Princess Boarding Times

Walace

Hi all,

On my last Princess cruise in August 2022 I had to select a boarding time in the app. I’m due to go on another Princess cruise shortly and can’t find any option to select this. I have moved to Platinum on Captain’s Circle since the last cruise so I’m not sure if that has made a difference or whether Princess have changed their boarding process.

To make it more confusing I’ve just had an e-Mail asking me to complete check in, including selecting a boarding time but I can’t find anywhere on the app or website to do this. Have I missed something or am I alright to turn up at any time to check in?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Walace said:

Hi all,

On my last Princess cruise in August 2022 I had to select a boarding time in the app. I’m due to go on another Princess cruise shortly and can’t find any option to select this. I have moved to Platinum on Captain’s Circle since the last cruise so I’m not sure if that has made a difference or whether Princess have changed their boarding process.

To make it more confusing I’ve just had an e-Mail asking me to complete check in, including selecting a boarding time but I can’t find anywhere on the app or website to do this. Have I missed something or am I alright to turn up at any time to check in?

No more boarding times to pick on the App effective Aug 1, 2023 per Princess.

Go anytime during the boarding process, mentioned on your travel summary, that works for you.

• Like 2

Boarding times was always a bit of a joke.  NOBODY honored what was presented in the app...this has finally been announced that it is "going away"!! (Yay!)  SO MANY people have been confused over this one topic!  Princess finally listened and is doing something about it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Go anytime during the boarding process, mentioned on your travel summary, that works for you.

17 minutes ago, Walace said:

Hi all,

Yes to all the above.  As for the email you received, these are boiler-plate things and PCL is notorious for not getting documentation corrected.  That said, the official launch for the change was supposed to be August 1 and perhaps the email will be altered by then (don't hold me to that one!). 

There may be an earlier implementation of sorts.  Who knows?  But it doesn't matter anyway.

Edited by Steelers36

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Boarding times was always a bit of a joke.  NOBODY honored what was presented in the app...this has finally been announced that it is "going away"!! (Yay!)  SO MANY people have been confused over this one topic!  Princess finally listened and is doing something about it.

Except, they already started in FLL as was stated in a live report.  Doesn’t sound like it streamlined it.

Too bad.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes to all the above.  As for the email you received, these are boiler-plate things and PCL is notorious for not getting documentation corrected.  That said, the official launch for the change was supposed to be August 1 and perhaps the email will be altered by then (don't hold me to that one!). 

There may be an earlier implementation of sorts.  Who knows?  But it doesn't matter anyway.

So much for the streamlined process.  No priority line to get into the terminal?

That was my biggest fear, not seeing a priority line until after you get inside and having a green or blue lane.

• Like 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

So much for the streamlined process.  No priority line to get into the terminal?

That was my biggest fear, not seeing a priority line until after you get inside and having a green or blue lane.

Just guessing but I don't believe the priority line has anything to do with boarding times.  Should still be there all the same.  Maybe I misunderstand your concern, though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Just guessing but I don't believe the priority line has anything to do with boarding times.  Should still be there all the same.  Maybe I misunderstand your concern, though.

According to Carmen Roig's latest webinar, there was no mention of priority line(s) - either deleted or continuing.  Could not get an answer during webinar and waiting for response on follow-up questions.  Whether she will say anything in the next one in two days or not is unknown. 

Reports from PE Terminal 2 in recent days indicate a new system is already in place.  Unclear how it is.  A current ship report involved a situation where the ship was late arriving to PE and so expect boarding process was also delayed, so not a good time to get a read on any new changes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

It may be a thing of the past (reason unknown).  IMO, at doors open time, there should be a priority line allowed in first followed by the other line.  Once the flow has begun, it doesn't matter much I suppose.  As long as there is a line of waiting guests outside the terminal, there should be two lines I think.

Some may say the benefit text reads "priority boarding".  However, the guest doesn't get priority boarding if they do not have priority access to the building and check-in process that occurs in advance of boarding the ship. 

It may be premature to say this is all done and done and could still be a work-in-progress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I thought that may be the case - oddly my cruise departs before 1st August on 29th July. I’m planning to arrive early - let’s see what happens!

24 minutes ago, Walace said:

I thought that may be the case - oddly my cruise departs before 1st August on 29th July. I’m planning to arrive early - let’s see what happens!

And if you’re leaving from the UK, not sure what they are doing, or if it has changed.

But, just go when it’s best for you. 

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

And if you’re leaving from the UK, not sure what they are doing, or if it has changed.

But, just go when it’s best for you. 

