Very Stupid Question - Driver's License expiration date?

numberguy

Everyone,

I am almost sure of this answer, but just want to be double-sure.  My Driver's License expires in February 2024.  I'm taking a cruise over the Christmas/New Year's period 2023/24.  The cruise is in Australia and New Zealand, so I'll have my passport.  I don't have to worry about the expiration date approaching for my DL, do I?  I can't think of any reason (I don't plan to rent a car in either country), but want all the the ducks lined up...

--Michael

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, numberguy said:

Everyone,

I am almost sure of this answer, but just want to be double-sure.  My Driver's License expires in February 2024.  I'm taking a cruise over the Christmas/New Year's period 2023/24.  The cruise is in Australia and New Zealand, so I'll have my passport.  I don't have to worry about the expiration date approaching for my DL, do I?  I can't think of any reason (I don't plan to rent a car in either country), but want all the the ducks lined up...

--Michael

If you renew  your DL,  you won't have to worry about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numberguy said:

I don't have to worry about the expiration date approaching for my DL, do I? 

Well, if you're driving to/from the port...

Aside from that, as others have stated, while DLs are often accepted as ID, even internationally, your passport is accepted even more widely.

1 hour ago, numberguy said:

Everyone,

--Michael

Hey Michael, 

There are no stupid questions. And there is no issue with a soon-to-expire driver's license. 

You should absolutely carry your DL on the cruise. Most ports "require" (but don't always check) your government ID against the name on your cruise keycard. The vast majority of passengers would never carry a passport ashore on a shore excursion or beach day, unless it is required. It is a target for theft, very hard and costly to replace, and opens yourself up to international identify theft while on a cruise, if it were to be pickpocketed. There are the very small minority that would argue "what if I miss the ship",,, out of the millions and millions of passengers who cruise each year, there are maybe a handful of people stupid enough to stay in Senior Frogs for one more drink and miss their departure,,, and I assume that you are not one of them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you renew  your DL,  you won't have to worry about it.

Since he doesn't need it for anything he doesn't have to worry about it even if he chooses not to renew it prior to his cruise.

On our last cruise, my daughter brought her passport, not her drivers license. Unfortunately I had booked jet skiing, requiring a drivers license. We also needed her to be the licensed driver on a 2 seater with a younger sibling. Fortunately she volunteered to be the license checker with the clipboard. You just never know, I tell my kids to always have their license, you never know when you might need to drive.

2 hours ago, numberguy said:

I am almost sure of this answer, but just want to be double-sure.  My Driver's License expires in February 2024.  I'm taking a cruise over the Christmas/New Year's period 2023/24. ..

I just re-read your opening sentences. If your cruise is December-January, why would it matter if your driver's license expires in February? Maybe I'm missing something...wouldn't be the first time.

Also, even on the rare instance where an official in a foreign country wanted to match your id to your cruise card, (never happened to us, but I suppose there is a chance), it's highly unlikely that an expired license would invalidate your identity...even if said official even noticed the expiration date.

Edited by schmoopie17

I believe the OP was asking not because the ID would expire during the cruise, but to make sure it didn't need to have a certain amount of validity after the cruise, like a passport (6 months past travel).  

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

Your driver's license may be worth nothing as far as ID outside of your own country. 

Totally incorrect.

Most ports ask for a second form of government ID and a drivers license satisfies that requirement out of your own country.