Passenger with a white fluffy dog so called " service dog"

phillipahain

12 hours ago, SLSD said:

The dog did not wear a service dog coat.  The dog was sometimes wearing a light blue somewhat sparkly coat. 

I imagine that you will mention this ridiculous fact when you discuss your opinions with Seabourn management?  If it wasn't so infuriating, it would be very funny.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 11:40 AM, SLSD said:

The dog did not wear a service dog coat.  The dog was sometimes wearing a light blue somewhat sparkly coat. 

Seabourn should vet (pun intended) these service dogs or emotional support animals by requiring a doctor's statement and a certificate that the animal has been properly trained. If the owner doesn't like it they can sue under Bahamian law.

4 minutes ago, hoya68 said:

Seabourn should vet (pun intended) these service dogs or emotional support animals by requiring a doctor's statement and a certificate that the animal has been properly trained. If the owner doesn't like it they can sue under Bahamian law.

Hey, Hoya68, what school were you?  ☺️

9 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

9 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I bet if you think hard you can guess University and graduation year!

On 7/28/2023 at 3:31 PM, skybluewaters said:

And let's not forget the service peacock that someone tried (unsuccessfully) to bring aboard a United flight in SFO several years ago. 

_99824354_peacock_976.jpg

OMG! Is this for real? Why would anyone think this is OK? Besides the noise and smell and bother to humans, think of the stress to this poor bird! This is so wrong on so many levels! Some people just suck. I'm sorry but they do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Earthtones said:

Rothko1 and Hoya68, do either of you still live in the area? DC native here (and GW grad, but a couple decades later than 68). 

Fraid not. But my son is a senior there now, so I do get up to visit the old stomping grounds every now and then.

• Like 1

Businesses have their hands tied, but I know of nothing that stops fellow cruisers from questioning or criticizing "service" dog owners. I witnessed a good old boy's interaction with a yipping, leash tugging little monster of a "service" dog.

"What an ill-mannered beast," said the good old boy.

"She's a service animal," huffed the owner.

"Yeah, I was talking to the dog about its inconsiderate, uncaring owner that hasn't properly trained the poor beast."

(I have bowdlerized the quote. You can imagine what he said instead of "beast" in describing the female dog.)

• Haha 2

As this pooch did not wear a service dog coat I would have thought that that was quite enough evidence that it is definitely not a service dog, since I understand that they are supposed to wear them at all times.

Unfortunately, it seems that Seabourn know perfectly well that the owner is breaking the rules, and choose to ignore that fact.

50 minutes ago, lincslady said:

As this pooch did not wear a service dog coat I would have thought that that was quite enough evidence that it is definitely not a service dog, since I understand that they are supposed to wear them at all times.

Unfortunately, it seems that Seabourn know perfectly well that the owner is breaking the rules, and choose to ignore that fact.

I was aboard Ovation with the dog, I’ve not commented until now, but your post drew me out.

Indeed it was quite clear the true status of this animal was well known to Seabourn.  Why this specific exception was made I do not know, but no one I met, crew and passenger alike had any sense that this was a genuine service animal.

I witnessed much but not all of the behavior discussed.  Hand feeding, off leash, on furniture etc.  Fortunately, I did not witness the elevator “relief area” incident, this I would have felt compelled to report on the spot in the strongest possible terms.

I have sailed elsewhere with genuine service animals, and indeed made good friends with one owner and her companion.  The behavior demonstrated made it completely clear the animal was properly trained and controlled.  Enough said.

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 11:12 AM, Earthtones said:

Rothko1 and Hoya68, do either of you still live in the area? DC native here (and GW grad, but a couple decades later than 68). 

Live in Columbia MD

• Like 1

Just found this thread and I actually had to take the time to respond. We were on the Odyssey from Vancouver to Juneau, disembarking on July 21st and there was someone on board with a little white dog. I even made a comment to my BF about it because it was my first time on Seabourn and I was a bit shocked. I only saw them a few times during the week, once even off the ship in Haines (the owner was carrying it around), but I never saw the dog with a leash on and it was sitting on the pool loungers whenever I saw it on deck. Wonder if it was the same person. 

51 minutes ago, melissab723 said:

Just found this thread and I actually had to take the time to respond. We were on the Odyssey from Vancouver to Juneau, disembarking on July 21st and there was someone on board with a little white dog. I even made a comment to my BF about it because it was my first time on Seabourn and I was a bit shocked. I only saw them a few times during the week, once even off the ship in Haines (the owner was carrying it around), but I never saw the dog with a leash on and it was sitting on the pool loungers whenever I saw it on deck. Wonder if it was the same person. 

Service dogs are never carried around.  That is a dead giveaway.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Service dogs are never carried around.  That is a dead giveaway.  

Could this have been the same person/dog?  Depends on the dates.  I am wondering if they more or less live on Seabourn, moving from ship to ship.

21 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Could this have been the same person/dog?  Depends on the dates.  I am wondering if they more or less live on Seabourn, moving from ship to ship.

It IS interesting that every dog mentioned has been a small white dog.  I have other information as to identity--not names or anything like that--but cannot post it here.  

• 3 weeks later...

Has Seabourn gone to the dogs? I have asked before on this forum and all I got was attitude from passengers and nothing via those passengers from Seabourn.

And if this fluffy dog cruising thing privilege - which everyone is complaining about -  is now available to everyone, so like why is this a bad thing? Just because these Seabourn “valued guests” thought of it before you and they’re cashing in on your patience? Pulleeeez! Get over it. Seabourn apparently has.

Now, back to my question…

Just sayin’

Happy and healthy sailing!