Boarded the Regal in Southampton on July 7.  No one looked at bar codes or boarding times.  It was very quick and easy, we were on board before 11 am.  Rooms were available around 1 pm.  Not able to drop hand luggage at room before they were ready.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Vancouver we had an 11:00 AM boarding time. We were on time but were put into a long queue of people from our ship and another ship. I don't remember when we finally made it on the ship but it was somewhere around 12:30 PM. In Galveston we had a boarding time but it didn't make any difference. They boarded some before us and then boarded us well before our boarding time. Recently they announce that there would be no more "boarding times" but yesterday I got email from Princess telling me to choose a boarding time and to be certain to be there only during my boarding time and not to be early. What a joke. 🥴

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Recently they announce that there would be no more "boarding times" but yesterday I got email from Princess telling me to choose a boarding time and to be certain to be there only during my boarding time and not to be early. What a joke. 🥴

Doubly stupid since you have priority boarding and we were allowed to show up anytime, regardless of any arrival group.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

In Vancouver we had an 11:00 AM boarding time. We were on time but were put into a long queue of people from our ship and another ship. I don't remember when we finally made it on the ship but it was somewhere around 12:30 PM.

As I understand it, Vancouver is a s**t show because in the early processing, all guests from all ships boarding that day are run together.  Seems like a dumb way to do it.  I have not seen the layout nor process there, but not something I look forward to when we decide to do Alaska.  Maybe we will fly to Alaska and do land and then just have Vancouver to end at.

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

As I understand it, Vancouver is a s**t show because in the early processing, all guests from all ships boarding that day are run together.  Seems like a dumb way to do it.  I have not seen the layout nor process there, but not something I look forward to when we decide to do Alaska.  Maybe we will fly to Alaska and do land and then just have Vancouver to end at.

I can confirm from experience that going to Alaska through Vancouver this year in particular has been extraordinarily frustrating.  You're right, at least when we were there in May passengers for all ships were being funneled through the same queue.  After clearing security and customs, some ships were ready to board but passengers on the ships that weren't ready yet were sent to another section with folding chairs (no PES priority accommodation).  Then, as ships were cleared for boarding, the port folks were calling out which ship was now ready, but naturally, as people were seeing others stand up and leave, they decided that meant their ship was ready too, and mass chaos ensued.  Also, on turnaround day, I discovered that Princess was providing passengers with a "Continue Journey Card" instead of the "In-Transit Passenger" card we've received in the past.  When I presented the new card to the security person standing by the "In-Transit Passengers" sign in the terminal, he looked at it and said, "I need a card that says you are an in-transit passenger."  🙄  [Just one more line item on my once-you're-onboard-you'll-be-happy-to-be-back-on-Princess list.]  I'll find out next month if anyone acted on my suggestion to Guest Services once I reboarded to either go back to the "In-Transit Passenger" cards or inform port personnel that "Continue Journey Card" is the equivalent.  SMH.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I got to thinking after I posted my last comment that I do not in any way want to dissuade you from considering an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver.  In years past, I have very much looked forward to going to Vancouver and found it a great city to get around and spend some time in.  I sincerely hope that the issues we encountered at the terminal in May have been mostly resolved by now. 😊 

4 hours ago, kamelia said:

I got to thinking after I posted my last comment that I do not in any way want to dissuade you from considering an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver.  In years past, I have very much looked forward to going to Vancouver and found it a great city to get around and spend some time in.  I sincerely hope that the issues we encountered at the terminal in May have been mostly resolved by now. 😊 

Been to Vancouver enough times that it isn't a concern.  I'd rather have an evening in Victoria, TBH, in order to visit an old favorite restaurant.

• Like 1

I was just on the Princess app checking my October 19th departure from Vancouver on the Crown and I went to arrival times on the app. All 3, early-mid-late say "Sorry! there are no groups available to choose from". Hope they update the app.

The good news is that the Crown is the only cruise ship in port that day according to cruisetimetables.com.

17 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

I was just on the Princess app checking my October 19th departure from Vancouver on the Crown and I went to arrival times on the app. All 3, early-mid-late say "Sorry! there are no groups available to choose from". Hope they update the app.

The good news is that the Crown is the only cruise ship in port that day according to cruisetimetables.com.

Supposedly by August 1.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Supposedly by August 1.

Thanks 36. Maybe I could have been clearer. For my October sailing it has the 3 arrival/boarding time slots and if you select one it gives you the "no groups available". So, the app isn't letting me select an arrival/boarding time. Which according to all the posts Princess has done away with or will starting August 1st. 

2 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Thanks 36. Maybe I could have been clearer. For my October sailing it has the 3 arrival/boarding time slots and if you select one it gives you the "no groups available". So, the app isn't letting me select an arrival/boarding time. Which according to all the posts Princess has done away with or will starting August 1st. 

My thought is your boarding times have not been released for your Oct sailing. Times opened up around the 60 day mark for my September cruise. I got the same “no groups available”. I checked daily closer to 60 days.