Is Celebrity going to Eliminate Butlers on Sky and Celebrity Suites?

terrydtx

This is going to be my last question on this thread, and I’m sure nobody could give a crap…but here is my question. There have been 34 pages of this topic, and yet people are still posting what the website says. Are you holding out hope that a website that is generally 75% wrong, or higher, is in this case correct when it still shows butlers in a particular category still listed as amenity? Please don’t hold your breath.

I’m on to the next topic of the day about what Celebrity has changed now….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I just got off the phone with my TA and she discussed the butler changes yesterday with her Celebrity rep. Her rep said there are going to be more changes in the Retreat product by the end of this year, the rep would not say what they will be. I suspect the Team concept may go to all suite levels, just my hunch. So now it begins, Celebrity is going to mess with a great product, that IMO sets them apart from most mainstream cruise lines.

I hope they don't take away Retreat and Luminae from SS guests making the SS like the JS on RCI where no Suite Lounge access for JS and Coastal Kitchen restaurant on space available basis for dinner only. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Up to now the Retreat product has kept me from cruising on other lines with butlers, so I can't answer that. RCL has a "Genie" sort of butler on the highest end suites, but very little information is available on how a "Genie" works.

We have had three different Royal Genie’s and have sailed X Sky Suites 7 times. Here is my comparison:

There is no comparison. The Royal Genie’s are exceptionally personalized. They typically only have 3 or 4 cabins, offer pre cruise communication seeking out your likes/dislikes, what beverages you want in your suite, any celebrations, etc. once onboard they are “all-in” if you want them to be. They check in a couple times a day, handle any specialty restaurant reservations, room service, etc. They often have “surprise” food/items delivered. We have done the genie with a party of 8 and everyone has access to the genie for anything they may want. They meet you at the shows and bring you to the reserved Star Class seats, which are typically in the first few rows, but they will put you anywhere you want to be. The last time we had one in 2022, we set up a group in WhatsApp and all communication was done that way, with almost instant response.

As with X, the price of Star Class has increased dramatically and is now out of our “value” zone. I’m 2022 on Harmony of the Seas, we had the 4-bedroom Villa Suite for the 8 of us, at less than $350pppd. Now it’s double. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I hope they don't take away Retreat and Luminae from SS guests making the SS like the JS on RCI where no Suite Lounge access for JS and Coastal Kitchen restaurant on space available basis for dinner only. 

That is my fear as the new CEO seems intent on the  Royalization of Celebrity.

26 minutes ago, clojacks said:

This is going to be my last question on this thread, and I’m sure nobody could give a crap…but here is my question. There have been 34 pages of this topic, and yet people are still posting what the website says. Are you holding out hope that a website that is generally 75% wrong, or higher, is in this case correct when it still shows butlers in a particular category still listed as amenity? Please don’t hold your breath.

I’m on to the next topic of the day about what Celebrity has changed now….

The website is being changed to reflect the change as noted above in this thread. 

Edited by terrydtx

I have never stayed in a suite. However, for what Celebrity is charging for the lower classes of suites, I personally think they should give their passengers something for their money by including butler service for all classes of suites. I don't think the suites are worth what they are charging. I have eaten in Luminae as a guest of a suite passenger, I didn't think the quality of food was that much better where i would pay what they are charging. Just my opinion. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

This is what I am expecting to see next. 

Patty 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cw2go said:

This is what I am expecting to see next. 

Patty 

Considering that the E Class ships were built and designed to handle the larger number of SS compared to M & S class ship, with a larger Luminae and Retreat Lounge, which would become ghost towns. This would totally devalue the SS and all that would be left is a larger cabin in size. SS's are selling out on almost every cruise and there would no longer be a reason to book one. I cannot see it happening but with the new management anything is possible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Considering that the E Class ships were built and designed to handle the larger number of SS compared to M & S class ship, with a larger Luminae and Retreat Lounge, which would become ghost towns. This would totally devalue the SS and all that would be left is a larger cabin in size. SS's are selling out on almost every cruise and there would no longer be a reason to book one. I cannot see it happening but with the new management anything is possible.

People would still get the Traditional Balconies, Larger Room, Pool Area and it would likely include more OBC.

Just a guess? Really no clue! I don't sail in suites but at this point I wouldn't be surprised.

Patty 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cw2go said:

People would still get the Traditional Balconies, Larger Room, Pool Area and it would likely include more OBC.

Just a guess? Really no clue! I don't sail in suites but at this point I wouldn't be surprised.

Patty 

I can see the large amounts of OBC going away or being reduced for Sky Suites before the Luminae and lounge go away. We seldom book any Celebrity sponsored shore excursions and our OBC is usually spent on clothes in the ship's shops. I have some very nice Tommy Bahama shirts I bought on our last two cruises.  We have found small private tours to be so much better in value than what the cruise lines offer.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

On the US site for the Sky Suite it is now showing this - Previously it showed Butler.image.png.385df72f44bf29be247e189afc8fe783.png

Interesting. 

Retreat Butler and team, not Retreat Butler team. 

This would imply, to me, that you have a primary butler, and backup team (just as it has been - when your butler is on break or busy with another passenger, someone available would jump in). Folks have reported that X is telling them it's just a team, you get whoever is available when you call.

Celbrity's stellar communication strikes again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

How do we know what conditions we booked under?  Changes like that are pretty significant.  Do I need a lawyer?

21 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I can see the large amounts of OBC going away or being reduced for Sky Suites before the Luminae and lounge go away. We seldom book any Celebrity sponsored shore excursions and our OBC is usually spent on clothes in the ship's shops. I have some very nice Tommy Bahama shirts I bought on our last two cruises.  We have found small private tours to be so much better in value than what the cruise lines offer.

