Christmas Cruise Help Us Decide

3smithboys

We want to take our 3 sons on a cruise in December but will have to wait until 2024 because of their work/college schedules. We are trying to decide between the Mardi Gras (DH and I have been on a b2b last summer and loved it & just got off the Celebration) or the Vista. We have never been on a Vista class ship before, but we are going on the Horizon in a Havana inside cabin in March. Since we’ve only read on here how great they are, we are coming back here for opinions.

The 2 cruises we are looking at are a 7 day Mardi Gras (regular inside cabin ) and a 6 day Vista (Havana inside cabin.) We are getting 2 cabins and the price difference is about $300- the Mardi Gras is more expensive. 

Mardi Gras- Nassau, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

Vista- Half Moon Key, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

We have never taken a cruise over Christmas before, so we figured getting a balcony on the Mardi Gras during that time of year would probably be a waste. If that’s not the case, lmk. 

Thanks for any help! 

While we love the MG, for us, we would pick the Vista as it includes Half Moon Cay. The Havana area is amazing, and could be especially important during a holiday week.

On the other hand, the entertainment on the MG is really first rate, and perhaps your sons want bragging rights about riding the first rollercoaster at sea.  The extra day is nice as well.  So for me it comes down to whether you want to have an action packed cruise, which would favor the MG, versus a relaxing one, where the Vista would win. 

As to your question about the balcony, I would say yes, get it if you decide on the MG.  The weather is so pleasant in December, you can use it most of the time.  And it is nice to have a private slice of outdoor space to get away from the crowds.   

• Like 2

For us, it would be MG in a balcony (or suite), hands down (we always cruise in December and will be on MG this December as its one of our favs).  I guess part of it for us takes into consideration that the amount of time spent on the ship outweighs those particular ports.  The cruise for us would be more about the actual ship and our activities onboard which MG does not lack. Also, the fact that HMC is a tender port and the time it takes to transport over and back, the crowds on the beach etc. would not make it a more favorable port over another. 

We have been to all these ports more times than I can count so the itinerary would definitely take a back seat to the ship in this case.  Have fun no matter what ship you choose.   

• Like 2

Hmmm, extra day, more free food choices (BIG CHICKEN!), some upcharge that are great (Emeril's!!), great shows and Bolt!  My pick would be MG with a balcony for you and DH and a nearby inside for the 3 boys.

Either way, have a wonderful cruise!!

• Like 3

Though we would prefer HMC over Nassau, if the price difference is only $300, we would choose the Mardi Gras.  It's an extra day of cruising, the food options are much better and it has better entertainment, especially much more comedy.

As far at the balcony in December.  We cruise just about every January and still love our balcony.  The main time it is very cool is later at night.  During the day it is usually good.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Hmmm, extra day, more free food choices (BIG CHICKEN!), some upcharge that are great (Emeril's!!), great shows and Bolt!  My pick would be MG with a balcony for you and DH and a nearby inside for the 3 boys.

Either way, have a wonderful cruise!!

I'm with you. MG for the extra day and newer ship. More food options.

Though I've done vista more than once. JiJis is a favorite and lobster rolls. 

• Like 2

Vista will just be coming out of dry dock.  I personally would opt for Vista if and only if you are in the Havana area.  Havana area in the vista class ships is my favorite experience on any Carnival ships.  Such a nice retreat...especially on a busy Christmas cruise. 

• Like 2

Based on the itinerary, I'd go Vista.  Based on the ship, Mardi Gras.  We did Christmas on the Vista this past year and had a great time.  You can't go wrong with either.  Coin flip for me.

• Like 1