Is Celebrity going to Eliminate Butlers on Sky and Celebrity Suites?

terrydtx

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Make a list of benefits.  Then make a list of which benefits were taken away because Celebrity is struggling financially.  I have one year and a half to think about this.

I get all the reasons for the complaining and posting by everyone. What I don't get, is what is going to be posted that is new info after 36 pages? There are almost no new posters entering the arena here. Is the intention just to have an outlet to vent or is it to try to convince others they are making a mistake if they book with Celebrity? I'm pretty sure most knowledgeable posters in here with hundreds, if not thousands of posts, realize that none of this is unique to Celebrity! EVERY SINGLE CRUISE LINE is facing their own financial battles and handling them in some fashion that is going to piss off some subset of passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, clojacks said:

I get all the reasons for the complaining and posting by everyone. What I don't get, is what is going to be posted that is new info after 36 pages? There are almost no new posters entering the arena here. Is the intention just to have an outlet to vent or is it to try to convince others they are making a mistake if they book with Celebrity? I'm pretty sure most knowledgeable posters in here with hundreds, if not thousands of posts, realize that none of this is unique to Celebrity! EVERY SINGLE CRUISE LINE is facing their own financial battles and handling them in some fashion that is going to piss off some subset of passengers.

Venting and sharing of any new information. However, we are finding DCL has not cut much, and it is mostly because many items are a-la-carte by design, so the prices simply change (Palo, Remy, etc.).  They also did not take on the same amount of debt as RCL et al.  If you look at RCL, most things you pay for a-la-carte (a lobster, filet mignon, etc.) and not pre-paid are mostly fine in quality. The core issue is people feel many items which were pre-paid are no longer.

• Like 2

I just received a call from a Celebrity Executive Representative in response to my email regarding this topic and my B2B Sept/Oct sailings. She advised that "there has always been a butler team in the background" and that they are bringing the team forward mid-Aug with SS's sailings at full capacity. Also, that they "supposedly" have received positive feedback with the upcoming change 😂. We'll see and hoping for the best!

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, clojacks said:

So... we shouldn't discuss the relevant, specific details here?

Or we could only discuss them for, say 5 pages, and then have to say nothing and let the topic die - unless any new information comes out?

• Like 3

We are on Beyond on Aug 28th sailing to Greek Islands. This is the description of our SS now. No mention of a butler. Previously it did say "butler". They do mention personalized service, etc. I think the communication on this matter has not been handled well by Celebrity. With good, up front communication much of the angst could have been eliminated. For us it is not a big deal per se, but for many it is. For us, the issues is lack of notice, advertising a perk and then removing it abruptly, and not providing any type of consideration for the removal of the perk. 

Sky Suite

The perfectly designed Sky Suite offers a blend of expansive views and intimate luxury. These large suites feature a king-sized bed from our signature Cashmere Mattress and a spacious, private veranda. The split bathroom features a large spa tub with shower.

Stateroom amenities

• Premium Drinks
  • Premium Wi-Fi
  • Tips
  • Onboard Credit
  • Exclusive Access to Luminae Specialty Restaurant, Sundeck & Lounge
  • VIP Lounge with Gourmet Bites & Bar Service
  • Private Sundeck with Dedicated Attendants
  • Twice Daily Housekeeping
  • Complimentary 24-hour room service
  • Expanded Room Service Breakfast Menu
  • Priority Embarkation & Debarkation
  • Premium Luxury Bathroom Amenities

Every stateroom includes:

Service

• Our signature friendly, personalized service with a guest to staff ratio of nearly 2:1
  • Twice daily housekeeping service (makeup and turndown)
  • Complimentary beach towel service
  • Laundry service*

Dining

• Complimentary breakfast, lunch, and dinner available in a variety of restaurants
  • 24 hour room service*

Stateroom Features

• Private fridge and mini-bar*
  • Interactive flat-screen television system to view and select shore excursions, order room service, and watch movies*
  • Private safe
  • Dual voltage 110/220 AC outlets
  • Like 1

FWIW (which I suspect is very little), I emailed Celebrity’s executive office yesterday with questions and got this reply today. 

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Executive Offices at Celebrity Cruises. I am pleased to have this opportunity to respond on behalf of our Executives.

I am sorry that I have been unable to get in touch with you by phone to discuss your concerns. 
Celebrity Cruises will transition from a dedicated butler concept to a Retreat Butler and Team approach for all Sky Suites. We are not removing your butler; we are providing our Sky Suite guests a dedicated team elevating the Retreat experience. Rest assured that every aspect of your service that you received before from your Butler will be available to you with our dedicated team. 