I agree from your point of view, the experienced traveler but I am looking at this from the point of view of the new younger demographic. The food cuts by eliminating Luminae would be beneficial. Many new cruisers stick with Cel tours and would see the OBC as a bonus. I am looking at this from their angle and their vision for reaching their new targeted guests. 🤷‍♀️

Shoot I have no idea what anyone is thinking, just spit balling like the rest of you 😜

Patty 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

JS on RCI are also selling out and are significantly more $$$ than a balcony cabin. 

We are Elite Plus so have been very loyal to Celebrity. We have always loved the product and, while disappointed with some of the cost cutting measures like no champagne at embarkation, increased specialty dining prices, and elimination of trivia prizes, we have just shrugged off those changes. However, between the recent vaping debacle and the elimination of personal butlers, Celebrity has now really, really rubbed me the wrong way.  I am angry at the complete lack of communication to this "bait and switch" and their not offering ANY gesture of goodwill to help compensate for a major perk they prominently advertised and have taken away for my two 2024 cruises in a Sky Suite. Plus, we are now locked into nonrefundable deposits (that they coincidentally just increased recently). Not a good business decision to piss off loyal customers as I will no longer tout this line to my friends as I have in the past and I will absolutely look at other vacation options given the price point of suites. As others have said, do we really need a butler? No, but that is not the point. We had budgeted carefully for the past 2 years and thought long and hard about where to spend our vacation dollars. At $500pp per night [$1000 daily per couple] --more than double the price of a veranda-- that is a lot of money for our upcoming 2 cruises in a Sky Suite. Also, with All-Included, we really don't benefit from most of the Elite Plus perks we earned. We are not demanding customers but, for that kind of money we do expect a certain level of "pampering" (i.e. good food, anticipation of needs, prompt service, twice daily housekeeping, etc.) and a relatively seamless vacation. For the same amount of money we could have very easily booked a five-star hotel instead. Yes, I know these are "elitist-sounding" first-world problems but I hate feeling ripped off.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OceanCruise said:

We are Elite Plus so have been very loyal to Celebrity. We have always loved the product and, while disappointed with some of the cost cutting measures like no champagne at embarkation, increased specialty dining prices, and elimination of trivia prizes, we have just shrugged off those changes. However, between the recent vaping debacle and the elimination of personal butlers, Celebrity has now really, really rubbed me the wrong way.  I am angry at the complete lack of communication to this "bait and switch" and their not offering ANY gesture of goodwill to help compensate for a major perk they prominently advertised and have taken away for my two 2024 cruises in a Sky Suite. Plus, we are now locked into nonrefundable deposits (that they coincidentally just increased recently). Not a good business decision to piss off loyal customers as I will no longer tout this line to my friends as I have in the past and I will absolutely look at other vacation options given the price point of suites. As others have said, do we really need a butler? No, but that is not the point. We had budgeted carefully for the past 2 years and thought long and hard about where to spend our vacation dollars. At $500pp per night [$1000 daily per couple] --more than double the price of a veranda-- that is a lot of money for our upcoming 2 cruises in a Sky Suite. Also, with All-Included, we really don't benefit from most of the Elite Plus perks we earned. We are not demanding customers but, for that kind of money we do expect a certain level of "pampering" (i.e. good food, anticipation of needs, prompt service, twice daily housekeeping, etc.) and a relatively seamless vacation. For the same amount of money we could have very easily booked a five-star hotel instead. Yes, I know these are "elitist-sounding" first-world problems but I hate feeling ripped off.

Well said and how many of us feel. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

We are paying for their debt problem now.  That’s what it’s about at the core.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

I agree and you thoughts are close to mine. We are Elite and will be Elite plus after our 3 upcoming cruises, but I no longer care about loyalty programs when the cruise line no longer cares about their most loyal customers.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

JS on RCI are also selling out and are significantly more $$$ than a balcony cabin. 

Exactly. Celebrities new target is the Cruiser who has nothing to compare. 

New Fresh Blood, regardless of age or income. 

So our choice is to accept and enjoy or sail on, 
Patty 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

On the US site for the Sky Suite it is now showing this - Previously it showed Butler.image.png.385df72f44bf29be247e189afc8fe783.png

So, this is an interesting presentation. Not to make matters worse, but in connecting some dots, such as the rumors that Butlers were let go….what if this means Butlers in the Retreat Amenity Areas such as lounge and sun Decks ONLY.  If you think about it, we could read into it that way knowing what Celebrity does and how people massage marketing stuff….Maybe it really is no Cabin Butlers anymore…😳

Edited by MizDemeanor
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, clojacks said:

You’re kidding I hope. I would say a more accurate auto analogy would be that the fancy new Lexus you saw on the showroom floor had Michelin tires on it, and the one you ordered and received 4 months later showed up with Bridgestone tires. More likely than not, you wouldn’t even notice the difference, but my guess is the Bridgestones may even perform better if their rating is more appropriate for your locale. Except you saw on  Social Media that Lexus decided to start putting Bridgestones on their cars, because they have shown to be a good switch for where you live….but you know Lexus changed the tires without telling you.

(To be fair, we had a Lexus that we traded in after 1 year, because we weren’t that thrilled with the technology in it. The car we have that has much more instinctive tech features? Our Toyota).

If you want to go with that analogy, since the Butler service is actually one of Celebrity's 3/4 key selling features of suites, a more accurate analogy was if the custom heated leather seats with a patterned colour and stitching that were sold as a key feature, instead get delivered as base generic leather seats with no logo, stitching or colouring.

But hey, they're still leather seats.

• Like 1