA. 

I’ve never booked treatments or cuts or colours etc. 

I always  book Blowdrys.I factor it in as the cost of any holiday,cruise/ land based. At least 2 per week on a 7 day. 
3 if  8-14 days. 

Some pay for  cigarettes  , some pay to gamble , some pay for alcohol , I like my hair Blowdried.(don’t smoke, don’t drink )

I’m a once a week to the salon gal even at home. 

I feel better about myself if my hair is done especially when it’s hot and humid .

I’m aware I’m paying a premium and I’m okay with that. 

Edited by dock
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, dock said:

I’ve never booked treatments or cuts or colours etc. 

I always  book Blowdrys.I factor it in as the cost of any holiday,cruise/ land based. 

Some pay for  cigarettes  , some pay to gamble , some pay for alcohol , I like my hair Blowdried.(don’t smoke, don’t drink alc

I’m a once a week to the salon gal even at home. 

I’m aware I’m paying a premium and I’m okay with that. 

I must admit, having a fresh blowout while on a cruise does sound very nice. Never thought of it but just might on our next cruise as I usually have cruise hair by day three. 

• Like 3

Me too @Georgia_Peaches lol. 

We also take family pics while on a cruise so I need my hair done for the pics lol.

Over the last , almost 3 decades now we’ve taken pics and it’s great to see how the kids and now grandkids change from year to year. 

These pics are also how we found out that it was time for my DH to invest in new ties.

He had been using the same 4 ties in rotation for about 10-12 yrs lol. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I must admit, having a fresh blowout while on a cruise does sound very nice. Never thought of it but just might on our next cruise as I usually have cruise hair by day three. 

if your hair frizzes like mine..I like to treat myself on E Class to the basic Kerastase trtmnt and add the blow out.

Smooth like Silk!

In my opinion,  OP was treated poorly

but an extra charge for longer hair is a  gray area!   She was  handed a  line about pay scale..  If salon workers were not making  money or enjoying  cruise life they could stay land based.

I used to tip 20% or more,  but when they institited a mandatory 18%  auto grat, I decided to go with that.   I also let them know I plan to purchase one small item,  so they need not waste time lining up a half dozen expensive products to pitch..

i enjoy the spa but one has to watch out for  price "games" on cruises!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dock said:

The Blowdry was well done and I was made to feel “bad “ and “cheap” that I complained and they only worked for tips.

Im also used to tipping 25 % for services.

But eventually as mentioned I wasn’t falling for the sob story of only working for tips as the protestations seemed exaggerated for someone who only worked for tips. 

But you’re correct retrospectively I shouldn’t have tipped extra. Mea culpa . Lesson learned! 
Buyer beware is the message I’m trying to convey and be prepared with all your paperwork as I’m sure this hasn’t happened to me only. Ultimately I just wasn’t going to be browbeaten into the upcharge.

Personally , I don’t purchase products onboard as the mark up in my experience is phenomenal. 

I’m happy with the outcome though as we got the refund and that’s what was the outcome I was looking for. 

btw  Elemis  and other products can be purchased online. They  are usually cheaper due to discounts and specials.... I can sometimes get free shipping and  lots of free samples.

The sales pitches are annoying and waste of time!

if you liked the styling done then that's what counts for now..Happy Sailing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dock said:

Me too @Georgia_Peaches lol. 

We also take family pics while on a cruise so I need my hair done for the pics lol.

Over the last , almost 3 decades now we’ve taken pics and it’s great to see how the kids and now grandkids change from year to year. 

These pics are also how we found out that it was time for my DH to invest in new ties.

He had been using the same 4 ties in rotation for about 10-12 yrs lol. 

Hi Dock,

I know this is a different topic , did you happen to notice if there was Bingo available on your cruise ?

(My wife likes Bingo 😁)

Thanks for your informative review .

@horseymike, check the daily planner.

We noticed Bingo on the last Sea Day . I’m not not sure if there were other days. 

Played in the Eq Theatre. 
We didn’t win but it was great fun for the entire family. I hope it’s making its return. 

1 hour ago, dock said:

@horseymike, check the daily planner.

We noticed Bingo on the last Sea Day . I’m not not sure if there were other days. 

Played in the Eq Theatre. 
We didn’t win but it was great fun for the entire family. I hope it’s making its return. 

Thanks Dock. Glad to hear it. 😁

On 7/19/2023 at 4:41 PM, Piaa said:

I'm not sure the OP was in St Johns (Antigua) or St John USVI (she said St John's but many people confuse the two) but you can easily visit St John on your own and have much more time on island but it depends on the timing in port as to whether it is worth it for you.

I assume St. John USVI and we have done it on our own before. I see that the ferry from Charlotte Amalie only runs a few times each way.  But we are there until 6 so that may work.  Just wondering how OP @dock felt the ship excursion was 🙂 

On 7/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, horseymike said:

Hi Dock,

I know this is a different topic , did you happen to notice if there was Bingo available on your cruise ?

(My wife likes Bingo 😁)

Thanks for your informative review .

I’m on this same ship now and yes, we had Bingo offered 😊

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NBliving said:

I assume St. John USVI and we have done it on our own before. I see that the ferry from Charlotte Amalie only runs a few times each way.  But we are there until 6 so that may work.  Just wondering how OP @dock felt the ship excursion was 🙂 

@NBliving the CA ferry is currently not running (off season) and resumes in November so it depends when you will be sailing (and this is the least reliable ferry) but you have the Crown Bay ferry which is a good option also.