Receiving honest feedback from our guests is critical to our efforts to do better as a company. We greatly appreciate your feedback.

We cannot wait to welcome you aboard Celebrity Beyond in September.  Wishing you a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

I just received a call from a Celebrity Executive Representative in response to my email regarding this topic and my B2B Sept/Oct sailings. She advised that "there has always been a butler team in the background" and that they are bringing the team forward mid-Aug with SS's sailings at full capacity. Also, that they "supposedly" have received positive feedback with the upcoming change 😂. We'll see and hoping for the best!

Thats the Celebrity Kool-Aid, how can they have positive feeback on a program that hasn't started yet?

8 to 10 Butlers in a team is not what we had in the past in SS.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Shows how they make things up.

Given there haven't been any sailings under the new process, nor has it been publicly announced, who could this "feedback" have come from? Management who look forward to the savings?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

With going in with a negative attitude how can you have a great time 🤔

Because we can be disappointed and still have a good time.

If a port was cancelled, or if it rained everyday, we would be disappointed but still have a good time.

• Like 2

Venting and sharing of any new information. However, we are finding DCL has not cut much, and it is mostly because many items are a-la-carte by design, so the prices simply change (Palo, Remy, etc.).  They also did not take on the same amount of debt as RCL et al.  If you look at RCL, most things you pay for a-la-carte (a lobster, filet mignon, etc.) and not pre-paid are mostly fine in quality. The core issue is people feel many items which were pre-paid are no longer.

RESPONSE TO ABOVE:

We have cruised DCL many times in concierge (DCL equivalent of Retreat). One big difference is that they don't have any butlers. They have from 2-4 concierge hosts that mainly stay in the concierge lounge and the guests come to them or call them on the phone. On the Wish, the concierge lounge is much larger, better staffed and better laid out than the other 4 ships, but still no individual "butlers" for any size concierge suite - even the Walt and Roy suites. We have found the concierge staff to be very well trainned and very helpful, but no individual room "butlers" on DCL.

• Like 1

I really do hope the 'Team' concept does amount to more than just new jackets for the room service staff...

4 minutes ago, Robert de Beaumont said:

Celebrity Cruises will transition from a dedicated butler concept to a Retreat Butler and Team approach for all Sky Suites.

This does feel like they are going to have a Butler on duty in the Retreat Lounge, and to be honest, that is not a bad idea, it is something that MSC do and it does elevate the lounge service, but that isn't going to deliver the level of personalised service that existed prior to this change, nor is it going to incentivize the Team to engage with the guests directly as they will have no personal connection to them, nor it seems the knowledge and power to do the little extra things that are not explicitly listed for the SS suites...

Beginning August 14th  Celebrity Cruises will transition from a dedicated butler concept to a Retreat Butler and Team approach. This is for all Sky Suites categories, including the Aqua Sky Suites and the Horizon Suites. This will allow for a more efficient approach, providing the same products and personalized services.  

Retreat Butler ownership of:  

In-Suite Dining: with Dedicated Retreat Room Service Attendants 

Mini Bar: with Private Bar Team 

Reservations/bookings/special events: with Retreat Butler / Retreat Concierge/Manager 

Suite orientation/ice/laundry/packing & unpacking: with The Retreat Host 

12 minutes ago, VMI72 said:

RESPONSE TO ABOVE:

We have cruised DCL many times in concierge (DCL equivalent of Retreat). One big difference is that they don't have any butlers. They have from 2-4 concierge hosts that mainly stay in the concierge lounge and the guests come to them or call them on the phone. On the Wish, the concierge lounge is much larger, better staffed and better laid out than the other 4 ships, but still no individual "butlers" for any size concierge suite - even the Walt and Roy suites. We have found the concierge staff to be very well trainned and very helpful, but no individual room "butlers" on DCL.

