Do we get what we pay for on Seabourn?

JPH814

I started this exercise after hearing people complain about the quality of the meals on board Seabourn.  After all, it is billed as a luxury cruise line and we should expect high quality luxury meals.  Sit down breakfast and lunch every day – or at least a buffet with quality offerings and variety. High quality offerings at dinner – either in the steakhouse, colonnade  or the dining room.

I am a believer that you should expect to get what you are paying for.

So what are we getting for our cruise fare?

Cruise Cost

$994

Room

Transportation

Entertainment

alcohol

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

total

$994

My cost is from my upcoming cruise in veranda suit deck 5 for 2 people.  Not including port fees and taxes. 

I estimate a hotel room or suite of this size with a balcony would be at least $250.  I added 20% gratuity.  Your gratuity might be less. The room might certainly be more - especially one on the water.

Transportation: The ship takes two people to a new port each day.  I am estimating this is worth $100 per person per day.  Imagine the cost for a train, car or air from one port to the next.  Some maybe more, some maybe less.  I think this is a good – even conservative – average.

Entertainment – this is a tough one.  $25 per person per day for the shows? Lectures? Use of the gym? Who knows…but I had to include something.

Alcohol.  Here is potential variable.  I assumed 5 drinks per person at $15 per drink plus 20% gratuity.  3 glasses of wines at diner.  One or 2 at lunch.  Pre-dinner cocktail.  Post dinner in the lounge.  Booze in my room.  Drinks around the pool.  I think 5 per person per day is conservative for us.

Now the food

Breakfast – I assumed $15 per person per day plus 20%.   I think conservative.  A full buffet breakfast at a land restaurant would be at least $15.  A sit down breakfast a Denny's would be at least $15 and I am sure we can agree this beats Denny's

Lunch – I assume a little more here.  $20 per person per day plus 20%.  I know I have spent a lot more than that for a full buffet lunch.  I cheesesteak, fries  and soda in Philadelphia costs at least $15.  For a sit down lunch, it has to be more than $20.  Again, I am being conservative.

So if you accept my accounting above, what does that leave for dinner out of our $994 per day?

$180 per couple. $75 per person plus 20%

What do you get for $75?

• Every night, a choice of salmon, Dover Sole, New Your Strip.  Each night a revolving menu of pastas, meats, seafood. (As for me not occasionally more than one entrée.)
  • Or the steakhouse with lobster thermidor, and other specialties.
  • Or sushi. 
  • At least three courses – appetizers, salads, soup, a cheese course, dessert.  Coffee teas. 
  • Or any of this served via room service. (Checked the price of hotel room service lately?)
  • Alcohol not included here because I accounted for that earlier.

I know I have missed some things (like Seabourn Square, caviar,) that would eat further into the $994.

So I ask l you, do you think the dinners are worth $75 per person per night?  Do you believe you could get higher quality meals for less than $75 per person?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have thought about a similar calculation for a trip on another line with the difference that excursions were included. I decided that I probably came up a bit short in justifying the total price. But it came close.

Then I thought: Not having to make a decision to spend money for every single item. Priceless.

By the way, it used to be getting a nice multi-course dinner on land for $75 was quite possible. It seems not so anymore.

• Like 2

This is fun.  I think your value for alcohol  is high for some of us lighter drinkers. But overall your numbers seem reasonable to me. For us, there are intangibles that add a lot to the value—no packing/unpacking, no hauling luggage, no time and energy wasted on hotel in/out, no need to make dining reservations, no taxis to/from trains or planes, etc. These are hard to $ value, but they add so much to the cruising experience. 

• Like 3

More or less, I would agree with the figures. I also tend to be a light drinker, so the amount for alcohol may be too high for me. But, I do like to have a coffee or two from the Square, maybe with a piece of cake too, which could make up the difference. At this moment, I think I am getting value for my money at Seabourn. 

I think the V1s and V2s on Deck 5 are pretty good value given that V2s and V6s get about the same service, and on Seabourn even the Suites don't get that much extra service just bigger rooms.

The higher cost V3-V6 and then the suites work their way up to 2-3x that typically.  Then there's list price vs price paid with incentives added in.  I've been comparing some other options and yes I think Seabourn is a "pretty good value" right now like-for-like.  

Seabourn seems to be a good value compared to other high-end cruise lines based on what we're paying for a Caribbean cruise this December.  It is far less expensive, anyway.  

As far as land travel, I guess it depends on what you're comparing Seabourn's prices against.  Looking at @JPH814's breakdown, $300 for a room buys luxury accommodations in some cities, but not most.  Meals prices are again reasonable in some parts of the world, but low in others.  $200 for transportation is downright cheap almost anywhere in the world (I assume you are taking a 7-night cruise).  

I guess my expectations for food quality are a bit lower after reading this forum.  But that's not why we booked this cruise.

5 minutes ago, saminina said:

So your $222 number for f&b per person per day.   Care to speculate the ship's cost?

