Seabourn past guest discount not combinable?

JPH814

I just booked a cruise for august of 2024 under the “A sail to remember” promotion. 10% off the regular price.  I was told I would not receive the 5% past guest discount.  Is this a new policy or have I not paid attention in the past?  

20 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

I just booked a cruise for august of 2024 under the “A sail to remember” promotion. 10% off the regular price.  I was told I would not receive the 5% past guest discount.  Is this a new policy or have I not paid attention in the past?  

Hmm... That is interesting.  What would be the point of doing the onboard deposit with the promise of 5% discount?  I don't remember being told it was not combinable--but maybe it was there in fine print?  Or was it not?

10 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Hmm... That is interesting.  What would be the point of doing the onboard deposit with the promise of 5% discount?  I don't remember being told it was not combinable--but maybe it was there in fine print?  Or was it not?

maybe I was not clear...

Not the on board deposit discount.  I was referring to the 5% discount for past passengers.

Maybe I am going nuts....wasn't there a discount for past passengers?  Or am I confusing that with another cruise line.

Specific promotions come with specific T&Cs and are combinable or non-combinable with various other discounts or promotions.  It is not necessary consistent and can be confusing and arbitrary.  I've learned over the years to double check and be skeptical upfront.

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

I think the 5% discount for past passengers has been for certain select cruises, not for all cruises. 

I've never seen that.  I don't think this is how this promotion was explained in the past onboard.  

We have recently booked a cruise on board using the 10% off promotion. We were told that our 5% loyalty discount would be in addition to the 10%. However on our return we notice that the cruise would have been cheaper booked on the Seabourn website or through a TA so don’t think we received any benefit from booking on board. 

2 hours ago, JPH814 said:

maybe I was not clear...

Not the on board deposit discount.  I was referring to the 5% discount for past passengers.

Maybe I am going nuts....wasn't there a discount for past passengers?  Or am I confusing that with another cruise line.

Hmmm... We are certainly past passengers, but I was not aware of a 5% discount for past passengers other than the one you can sign up for onboard paying a $500/per person deposit.  Am I missing something????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I've never seen that.  I don't think this is how this promotion was explained in the past onboard.  

I think JPH814's 5% past passenger discount refers to the Seabounr Club Benefits, which reads "5% Club savings on selected Sailings" on the Seabourn Club Points Benefit pdf. This Club saving is different from the 5% which comes with the Future Cruise Deposit(FCD). In my recent Alaska cruise, both the Club savings and the FCD are applicable. However, it does sound like the new "A Sail to Remeber" 10% discount cannot be combine with the Club saving, or the sailing is not one of the "selected" ones for the Club Saving. I do expect the 5% FCD do apply.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

I think JPH814's 5% past passenger discount refers to the Seabounr Club Benefits, which reads "5% Club savings on selected Sailings" on the Seabourn Club Points Benefit pdf. This Club saving is different from the 5% which comes with the Future Cruise Deposit(FCD). In my recent Alaska cruise, both the Club savings and the FCD are applicable. However, it does sound like the new "A Sail to Remeber" 10% discount cannot be combine with the Club saving, or the sailing is not one of the "selected" ones for the Club Saving. I do expect the 5% FCD do apply.

Getting a bit complicated.  Why not make it especially easy for loyal SB cruisers?

40 minutes ago, malcliz said:

We have recently booked a cruise on board using the 10% off promotion. We were told that our 5% loyalty discount would be in addition to the 10%. However on our return we notice that the cruise would have been cheaper booked on the Seabourn website or through a TA so don’t think we received any benefit from booking on board. 

Can you transfer your booking to a TA and still get their discount too? We have done this in the past and got an extra 10% off from our TA.

33 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Getting a bit complicated.  Why not make it especially easy for loyal SB cruisers?

Yes, it is a complicated and I wish SB can make it easy to understand. I usually just ask my TA to contact SB and ask which promotion and discount are applicable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Specific promotions come with specific T&Cs and are combinable or non-combinable with various other discounts or promotions.  It is not necessary consistent and can be confusing and arbitrary.  I've learned over the years to double check and be skeptical upfront.

This is also my understanding…promos have specific T’s and C’s

Nancy

• Like 1

I guess all my previous seabourn cruises happened to be ones that would allow me to apply the past guest discount.  This is the first time I ran into it not being applied 

On 7/22/2023 at 7:51 PM, JPH814 said:

I guess all my previous seabourn cruises happened to be ones that would allow me to apply the past guest discount.  This is the first time I ran into it not being applied 

@JPH814 The Seabourn Club benefits shows (currently, and from what I remember in the past) that the 5% past passenger (Seabourn Club) savings is available on some but not all cruises — "select sailings" in Seabourn's parlance:  

image.png.cde347466c77aa3c8fdf8da1798d0308.png

@SLSD This is what I was referring to above when I wrote the 5% Seabourn Club/repeat customer/laoyalty discount is offered on some cruises and not others. (I suspect cruises which are selling well do not allow the Club discount.)

@JPH814 When you look at your specific cruise on the Seabourn website, try starting a booking so you can see pricing for the suite level you're interested in. It will show whether the 5% Seabourn Club discount applies. For example, I just picked a cruise at random from next August, and you can see that it shows the 5% Club savings is available:

image.png.cc5257174b25e2eddf62f4dc41574478.png

But checking several other August 2024 cruises, the 5% Club savings is not shown. 

Our most recent Seabourn cruise two months ago was booked under a promotion last year which qualified for a 5% discount for being a Club member, which could be combined with a 5% discount from a future cruise deposit we had previously purchased, and the promotion allowed an additional 10% discount for full prepayment; all three discounts could be combined.

While we were onboard that cruise in June, we booked a cruise for next year; it was a promotion with a surprisingly big 30% discount for expedition cruises — but the terms of that promotion did not allow us to get the 5% savings for being Seabourn Club members; it also did not allow us to use a future cruise deposit for the normal 5% savings.

Neither of our bookings exactly describe your cruise, but hopefully serve to illustrate that which discounts are available, and combinable, under a particular promotion do vary.

As @CalmSea wrote above, we just ask our TA to dig into the details to find out what discounts do and don't apply. 

• Like 1

I've been on 10 (11?) cruises and only gotten a Seabourn Club discount once.  I think they recently expanded it to include more cruises.  The on board booking discount is different.  I've gotten it each time except the first.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ijust asked my TA about Sail to Remember promotion on an upcoming cruise already booked with the 5% club discount.   They came back with the sail to remember 10% but without the 5% club savings.  No explanation I just saw the slightly lower cost and did the math.

It will be the first cruise we have done since early 2020 and was told the $1k on board book in advance we had done was expired which surprised me. 

When we were on last week there were significant savings on certain cruises.  15% or more for us Diamond members, 5% on-board booking, plus if the sailing qualified for the 5% CLUB discount all cumulative. Transferred to my TA who gave us her usual discount.  Very pleased with how it worked out.