I did not mention a butler for this very reason. The product is different, but there is a contrast which provides some color which is the a-la-carte approach. The concept of a "drink package" as one example does not make much economic sense when one runs the math, unless you drink ~10 drinks every day. That is too much for my consumption habits and I prefer full bottles of wine that are not available with a package. There are many more examples, but the point is made.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

Mac_tlc is right. You can't compare a Genie to a butler. We sailed in the Royal Loft on Anthem last year for 14 nights and the Genie contact started before you cruise. Genies make things happen beyond your cabin on the large RCL ships which makes a difference and are more akin to a personal assistant on your cruise. It does spoil you. Personally we found the Genie experience more relaxed than the formality associated with butlers on other cruise lines. Going to a show, the Genie has your seat reserved where you wanted not just the reserved section and preferred drinks waiting. What stops me booking again is the Royal Loft is the only Star class suite with a bath and it is pure luck if you can book the Royal Loft. It is a different experience from our prior Celebrity cruises, but no less enjoyable. 

As for Celebrity. I have read this thread over the last few days. Not sailed Celebrity since 2018 as our 2020 and 21 cruises cancelled with the pandemic and we couldn't enter the USA. Now our son is grown and doesn't holiday with us, we have dropped down from an RS to a Aqua SS on Beyond in a couple of weeks. From the comments I am glad we booked our two 2024 cruises in NCL Haven and 2025 on Viking river cruise. 

I do not completely agree.  We had a Genie on RCL and it was no different than when I had a Royal Suite on Celebrity.  I was contacted multiple times in advance - all requests were done when we arrived in our cabin.  Our butler was just as available as the Genie on RCL. We actually had a same leak problem in our cabin and our Butler made sure it was taken care of correctly and even gave us vouchers which we didn't even ask for. To be honest the Genie on RCL was a little too intrusive, she would show up at every dinner location we were at to check on us.

25 minutes ago, kristikae said:

Beginning August 14th  Celebrity Cruises will transition from a dedicated butler concept to a Retreat Butler and Team approach. This is for all Sky Suites categories, including the Aqua Sky Suites and the Horizon Suites. This will allow for a more efficient approach, providing the same products and personalized services.  

Reservations/bookings/special events: with Retreat Butler / Retreat Concierge/Manager 

Thanks for this.  Maybe this “team” can tell me how to get a decent coffee table in my Millennium SS so I can order room service.  

😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, kristikae said:

Where is this posted please?

56 minutes ago, kristikae said:

Yes, I got the same from our Celebrity Rep. He apologized and said that he had just gotten the above today by email from management. It was a longer email than above with some other stuff included. Here is what I got:

Beginning August 14, 2023 Celebrity Cruises will transition from a dedicated butler concept to a Retreat Butler and Team approach. This is for all Sky Suites categories, including the Aqua Sky Suites and the Horizon Suites. This will allow for a more efficient approach, providing the same products and personalized services.

Retreat Team in affected suites consists of a Retreat Butler and team , Retreat Hosts , Retreat concierges , Retreat Manager.

• In-Suite Dining: with Dedicated Retreat Room Service Attendants
  • Mini Bar: with Private Bar Team
  • Reservations/bookings/special events: with Retreat Butler / Retreat Concierge/Manager
  • Suite orientation/ice/laundry/packing & unpacking: with The Retreat Host

• Why are we removing dedicated Butlers from Sky Suites?

We are not removing your butler; we are providing our Sky Suite guests a dedicated team elevating the Retreat experience! Rest assured that every aspect of your service that you received before from your Butler will be available to you with our dedicated team.

• Why are Sky Suites being treated like a lower class of suite?

To enhance The Retreat experience, Sky Suites will have a Dedicated Retreat Team with combined strengths who aim to deliver the same level of service that Sky Suites have always had. The teams combined efforts we allow us to service Sky Suite requests even faster than before. The Dedicated Retreat Team will do everything to ensure our guests never have to lift a finger on vacation.

• Can I have a refund for my future deposits since I will not be getting the same service of a dedicated butler I paid for?

If you booked a refundable/flexible deposit, you can always change or upgrade your booking. If you booked non-refundable, rest assured all services and products will be provided, as expected by each guest. The Retreat team will continue to exceed expectations with an unforgettable experience.

• Will Celebrity Suites and above still have a dedicated Butler?

Yes, Celebrity Suites and the above will continue to have access to a dedicated Butler along with all the Retreat amenities. If guests are currently booked in a Sky Suite, we can assist in looking for upgrades to a Celebrity Suite and above all if guests insist on a dedicated butler instead.

• I would rather have 1 dedicated person rather than a Team of people for a more personalized service and connection.