My guess is $56.36

Nothing too much different from a land based hotel then.

There's always a cost price and a retail price

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Seabourn seems to be a good value compared to other high-end cruise lines based on what we're paying for a Caribbean cruise this December.  It is far less expensive, anyway.  

As far as land travel, I guess it depends on what you're comparing Seabourn's prices against.  Looking at @JPH814's breakdown, $300 for a room buys luxury accommodations in some cities, but not most.  Meals prices are again reasonable in some parts of the world, but low in others.  $200 for transportation is downright cheap almost anywhere in the world (I assume you are taking a 7-night cruise).  

I guess my expectations for food quality are a bit lower after reading this forum.  But that's not why we booked this cruise.

I would not “lower the expectations for food quality” based on this.  On the contrary, I would conclude the food is quite a bargain considering the high quality of the food. 

I more am responding to those who feel they deserve some Michelin star dining experience because they are on a. “Luxury” cruise line. If that is what you expect, you may be disappointed.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, saminina said:

So your $222 number for f&b per person per day.   Care to speculate the ship's cost?

My guess is $56.36

F and b is more like $344.  

11 minutes ago, saminina said:

5 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

I would not “lower the expectations for food quality” based on this.  On the contrary, I would conclude the food is quite a bargain considering the high quality of the food. 

I more am responding to those who feel they deserve some Michelin star dining experience because they are on a. “Luxury” cruise line. If that is what you expect, you may be disappointed.  

Good point.

1 hour ago, stan01 said:

I think the V1s and V2s on Deck 5 are pretty good value given that V2s and V6s get about the same service, and on Seabourn even the Suites don't get that much extra service just bigger rooms.

The higher cost V3-V6 and then the suites work their way up to 2-3x that typically.  Then there's list price vs price paid with incentives added in.  I've been comparing some other options and yes I think Seabourn is a "pretty good value" right now like-for-like.  

Difference between a v 1 and a v 4 is $78 per day per person.  Or 15 percent more.  

suites change the entire calculus. 

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Where are the major cities in the U.S. where you can get a luxury hotel room for $300?  You won’t get a room at the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental for that price.

Agreed. I was being conservative 

3 hours ago, CalmSea said:

More or less, I would agree with the figures. I also tend to be a light drinker, so the amount for alcohol may be too high for me. But, I do like to have a coffee or two from the Square, maybe with a piece of cake too, which could make up the difference. At this moment, I think I am getting value for my money at Seabourn. 

Does this mean that there is an additional cost for an espresso onboard the Seabourn Odyssey??  

5 hours ago, stan01 said:

“Suites don’t get that much extra service just bigger rooms”. I’ve tried both veranda and penthouse suites on Seabourn. And the penthouse suites get a coffee machine; that’s the only extra perk I found. For us, paying thousands more for a larger room was not good value, when the veranda suite is plenty roomy and comfortable. 

10 hours ago, JPH814 said:

When I want Michelin star cuisine then I go to Michelin star restaurants.

I live in London so I'm not disappointed.

I choose Seabourn or Silversea if I want a vacation at sea For all that they offer.

I've generally had good food and sometimes great food.

I have never gone hungry and always had a wonderful vacation at a price point that I think is exceptional value.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, JPH814 said:

Agreed. I was being conservative 

What a fun exercise. Thanks.

But I agree with JPH.  I think at a minimum you need to double the room charge.  In the U.S if you're in a city, you might get a Holiday Inn if you're lucky.  Ritz, MO, FS, start at $800ish for a closet.

• Like 3

Depending where you travel, tipping can be an added pretty heavy cost, same for the inevitable tourist rip off you get if you don't pay attention at every receipt you get.

Two things I love the most:

Tips are included

No upselling cross selling at least on the expeditions ships (not sure about the others)

These are alone worth the money

I don't think upgrading the suite makes any difference, to be honest I actually prefer the basic layout better than some of fancier suites. For example I don't like having the bed in front of window (I prefer it on the side).

12 minutes ago, Khareef said:

Depending where you travel, tipping can be an added pretty heavy cost, same for the inevitable tourist rip off you get if you don't pay attention at every receipt you get.

Two things I love the most:

Tips are included

No upselling cross selling at least on the expeditions ships (not sure about the others)

These are alone worth the money

I don't think upgrading the suite makes any difference, to be honest I actually prefer the basic layout better than some of fancier suites. For example I don't like having the bed in front of window (I prefer it on the side).

To us - specifically my seasick prone wife - suites being on a higher floor is a big negative.  For once an inconvenience works in our favor financially.  And the basic cabin is more than adequate 

9 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

To us - specifically my seasick prone wife - suites being on a higher floor is a big negative.  For once an inconvenience works in our favor financially.  And the basic cabin is more than adequate 

Try singing up as crew,

you'll get a cabin on deck four

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

Same here, mid deck 5 is always my target for seasickness. of course it counts as a V3 🙂