Port side of ship on a northbound Alaska cruise of Inside Passage

pbianche

We are 3 couples cruising the inside passage from Vancouver to Whittier in August 2023. We have balcony cabins but we are all on the port side of ship. I did not book the cruise. One of the other couples did and they did not think of how the starboard balconies would get the view on a north bound  passage. The starboard side balconies are now all booked . This is our first Alaska cruise and my question is….how much will this affect our enjoyment of the cruise. Will we be having to scramble to the common observation decks just like folks booked in the interior cabins in order to get views of the incredible Alaska scenery? Any tips. We will be on the Grand Princess?

1 hour ago, pbianche said:

We are 3 couples cruising the inside passage from Vancouver to Whittier in August 2023. We have balcony cabins but we are all on the port side of ship. I did not book the cruise. One of the other couples did and they did not think of how the starboard balconies would get the view on a north bound  passage. The starboard side balconies are now all booked . This is our first Alaska cruise and my question is….how much will this affect our enjoyment of the cruise. Will we be having to scramble to the common observation decks just like folks booked in the interior cabins in order to get views of the incredible Alaska scenery? Any tips. We will be on the Grand Princess?

Howdy @pbianche from a fellow Texan!

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forumHowever, your thread was off topic there. That forum is for technical assistance. As stated at the top of the forum: Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

Your inquiry concerns a specific port of call. Your new topic has been moved to the Ports of Call - Alaska forum where it will be on topic. Browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

First, hindsight is easy…so I think you might stop worrying about the negative / others’ booking choice.  Since you surely won’t cancel the cruise over this point, go into it with a positive attitude and excited anticipation!  It’s not like you’ll be confined to your cabin. You’ll still see the great outdoors of Alaska from any window or deck on the ship. You could even find yourself self wondering “what’s on the other side” while sitting on a starboard side balcony.  Being out and about assures you’ll see it all with just a turn of your head. The heliport is a great viewing location!   I do admit tho, that having a balcony on any cruise adds to my enjoyment, especially for my morning coffee!  But in Alaska the weather just might force you inside anyway.

8 hours ago, pbianche said:

….how much will this affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

Won't make much difference.  This is not close-in, drive-by sightseeing; the ship will be well offshore during transit and the 'views' won't be that great.  As you approach ports and areas of interest, the whole idea of north/south and port/starboard loses significance as far as what you'll be able to see from your balcony.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, pbianche said:

The short answer is it will only affect your enjoyment of the cruise if you let it happen. I also question your assumption that the Stbd side will have better views, which in my 40 yrs of working in these waters is not factual.

Departing Vancouver, on the port side you pass one of Vancouver's jewels - Stanley Park, while the Stdb side sees bulkers at the sulphur docks. The transit through English Bay, in my opinion also has better and more varied sights on the port side, than the West Van shore on the Stbd side. Once you clear Bowen Island, the sights are fairly balanced, although on the port side you may see the sunset.

Depending on tides at Seymour, most, if not all of Johnstone Strait is at night, although Robson Bight can be around 04:00 - 05:00 and that is also on the port side. Once the ship reaches Queen Charlotte Sound, usually by the time most pax are awake, the views are basically the same both sides. In Hecate, you'll see tops of mountains.

At the Glaciers, the Captain rotates the ship, so both sides get views.

Even with a balcony cabin, I am up on deck for the best views. The Bridge has the best view of the scenery, for good reason, and it's at the front of the ship.

• Like 4

I don't book a cabin based on what I "might" be able to see. I book it's location based on location to areas on the ship.

We've sailed North and round trips and it has never mattered which side my cabin happens to be on.

I'll assume all your cabins were booked next door or close to each other...don't give that up. 

• Like 1

Totally agree with the concept that you will get as much enjoyment as YOU allow. The side of the ship should NOT  affect your enjoyment unless you let it.

The scenery is not small and limited to one magic spot to see it. The scenery is huge, on all sides of the ship, and amazing to see.

• Like 1

Thank you to all that weighed in on my concern about being Port side balcony on a North bound from Vancouver to Whittier. Was just curious and know we will have a great time. 

• Like 1

You will be further out to sea than you are imagining, so it doesn't matter from that standpoint.  

I do like to face the ports when docked in ports but that is a bit of a guess.   You could do some research and see what the most likely docking position is at each port, I have never done that.

All else equal, I would give a slight edge to port side for North bound.   In the mornings when we sit on our balcony with coffee, I would prefer the sun be at our backs so we get good views of the water , dolphins, whales, etc.   In the evening when the sun is in the West, more likely we would be out and about on the ship and not on our balcony.

• Like 1