The Retreat Concierge will personally be in touch with our guests for an introduction and make sure our guests have everything needed on their sailing. They will also have a button on speed dial from the phone in their Sky Suite. Our team members are dedicated to you and ensuring you have a wonderful vacation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VMI72 said:

Yes, I got the same from our Celebrity Rep. He apologized and said that he had just gotten the above today by email from management. It was a longer email than above with some other stuff included. Here is what I got:

Beginning August 14, 2023 Celebrity Cruises will transition from a dedicated butler concept to a Retreat Butler and Team approach. This is for all Sky Suites categories, including the Aqua Sky Suites and the Horizon Suites. This will allow for a more efficient approach, providing the same products and personalized services.

Retreat Team in affected suites consists of a Retreat Butler and team , Retreat Hosts , Retreat concierges , Retreat Manager.

• Reservations/bookings/special events: with Retreat Butler / Retreat Concierge/Manager

We are not removing your butler; we are providing our Sky Suite guests a dedicated team elevating the Retreat experience! Rest assured that every aspect of your service that you received before from your Butler will be available to you with our dedicated team.

To enhance The Retreat experience, Sky Suites will have a Dedicated Retreat Team with combined strengths who aim to deliver the same level of service that Sky Suites have always had. The teams combined efforts we allow us to service Sky Suite requests even faster than before. The Dedicated Retreat Team will do everything to ensure our guests never have to lift a finger on vacation.

• Can I have a refund for my future deposits since I will not be getting the same service of a dedicated butler I paid for?

If you booked a refundable/flexible deposit, you can always change or upgrade your booking. If you booked non-refundable, rest assured all services and products will be provided, as expected by each guest. The Retreat team will continue to exceed expectations with an unforgettable experience.

Yes, Celebrity Suites and the above will continue to have access to a dedicated Butler along with all the Retreat amenities. If guests are currently booked in a Sky Suite, we can assist in looking for upgrades to a Celebrity Suite and above all if guests insist on a dedicated butler instead.

• I would rather have 1 dedicated person rather than a Team of people for a more personalized service and connection.

The Retreat Concierge will personally be in touch with our guests for an introduction and make sure our guests have everything needed on their sailing. They will also have a button on speed dial from the phone in their Sky Suite. Our team members are dedicated to you and ensuring you have a wonderful vacation.

This is a real disservice to the “upper” suites as they will be stuck with one butler and won’t have that efficient experience that the rest of us have.  😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

4 minutes ago, VMI72 said:

This actually looks so confusing, are they going to give us a spreadsheet with who we need to contact for all the different services?  They need to have 1 direct contact for the guest and then let that person figure out who to assign the task to.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This is a real disservice to the “upper” suites as they will be stuck with one butler and won’t have that efficient experience that the rest of us have.  😂

By the end of the year, I will bet money that this team concept will be across all suites.  It is being beta tested with us 'Lowly" Sky Suites.

26 minutes ago, VMI72 said:

we are providing our Sky Suite guests a dedicated team elevating the Retreat experience

I feel sorry for all those in bigger (non-Sky suites)...they won't get the "same ELEVATED level Retreat experience!"  as those in sky suites 😅😂. They sure know how to twist reality and make it smell like roses in the marketing department.

Edited by Accessor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Accessor said:

I feel sorry for all those in bigger (non-Sky suites)...they won't get the "same ELEVATED level Retreat experience!"  as those in sky suites 😅😂. They sure know how to twist reality and make it smell like roses in the marketing department.

I have to remember to not post the same thing twice under different accounts.  😂

34 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

This actually looks so confusing, are they going to give us a spreadsheet with who we need to contact for all the different services?  They need to have 1 direct contact for the guest and then let that person figure out who to assign the task to.

As I read it the change is more in who delivers what you request.  You request breakfast/dinner from  Retreat  Butler and it will be delivered and served by a member of the Retreat Room Service team.  Your requests for items stocked in the mini bar will filled by a member of the Private Bar Team.

Maybe 1 or 2 points off contact for requests going forward, not unlike now with the Butler and Retreat Concierges. 
Who fulfills your request is the change as I read it.

It could add efficiency behind the scenes and will result in more consistency in areas like the mini bar where what you bar is stocked with nowvvaries by ship and butler.

It is what it is. We have a B2B in October so will find out first hand.  
Personally the vaping issue is more likely to drive me away than this change in Butler service.

• Like 2

Just found out that the phone calls are not from Exec office but from the Engagement centre and they had the nerve to send an email 

Customer Satisfaction Survey with the said phone call!!

It just shows how little they care.

Haven’t received the email regarding changes mentioned previously though